UFC 81: Breaking Point [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : UFC 81: Breaking Point

gr81disp
01-27-2008, 20:27
Ok, I got a few minutes so a quick break down. UFC 81 is this Saturday Feb. 3rd.

Dark matches:

Rob Emerson v. Keita Nakamura.
Nakamura by experience

David Heath v. Tim Boetsch.
Who?

Marvin "The Beastman" Eastman v. Terry Martin.
Eastman is a good striker but has HORRIBLE performances in the octagon. He has a glass chin and Martin hits hard. Martin by KO.

Chris "Lights Out" Lytle v. Kyle Bradley
Lytle isn't elite, but he is more than good enough to take out Bradley.

Gleison Tibau v. Tyson Griffin.
FOTN possibilities here. Griffin is a new up and comer but Tibau has the major experience edge. I go Griffin in an upset.

Televised fights:

Ricard "Big Dog" Almeida v. Alan "The Talent" Belcher
YES!! Almeida is BACK! I have to go with my boy the Big Dog by submission.

Jeremy "Gumby" Horn v. Nate "The Great" Marquardt
Horn is always up for a fight while Marquardt has been lackluster since coming to the big show. Horn by Sub or decision.

Co-Main Event:

Frank Mir v. Brock Lesnar
Lesnar has the size strength and wrestling advantage while Mir has the submission and probably the striking advantage. Don't count Lesnar out, he is a very well decorated wrestler and has been training with Sean Sherk for a year and a half now. I still say Mir by Submission.

Main Event:

Tim "The Maine-iac" Sylvia v. Antonio Rodrigo 'Minotauro" Nogiuera
I take Tim in the upset. Nog did well in his fight with Heath Herring but Sylvia is an elite and his good takedown defense will be more than a match or Nog's Subpar takedowns. Sylvia by KO or decision.

ArodJohns
01-27-2008, 21:03
Ok, I got a few minutes so a quick break down. UFC 81 is this Saturday Feb. 3rd.

Dark matches:

Rob Emerson v. Keita Nakamura.
Nakamura by experience

David Heath v. Tim Boetsch.
Who?

Marvin "The Beastman" Eastman v. Terry Martin.
Eastman is a good striker but has HORRIBLE performances in the octagon. He has a glass chin and Martin hits hard. Martin by KO.

Chris "Lights Out" Lytle v. Kyle Bradley
Lytle isn't elite, but he is more than good enough to take out Bradley.

Gleison Tibau v. Tyson Griffin.
FOTN possibilities here. Griffin is a new up and comer but Tibau has the major experience edge. I go Griffin in an upset.

Televised fights:

Ricard "Big Dog" Almeida v. Alan "The Talent" Belcher
YES!! Almeida is BACK! I have to go with my boy the Big Dog by submission.

Jeremy "Gumby" Horn v. Nate "The Great" Marquardt
Horn is always up for a fight while Marquardt has been lackluster since coming to the big show. Horn by Sub or decision.

Co-Main Event:

Frank Mir v. Brock Lesnar
Lesnar has the size strength and wrestling advantage while Mir has the submission and probably the striking advantage. Don't count Lesnar out, he is a very well decorated wrestler and has been training with Sean Sherk for a year and a half now. I still say Mir by Submission.

Main Event:

Tim "The Maine-iac" Sylvia v. Antonio Rodrigo 'Minotauro" Nogiuera
I take Tim in the upset. Nog did well in his fight with Heath Herring but Sylvia is an elite and his good takedown defense will be more than a match or Nog's Subpar takedowns. Sylvia by KO or decision.

My picks:
Almeida
Jeremy Horn
Mir
Nogiuera

I think Mir/Lesnar will turn out a whole lot like Mir/Tank. Big, strong dude but not very well versed in the various nuances of fighting. While Lesnar may have been an NCAA (IIRC) champ, I don't think he'll have the experience or the knowledge to pull this one out. If Mir comes in in shape, I say Mir by Sub in the first.

Big Nog got railed by Fedor for several minutes, got more or less KO'ed by Heath Herring and he still stood up and fought. I don't see Big Tim really doing anything to him. I say probably Sylvia by Rock 'Em Sock 'Em Robot.

don51181
01-28-2008, 18:02
I was thinking of getting this one but I am not sure. Do they show these at sports bars?

