Picking out a dress [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Picking out a dress

PilotKitten
01-31-2008, 16:25
Hey all. :wavey:

When me n' Murph go on vacation, I'm planning on dragging him to the Moulin Rouge. The website says "elegant attire required" but that tie and jacket aren't necessary. Sooo... what do *I* wear?

The closest thing to "elegant attire" I have (but not looking like I'm a prom date) is this dress:
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a382/PilotKitten/th_Symp9.jpg (http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a382/PilotKitten/Symp9.jpg)

But I'm not at all fond of it... in fact, I hate it. So... I want to buy a new one. :whistling:

So far I've found a few that have caught my eye and are in the price range I want, what do you gals think?

http://www.simplydresses.com/dresses-by-event/detail.cfm?key=244144&v=PD&cat=cruise

In chocolate:
http://www.simplydresses.com/dresses-by-event/detail.cfm?key=246030&v=PD&cat=holiday

Zonny
01-31-2008, 17:00
Very cute but it needs to be the black one. The white one looks like something you would wear to garden wedding.

Post a pic when you get it. :wavey:

PilotKitten
01-31-2008, 17:41
Very cute but it needs to be the black one. The white one looks like something you would wear to garden wedding.

Post a pic when you get it. :wavey:

I don't want the white one, I want the brown one. :supergrin:

BunnyOne
01-31-2008, 17:52
I would go with the black one.

AV1911
01-31-2008, 18:38
I would go with the black one.

+1 It fits the "elegant attire" description.

Zonny
01-31-2008, 18:54
I don't want the white one, I want the brown one. :supergrin:

Oh Duh!! Sorry...I missed that the first time around. I do like the brown one, but still would go with the black one.

MrsKitty
01-31-2008, 20:35
I like the one *you* are wearing.

Gee, wasn't that helpful? :rofl:

Mrs. Tink
02-01-2008, 07:13
I vote for the black one. :) I like the shadow stripe thing at the bottom.

c-mama
02-01-2008, 08:12
I like them all!!!!! :rofl:

If you are wanting to buy a new dress, then I guess get the black one. I like the brown one, too, but the black looks more elegant which is the look you're wanting, right?

PilotKitten
02-01-2008, 10:05
I like them all!!!!! :rofl:

If you are wanting to buy a new dress, then I guess get the black one. I like the brown one, too, but the black looks more elegant which is the look you're wanting, right?

See now I'm really not sure! Like I said, the website says "elegant attire" but when I did a google search of the dress code there I came up with some tripadvisor-type website where people were saying, "just wear what you wear out to restaurants", "dressy casual", and even "wear jeans if you want, they let us in!" So now I'm so very terribly confused.

I think the black *is* more elegant and formal but if the people on the net are to be believed then it seems like the brown would fit in better by being "dressier" but not too formal. Murph will more than likely be in nice khakis and a button-down shirt so I don't want to look too overdone in comparison, ya know?

Then again, the black can ship right away, wheras the brown won't ship until the 22nd. Should still be here in time for the trip but if I have to return because it doesn't fit or they send the wrong color or something I'm "le screwed".

Perhaps in typical female fashion I'll just decide to not make up my mind until 5 minutes before we head to the show and buy both! :supergrin:

ETA - Well, after carefully considering the opinions of everyone I know, I've ordered the black one. :supergrin: Thinking about snazzing it up a bit with a gold scarf I have and perhaps some patent red leather heels.

MrsKitty
02-01-2008, 11:15
Not the look you were going for but wow! I love this one!

http://www.simplydresses.com/_cache2/viewbigger/322f03cec6484076c25dde7fbe7f54c0.jpg

PilotKitten
02-01-2008, 11:32
That is a very pretty one! I'm surprised they made a photoshoot for a full-figured gal though. Even the websites advertising "plus sizes" still show the dress on some size 1 bimbo. I like to see what they look like on the body type they're selling it for, not just what they think looks good.

MrsKitty
02-01-2008, 12:31
That is a very pretty one! I'm surprised they made a photoshoot for a full-figured gal though. Even the websites advertising "plus sizes" still show the dress on some size 1 bimbo. I like to see what they look like on the body type they're selling it for, not just what they think looks good.

