Body for life [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Body for life

fit4christfit4life
01-23-2008, 20:35
Hey guys,

I went out and bought the book Body for Life. I read it in one night and man what a good book. I loved the workout plan and diet plan. I started the program yesterday. I took before pictures, but won't post those till after :whistling:.

Can't wait to see the progress.

Oh, and I went from 268-262 in a week doing misc cardio str training. I'm sure most of that was water weight as im guzzling tons of water now, but was sure glad to see it.

Matt

California Jack
01-23-2008, 21:06
Matt,

Good job. It is a solid program and will give you a good base. If you can handle 2 of the 12 week cycles you'll be at or close to your goal weight. It is a great starting of point for the strength and fitness hobby/lifestyle. I can answer a lot of BFL questions if you have any.

When we did it, we for some meals drank Myoplex for the first 12 weeks. After that I switched to whey proteing power mixed with milk (skim). I liked it better and had the same results. It is also cheaper.

BTW, enjoy the free day.

Good luck,
Jack

fit4christfit4life
01-23-2008, 22:29
Thanks Jack,

I did have a question though. Are the before and after pictures of the people in the book after 12 weeks? Some of those seem impossible to just be 12 weeks.

I looked at the Myoplex and did NOT like the price, man those were expensive. I'm currently using GNC whey protein meal replacement shakes. I drink those 3 times a day and have 3 regular meals a day.

Also, I did not read anything about stretching. What kind of stretching does he do, if any?

I have to say, im very disappointed in my bicep dumbbell work. It was literally embarrassing. I don't know if it was b/c it was at the end of the routine or not but man, it was sad. This is the first time i've used free weights so it's definitely a bit hard/discouraging but I'll tough it out.

Matt

California Jack
01-24-2008, 05:44
I'm not sure about the photos. I agree, some are hard to believe it was only 12 weeks.

As far as stretching, it is not included. My thoughts are to follow the program. If you want to do something extra add asteady state cardio after everything else is done. If you still want to stretch, do it after you complete the BFL program. I don't like to do it myself, so I don.t.

Don't worry about the amount of weight you use. It will improve. Worry about hard work.

On the "Hi-point" level. Push the hipoint hard. THe 10 level is a max effort.

You can find cheaper whey on-line.

fit4christfit4life
01-24-2008, 08:17
What kind of results did you get doing BFL?

Matt

TurboRocket
01-24-2008, 15:22
FWIW, I use Optimum Nutrition's Gold Standard Whey. I use the Chocolate Mint flavor (have never tried another ON flavor). It is yummy with just water. I had it with milk the other day and it was great. Usually, it's one scoop, about 12 oz of water, frozen blueberries, tbspn of flaxseed oil, and a few spoonfuls of applesauce. I may add a pinch of salt if I remember to. It's my standard PWO drink, after which I eat a full meal.

Anyway, ON is about $40 for a 5.15 lb. tub. It might be a bit cheaper on-line, and it will be much more expensive at GNC.

I seem to remember that EAS/Myoplex and BFL were all owned by Phillips a long time ago, which might explain it's ubiquity in the BFL program. I think EAS is now under Abbott or Ross Labs.

California Jack
01-24-2008, 17:41
Matt--

Unfortunately, I didn't own a scale when I started BFL. I believe I started around 230-235. I'm 6'-2". After the first 12 weeks I was down to 205-210. I tried it for another 12 weeks and got all the way down to 190. I felt terrible at 190. I was tired, weak and cranky. That's is when I switched to something else. I did follow the BFL cardio at this point however. I ate similarily too, but I just a a ittle more. I bought an ollympic weight set and started doing 20 rep deadlifts along with clean and press and bent rows. I put on 15 more pounds and was solid and stronger.

SO in total I lost about 30 pounds. At one point I was down about 45 pounds. My blood pressure was lower and my cholesterhol levels improved. I had way better aerobic like conditioning and was faster running medium distances.

As far as physique goes: After the first 12 weeks I looked liked someone that worked out a little. I had some definition although I didn't have huge musculature. After the second 24 weeks, I was too skinny. I looked the best, lean and some small muscles after I put the 15 pounds back on.

What you were after?

