Please update on legislation... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Please update on legislation...

r2d4
01-31-2008, 09:51
I love the state of NC. I have found the cc laws here to be more on the restrictive side than were I used to live. What are the recent attepts to change this and who can I/WE call to support positive change? Example: (Carry in eating establishments that serve alcohal etc.)
Thanks in advance for this information.

magpie maniac
01-31-2008, 19:30
My wife, kids, and I moved to North Carolina in 2005 and we love it, too. We'll never leave this state.

That said, our concealed carry laws could stand to be relaxed a little bit. Last term, twin State House and Senate bills were introduced to allow concealed carry in restaurants. H831 (http://ftp.legislature.state.nc.us/Sessions/2007/Bills/House/HTML/H831v0.html) was introduced by Rep. Hilton and Rep. Steen. S1094 (http://ftp.legislature.state.nc.us/Sessions/2007/Bills/Senate/HTML/S1094v0.html) was introduced by Sen. Brock. It didn't make it out of committee.

The basic text of the bills are:

A BILL TO BE ENTITLED
AN ACT TO ALLOW PERSONS WITH CONCEALED HANDGUN PERMITS TO PROTECT THEMSELVES AND THEIR FAMILIES IN RESTAURANTS.
The General Assembly of North Carolina enacts:
SECTION 1. G.S. 14‑269.3(b) is amended by adding a new subdivision to read:
"(5) A person on the premises of an establishment that is a restaurant under G.S. 18B‑1000(2) or G.S. 18B‑1000(6) provided the person has a valid concealed handgun permit under Article 54B of Chapter 14 of the General Statutes."
SECTION 2. This act becomes effective December 1, 2007.

Let's hope it makes some progress this spring. Call your legislators.

r2d4
01-31-2008, 23:37
I am in Catawba county not to far from Lincolnton. Who do I call? And are those the bills I need to ask them to support?

Glock-R1980
02-01-2008, 10:39
I e-mailed Hilton this week and got a response by his secretary: She stated that these bills would not be able to be re-introduced into the short session of 2008, which starts in May, but that Rep. Hilton was going to submit them again in 2009.

Why we have to wait that long is beyond me? I'm just glad we've got an elected official that is willing to introduce such legislation.

r2d4
02-01-2008, 10:57
Wow. That is a long time. I hate to think of a whole year without any movement. I will contact and support from my end. Is this a stonewall attempt?:steamed:

RichardB
02-01-2008, 15:36
Here is a link to Grass Roots NC which keeps on top of 2nd Amendment issues within our state. You should join and get on their mailing lists. http://www.grnc.org/

Richard

Bosko
02-01-2008, 19:28
I was finally able to pin down a member of Grassroots at a recent gun show over their and NRA's inability to get legislation through Raleigh, specifically an expanded Castle Doctrine and relaxation over carrying in a restaurant that serves alcohol. They confirmed what I already know, having been told so "off the record" by a member of the "Raleigh Club". The current thinking of pro 2A legislators is that it would be better to put off introducing such legislation until they know they have the votes to get it out of committee, pass it in both houses and have the Governor sign it into law. The worst thing is to introduce it without the support of the movers and shakers and lose it on an open vote. The road back is often a steeper uphill climb. There are still special interest groups, that command loyalty within the state legislature, who have still not gotten over the passage of Concealed Carry - Handgun. They watch and wait.