Are my guns registered? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Are my guns registered?

mudmanfloyd
01-23-2008, 20:56
I have purchased two firearms here in Utah, a Glock 19 from VanWagnen's and a Remington 870 from Cabelas.

When I asked Norm if the firearm would be registered with the government he told me that there was a receipt of sale in my name showing that I purchased "something" from his shop. He said that there was no record accessible to govt. or Law Enforcement of what specifically I purchased. I don't think that he took the serial number of my pistol.

At Cabela's they did take the serial number and told me that they had to keep a record of the purchase on file in case the govt. asked for it.

Please enlighten me on both State and Federal registration policies. I am also curious as to whether Cabelas takes more information from me than is required by law.

Thank you.

Steve Koski
01-23-2008, 21:25
Norm took your serial number too, you just didn't notice. All FFL transfers require thorough records including serial number. Cabellas fills out the same forms that Norm does.

I believe that in a perfect case, the state and federal governments would not retain your information past a certain time period (6 mos? 1 year?). I don't know the particulars. Past that point the only record would be in Norm's log book, which he is required by law to maintain. He could always be forced to cough it up via search warrant, or subpoena. I don't know if this happens much/ever.

mudmanfloyd
01-23-2008, 21:31
Huh. Thanks.

I'm kind of disappointed. I was under the impression that the government had no knowledge of my firearms ownership.

The10mmKid
01-23-2008, 23:54
Mudman,
I purchased my G20 on Saturday; in Ohio.
I stood right next to the forms lady as she called the NICS.

She had to give them some dealer code names to start the whole process.

I recall her answering the following, I can only assume the question:
My full name
My SSN
My Address
City of Birth (no I was not hatched)
Ohio Drivers License (positive I.D.?)
Handgun

A long pause . . . probably 15-30sec. but seemed like a week.:supergrin:

Then she wrote something on the form I filled out, and said Thank You and hung up the phone.

Not once was my guns name, nor serial # mentioned.

Oh yeah, and then she took my $450

Haven't shot it yet, didn't have any $$ left over for ammo.
Reloading within a week with help from my range buddys.

The 10mm Kid

TylerDurden
01-23-2008, 23:57
Look at the classifieds at www.ksl.com and buy from a private party, no records, no paperwork. I've sold/purchased many guns here in Utah with nothing but an exchange of cash/gun and a handshake.

mudmanfloyd
01-24-2008, 11:42
Tyler Durden:

Is that 100% legal?

Thanks for the tip.

TMG
01-24-2008, 15:33
The only people (business) that keep records of you buying a gun is the place where you bought it. They're required to by law. However, those records DO NOT get turned into any state or federal agency.

Steve Koski
01-24-2008, 18:53
http://utahshootingsports.com/usscleg.htm

Pretty good reference page.

MakeMineaP99
01-24-2008, 19:04
However, those records DO NOT get turned into any state or federal agency.

Not completely true. A FFL is required to turn over his records to ATF when he goes out of business, including bound book(s) and 4473s.

An FFL must keep a bound book (A/D) and every purchaser must complete a 4473, which is to be kept on file for at least 20 years. Many dealers keep 4473s forever, even though not required by law.

gsr
01-25-2008, 08:42
It is 100% legal to sell a firearm to a person that may legally posses that type of firearm. Many private sellers will ask to see a driver's licence or carry permit, so that they can have some assurance that the purchaser is eligible to posses the firearm under current law. However, I know of no legal requirement to do this.

Steve Koski
01-25-2008, 17:38
If you sell a gun to someone that can't legally posess it (like that ************ that shot up Trolley Square) and a crime is committed, the feds are gonna come after you like there's no tomorrow.

RemSp10
01-25-2008, 18:27
Mudman,
I stood right next to the forms lady as she called the NICS.
She had to give them some dealer code names to start the whole process.
I recall her answering the following, I can only assume the question:
My full name
My SSN
My Address
City of Birth (no I was not hatched)
Ohio Drivers License (positive I.D.?)
Handgun
A long pause . . . probably 15-30sec. but seemed like a week.:supergrin:
Then she wrote something on the form I filled out, and said Thank You and hung up the phone.
Not once was my guns name, nor serial # mentioned.
The 10mm Kid

Ever time I go thru my FFL he has always given all of the above info to NICS AND serial number and what type ,model of hand gun it is. New or used.
All of the info was taken off of the 4473. And of course he had it logged it to his book. Fingered printed and all. I dont mind this a bit.

Sambolijah
02-05-2008, 17:49
Is that 100% legal?

Perfectly.

TylerDurden
02-06-2008, 20:24
Tyler Durden:

Is that 100% legal?

Thanks for the tip.

Yes it is.

RyDC
02-06-2008, 20:31
I have purchased two firearms here in Utah, a Glock 19 from VanWagnen's and a Remington 870 from Cabelas.

When I asked Norm if the firearm would be registered with the government he told me that there was a receipt of sale in my name showing that I purchased "something" from his shop. He said that there was no record accessible to govt. or Law Enforcement of what specifically I purchased. I don't think that he took the serial number of my pistol.

At Cabela's they did take the serial number and told me that they had to keep a record of the purchase on file in case the govt. asked for it.

Please enlighten me on both State and Federal registration policies. I am also curious as to whether Cabelas takes more information from me than is required by law.

Thank you.

The 4473 stays on file with the FFL. For someone like Norm, this means that they go in a big room in the back with boxes of 4473. They're not cross-indexed-- they're filed chronologically. So unless someone knows the time period and what info he's trying to sift out of the records, then there's no way he's going to find it. There's no database at the federal level where an employee can punch in your name and have it spit out what you bought and when, nor can he punch in a serial number and see who purchased it.

novaDAK
08-29-2008, 20:27
As far as I know, when the cops recover a gun that was used in a crime, they take the serial number on the gun to the Manufacturer, who then tells the cops what distributor it was sent to. The Distributor will then tell the cops what gun dealer it was sent to. Then, the gun dealer will have a record (Form 4473 and their bound book) and then the cops will come to you.