Lost my job today [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Lost my job today

1bamashooter
01-24-2008, 01:14
Well I started a 72 hr shift this morning, everything was going good until the phone rang around 1700 hrs, I was my manager saying that as of midnight tonight we no longer have a job :steamed: I work.. umm worked for a private service called Emergystat Ambulance, we have had some finantial problems but no one saw this coming. I have worked in Perry Co Alabama for 8 years I started with Perry Co EMS then Emergystat came in and took over the county 6 years ago and I've worked for them since. Care Ambulance of Alabama is taking over the county after midnight and they hired us on with them. We do not know what will happen now, the county commission is having a emergency meeting in the morning. I'm hoping Care will keep us on just as we where with E-stat, but I expect changes for the worst. I have my feelers out and I work in a gun shop and gunsmith on the side to keep the cash coming in. Maybe it will work out.

Ron

JimBianchi
01-24-2008, 01:21
Good luck and keep us posted.

Stopdropnroll
01-24-2008, 03:36
Its going to take just as many medics to run the calls as it did before with several companies. I have lived through these. You will be fine, give it a week or two to unfold. Hang in there.

DaleGribble
01-24-2008, 04:36
I hope it works out for you man.

Stonewall621
01-24-2008, 06:33
Sorry about your luck. I worked for E-Stat up here in Virginia for a while and hated it.

fjnardo
01-24-2008, 09:59
Good luck and hope things turn out for you

Sucka
01-24-2008, 11:59
That was pretty sudden. I've seen private companies fold in the past, but you could see it coming for a few months. I'm sorry to hear that.

Medics are hard to come by out here in the West, not sure how it is out where you are. I'm sure you'll land on your feet. When i worked for AMR i saw them lose a few good size medic contracts while i was there, most of the medics either got positions on another medic unit, or were absorbed into the new company. Hope the same happens to you.

1bamashooter
01-24-2008, 13:10
That was pretty sudden. I've seen private companies fold in the past, but you could see it coming for a few months. I'm sorry to hear that.

Medics are hard to come by out here in the West, not sure how it is out where you are. I'm sure you'll land on your feet. When i worked for AMR i saw them lose a few good size medic contracts while i was there, most of the medics either got positions on another medic unit, or were absorbed into the new company. Hope the same happens to you.

We where hired by the new company Care Ambulance but there are already problems. This "take over" happened at midnight and we haven't gotten a strait answer from anybody as of yet. I have heard very bad things about Care from their regional manager of all people so that has me worried also. 2 people have been sent home because there aren't enough trucks for the crews scheduled to work or so they say. I'm scheduled to work a 72 Fri being a extra shift but I told my manager to find somebody else to work it I needed tomorrow to look for a new job. I guess we'll see.

Sucka
01-24-2008, 17:18
Scary situation when that's your livelihood, i really hope that works out for you.

For what it's worth, we had Care Ambulance in San Diego and they were known to be a pretty good company. They didn't have any paramedic contracts, but they did supply adequate training, good equipment and pay among other things. I'm sure that's no consolation for someone in your shoes, but there could be hope.

Keep us updated on how it all goes down, good luck my friend.

MeefZah
01-24-2008, 17:34
For what it's worth, we had Care Ambulance in San Diego and they were known to be a pretty good company...
"Care Ambulance" or similar derivatives with the name Care are really common in private EMS. Doubtful it is the same company from Ca to Al.

Sucka
01-24-2008, 17:39
"Care Ambulance" or similar derivatives with the name Care are really common in private EMS. Doubtful it is the same company from Ca to Al.

Well we had Rural Metro and i worked for AMR, so companies outside of one city is entirely possible. AMR alone is in something like 35+ states. It might be a different one, i don't know that for sure.

1bamashooter
01-24-2008, 20:06
Here is a link to Cares of Alabama website. http://www.accessontime.com/care/locations/alabama.shtml

MissAmericanPie
01-24-2008, 20:46
I'm so sorry for your misfortune. I hope you either like the new company or you are able to get something much better elsewhere.

Best wishes to you.

glock75
01-25-2008, 19:45
Seems like an all too common problem in EMS field. Here locally we have similar occurences every few years. A new company comes in to take the place of the bankrupt company hiring most of their employees, often at a lower pay scale in order to remain competitive.:ambulance::miff:

rk246
01-25-2008, 23:28
Seems like somehow things always seem to work out, obviously you are into helping other people, now its time for some good help for you. There is always out here in the west, I know there is a medic shortage around here. Seems AMR cannot keep enough people around.