BGSL closes GP and rifle ranges [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : BGSL closes GP and rifle ranges

AutomotiveTech
02-05-2008, 13:50
I got an e-mail today from the Sportsman's League saying due to safety issues the general purpose and rifle ranges would be closed untill further notice. No other information, and I can not attend the membership meeting tonight. Does anyone know the whole story? I generally avoid the GP range when there are more than a couple people there because of my own safety concerns, but that has been the case for years. Why shut them down all of a sudden and with less than one day notice before the monthly meeting?

crabpainter
02-05-2008, 16:38
My friend is a member there and got the same message today. Safety?
He says he routinely hears shots fired while checking targets downrange with "cold" range lights on. When confronted, these shooters offer excuses like "I'm sorry", or "what's the problem"?
He's talked to several different folks about this but the situation continues. I've been invited to go there but have always turned him down... perhaps it's best.

Don't they also have an archery range and fly fishing area?

AutomotiveTech
02-05-2008, 20:11
The Bluegrass Sportsman's League is a beautiful facility and I strongly suggest you take your friend up on his offer. The yearly dues are a bargain for what you have access to. I have never seen anything like what your friend described, but from what I have seen I can believe it. Most members are friendly and responsible, but it is not reasonable to expect an organization of this size to not have a few reckless jerks. Check out their website at bgslinc.com (sorry I haven't figured out how to do a link). I do not want to speculate on what caused the closures, and hopefully someone who knows the true story will clue me in.

Berretta9
02-06-2008, 17:30
I understand that the pistol shooting there is also suffering since the bonehead removal of Lin Edwards.

AutomotiveTech
02-07-2008, 11:47
I think it is to early to tell if the IDPA matches will decline in quality since Mr. Edwards left. I know alot of people were dissapointed to see him go. The range closures were due to exactly what I suspected - bullets traveling over the backstop. I do not know this for sure, but I am fairly certain it is not a problem with the range but the irresponsibilty of certain members.:frown: