American LaFrance files for bankruptcy [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : American LaFrance files for bankruptcy

The Pontificator
01-28-2008, 16:32
The end of an era... :shocked:

http://wistv.com/Global/story.asp?S=7783737

CHARLESTON, SC (AP) - American LaFrance - a South Carolina-based company that makes fire engines and other safety equipment - has filed for bankruptcy.

The company operates in six states and has about 1,000 employees. It filed for bankruptcy protection Monday to reorganize its finances.

The company has more than 1,000 creditors and more than $100 million in liabilities.

Court documents say the company had problems transitioning from its previous owner Freightliner. In addition, the market for emergency vehicles is not as good and new emission standards require changes in vehicle designs.

4095fanatic
01-28-2008, 17:43
WooHoo! I'm so glad we got a 2003 ALF Quint... now we won't have to send it back to the shop every 6 months when something breaks (again) cause there won't be one lol.

shibby575
02-02-2008, 07:23
We actually just got 2 trucks, and like 8 engines. we've had troubles with them from the get go. and to think we switched from Pierce to ALF through some shady dealings in the administration. Oh well i guess if it gets there and we can get water out of it who really cares. I get paid the same.

oldstyle
02-02-2008, 17:02
We actually just got 2 trucks, and like 8 engines. we've had troubles with them from the get go. and to think we switched from Pierce to ALF through some shady dealings in the administration. Oh well i guess if it gets there and we can get water out of it who really cares. I get paid the same.

We just switched from ALF to Pierce and let me tell you, they have plenty of problems too!

Short Bus
02-02-2008, 17:32
They used to be some of the best trucks out there. I guess that shows what a tougher market and tougher legislation does for ya. We have an 86 open cab that will still out pump all of the new trucks. Great running and working truck for sure.

nsb22
02-03-2008, 13:59
All manufactures have their problems. I do find it odd that our 2003 pierce has more problems than our 1987 pierce does. :animlol:

jtull7
02-03-2008, 16:58
I used to own a 1948 AL pumper truck. It was so cool. It was a straight 12 engine, and, after you had driven for 30 minutes or so, you knew that you had been driving a beast.

rk246
02-03-2008, 17:56
We have a ton of ALF engines and trucks, We are now giving peirce a try, we have one squad so far that is pierce, it sure drives nice. It has some electrical gremlins in it though that they can't seem to resolve. I am curious how Pierce's trucks are?

_The_Shadow
02-03-2008, 21:45
My first drive as profesional service was a 1952 American LaFrance open top 750GPM pumper, 4 speed, V-12 with dual ignitions, 24 spark plugs, 4 coils. I loved that truck!

American LaFrance was like the Cadillac of Fire Apparatus.

It is sad to see a great company go south! The local company down here in LoUiSiAna is Ferra Fire Apparatus;http://www.ferrarafire.com/ is making some nice trucks.