Jack

fit4christfit4life
01-24-2008, 18:52
Well for now I want to lose weight and gain str. I need to get below 230lbs to start my flying lessons (if it all works out). I guess those helos don't hold much lol. It's not just the flying lessons, it's a weight that I do not want to go over ever again, at least not in fat.

My short term goal: break 230, gain a lot of strength.

Once I accomplish that: Do whatever I need to remain under 225 and put on as much muscle as possible. I've never been ripped in my life, and I would like to try it once. If I don't like it, well, just stay in shape the rest of my life!

I do have a question. What is the general consensus of coffee usage? I've had to change my workout time from after work to 5am in the morning and around 10am im dieing. I like coffee with no fat cream and no sugar, but am not sure if I should do without.

Thanks,
Matt

California Jack
01-24-2008, 19:11
First, I think what happened to me by loosing too much weight and gaining weight helped me put muscle on. There is a theory in the strength and health world called something like "anabolic burst". This is that if you get really lean and gain weight while strength training, the biggest part of the bulk gained is muscle. It worked for me albeit unintentional.

I didn't gain that much strength fro BFL. Partly because my goal was weightloss and partly because I gain strength better from lower reps.

It is really hard, if not impossible for most, to make gains in muscle mass while loosing weight. I think if your trying to stay under 225 and want to add muscle my suggestion is to get as skinny as possible and than gain weight back while doing a different style of weight training.

Concentrate on loosing weight first.

To gain strength while BFLing, you should really work the squats hard on lower body day. I couldn't do this because of equipment issues.

Jack

California Jack
01-24-2008, 21:40
I see no problem with coffee. However what is no fat cream?

fit4christfit4life
01-25-2008, 01:10
I see no problem with coffee. However what is no fat cream?

I'm sorry, it's fat free creamer.

Matt

California Jack
01-25-2008, 06:17
I knew that Matt, I just don't know what is in it.

fit4christfit4life
01-26-2008, 10:54
I knew that Matt, I just don't know what is in it.

I started adding skim milk instead. Not nearly as good but will do. The 3rd ingrediant was partially hydroginated something or other and I remember that being one of the things to watch out for. I threw the rest away.

Matt

California Jack
01-26-2008, 11:02
Way to go Matt! Sounds dedicated! You're on the way. In fact, you have inspired me to start eating a more cleanly.

Jack

ssHova
02-10-2008, 08:19
hey everyone , i read BFL about a year ago and it sounded good so i started doing what i could with some freeweights (dumb bells and long bar) ...

im currently back at my old house as the ol' lady and me went separate ways... i dont have any equipment here , nor do i have the 100$ laying around to go out and buy some weights...

anyone use iso's or just self weight with BFL??

-hov

DBradD
02-10-2008, 08:47
ssHova, if you can spare $25, you can buy Never Gymless over at www.rosstraining.com. It's a very complete strength & conditioning program and requires almost no equipment. You can actually create a good program with no equipment beyond an area of floor big enough to do squats, burpees, pushups, etc. If you have an exposed joist or a tree outside, you can rig up some way to do pullups also.

fit4christfit4life
02-10-2008, 08:55
man, today is my off day. I can't stand them. I love going to the gym now:shocked: it's also my cheat day. I think im gonna eat some brauts!

I'm about half way to my month point into body for life and man I feel great. I have definition in my arms and legs. Havn't lost much in my gut but i no doubt will as thats the last to go lol. I've added pounds to my weights. i was a little worried about my biceps b/c I never added weight but last week I ended up adding 10 lbs!

Matt

proactive
02-10-2008, 10:12
Very cool, Matt. Keep it up and keep us posted!:cool:

California Jack
02-10-2008, 20:17
Good job Matt. I'm glad you recovered from your episode. Keep at it, it is a great starting point and weight loss program. Enjoy the brats and have a couple of beers with 'em. You've earned 'em.

NeoGlocker
02-10-2008, 23:18
First, I think what happened to me by loosing too much weight and gaining weight helped me put muscle on. There is a theory in the strength and health world called something like "anabolic burst". This is that if you get really lean and gain weight while strength training, the biggest part of the bulk gained is muscle. It worked for me albeit unintentional.

I didn't gain that much strength fro BFL. Partly because my goal was weightloss and partly because I gain strength better from lower reps.