ArodJohns
01-28-2008, 18:19
I was thinking of getting this one but I am not sure. Do they show these at sports bars?

Sometimes.

The most recent UFC's haven't been worth the asking price for PPV. I generally get up a little early the next morning and try various video sites until I find the fights I want to see.

K-DOG
01-28-2008, 23:09
Keita Nakamura Vs. Rob Emerson : Nakamura since Emerson just got out of jail

David Heath Vs. Tim Boetsch: Heath

Marvin Eastman Vs. Terry Martin : Eastman

Chris Lytle Vs. Kyle Bradley : Lytle

Gleison Tibau Vs. Tyson Griffin : Griffin

Ricardo Almeida Vs. Alan Belcher :Almedia

Jeremy Horn Vs. Nate Marquardt : Horn, Haven't been too impressed with Nate lately.

Frank Mir Vs. Brock Lesnar : I'm going with Lesner, Mir has not been the same since he busted his leg.

Tim Sylvia Vs. Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira: Nogueira, Tim squeaked pasted Vera, I don't think he can deal with Minotauro

gr81disp
01-29-2008, 00:15
Squeaked past Vera? Is that what you call dominating an entire fight? Admittedly, Vera had some nice kick flurries in the second round, but obviously was afraid to stand and bang as evidenced by his continual clinching of Sylvia.

I got Mir because his last performance he finally looked like his old self.

DaleGribble
01-31-2008, 09:46
I won't be buying this one.

With that said, their are only three fights on this card that interest me...

Horn vs. Marquardt: Gumby is back in the UFC where he belongs!

Mir vs. Lesnar: Mir by whatever he wants. He looked a lot better in his last fight even though it was against a lesser opponent. Mir also looks like he's finally back in good shape. Lesnar just doesn't have the MMA experience to win at this level yet. With a few more years of training under his belt he'll be a monster.

Sylvia vs Nog: Sylvia via another boring decision. Sylvia will use his long reach and superior striking to keep the majority of this fight standing where he'll slowly paw away at Nog. Fans will boo, big Timmah will say something stupid and piss every fan off, again, and he'll still be the dumb ass that got tooled by Couture!

I really hope Nog puts his ass to sleep but I don't see it happening!

gr81disp
02-05-2008, 03:46
Well, I will be doing the honors I guess.

RESULTS: UFC 81: Breaking Point AKA Night of the Guillotine

Format
Fighter 1 v. Fighter 2: Winner, Method, Round, Round Time expired
Commentary

UD=Unanimous Decision
SD=Split Decision
MD= Majority Decision
DOC = Doctor Stoppage
KO, TKO, SUB and DRAW are all self explanatory.

Rob Emerson v. Keita "K-Taro" Nakamura: Emerson SD
Emerson and Nakamura battled back and forth in a relatively exciting match that Emerson squeaked by.

David Heath v Tim Boetsch: Boetsch TKO RD1 4:52
Sleeper fight of the night. Boetsch took the fight on ten days notice, but you wouldn't know it by his performance. Using a vicious teep front kick and excellent knees from the clinch, Boetsch punished Heath from the start. The end of the fight looked like a mugging, with Boetsch throwing Heath down and pounding him like he owed him money. Great fight.
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a330/gr81disp/heathbomy5.gif

Marvin "The Beastman" Eastman v. Terry Martin: Eastman UD
Didn't see but apparently Eastman won every round, but not decisively.

Chris "Lights Out" Lytle v. Kyle Bradley: Lytle KO RD1 0:33
That's right, Lytle lived up to his name in only 33 seconds. Lytle dropped Bradley with a pair of right hands before obliterating him with two more rights from inside Bradley's guard. Bradley then tried to pull guard on referee Yves Levigne.

Gleison Tibau v. Tyson Griffin: Griffin UD
Good action here but although not dominating, Griffin had definite control of the action throughout.

