Off-Limits Carry Locations?? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Off-Limits Carry Locations??

griggrt
02-04-2008, 17:16
I have been looking around for a list of places that are off-limits to carry in Alabama, and I am not sure that I have a reliable list.

I even called the sheriff's office and they referred me to the attorney general's website. Not very helpful.

Can anyone give me a list of places that are off-limits to carry? I am located in Lee County Alabama. Are there local restrictions or just state restrictions.

glocked_n_loade
02-04-2008, 18:05
i am with ya on this one... i am in lee county too.. the law is pretty unclear on this matter... i got a piece of paper with my permit that says "no schools".. "no places that sell primarily alcohol" but i cannot find anything to substantiate anything i have heard....so i will be watching this thread closely right along with you... i understand that the county sheriff, since he is the issuing authority, can put any of his own restrictions on the carry permit rules in his county.... so what may be fine in lee county may not be ok in russell county. and we thought georgia laws were vague...

hankfan79
02-04-2008, 22:50
I have been looking around for a list of places that are off-limits to carry in Alabama, and I am not sure that I have a reliable list.

I even called the sheriff's office and they referred me to the attorney general's website. Not very helpful.

Can anyone give me a list of places that are off-limits to carry? I am located in Lee County Alabama. Are there local restrictions or just state restrictions.

Not allowed:
Schools
Any city, county, state or federal building(includes post office)
Any establishment thats main revenue is alcohol(served, not sold)
Airport terminals

griggrt
02-04-2008, 23:38
OK.. sounds good.

That list seems to be (off the top of my head) considerably shorter than the list of off-limits locations in GA.

Thanks

hankfan79
02-04-2008, 23:42
OK.. sounds good.

That list seems to be (off the top of my head) considerably shorter than the list of off-limits locations in GA.

Thanks

You will find that Alabama's carry laws are some of the SLACKEST in the country. Damn I love living in the South!! LOL!!

Don't just take my word on the laws. Feel free to do some more research. I am sure there are more FINE PRINT areas in there. Those were the ones printed on my pistol permit.

mossy500camo
02-05-2008, 11:47
I have been trying to find info on this for years. I called the Sheriff, Local PD, etc. I always come up with different answers and opinions. Im like DAMN! Where can I carry in my car? Thats the way I sum everything up.

BamaBud
02-05-2008, 21:30
Y'all forgot about a big restriction that Alabama has:

It is unlawful for any person to have in his possession, or on his person, or in any vehicle any firearm while participating in or attending any demonstration being held at a public place, or within 1,000 feet of a demonstration after being warned by a police officer.

Other than that, the listing from Hankfan79 is pretty complete. Although, there is NO prohibition on carrying into an estaqblishment that sells/serves alcohol (at least in their summary).
The NRAILA.org website has a summary of state laws on all US states. Check it out.

My .02
BB

BamaBud
02-05-2008, 21:42
i understand that the county sheriff, since he is the issuing authority, can put any of his own restrictions on the carry permit rules in his county.... so what may be fine in lee county may not be ok in russell county. and we thought georgia laws were vague...

No, I don't think that this is true. The Code of Alabama has a "no preemption" clause. Basically, every little legal entity cannot make their own rules. Here is the wording (again from NRAILA.org):

No county or municipal corporation or its political subdivision shall regulate in any manner gun shows, the possession, ownership, transport, carrying, transfer, sale, purchase, licensing, registration or use of firearms, ammunition, components of firearms, firearms dealers, or dealers in firearm components.

If the local sheriff could make up his own rules, how would you ever know what is legal or not?

My .02
BB

rgregoryb
02-06-2008, 17:17
and as to the school thing...it is only public schools.

upon further reading if you are licensed to carry, you can carry in public schools

griggrt
02-06-2008, 20:01
and as to the school thing...it is only public schools.

upon further reading if you are licensed to carry, you can carry in public schools

???

Are you trying to say that you can carry at all private schools?

rgregoryb
02-06-2008, 20:05
???

Are you trying to say that you can carry at all private schools?

the law states that carrying concealed is prohibited in public schools grades k-12, unless you are the police etc or you are licensed to carry by the sheriff of the county

rgregoryb
02-06-2008, 20:09
The whole law:

http://www.ago.state.al.us/issue/Alabama_Weapon_Law.pdf

The cliff notes version

http://crime.about.com/od/gunlawsbystate/p/gunlaws_al.htm

griggrt
02-06-2008, 20:20
ok.. just checking, 'cause you said you could carry in Public schools.

griggrt
02-08-2008, 17:01
Did the moderator delete the last several posts?

cowboywannabe
02-12-2008, 01:02
somebody got rid of my post with definative links of the law.....

griggrt
02-12-2008, 07:33
strange.. didn't think there was anything inappropriate..

griggrt
02-16-2008, 13:39
somebody got rid of my post with definative links of the law.....

