Living in Boston this Summer, where to live? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Living in Boston this Summer, where to live?

Easterbrook
02-05-2008, 14:40
I'll be living in Boston for work from May - August and was curious where I should live. I'm not going to be able to visit Boston to find housing first, so I'm doing it online.

My employer is located near the New England Aquarium (I'm not sure what that part of Boston is called). I'm 25 and would like to live somewhere that is fairly near to where I'll be working (by train or walking) that is not overly expensive or boring; if such a place exists.

I've heard people mention Back Bay and Beacon Hill as nice places to live, but I don't know much about them or if they are even nearby.

If any of you have suggestions of good neighborhoods to live in or anything else, please let me know.

cyrsequipment
02-06-2008, 13:52
I'll be living in Boston for work from May - August and was curious where I should live. I'm not going to be able to visit Boston to find housing first, so I'm doing it online.

My employer is located near the New England Aquarium (I'm not sure what that part of Boston is called). I'm 25 and would like to live somewhere that is fairly near to where I'll be working (by train or walking) that is not overly expensive or boring; if such a place exists.

I've heard people mention Back Bay and Beacon Hill as nice places to live, but I don't know much about them or if they are even nearby.

If any of you have suggestions of good neighborhoods to live in or anything else, please let me know.

Anywhere BUT Boston is fine.

Easterbrook
02-06-2008, 15:24
Anywhere BUT Boston is fine.

Ha ha. Actually, for what I do, my choices of cities were NYC, Chicago, DC, and Boston. I liked Boston the best.

cyrsequipment
02-12-2008, 16:35
Ha ha. Actually, for what I do, my choices of cities were NYC, Chicago, DC, and Boston. I liked Boston the best.

You working for the federal government?

Easterbrook
02-12-2008, 19:46
You working for the federal government?

No, I'm cool. :supergrin:

I did some research and it looks like back bay and beacon hill are obscenely expensive. The median salary for a male in Beacon Hill is $1.8 million. :wow: Too rich for me.

I like baseball, maybe I'll try around Fenway.

dixidawg
02-12-2008, 20:13
If CCW is important to you, you DON'T want to live in the city of Boston. It is virtually impossible to obtain a permit. The Mass laws are a bit convoluted to say the least :wow: The Chief of Police of each town has the power to determine your "suitability" to CCW. Choose the town you will live in wisely.

Here are some threads to check out:

http://northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=81

http://northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=8703

lens
02-13-2008, 07:49
If CCW is important to you, you DON'T want to live in the city of Boston. It is virtually impossible to obtain a permit. The Mass laws are a bit convoluted to say the least :wow: The Chief of Police of each town has the power to determine your "suitability" to CCW. Choose the town you will live in wisely.

Although I agree with the above, it sounds like the OP will not qualify for a RESIDENT LTC as he only intends to stay in MA for a short time. Also, many of the towns around Boston will take almost all of that time prior to handing you your LTC, so it will be useless during his short stay.

Better to apply for a NR LTC, NOW! It won't be restricted, it will cover him regardless of what city/town he chooses to live in and allow him to thumb his nose at Mumbles Menino (bumbling fool of a Boston Mayor). The state issues all NR LTCs.

Only downside of a NR LTC, you can NOT buy anything in MA . . . no ammo and no long guns. Plan on trips to NH for anything you need.

Arlington is the closest town (and on public transportation) that will issue LTC-A/ALP to most folks, that would allow him to CCW. However I am not aware of any chiefs that will issue a LTC if told "I'll be here until August".

Good luck, regardless of what you decide to do.

RED64CJ5
02-13-2008, 08:23
No, I'm cool. :supergrin:

I did some research and it looks like back bay and beacon hill are obscenely expensive. The median salary for a male in Beacon Hill is $1.8 million. :wow: Too rich for me.

I like baseball, maybe I'll try around Fenway.

I lived in Boston for 8 years and now am back in my native Texas. I think you're going to have a blast there and I congratulate you for such a good choice over the other cities mentioned.