It is really hard, if not impossible for most, to make gains in muscle mass while loosing weight. I think if your trying to stay under 225 and want to add muscle my suggestion is to get as skinny as possible and than gain weight back while doing a different style of weight training.

Concentrate on loosing weight first.

To gain strength while BFLing, you should really work the squats hard on lower body day. I couldn't do this because of equipment issues.

Jack

Dunno much about BFL, but when I started training (again) about a year ago, I cut weight first by changing my diet, running, and using lighter weights and higher reps. If one is to add muscle mass (heavy weights), a healthy heart is an imperative. I cut about 25 lbs. after 6 mos. and over the past couple of months, have put 8-10 back on. Started at 215 and am now between 195-200...which judging by the posts in this thread, makes me the shrimp!

As far as supplements go, the only one I use besides multi-vitamins and glucosamine/chondroitin, is Muscle Milk (in 2% milk). I generally use it about an hour before a workout and always try to eat a meal within an hour after a workout.

I don't have much to add to your post Jack, except to say that patience is a virtue. It just takes time...

fit4christfit4life
02-11-2008, 15:28
Enjoy the brats and have a couple of beers with 'em.

Heh, I've actually vowed off alcohol for the rest of my life. I never had a drop until 3 years ago, next thing I know I got a beer gut. Thats the main reason I gained all this weight. Haven't had a drop in a month and I feel like a different person. I know a couple beers wouldn't hurt, but im not even gonna tempt myself.

Matt

Headed to the gym after this post!

California Jack
02-11-2008, 18:09
WOW! You're more dedicated than I am. Some people have asweet tooth, I have a hop tooth.

ssHova
02-11-2008, 20:01
After talking with ColtC earlier , i do believe i will start with some "informal" working of the out...

Started tonight with :
20 situps (i think im using my legs more than my stomach...i cant do them without feet under the couch.. and that just hurts the feet)...
20 Leg Lifts (flat on back with hands flat towards feet... raise legs. 10 were legs arrow straight , that hurt like hell , the other ten were girly ones with my knees slightly bent...)
about 18 push ups. i have recently taken some shrapnel in the right forearm and it was really getting mad at me around 12 , started feeling it move around a little...

going to look into a set of push up bars that i can put my hands around , that way my wrist isnt at such a hard angle. i used to just do knuckle push ups , but those were also with feet up on a picnic table bench. seems to be easier to me to do raised push up , than regular.

going to go over mom's boyfriends tomorrow for a 2 mile jaunt on the treadmill .

Im thinking for treadmill work :
1mile walking briskly (not hard for me , i have almost 4' step when oprah walking...)
1 mile light jog
1 mile cool down walk. a little slower than #1 , but still faster than the "zombie shuffle" .

any hints or tips?

im quitting smoking right now @ 9:53pm EST , Feb 11th , 2008. Already know thats counter productive to working of the out.

Mood : Tired:yawn:
-hov

California Jack
02-11-2008, 20:16
Thinking tonight is the start of a new me...

FANTASTIC!

I think if you are limited on equipment a few of the S&C members here will steer you in a couple of places. Check out the new FAQ for some direction!

About the shrapnel, what is the extent of your injury?

Good luck,
Jack

California Jack
02-11-2008, 20:20
im quitting smoking right now @ 9:53pm EST , Feb 11th , 2008. Already know thats counter productive to working of the out.
I missed this. CONGRATS! I wish you a lot of success with this. Having seen smoking kill my mother I was never tempted to take it up. But even while she was on her death bed she couldn't stop. Good luck. I wish I could help somehow.

ssHova
02-11-2008, 20:27
its mostly small fragments of high carbon hard tempered steel.

a hammer head shattered while using one as an anvil and banging with the one that blew. i know i know , never hit a hammer with another hammer... i wasnt even hitting...i was trying to stabilize the control arm with a prybar , and was the only one who took any collateral damage.

anyways. 3 pieces entered.

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w258/ytownzinks/l_e7855a165f84861470e7ebd489f9cdb1.jpg
http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w258/ytownzinks/l_82f14c08fcf578a097ab5477559bcaf8.jpg

the big one close to the skin they got out (closest to the wrist). the middle one is <1" away from bone. this is the one that moves around and feels kinda funny.not really funny "ha ha" as funny "wtf" ...

the third piece is a bit smaller than the other two by comparison , but i feel it move when i do certain things. its not nearly as bothersome.

ive seen tow surgeons and they both said that metal like this is inert , and the body will encapsulate it. im not denying the merit of this , but i do believe whole heartedly that they may have been biased from my BWC status.

so anyways... ive already cut out a lot of crap food and drink , but i still have hunger at work where all there is , is a damn vending machine with either good chocolate , or rancid peanuts... i have been drinking an assload of water lately though , instead of the usual iced tea , but i still have tea when i get home. around 1/2 gallon over the coarse of the night.

other than that , i dont really worry about my food intake , because i dont eat much junk , unless you count pizza. then i eat a good deal of junk (at least 1 12" once a week).

i know once i get my metabo back up , i can have some different things , its just the whole work part thats hard.

Diet usually consists of :
Breakfast : Chic-Fil-A Chicken Biscuit w/ mayo , one box potato rounds (hash browns) w/ 2packets mayo..

Lunch : usually something a little heartier since ive moved back home. today was chilli..spicy chilli...
Dinner is always something home made , and made well. Tonight was about as close to a "non meal" that ive had since ive been home . This included Ham , Salami , Sharp Swiss sandwich with mayo and mustard.

Any ideas?
-jay

ssHova
02-11-2008, 20:32
jack : thanks for the encouragement. my mother smokes as well , and i should have learned from her , she will most likely be done in by smoking as well.

you help simply by saying congrats. i was kind of eyeballing one just a minute ago till i figured id see if this post was alive at the moment.. then i saw your post and thought , bah...dont need it.

thanks again. im going to check the local library for Ross's never gymless.I dont mind spending the $25 , but i like to test drive most of my "for use" books. ie: not recreational reading , but something that has a purpose.

I might even check ebay and amazon. if i find one for <10$ ill just outright buy it.

thanks again,
hov

California Jack
02-11-2008, 20:42
WOW, glad I could help.

Hey, so what are your limitations regarding your injury?

I don't think you'll find Never Gymless at the library, but give it a shot. I think in our new FAQ there are some on-line sources that could direct you to some low-tech and low equipment workouts. DBradD, Turbo Rocket and proactive can help you in that direction.

Again, I wish you a lot of success.

California Jack
02-11-2008, 20:44
I just looked at some of the links in the FAQ. Try looking at the simplefit.org. They're home workouts look pretty good.

ssHova
02-11-2008, 21:07
i think i may use that as a base. i want to focus a little more on stomach and upper , but i need to make sure my back is getting worked out too. ross had some type of bench he was doind faceplants with , anyone have anything similar to this they made or use something else with?

i may have to look into a gym membership. luckily a 24 hour is less than one block away.

-hov

NeoGlocker
02-11-2008, 22:59
so anyways... ive already cut out a lot of crap food and drink , but i still have hunger at work where all there is , is a damn vending machine with either good chocolate , or rancid peanuts... i have been drinking an assload of water lately though , instead of the usual iced tea , but i still have tea when i get home. around 1/2 gallon over the coarse of the night.

other than that , i dont really worry about my food intake , because i dont eat much junk , unless you count pizza. then i eat a good deal of junk (at least 1 12" once a week).

i know once i get my metabo back up , i can have some different things , its just the whole work part thats hard.

Diet usually consists of :
Breakfast : Chic-Fil-A Chicken Biscuit w/ mayo , one box potato rounds (hash browns) w/ 2packets mayo..

Lunch : usually something a little heartier since ive moved back home. today was chilli..spicy chilli...
Dinner is always something home made , and made well. Tonight was about as close to a "non meal" that ive had since ive been home . This included Ham , Salami , Sharp Swiss sandwich with mayo and mustard.

Any ideas?
-jay

Sounds like you're making an ambitious NY resolution. Sweet.

fwiw...a few ideas. First off, water with every meal -- no exceptions -- and for heavier meals, do'em at lunch. Try to have a salad with heavier meals and eat it last (aids digestion). If you haven't already, switch to whole wheat or whole grain bread for sandwiches...no more white bread. You might consider switching over to turkey as your lunchmeat of choice and go easy on the mayo. And pasta? I don't know about you, but I love it. If you're having more than two pasta meals a week, scale back and go easy on the cheese. You can mix chicken or turkey in the pasta sauce for flavor and protein. If you do rice, make it brown rice.