Before they were removed, was this what you were referring to?

http://www.legislature.state.al.us/CodeofAlabama/1975/coatoc.htm

Section 13A-11-72
Certain persons forbidden to possess pistol.

(a) No person who has been convicted in this state or elsewhere of committing or attempting to commit a crime of violence shall own a pistol or have one in his or her possession or under his or her control.

(b) No person who is a drug addict or an habitual drunkard shall own a pistol or have one in his or her possession or under his or her control.

(c) Subject to the exceptions provided by Section 13A-11-74, no person shall knowingly with intent to do bodily harm carry or possess a deadly weapon on the premises of a public school.

(d) Possession of a deadly weapon with the intent to do bodily harm on the premises of a public school in violation of subsection (c) of this section is a Class C felony.

(e) Law enforcement officers are exempt from this section, and persons with pistol permits issued pursuant to Section 13A-11-75, are exempt from the provisions of subsection (c) of this section.

(f) The term "public school" as used in this section applies only to a school composed of grades K-12 and shall include a school bus used for grades K-12.

(g) The term "deadly weapon" as used in this section means a firearm or anything manifestly designed, made, or adapted for the purposes of inflicting death or serious physical injury, and such term includes, but is not limited to, a bazooka, hand grenade, missile, or explosive or incendiary device; a pistol, rifle, or shotgun; or a switch-blade knife, gravity knife, stiletto, sword, or dagger; or any club, baton, billy, black-jack, bludgeon, or metal knuckles.

griggrt
02-16-2008, 13:42
If so, that is not all of the off limits locations. I'm trying to find a complete list of off limits locations.

BamaBud
02-16-2008, 14:28
I'm not a legislator, nor do I have any authority to decide these issues, but here is the list you keep asking for:

A license to conceal carry firearms does not authorize any person to carry a concealed firearm Into:
• any airport, courthouse or any other public building that specifically prohibits firearms;
• any city, state and federal facilities;
• any public gatherings such as sporting events, political events, parades, etc.

It's that simple. If you have a valid CCW license, you can pretty much carry CONCEALED anywhere else. YOu can only open carry on your own property.
Read this on the NRAILA.org website, and it gives the references to the applicable Alabama Code of Law, section by section. Here is the link:
http://www.nraila.org/statelawpdfs/ALSL.pdf

My .02
BB

glocked_n_loade
02-17-2008, 11:50
i got into this discussion on a forum at Georgiapacking.org and in doing some research... i found that a person can open carry in Alabama without a license while on foot.... not i nor anyone else could find out where open carry is dis-allowed. off limits locations are also being discussed. i will post a link as soon as i can... website offline at the present moment. included are AG opinions as well as a lot of good info.

glocked_n_loade
02-17-2008, 14:02
http://www.ago.state.al.us/oldopinions/8400205.pdf

glocked_n_loade
02-17-2008, 14:44
http://alabamafirearmrights.org/

hankfan79
02-17-2008, 14:59
Says plain as day:

It is a offense for a person to carry a pistol concealed on or about his person without a permit.

Damn that was dated 1984. Alot has changed since then...:whistling:

marklbucla
02-27-2008, 21:59
No county or municipal corporation or its political subdivision shall regulate in any manner gun shows, the possession, ownership, transport, carrying, transfer, sale, purchase, licensing, registration or use of firearms, ammunition, components of firearms, firearms dealers, or dealers in firearm components.

So even though the back of my CCW says:

"Your pistol license does not allow you to carry a pistol in any place that serves alcohol or while you are drinking or using an illegal drug."

Am I legally able to CCW in a place that serves alcohol?? (while not drinking, of course)

On a related note, I did hear that Tuscaloosa county sheriff Sexton was being sued over not signing off on Class III stuff and that's the reason why he left. So he is legally obligated to sign off on Class III applications?

glocked_n_loade
02-29-2008, 00:48
So even though the back of my CCW says:

"Your pistol license does not allow you to carry a pistol in any place that serves alcohol or while you are drinking or using an illegal drug."

Am I legally able to CCW in a place that serves alcohol?? (while not drinking, of course)

On a related note, I did hear that Tuscaloosa county sheriff Sexton was being sued over not signing off on Class III stuff and that's the reason why he left. So he is legally obligated to sign off on Class III applications?

check out this thread..... it is on an alabama specific forum:
http://alabamafirearmrights.drcomputerllc.net/viewtopic.php?t=130&highlight=

BamaBud
03-02-2008, 10:02
Griggrt and others in Lee County:
Looks like the sheriff teaches a class in Firearms handling/safety.

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=835702

If you want the definitive answer to your questions, why not take the class and report back here? You could also go armed (pun) with the Carry statutes (even Open Carry) and ask about them!

My .02
BB

glocked_n_loade
03-03-2008, 19:47
alabama firearm rights association has moved their forum.... new location is:

http://forum.alabamagunrights.org/index.php

remember to update bookmarks