You should start studying Craigslist for places. You can find some really neat housing on that site... boston.craigslist.org

Easterbrook
02-19-2008, 22:40
Thanks everyone for the replys and suggestions.

I will be there just for the Summer, late May - mid August. However, if everything goes well with the job this summer, it will mean full time employment upon graduation in May 2009.

I'm a bit bummed about Boston's repressive gun laws, but if I move there permanently I may try to get a place in NH. Perhaps even just a weekend cottage or something that I can list as my permanent residence, and then have an apartment in Boston. I don't know, stuff to think about for sure.

lens
02-20-2008, 06:47
Realize that unless you are a "legal resident" of Boston, they will NOT issue you a parking sticker. Almost all of Boston is "Resident Only Parking" and they ticket/tow vociferously! Parking Stickers are issued for each "community" within Boston, so someone living in Back Bay can NOT legally park in the Fenway area, etc.

Boston sucks big time! Best to live outside the city and commute as you need to. It ain't only guns that are an issue there. It's corrupt to the core.

There are public transportation options that can get you in/out of the city to the nearby suburbs relatively cheaply for work/school. Parking downtown costs $20-35/day, if you contract monthly it's a lot cheaper but still probably $200+/month!

Easterbrook
02-20-2008, 14:14
Yeah, I knew parking could be an issue. I'll figure something out when I move there more permanently in 2009. I probably won't live right in the City then-- get something bigger and cheaper outside of the city.

TheHighwayman
02-26-2008, 21:20
There are ALOT of bedroom communities around Boston with connections to the MBTA. Theres a T stop not 5 min walk from the Aquarium on the Blue Line. so look for proximity to the MBTA in a suburb and you're fine. (Avoid the commuter rail system or you'll be broke before August.) If you need more suggestions I'm from Mass so just send me a PM.

Easterbrook
02-27-2008, 19:58
Thanks for the info on the MBTA.

I think what I may do is just go out to Boston a week before work begins and try to find a place. I've been looking on craigslist for sublets, but most of the ones being posted now are for sublets beginning in March.

I'd also like to see the place before I commit. I once had an awful experience renting an apartment sight unseen--it was a disaster. So, I think my only option is to go out there and look in mid-may.

Keef
03-10-2008, 05:02
Check out Cambridge, Sommerville, Arlington, Allston, Brighton, Brookline sections. Maybe Revere and Lynn off the T.

Stay away from Dorchester, Hyde Park , Jamaica Plain, Roxbury, Fields Corner, Ashmont,

Easterbrook
03-14-2008, 20:54
Check out Cambridge, Sommerville, Arlington, Allston, Brighton, Brookline sections. Maybe Revere and Lynn off the T.

Stay away from Dorchester, Hyde Park , Jamaica Plain, Roxbury, Fields Corner, Ashmont,

I have a friend who will be working the same job who has a lead on a two bedroom in Cambridge-- if it's still available I may take the second room. The apartment sounds nice, is reasonably priced, and it is near some train I can take to my job (or so I've been told). I hope it works out.

Are there any nice places around Fenway Park, or is this a good area to live (would transportation to my job near the Aquarium be a problem)? I like baseball and think it would be fun to live near the park.

MRusso39
03-21-2008, 23:06
Malden is only about 10 minutes north of boston, and is reasonably priced for apartments. There's a T-stop there too that will take you right to the aquarium. A little further north there is Saugus, Melrose, Lynnfield, Peabody, Salem, Wakefield- all nice suburbs within about 20 min from Boston. You could either drive straight into Boston or drive to the T-station. Malden Center in Malden and Oak Grove in Melrose are stops off the T, and Salem has a train that will take you in too.

I can't think of a single area in boston itself that inexpensive and a nice area. I would love to live in the italian section, the North End, but that's expensive too.

S. Kelly
03-22-2008, 00:18
West Roxbury, if the Cambridge place falls thru.