Rob Yundt v. Ricardo "Big Dog" Almeida: Almeida SUB RD1 1:08
It took just over a minute for the Big Dog to choke Alan Belcher's late replacement. Almeida returned from four years of retirement to slip a guillotine choke onto Yundt who tried to slam his way out of it, but Almeida rolled through and kept the choke on.
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a330/gr81disp/2s19o3d.gif

Jeremy "Gumby" Horn v. Nate "The Great" Marquardt: Marquardt SUB RD2 1:34
Marquardt was dominant in the first round, even dropping Horn at one point and maintaing the top throughout. Horn finally swept Marquardt shortly before the end of RD 1. RD 2 started off better for Horn, who capitalized on a slipped high kick from Marquardt. Marquardt scrambled to his feet where Horn botched a takedown attempt and enabled Marquardt to slip on the fight ending guillotine choke.

Frank Mir v. Brock Lesnar: Mir SUB RD1 1:30
WOW!!! Short but GREAT fight. If you didn't see it, understand something, Lesnar is going to be a MONSTER. Lesnar practically speared Mir to take him down and proceeded to beat on Mir's head like it was a bongo. Unfortunately for Lesnar, he is still pretty green and struck the back of Mir's head several times leading to Steve Mazzagatti standing him and Mir up. (It was unclear at first, but a review shows Lesnar hitting Mir at least five times in the back of the head.) Lesnar proceed to floor Mir with a right hand and resume beating on him, changing positions and showing AMAZING agility, positional awareness and speed for a man that massive. Mir went for an armbar Lesnar easily powered out of and Lesnar stood up. Mir hooked a leg with his foot, tried for a heel hook, Lesnar rolled and Mir transitioned to a kneebar forcing Lesnar to tap out.
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a330/gr81disp/mirxlesnaebawzz1abw8.gif
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a330/gr81disp/mirxlesnaebawzz2bxo3.gif

MAIN EVENT

Interim UFC HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP (205 lbs.-265 lbs.)

Former 2x UFC Heavyweight Champion
Tim "The Maine-iac" Sylvia
6'8" 260 lbs.
24W-3L-0D

VS.

Former PRIDEFC Heavyweight Champion
Antonio Rodrigo "Minotauro" Nogueira
6'3" 231 lbs.
30W-4L-1D

The fight starts and it looks like it will be a standup affair. Sylvia begins dominating looking better than he has in a LONG time. Soon a massive left hook is followed by a CRUSHING right cross and he drops Nog. Minotauro is hurt bad but manages to hang on and regain his composure. The rest of the round is the same, Sylvia dominating the standup with Nog flopping to guard occasionally but Sylvia scrambling to safety. Nogueira FINALLY manages a takedown but it is at the buzzer.

Round two starts and more of the same. Sylvia controls the standup and Nogueira simply cannot take him down. Sylvia shows off some impressive takedown defense and Nog shows off his legendary chin as Sylvia crushes him with a right hook that wobbles him but Nog stays standing this time. Minotauro flops to guard a couple of times, but Tim is having none of the BJJ blackbelt's legendary ground game. Nog begins to find a rhythm, towards the end of the round landing some punches and finding some success with leg kicks.

Round three starts and Nog tries a leg kick only to eat a massive straight right that makes his head snap back like a pez dispenser. Nog flops to guard again. Sylvia scrambles to get out but Nog has one hand trapped and collapses his leg behind the knee sweeping Sylvia onto his back and taking sidemount. Sylvia pushes on Nog's hips and tries to scramble but Nog shows why he is considered the greatest HW submission fighter in the history of the sport, capturing Sylvia's far arm as he attempts to escape and IMMEDIATELY locks up the guillotine and falls into guard. Sylvia is left with no choice but to tap out. Nog again with his trademark come from behind miracle submission win.

WINNER

NEW INTERIM UFC HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPION
Antonio Rodrigo "Minotauro" Nogueira
(31W-4L-1D)

Submission Round 3 1:28 (Guillotine choke)
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a330/gr81disp/23su3wj.gif

gr81disp
02-05-2008, 03:53
BTW, Sylvia has nothing to be ashamed of. He was exciting, showed excellent skills, and proved that he belongs near the top of the HW rankings.

epsylum
02-06-2008, 19:06
With Lesnar tapping, Sylvia getting choked, and the Pats loosing the SB, it was a nice weekend in sports for me. :thumbsup: