Concealed carry & clothing [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Concealed carry & clothing

MB-G26
05-27-2002, 10:57
I've been thinking about how incompatible my usual manner of dressing is with future concealed carry after I get my permit for that. Summer, I usually live in oversized tee-shirts and elastic-waist, stretch cotton jersy-type shorts. I think I maybe own two pairs of shorts that have actual waistbands - jeans shorts.

In the winter I live in leggings and sweats. Obviously, neither my usual summer or winter way of dressing is gonna work......

Any good ideas? The thought of having to 'suit up' in stuff that always has a waistband, belt loops, etc., is NOT very appealing. Dressing up and compatibility isn't really an issue, since I rarely go anywhere (other than grocery, kid's school and such)or do anything 'social' :)

m

mxb
05-27-2002, 18:21
Try a bellyband...I like mine for clothes such as you describe as well as dresses and overalls.....

Amelia
05-28-2002, 05:11
I have found that a belt is needed to support the weight of the gun. For summer, you are halfway there with oversized tshirts, you just need to wear some shorts that have belt loops. I find the weight of my G26 or G19 really requires it (of course that might have something to do with my body shape, too!).

For winter, the same holds true, wearing pants or skirts with belt loops means I can wear a gun with any of my clothes, including very dressy ones.

Occasionally, I just have the P32 clipped onto my pocket (it looks like i'm carrying a knife).

Of course, there are lots of other options and you need to find what works for you!

If you want off body carry, there are a lot of great concealment bags of various descriptions from www.coronadoleather.com and similar companies. Not cheap, but excellent products (i have one i love!).

The fact that you like loose clothes is a plus for finding ways to carry. The gals that can't bear not to have their formfitting clothes are the ones with fewer options.

Good luck!

:)

MB-G26
05-29-2002, 10:17
(of course that might have something to do with my body shape, too!).

I wondered if body type/shape/size played into it. I'm 5 ft, 1-2 inches tall, 27" waist, 36" hips, weight bounces between 110-120, and constantly fight the genetic predisposition toward being a "pear"
:( (I'm staring age 44 in the face, so that fight isn't getting any easier ;a )

m

GlockMom
05-29-2002, 12:32
Do you have a pager or a cell phone?

I use a Pager Pal to carry my 17 concealed with my shirt tucked in. All that anybody sees is my phone. You can go to www.dillonprecison.com and look at it to see if might work for you.

Amelia
05-29-2002, 14:48
Originally posted by MB-G26

I wondered if body type/shape/size played into it. I'm 5 ft, 1-2 inches tall, 27" waist, 36" hips, weight bounces between 110-120, and constantly fight the genetic predisposition toward being a "pear"
:( (I'm staring age 44 in the face, so that fight isn't getting any easier ;a )

m

I think it's a combo of both body type and the type of clothing that is worn. I'm about your height and a whole lot heavier. If Rubens were painting today, he'd love me as a subject. However, I am not a pear, i have both broad shoulders (i was a champion butterflyer in my younger, swimming days) and broad hips... i think that actually makes it easier for me to conceal, though it doesn't necessarily make carrying very comfortable! ;P ;g

I like GlockMom's idea of using a decoy! Excellent!

MB-G26
05-29-2002, 14:50
Glockmom, yes. (With elderly & sick parents, and a 12 yo kid, I go NOwhere w/o the cell phone....)

I tried the link, but I'm getting a 404/not found error in IE. Would you venture a guess if it would hold a 26 as well as it does your 17?
m

Amelia
05-29-2002, 14:53
Originally posted by MB-G26
I tried the link, but I'm getting a 404/not found error in IE. Would you venture a guess if it would hold a 26 as well as it does your 17?
m

try this one: http://www.dillonprecision.com

MB-G26
05-29-2002, 17:11
Thanks! Link worked :)
According to description, a 26 w/go with the "Large"..... looks promising.
m

GlockMom
05-29-2002, 22:11
Sorry for the spelling error. Webtv does not have a spellcheck (only in e-mail). Glad I could offer some help though.

G30Jack
05-30-2002, 00:25
Girls with guns... Gotta love that!

You are all ok in my book! :)

If my spousal unit ever carried I'd bet on a purse of some kind...

Jack

Schnek
05-30-2002, 03:19
MB-G26
I have a very slightly used Pager Pal for sale. It is already molded to accept your G26. If you are interested email me.
Schnek

MB-G26
05-30-2002, 20:00
Thanks for posting the info! I don't think the difference in the links was spelling... it must have had something to do with the "www" vs "http"... but in either event, had you not mentioned the PagerPal I'm sure I wouldn't have come across it otherwise. I appreciate it!

Schnek - email coming your way :) Thanks!
m

Shoeless
05-31-2002, 17:06
Ladies, I posted a while back about just this very topic...how to carry concealed under soft comfy clothes. What I do is I simply put my leather belt around my waist, right over my skin and attach my holster to it like normal. Then I cover the bottom of the holster with the waistband of my squishy shorts or sweats for concealment and off I go.

Even though the clothes are soft, the belt gives the holster the support it needs to stay put. Heck, who needs belt loops?? Just strap that belt on right over your milky white skin and you're good to go! Hope this helps some of you. :)

Shoeless

SlimKim
06-01-2002, 03:57
MB-G26, Unfortunately, we usually do need to "suit up" in order to carry. I started carrying about 2 yrs ago and quickly discovered that elastic wastebands and form-fitting clothes pose a rather vexing problem (Alas Amelia, without form-fitting clothes, I have no form :( ). Now, whenever I go clothes shopping ;a I ask myself, "but where's the gun gonna go?".

One thing you might want to think about is getting a smaller, lighter carry gun. In the summer, I carry a Kel-Tec 9mm. It's quite small, very light and, I can get away with wearing it without a belt. My Glock only comes out in jacket weather.

Shoeless's idea of using the belt by itself under elastic wastebands sounds ingenious. Gotta try it. Thanks for the tip.:cool:

Amelia
06-01-2002, 04:48
Originally posted by SlimKim
Now, whenever I go clothes shopping ;a I ask myself, "but where's the gun gonna go?".

Smart Girl! That's what i like to hear! :)

I carry my G26 IWB almost all the time. When i'm lazy, i carry a Keltec P32 in my pocket (it's got a pocket clip on it that makes it look like i have a knife instead.)

I love hearing what works for others, it's good to know!

Shoeless
06-01-2002, 15:17
Every time I go clothes shopping (which I hate to do) I bring my gun along so that I can try on clothing with the gun underneath to be sure I get the right items that fit and conceal well enough.

My biggest challenge right now is where to pack when wearing dressy clothes when going to places such as weddings, the symphony, etc.

Business suits aren't too bad because they normally have a jacket but you just can't remove it the whole time, even if you're roasting hot. :)

Shoeless