You are preaching to the choir, sister! :soap:

I sold my old prom dresses on ebay last year for some pretty decent cash. :)

WIG19
02-01-2008, 13:12
ETA - Well, after carefully considering the opinions of everyone I know, I've ordered the black one. :supergrin::number1:

When you walk-in, there will be silence as if someone just shot :piano:

:thumbsup:

:wavey: Have fun!

fnfalman
02-01-2008, 16:07
I prefer the cut of the chocolate one, but I don't think the color is right for you, PilotKitten. Go with the black one.

PilotKitten
02-01-2008, 17:06
I prefer the cut of the chocolate one, but I don't think the color is right for you, PilotKitten. Go with the black one.

My best colors are actually darker red/wine colors and shades of blue that make my eyes really pop. :supergrin:

Mrs. VR
02-04-2008, 19:22
I think you'll look great in the black one, and it wont MATTER if you're more dressed up than other patrons, it's a once in a lifetime experience, you'll have great memories!

PilotKitten
02-05-2008, 14:51
I think you'll look great in the black one, and it wont MATTER if you're more dressed up than other patrons, it's a once in a lifetime experience, you'll have great memories!

True, but what about being more dressed up than Murphy?? :supergrin: I don't want guys to think I'm "available" because it doesn't look like I'm with this guy at my table. :whistling:

2AMomma
02-05-2008, 18:47
If you are thinking you are going to feel awkward by over dressing Mr. Murphy.... then I would go with that feeling and have a back-up outfit. If he is going for a casual dressy (khaki's and a button down shirt) perhaps a dress that is a bit more on the casual side. But definetly take the black one along! As was previously stated - this is a memory in the making!! Plus it's France - when are you ever going to see those people again??

PilotKitten
02-06-2008, 18:02
Well, I am a little pressed for luggage space. We'll be flying into London start of our trip so only one checked bag for each of us and one carryon. And we'll be gone for about 3 weeks.

I'm trying to look into laundromats near our hotels or something because we can't pack 3 weeks worth of clothes without doing laundry at least once.

Sooo, pretty much packing 2 or 3 different dresses to fit my "mood" for the one night is kinda stupid. But hey, I'll be packing Murph's clothes too so I guess I'll just make sure it something that'll be okay. :supergrin:

MB-G26
02-07-2008, 02:54
PK, have you by chance tried using those "Space Bag" thingies - the 'travel' ones that don't have a valve for a vacuum cleaner to suck out the air, but rather, are something less than 3 ft. long and are rolled from bottom to top to remove the air and flatten out the clothes inside?

http://www.merchantamerica.com/spacesaverbag/438863983.jpg

Lately there's a subsequent mfg/brand other than the original "Space Bag" company - I haven't used those, but seems like they'd be as good as the originals, at least for the hand-roll ones.

I've found they're super handy especially when packing includes winter clothes, as those are usually thicker and more bulky than 'summer' items.

mitchshrader
02-07-2008, 03:04
black is good. do the hair DOWN, it's hawter.

wear that industrial franch parfum stuff with a 50 yard kill zone, and SLINK, gurl..

you can put murph in pajamas if you want, they'll never notice.. :)

PilotKitten
02-07-2008, 12:45
black is good. do the hair DOWN, it's hawter.

wear that industrial franch parfum stuff with a 50 yard kill zone, and SLINK, gurl..

you can put murph in pajamas if you want, they'll never notice.. :)

I normally wear my hair up so yes, special occasions warrant the hair down. None of my perfume has a "kill zone" though thankyouverymuch.

And there is this one pair of PJ pants I find Murph especially attractive in.... :whistling:

PK, have you by chance tried using those "Space Bag" thingies - the 'travel' ones that don't have a valve for a vacuum cleaner to suck out the air, but rather, are something less than 3 ft. long and are rolled from bottom to top to remove the air and flatten out the clothes inside?

http://www.merchantamerica.com/spacesaverbag/438863983.jpg

Lately there's a subsequent mfg/brand other than the original "Space Bag" company - I haven't used those, but seems like they'd be as good as the originals, at least for the hand-roll ones.

