Kahr sight replacment using the P500 Unversal Sight Tool [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Kahr sight replacment using the P500 Unversal Sight Tool

hand cannon
01-24-2008, 20:11
I just finished replacing the sights on my P45. I have posted the before and after photos in a seperate thread. I had read that the Kahr sights were notoriously hard to remove and I believed it. So I purchased a P500 universal sight tool from Brownells to assist in the process. The P500 holds the slide of the gun in a fixed delrin-lined jaw while the sight is pushed out using an adjustable screw mechanism. I have attached photos that show the P45 slide chocked up in the tool during removal. The changeout went as planned with no problems. The factory sight did take a little effort and it "jumped" as the screw was tightened rather than walked out. The AO sight pressed in more smoothly. The total time from start to finish was ~20 minutes.

I purchased this tool for ~$110 versus the $60 plus shipping that I was quoted to send the slide to Kahr for sight replacement. Am I upside down on this purchase? Not really, I also used it to replace the sights on my P14-45 Limited and Springfield Loaded Champion, both of which would have taken some effort to do with vise, hammer, and punch. Besides I used to develop a serious pucker factor hammering on my guns.:nailbiting:

The P500 Universal Sight Tool is a winner in my book.:perfect10:

HC

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii63/bradysrangers/P500press1.jpg

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii63/bradysrangers/P500press3.jpg

Officer's Match
01-25-2008, 07:13
That P500 looks like a pretty sweet tool to have.

Lazarus63
01-25-2008, 07:21
I previously purchased the same sight tool, it didn't have much problem with removal of sights until it ran into a Kimber dovetail... it flat wouldn't budge without "torquing" in the jig.

You might find that for the harder sights, if you take a C-clamp and use it to lock the slide in the jig top to bottom (use a leather pad to protect the slide), it will lock the slide in position much firmer to avoid the "jumping" effect of the movement as you adjust the sights.

hand cannon
01-25-2008, 18:42
Lazarus63:

The instructions specifically mention Kimber sights. They must be some pretty tough critters! The manufacturer (B&J Machine) provides inserts to chuck the whole assembly in a vise, preventing distortion (left to right) of the tool as the sight is pushed out. Your suggestion to use a C-clamp to keep it snug from top and bottom is well taken! Thanks,

HC

sfp
01-25-2008, 19:52
I also have a P500 Universal Sight Tool and agree that it is great. It works fine on my Kahrs and Walther, but it would not work on my friends XD.

cybertek
01-26-2008, 07:58
Looks like great tool. My PM9 is going to for some work on Monday and I am sending along the XS big dots for them to install. I have installedthem on my Glocks with just a vice but I heard the Karhs were tough, so I figured since it had to go back to them anyway I would just let them do it.

How do you like the big dots on the Kahr?

hand cannon
01-27-2008, 18:43
Cybertek:

I tried the sights out briefly today. I was interested in seeing how accurate I could shoot with the big dot sights compared to the factory ones. I bought these sights for fast sight acquisition but I just had to know if my Kahr could still shoot accurately with them. I had a little more vertical stringing than before, but I expected this given the dot size and my lack of experience with it. By the end of my short session I was able to keep my shots in a 3 inch group centered on the bullseye at 15 yards. Not bad considering the fact that the dot completely covers the bullseye at this range! Of course these sights are designed to shoot where the center of the big dot points at short distances. I am happy with the big dot sights so far. I will have to wait until I get some "real" range time to really know how well they work for the intended purpose.

HC

boxingref_rick
02-08-2009, 19:56
Hey hand cannon.

any updates on the accurracy etc. for the Big Dot. I've got the same model kahr and I'm considering chaning also!

TMann
02-09-2009, 22:07
I'm a bit unfamiliar with the whole business of gun sight installation. Will this tool work on any handgun that has dove-tailed sights? I have two Kahrs, a Sig, and a CZ. It would sure be nice not to have to send each of them in whenever I wanted to upgrade the sights.

TMann

dstewart73
02-10-2009, 07:29
I have had the big dot on my PM40 for about 3 years. I find them accurate and make acquiring a target much easier.
My only very small complaint. The dot on my weapon has to be on the target, not at the 6 o'clock. It shoots exactly where the dot is placed. At distances greater than 15 yards it tends to block the target out.
You get used to it and I have had no problem qualifying with it as a back up. We shoot out to 38 yards. I am sure this will be gun specific.

hand cannon
02-10-2009, 19:34
boxingref_rick:

Dstewart's experiences mirror my own. The big dots are excellent for quick sight acquisition and follow up. On my pistol the point of impact is the center of the dot so it does cover the target, especially at longer distances. This is great for CCW but it makes it a little more difficult to blast tin cans!