Eat until you're comfy, not gorged and don't worry about your weight as much as your waistline. Muscle weighs more than fat so it's likely you'll put on weight while losing inches. And finally, sleep is vital for recovery so don't burn the midnight oil too much. Best of luck!

NeoGlocker
02-11-2008, 23:01
Oops...one more thing. You might consider cereal & milk for breakfast. I like Smart Start in Maple Brown Sugar flavor and I use 2% milk.

ssHova
02-12-2008, 05:01
thanks for the heads up.

i drink a lot of tea because i burn sugar pretty fast.

i used to do the whole atkins deal when i lived at home , as my mom was on it and that was all the food in the house. even with that , i still had to have some sort of fast burn carbs.

i dont eat pasta much , but i do eat a lot of pizza. im going to be cutting that back though.

and i dont really worry about weight , as much as i do trim level. ive seen people run themselves in the ground because they gain weight when they start excersizing . i dont care if im 300lb , if i like the trim of my body , then i am happy. as you can see on my block @ Myspace (http://www.myspace.com/ytownhustla ) i have a bit of a pooch. i just want to trim up and toss on some muscles.

as far as breakfast goes , i get chicken because i feel the protein holds me over better. im a meat lover. cereal burn out around 9am the sandwiches make it to at least 11 usually.
i work from 6-1 (luch 1-2) and then finish the day from 2-6. so i need some long lasting protein. might look into the meal replacements or shakes to keep at work.

thanks again
-hov

fit4christfit4life
02-12-2008, 14:29
Congratz on starting! It is definitely the hardest part.

The first two weeks of eating healthy small meals was horrible for me. I was always starving an hour later. Drink lots of water and eventually you'll get used to it and full until your next meal. I actually just finished a bowl of low fat cottage cheese and an apple.

I get meal replacement shakes. I eat 2-3 a day to fill in the meals. They are pretty good and again, keep me full, but like the meals, you have to get used to eating small, at least I did anyway.

Matt

DBradD
02-12-2008, 15:27
ssHova, wow, I missed this whole part of the thread somehow! I'd recommend to focus hard on diet early on. You can get the most bang for your buck there, as compared to exercise. You need to exercise too, but really put the energy toward your nutrition plan.

The reason I say "most bang for the buck" is that you can nearly perfect your diet in a matter of a couple of weeks or month. In that time, you'll have barely gotten started on your exercise program (which will go much better with good nutrition). If you exercise too hard, you'll just hurt yourself. Work too hard on your nutrition-->so what?! The worst that can happen is that you'll have horrible cravings for bread and sugar and will slip up and binge now and then--again: so what?! Be very easy on yourself. Can't over-emphasize that. Try hard, but realize that everybody thinks this stuff is hard.

Simplefit has the best simple diet instructions I've ever seen. Anyone could follow those for life and would have little, if anthing, to improve upon, IMO. I'd recommend starting with those. If you're eating lots of typical American food (starches, sugar, processed crap), then it might be tough going at first. Make baby steps and don't be down on yourself if you slip up. Try to move toward drastically reducing processed sugar, breads, pasta, etc. It might take a while, but you'll get there. Again, be very easy on yourself, especially because you're tackling the smoking problem at the same time. Your body won't know what the heck is going on and will certainly protest!

As for exercise, I agree with CalJack that you can get started with SimpleFit. Never Gymless is an absolute steal at $24.95, also. NG is a complete strength and conditioning program. Folks get the idea that bodyweight programs = let's see how fast we can do 150 pushups, but that's not hte case at all. NG includes brute strength also. The only exception is that it seems to be impossible to really train to pick heavy things up off the ground without doing just that: picking heavy things up off the ground. Never Gymless + Deadlifts (or squats, cleans, etc.) would be very complete.

ssHova
02-12-2008, 20:05
I am going to start off easy , and work up a little.

you can follow my workout blog if you like @ myspaceDAWTcomSLASHytownhustla

will be taking pics every monday night.

i have had a better day workout wise tonight , but thats all in the blog.

-hov:yawn:

California Jack
02-12-2008, 20:09
Good deal Hov. I'll check your log frequently. Keep going and keep us updated here too.

proactive
02-13-2008, 05:56
You're on your way, Hova. Keep it up!