I've found they're super handy especially when packing includes winter clothes, as those are usually thicker and more bulky than 'summer' items.

I have. The ones I have are the "Space Bag" brand and they're not that great really IMO. I mean, they do help a little and I'll probably still use them when we go. Meh... I have uber elite packing skills anyway. :cool: (lol you should see how impressed Murph was when I packed for our Vienna vacation)

Mrs. VR
02-24-2008, 08:07
Do we have pics of the dress yet???

PilotKitten
02-25-2008, 03:53
No, I'm having "issues" with the company.

See, when I checked out on their website I entered my main email address as my contact info. But since I paid with paypal, they saw fit to send emails to that email which I barely check once a month. So, in getting around to checking the paypal email I find an email from them dated on the 6th saying that my dress wouldn't even ship until March 22nd.

We leave for our trip on March 23rd.

Sooooo yeah, I'm not a happy camper. I sent them back a letter first explaining that if I they ask me for a contact email then they'd better damn well use the one I give them. And told them I was none too happy with the fact that the website said the dress was in stock when I ordered and would ship THAT day or the next. He writes back and tells me the website says it would take extra days to ship because they have to order it themselves. I go back to the website and sure enough it does say it takes extra days to ship... 3-5 business days... NOT 2 MONTHS!!!

This all happened Friday... so I go back to see the chocolate dress I wanted on the website. It's a little confusing because it has two options for the dress... one says it's IN STOCK and the other says it'll be SHIPPING ON FEB 22ND... which was the day I was looking at it. Any normal person would look at that and think it's in stock right?

Well, I email him and tell him that if he can guarantee the chocolate will ship to me before March 3rd that I wanted to change my order to the chocolate. He tells me they won't be in until the "end of the month".

I'm still really pissed off. I told him they need to look into changing their website inventory software to accurately clarify what's in stock and what isn't.

Anywho... now I'm emailed them to cancel the order for the black one (since it won't be in on time) and to re-order the chocolate one. I'm going to call them to place the order for the chocolate one so I can speak with a manager/supervisor or something and give them a piece of my mind.

It's not like the guy replying to my emails was rude or anything, but the whole situation is just damned messed up and is total BS.

ETA: Argh.... I just looked at the website today and now the chocolate one's ship date has changed from Feb 22nd to March 7th. :steamed: Screw it... I'm going to call later today to cancel everything and demand a full and immediate refund!! What utter BS!!!

I'll just keep an eye open for a dress in London or Dublin then.... :(

fnfalman
02-25-2008, 11:49
Just tell Mr. Murphy that you need to stop by Milan...

WI-Guy
02-25-2008, 14:30
http://www.therosedress.com/

You might try this site. Sorry for coming in late on the issue and as a dude in a dudette conversation, but this site has gals the same size as the dress wearing them...Maybe it will help?

PilotKitten
02-26-2008, 16:30
Thanks for the link... I have it bookmarked in case I need to shop around later.

Yesterday I was checking my paypal email and realized I'd gotten an email from another CS rep saying that my dress order (the black one) is processed and will be shipping on the 6th.

If that's true then it'll be here in time.

I made sure they hadn't canceled the order yet and I guess I'll just wait it out. *sigh* I hope I don't get screwed over on this... gah.

PilotKitten
03-20-2008, 03:55
*sigh* I am far too trusting.

Since it's been a full 2 weeks since the 6th and stuff mailed Priority from the states only takes 1 week to get here, I emailed them asking where my order was. They sent back a form letter saying my order had been processed and is due to ship on the 22nd. :steamed:

I sent them back an email stating that that was UNACCEPTABLE. I want my damn money back. :steamed: I am so beyond pissed off. I ordered that dress a full month before our vacation and it was listed IN STOCK when I ordered. Only after they had my money did the website change to say the end of Feb (and now the end of Mar) before it's in stock. And then these representatives gave me the run-around. What utter crap.