HC

Nuclear
02-10-2009, 22:22
The tool works on any dovetailed sight. I got one to drift (and later replace) the sights on a Sig (they must use hydraulic presses to put those in - I peened a brass punch trying to drift those sights). It works equally well on the Kahr sights. It just takes a bit of time to properly set up. After that, no problems.

coverdog
02-11-2009, 16:56
I have been told the later Kahr's sights are not pressed in as tight as previous guns were. I had one that was impossible to move. I sent it to Kahr.

chrisct
02-23-2009, 14:31
I just finished replacing the sights on my P45. I have posted the before and after photos in a seperate thread. I had read that the Kahr sights were notoriously hard to remove and I believed it. So I purchased a P500 universal sight tool from Brownells to assist in the process. The P500 holds the slide of the gun in a fixed delrin-lined jaw while the sight is pushed out using an adjustable screw mechanism. I have attached photos that show the P45 slide chocked up in the tool during removal. The changeout went as planned with no problems. The factory sight did take a little effort and it "jumped" as the screw was tightened rather than walked out. The AO sight pressed in more smoothly. The total time from start to finish was ~20 minutes.

I purchased this tool for ~$110 versus the $60 plus shipping that I was quoted to send the slide to Kahr for sight replacement. Am I upside down on this purchase? Not really, I also used it to replace the sights on my P14-45 Limited and Springfield Loaded Champion, both of which would have taken some effort to do with vise, hammer, and punch. Besides I used to develop a serious pucker factor hammering on my guns.:nailbiting:

The P500 Universal Sight Tool is a winner in my book.:perfect10:

HC

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii63/bradysrangers/P500press1.jpg

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii63/bradysrangers/P500press3.jpg

What are the pushers made of? If metal, how do you avoid marring the new sights during installation?

Nuclear
02-24-2009, 11:25
What are the pushers made of? If metal, how do you avoid marring the new sights during installation?

The pushers are made of coated steel. I avoided marring the sights by being careful during setup and operation. I suppose you could put something in between the sight and the pusher made of brass or delrin, but its not really necessary.

alnitak
02-24-2009, 13:49
I've considered getting one of these tools, but just can't justify the cost. I don't change the sights that much, nor do I have that many guns to fool with. However, my PM9 has shot 2-3 inches to the left at 10 yards since I got it new. Looking at the front sight, it is not centered. I really don't want to send the gun back to Kahr (after all, they misaligned the sights at the factory), but my search for a local gunsmith who has the tool has turned up empty.

By any chance, I don't suppose Nuclear or Hand Cannon live in NoVA and would let me stop by for a quick adjustment?? Anyone else out there with one of these locally?

hand cannon
02-24-2009, 20:43
Alnitak:

Sorry I am west of you quite a piece or I would be happy to help.

HC

ddc
02-24-2009, 22:07
I'm a bit unfamiliar with the whole business of gun sight installation.

As am I.

Question: Are all sites typically drifted in from right to left? Or are some right to left, others left to right, etc.

Thanks.

alnitak
02-25-2009, 06:21
Sorry I am west of you quite a piece or I would be happy to help.

Thanks HC, I figured it was a longshot, but what the heck...stranger things have happened.

DrMark
02-25-2009, 17:18
I also have a P500 Universal Sight Tool and agree that it is great. It works fine on my Kahrs and Walther, but it would not work on my friends XD.

Why would it not work on the XD?

ltxi
07-31-2009, 15:21
Bump...since it seems to be of current interest.

Buckaroo
07-31-2009, 20:09
P500 Universal Sight Tool is on sale at Midway through August 31st.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=163458

Buckaroo (who will buy one if he cannot borrow one locally)

paulgl26
07-31-2009, 20:17
buckaroo did you ever got one or found a place to change your sights
i got some NS in the mail today and i can't install them without the tool
(i change them all the time on all my glocks in 10 min with a hammer)

ltxi
07-31-2009, 20:18
P500 Universal Sight Tool is on sale at Midway through August 31st.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=163458

Buckaroo (who will buy one if he cannot borrow one locally)

Yeah, I was just looking through the Midway flyer for August. $105 plus shipping...can't beat that with a stick.

nofear
08-01-2009, 06:08
Yeah I actually seen that the other day, and put my order in for 1. Should be here Monday.

nraman
02-27-2010, 21:01
I have two PM9 Kahrs and a uni-200L tool. The tool works great on Glocks, changing the Kahr front sight is another story. I replaced the sights on one of them, the original sight is practically impossible to remove using standard procedures.
The thickness of the flat portion is only about .050" thick and the upper edge is rounded. There is nothing for the tool to push on. I managed to replace it but, I had to do it the wrong way. I put the tool against the vertical part of the sight, all the way down and pushed it. It worked this time. Now I need to do my second Kahr and I don't feel comfortable repeating the operation. These sights are tight, I need a new idea.
Anybody?

Lazarus63
03-01-2010, 11:26
I have in the past attempted to install a front sight into the tight dovetail pushing against the flat of the vertical sight post… one time it worked, the other time it snapped right off.

On the most recent Kahr front sight in installed, I used a sheet of fine emery cloth back by a flat piece of barstock and thinned down the sight base just a hair, enough where I could get it to start into the dovetail and then lightly tapped it about half way into the dovetail, then I was able to use my sight pusher to get enough “bite” to push it all the way into position. Even then, it flattened the rounded edge of the sight just a bit where after it was in position, I took a tiny jewelers file to clean up the sight edges on both sides (so that they would match) and then touched up the blue on the edges of the sight. I remember the old sage advice about only modifying the cheapest part, so I have always tried to avoid doing anything to the slide dovetail itself unless it just needs minor cleaning up.

nraman
05-13-2010, 18:23
I sold the Uni-200L and bought a P500.
I replaced the sights on a Kahr very easily, including the front that I found impossible to do with the Uni-200L.
The P500 is well designed to push a sight with a vertical side. I don't see how it can handle sloped sights like a Glock sight. You would be pushing the 90degree steel tip of the P500, against the the sloping sight. How can it possibly work without denting the sight?
I should have kept the Uni-200L, it worked great on Glock sights. So much for universal tools.

sambeaux2249
05-14-2010, 01:12
I tried to use my P500 site press to remove the front sight on my PM45.... The lower part of the sight was beveled, and I couldn't push against it with the pusher, it just rode over it and pushed against the front sight. So I tried pushing on the front sight. It stressed the tool, but never budged. I ended up breaking off the front site, then dremelling a relief channel so I could knock out the base with a cold chisel. Not pretty, but I didn't damage the slide. I'm amazed how tight the front sight was.

Sam

lcjones
02-15-2011, 15:20
I am a smith and have changed lots of sights out. Yesterday, I literally broke the small pusher on the p500. I was using the small pusher (I don't know the material but it looked like pot metal) because the dovetail in the Kimber is so small. These were the hardest sights I have ever tried to replace. Metrolight must know that also because they make a tool for about 500 bucks that is supposed to be the all in all. However, with the p500, I pushed so hard on the front sight that the pushing plug shattered. I hope I can get it replaced. When it shattered, the metal inside looked like pot metal or some type of cast or molded metal. It definitely was not machined metal.
Be wary of the Kimber. As stated before, they do not slide out, they jump a distance, then jump a bit more until they finally jump out. Sure makes a pain for sight alignment to be nudged.
lcjones

nraman
02-15-2011, 18:53
I plan to start using kroil or any other penetrating oil for the next tight installation.
If you have the phone# for the company that makes this tool, please pm me.
Thanks.

Cowart
02-16-2011, 11:09
Kahr charges $40 to install sights, plus shipping. It seems to me that it would be better to have them take care of this task, since it can be problematic. This is about the same as the minimum labor charge a local smith would probably want. See

http://www.kahr.com/custom-shop.asp

DrMark
02-16-2011, 18:25
I plan to start using kroil or any other penetrating oil for the next tight installation.
If you have the phone# for the company that makes this tool, please pm me.
Thanks.
I don't think it's necessary to restrict the info to PM. The instructions provide contact info for any questions:

P I Inc
8800 Verree Rd
Philadelphia, PA 19115
215-969-8886
pii8800@aol.com

alank2
02-16-2011, 18:45
Hi,

I used the P500 to change sights on a PM9, in the end it got the job done, but the sides of the sights were more marred than I like. The main problem with it is that the pusher component wants to ROLL when being tightened. If they could come up with a method of pushing it without it spinning, that would be much better. I was hoping it would be a tool to replace my Glock pusher, but it didn't even come close to the ease of use of the Glock only tool, so the P500 was returned.

Good luck,

Alan

ALL GLOCK
03-16-2011, 21:44
tag.............................