Brand New Hoosier Glock Owner [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Brand New Hoosier Glock Owner

Substance-P
01-26-2008, 20:58
Hello everyone. I just wanted to drop a line to introduce myself to fellow Hoosier Glock owners. I just bought my first Glock (and gun for that matter) a couple of weeks ago.

It was a really hard decision for me to figure out which gun to buy for my first one (almost bought the new Ruger SR9) but ultimately, went with the Glock and couldn't be happier. Everyone's posts on Glocktalk helped make the decision easier.

Anyway, just been trolling around for a couple of weeks and thought I would say hello.

MakeMineaP99
01-26-2008, 21:51
:welcome: :wavey:

What Glock did you get?

Substance-P
01-27-2008, 06:19
I went with the G19 Homeland Defender package (extra magazines, Glock light, night sites, extended magazine and slide release...and a little badging).

I had been looking at the G17 but am really glad I got the G19 b/c it seems to fit me really well. Unfortunately, I had the hardest time find a place to rent different caliber of Glocks to shoot...so I did not get a chance to try out any of the other ones besides the 9mm. Hopefully, I'll be able to put a couple of rounds through a .45(GAP/ACP)/.40/.357sig etc. to find out which one should be the next purchase...

The hardest thing to do now is to wait for my CCW and to find places close to me to practice with the G19.

AFA1CY
01-27-2008, 06:42
Welcome to GlockTalk! I think you will find many good people here and probabaly a few crusty one :rofl:

Just remmber to treat sjstill with respect (chief range officer ECPR) :bowdown: and if you have dinner with rhino465 the secret word is "gravy".:cool:

Hopefully your LTCH won't take too long. Where at in Indiana are you located?

Rich

Substance-P
01-27-2008, 07:23
Sounds like some interesting advice to keep in mind about fellow Hoosier Glock owners...it seems like Indiana has one of the most active State boards on Glocktalk.

I am located in Greenwood. Work in Bloomington. Drive around North/Central Indiana a lot! I even braved the cold weather at Atterbury last week just so that I could start to break this G19 in.

On a related note. I was really impressed with the two gun shops in Greenwood: Elmore's and the Outdoorsman Shop. Both had great people and good selections (different selections). I didn't release they were as good of stores as they are until I started actively looking for a new gun.

sjstill
01-27-2008, 08:52
Welcome aboard!!

IIRC, Outdoorsman charges close to full retail on firearms. Try AAC Guns in Mooresville or Plainfield Shooting Supplies, located oddly enough in Plainfiled, just east of the old Galyan's building.

Both are 10% over dealer cost on new guns. I've worked at both shops, and you'll get good trade-in value and (usually) good advise :supergrin:

Eagle Creek range opens March 1st. I hope I'm still able to be involved with it.

TLHelmer
01-27-2008, 14:36
Welcome fellow hoosier glock fan!

Dyerbill
01-27-2008, 19:43
Welcome

I love the world of Glock.
Indiana is a Great Gun State to live in.:wavey:

Scutter01
01-27-2008, 20:27
Welcome!

I say that as I sit here with my Springfield XD at my side. I'm not embarrassed. :whistling:

MakeMineaP99
01-27-2008, 20:33
Welcome!

I say that as I sit here with my Springfield XD at my side. I'm not embarrassed. :whistling:

I have a G17 on me, to make up for you heathens.

Scutter01
01-27-2008, 20:36
I have a G17 on me, to make up for you heathens.

In my defense, I do have two Glocks in the safe, but my wife carries them. I like them, it's just that the Springfield is more comfortable in my hand.

MakeMineaP99
01-27-2008, 21:46
In my defense, I do have two Glocks in the safe, but my wife carries them. I like them, it's just that the Springfield is more comfortable in my hand.

I don't descriminate, Glocks, SIGs, Walthers it's all good. I grab whatever is at arms reach.

Rikki
01-28-2008, 06:12
You might check out Marion County Fish and Games' website...
They have some kind of bowling pin or steel shoot every Sat morning-
I don't think it's much $(like maybe 5 bucks)..it'll give you some cheap trigger time...
FWIW I think the G-19 is just a GREAT midsized pistol-(my favorite)

Substance-P
01-28-2008, 12:14
I am really glad I went with the G19. It seems like a great first gun to build a collection around.

