AZ CCers, please help! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : AZ CCers, please help!

Gothmog
01-27-2008, 19:27
I'm bringing my family out to visit the Grand Canyon, Sedona, and lots of other attractions out there for a few weeks in March. Question is, we're gonna be spending a lot of time on Hopi and Navajo land. Is there any special requirements or restrictions on CC on their land? I know they have their own laws and enforcements, and I can't find anything on it. Also, I hold an Ohio CCW and we have reciprocity with you. Since packing.org went down I can't find any info. Any help? Thanks!

OXCOPS
01-27-2008, 20:27
http://www.azdps.gov/ccw/

AZ honors Ohio permits, but you must follow AZ laws. One of the big ones is that ANY place that has a permit to serve alcohol is off limits, even if you steer clear of the bar, or any drinks yourself.

As for going onto the rez, your permit will allow it, but there are other regulations. I would suggest calling the Navajo Nation Division of Public Safety at the numbers found at this link... http://www.navajo.org/NNDir.htm#DPS

You also mentioned the Grand Canyon. Be advised that carrying any weapons into a National Park is prohibited. However, UNOFFICIALLY I have had Rangers tell me that as long as the weapon stays locked in the truck BEFORE you enter the park, and does NOT come out, you should be OK. Kinda like "don't ask, don't tell".

method
01-27-2008, 20:41
Seems it's dependent on the tribe, take a look here... http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum10/2282.html

I'd call the reservations and make sure.

blueiron
01-29-2008, 12:50
Write the reservation authorities and ask for written confirmation. A telephone call is pointless.

OXCOPS
01-30-2008, 09:34
Write the reservation authorities and ask for written confirmation. A telephone call is pointless.

A phone call is far from pointless. Calling them will allow you to figure out WHO you need to talk to. Some places say DPS, while some say the Tribal Attorney. They might also have the info online and can provide those links. You might still want something in writing, but the phone call can give you a place, and person, to start with.

ChukGlk19
01-31-2008, 23:36
I just took the CCW a week ago here in Arizona. I was told never to carry on a reservation. You don't carry in another country and reservations are essentially federal lands that were given to the native americans. Thus they are a different country. I think the other guys are correct in calling the various tribes. You certainly could ask but I would advise against it (calling or carrying). Carry it with you where you know you can. Grand Canyon is federal lands so I would again say that is a big no no. Some National parks will allow you to carry Yellowstone for example but there are restrictions. I think you will find Arizona is a very nice place to visit and honestly you probably would never need it. If you are coming to Phoenix I would say definitely carry it. Watch the news here one evening and you'll know why. Good luck and have a safe trip!