touring seats [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : touring seats

wolfy692005
02-07-2008, 17:02
Has anyone upgreaded thier stock touring seat? I hear there a couple guys doing them with aircraft form fitting foam or something.. just wondering if anyone had any done and how you like them.. 15K last year with more expected this year and the stock 11 y/o seat are not cutting it.
:crying:

Timotheous46
02-07-2008, 18:57
I sent my seats to these folks.

http://www.meancitycycles.com

I got the seats back in short time and they seem to have been modified with great care. I have only sat on the seats in the barn and made cool engine sounds so far as ice covered roads do not tempt me anymore. But they do seem to be more comfortable than the original seats.

The cost was a lot less than new seats and I don't have a old set of seats to dispose of.

As soon as I get more than .001 miles on them I can give you a better review.

Tim

xring04
02-07-2008, 19:23
I love my corbin seat.

All I got to add.:embarassed:

wolfy692005
02-08-2008, 19:31
I sent my seats to these folks.

http://www.meancitycycles.com

I got the seats back in short time and they seem to have been modified with great care. I have only sat on the seats in the barn and made cool engine sounds so far as ice covered roads do not tempt me anymore. But they do seem to be more comfortable than the original seats.

The cost was a lot less than new seats and I don't have a old set of seats to dispose of.

As soon as I get more than .001 miles on them I can give you a better review.

Tim
i got thier web site from a friend and they sound great... i will be looking into them big time

fnfalman
02-09-2008, 09:08
I don't know if Sargent makes seat for cruisers or not, but their seats are awesome. The Sargent seat on my 2005 Aprilia Tuono is light years better than the Corbin seat on my 2007 Aprilia Tuono. The Corbin is barely more comfortable than the stock seat and the holes don't line up with the frame not to mention the seat pan looks like it was made by a Chinese sweatshop worker.

xring04
02-10-2008, 15:41
When I had my sv650 I had a sargent seat, heck, they even put a convertible top on a car my mom had. They do nice work, but, I had a seam come apart on my sv's seat.

No problem, I cruised over to their shop and asked them about fixing it. They pretty much called me a liar and claimed I tore the seat. I tired to explain that the stitching failed. They pretty much gave me the finger and told me to pound sand.

I will never buy another one of their products.

I had a local upholstery shop fix the seat, they said it was a defect as well.

codivecop
02-12-2008, 17:57
Has anyone upgreaded thier stock touring seat? I hear there a couple guys doing them with aircraft form fitting foam or something.. just wondering if anyone had any done and how you like them.. 15K last year with more expected this year and the stock 11 y/o seat are not cutting it.

I will email you as well to ensure you get this:cool:

From a LDRider (the guys who ride 11K in 11 days!) email$500 is cheap for a custom seat.
I currently have an 1150 GS Adventure. Worst stock seat I've EVER had. Currently have a spare Corbin ($800 for heated dual seat with backrest). Came with the bike. I'd never pay for one. Hard and uncomfortable after an hour. Russell is getting built right now.
Previous bike was on 06 FJR. Got it cause ergos were supposedly improved. Couldn't walk after my first 24 hour rally. Bought a Sargent ... which is an improvment but it's not a custom seat built to your backside. Those are over $500. Sucked after 3 hours. I've also tried re-foaming my Corbin with the same foam the custom makers use. Spent about $150 on parts and getting a local shop to stretch the cover back on and rivet it in. Still no good.

Bought a used Bill Meyer (Rocky Meyer) but the PO is the same exact size as me. Great for up to 8 hours. Rode it on a 3 day 3000 mile run and hated it by the time I got home.
Same story with the Rick Meyer seat. These last two will run you $300-400 even used.
So, it seemed a bargain when I got a Russell built for the FJR for $550. Fit me like a glove. Took about a thou to break in. After that, riding pain free, even on back to back looong days. Also noticed my shoulder and neck discomfort went away, as I was seated in just the right spot, with arms and legs also appropriately arranged. So, that's why I ordered one up for the GSA. Due in a few weeks - I can't wait.

I think when you are under 30 and also if you only do the occasional long ride, you can get by with a stock seat and a sheepskin. As you get a little older, things start to hurt a bit more. Also, with too much bend in your knees, or too much weight in the wrong spot on your thighs, you can get a deep vein thrombosis ... potentially a limb losing problem or worse. A custom seat will prevent that as it takes into consideration your height, arm length, posture, leg length, and sitting position, as well as butt shape.

All in all, a Russell is a bargain. I hear Rich in Seattle is also great. These represent the best of the best. now that I know the labor and thought involved in making a custom seat, I feel it's even more of a bargain.

Hope that helps.

Goldstar225
02-21-2008, 13:59
For a cruiser, I can't speak highly enough for the Mustang seat. While it's a bit pricey ($460.00 for the two piece), IMO it's worth every penny. My wife and I do 300-400 mile days frequently. With the stock seat we were in agony but with the Mustang it's no problem.

Halojumper
02-21-2008, 16:41
My Valk came with a Corbin seat and it's been great.

beemerphile
02-21-2008, 17:52
Russell DayLong leather. Accept no substitutes.

codivecop
02-22-2008, 03:01

I heard that!!!!!!! But I don't have one yet :crying:

codivecop
02-22-2008, 03:02
But the www.beadrider.com saved my butt on my trip last summer 6k/12 days!

Halojumper
02-22-2008, 08:11

Dang, that's a lotta miles dude!

xring04
02-22-2008, 20:28

So how exactly does the bead seat help?

My buddy swears by them and wants me to try one.

wolfy692005
02-22-2008, 23:12
you are probably right, however i can not afford the 700+ bucks they want for one. It is like 250 ea for driver and pass. Plus we are heavy add 125 ea for that, shipping both ways.. we are over 700 bucks..

beemerphile
02-23-2008, 06:18
you are probably right, however i can not afford the 700+ bucks they want for one. It is like 250 ea for driver and pass. Plus we are heavy add 125 ea for that, shipping both ways.. we are over 700 bucks..

Then the low bucks approach would depend of the defects in the original seat. I have never had a good Corbin, but I have had Sargent seats that were a big improvement over stock. Sometimes you can reshape it with foam and recover it yourself. Alaskan Leather sheepskin pads work wonders and 2 million Iranian cab drivers cannot be wrong about wooden beads.

Good luck solving the puzzle within the constraints. That's where new solutions come from. Something about necessity being a mother.

wolfy692005
02-23-2008, 12:57
just bought a mustang regal seat new.. we will try that and see how it goes.

wolfy692005
02-24-2008, 15:15
latest update is because of high cost of some seats we have elected to buy a new mustang regal seat.. should be here middle of next week..
will see how that works

codivecop
02-26-2008, 00:48
So how exactly does the bead seat help?

My buddy swears by them and wants me to try one.

First it allows air flow under yer butt to prevent Monkey Butt.

Second, the best way I can describe it is: its almost like a little massage.

I have a regular stock seat. During the above mentioned ride I remembered reading about one LD rider who would alternate between his stock seat bare, and with the beads so his butt doesn't get tired of one or the other. I tried this and made it about 10 minutes before I put the beads back down. This was after a Saddle Sore 1000 (1K in less than 24 hours) and about halfway through another 500 miles the next day. The beads stayed on the rest of the ride!!!

another thing the beads do for me is ever so slightly add about 1/2" in height to the seat. Again, its a regular stock seat, and I should technically have a "tallboy" seat. It is amazing what a little adjusting can do to a ride!

codivecop
02-26-2008, 00:50
Dang, that's a lotta miles dude!

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y41/codivecop/BK1/DSCN0045.jpg

With Pride!!!!!!! :thumbsup:

wolfy692005
02-26-2008, 16:29
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v692/red76harley/ironbutt2.jpg
Hey i have one of those!!!!:wavey:

wolfy692005
03-08-2008, 18:53
finally got the mustang seat in and on the bike.. inital feeling is it is more firm.. I will ride the bike in to work tomorrow and see..