Scutter01
01-28-2008, 13:01
I am really glad I went with the G19. It seems like a great first gun to build a collection around.

My wife carries a G26, which is the subcompact version of the G19. She loves hers.

biggl35
01-28-2008, 18:32
Welcome to the Indy HTF.

I am biggl35, aka bigcraig, I don't own any guns, their icky, I am just here to stalk rhino and sjstill. I use to stalk KSFreeman, but being the lawyer that he is, he filed a restraining order against me. Also, KSFreeman really likes to be called "That wacky Brit", really! :whistling:

grislyAdam
01-28-2008, 18:34

That was my first, too. I built a collection around it and about 6 years later, it's one of the only few I have left. Good, all around pistol. Welcome to the forum!!

Indy_Guy_77
01-28-2008, 19:35
Welcome aboard!

Always glad to have another south-sider 'round these parts.

-J-

sjstill
01-28-2008, 19:48
Welcome to the Indy HTF.

I am biggl35, aka bigcraig, I don't own any guns, their icky, I am just here to stalk rhino and sjstill. I use to stalk KSFreeman, but being the lawyer that he is, he filed a restraining order against me. Also, KSFreeman really likes to be called "That wacky Brit", really!

:rofl::rofl::wavey::tongueout::tongueout:

AFA1CY
01-29-2008, 05:08
Welcome to the Indy HTF.

--snip--- Also, KSFreeman really likes to be called "That wacky Brit", really! :whistling:
And if you ever meet him, ask him how to spell "color" and "labor" :animlol:

INJoker
01-29-2008, 19:43
Welcome aboard!

MakeMineaP99
01-29-2008, 21:29
And if you ever meet him, ask him how to spell "color" and "labor" :animlol:

Labor=Labour

Color=Colour

Center=Centre

shop=shoppe

Y'all need to learn to spel rite.

Substance-P
01-30-2008, 05:02
Labor=Labour

Color=Colour

Center=Centre

shop=shoppe

Y'all need to learn to spel rite.

That's right, get with the programme :supergrin:

right winger01
09-02-2008, 12:37
Welcome aboard!!

IIRC, Outdoorsman charges close to full retail on firearms. Try AAC Guns in Mooresville or Plainfield Shooting Supplies, located oddly enough in Plainfiled, just east of the old Galyan's building.

Both are 10% over dealer cost on new guns. I've worked at both shops, and you'll get good trade-in value and (usually) good advise :supergrin:

Eagle Creek range opens March 1st. I hope I'm still able to be involved with it.
I agree 100% Great People.

Substance-P
09-02-2008, 18:27
I agree 100% Great People.

It is so funny. I saw this thread title and jumped over to welcome the new Glock owner....and saw that this the was thread I started 7 months ago :embarassed:

By the way, in the time that has passed, I have learned which gun stores I like and which I don't. Plainfield has definitely moved to the top of the list. I have bought four guns from Bob in the last three weeks.

I still frequent Elmore's because they are very close to me and they do all the work I need done of my guns. I bought 6-8 guns from them this year and still buy accessories from them as well but have not bought a gun from them in a little while (since I started buying from Plainfield). However, they are still the best place for black rifle and 1911 selections.

I picked up a great deal on a used sig at the Outdoorsman but haven't, and likely won't, buy another gun from them. They are too pricey and don't have anything that can't be found elsewhere.

I have picked up some AKs from Bradis but haven't found much else there that was a fit for what I was looking for.

So 7 months later, I have found that I go to Plainfield to trade guns (Bob gives GREAT trade in values) and to get most guns, I go to Elmore's for parts, accessories, and gunsmithing (and to drool over high end 1911s, black rifles, and for the conversation and occasional gun), and I go to Bradis if I am looking for a big selection of AKs. I have also found that Whittaker Guns just across the river in Owensboro is fantastic (6,000+ guns in stock at very low prices) and get a lot of my stuff from there as well.

I am glad this thread popped back. It reminds me of how great of a resource this forum has been to me this year. Thanks everyone