Fish Fry [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Fish Fry

Sixgun357
05-26-2002, 11:51
well its the Memorial Day weekend and that means summer time fun is just around the cornor, Sitting here thinking about my 2 two week fishing trip up north in Canada schedualed for August. I wondering if anyone had any good recipes fish fry batter or breading. Please pass em on.

switch625
05-26-2002, 12:37
if you have a kroger pick up some fish fry. can't remember the brand name but it's in blue and red bags, semi see through. one is spicy and the other is plain. i mix 1 to 1 as the spicy is a bit much. roll in milk or egg then the mix and deep fry. dang my mouth is watering.;f add some hush puppies, fries and cole slaw. don't forget the beer. oh yeah! i may just be a redneck though.;f

paynter2
05-28-2002, 02:46
I like 'Shore Lunch' brand. Wash the fish and pat them dry. Coat using a zip lock bag. Fry in about 1/2 inch of oil (deep fry). Keep the heat high enough to fry quickly, but not hot enough to burn.

One trick I use that seems to work really well is to cut the walleye fillets into strips like chicken strips. Then, coat and fry. They fry up quicker and all the pieces fry in the same abount of time. Good luck fishing.

P.S. Where are you going in Canada?

TriggerTripper
05-28-2002, 09:09
I like to fry 'em up with the breading technique using crushed Keebler Townhouse crackers for the breading, works great for trout, walley, and bass. For croppie I like to bread them with crushed corn flakes. mix a small amout of milk into a bowl with a couple of eggs, (it should be sticky,and not to runny), dip the fillets into that, then shove them into the cracker crumbs. The secret is to cook them hot,and just for a few seconds (30?)on each side, a few of the cracker crumbs should be blackened....wash it down with the beverage of your own choosing...good luck!

switch625
05-28-2002, 09:36
what do you mean by cook them hot?

Glock You!
05-28-2002, 15:48
Shorelunch is good but if you like it spicy try Uncle Buck's hot n' spicy batter available thru Bass Pro Shops or your local grocery. I also recently tried Bill Dance Fish Fry in spicy and it is very good!

Ryobi
05-30-2002, 06:59
Dip 'em in buttermilk, then in cornmeal with a little salt and pepper. Fry in peanut oil. Done.

3MartiniLunch
05-30-2002, 10:32
I've found that flavor is better if you shake any spices on the fish BEFORE rolling them in flour. Spicing the flour can get pretty wasteful if you're making alot of fish and actually want to taste the spices. JMHO.

Sixgun357
05-30-2002, 11:24
I tried the Uncle Bucks and that stuff is hot, even the Mild stuff. I knew there was one with crackers and Im glad I figured out which one they were.

Glock You!
05-30-2002, 14:17
Originally posted by Sixgun357
I tried the Uncle Bucks and that stuff is hot, even the Mild stuff. I knew there was one with crackers and Im glad I figured out which one they were.

No pain no gain!!;6 ;6 ;6

TriggerTripper
05-31-2002, 07:28
Originally posted by switch625
what do you mean by cook them hot?

What I mean is to cook them at high temperature, the filletes should give a sizzle sound and put out a little smoke when they hit the pan, cook them for only a few seconds on each side. If your using a stove the medium high setting works about right. I realize that may not be a good answer, but I'm not that great of a cook...the recipes good though, give it a try!

switch625
05-31-2002, 09:52
i will, if i can catch any d*** crappie!:(

mikescooling
06-04-2002, 18:47
ouuu ouuuu
get this, flower and water are u wit me mix with a spoon leaving bumps this should have pan cake batter constancy just thicker than coating a spoon. I like salt and pepper high bulk garlic and other savory spices you choose only season fish.
not flower or water you're keeping the spices form burning under the batter by only seasoning fish. drop fish in oil make the fish floats so have at least 2 inches of oil. 375 to 400 F
mix water flower
spice fish common sense ,,not a lot
fry floating in oil
I have don over a hundred pounds doing this everybody went nuts
did I say i was don huh did I!!!
you need white sous witch is= Mao and sweet relish
red saus= ketchup, Tabasco, ginger, horseradish
keg of beer
oilbarrel cut in half for cooking corn you know 130 at a time Just kidding
hop this helps ;c ;c ;c ;) ;a