Gun show at the Glendale Civic Center [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Gun show at the Glendale Civic Center

jaws48
02-09-2008, 14:10
Well, I just returned from my first "gun show". Not sure what I expected now that I been there. It was great to see lots of old guns and lots of new, but I didn't see anything there (except for NIB) that was not, in my opinion, significantly overpriced. Maybe I don't understand the value of old and very used "field" guns much like three in my safe.

All the vendors (all but one anyway) were very friendly and great to talk to.

Someone set me straight here...I don't get the draw. Maybe it is just not for me. Maybe if I had been looking for some esoteric gun part...

Everyone including me seemed to be having a good time but I left wondering what I got for the price of admission.

mitchshrader
02-09-2008, 14:53
ok.. i'll tell ya WHY. chance to meet fellow gun owners and enthusiasts, primarily. social event where you can kinda relax you're not a wierdo for owning a .45.. way to find local traders, gun owners with private shootin' spots, good 'meet-up' spot.

always the chance of a score, part treasure hunt. a rare gun, a cheap gun, some specialty ammo, a new trinket from a flashlight to a rifle scope, and SOMEBODY has good jerky..

a chance to SELL a gun, or swap it in on one, without investing in advertising, parking lot deals sometimes, either direction.. makes you feel lucky, good for morale.

a chance to get a feel for retail prices.. and finger out which dealers you absolutely can NOT talk to, and which ones don't suck.

scuse the french.

kinda a 'shot show' mixed with a flea market mixed with a saturday at the range.. overall just a pleasant alternative to blowing money in some silly way or belching over cornflakes and Scooby Doo videos..

jaws48
02-09-2008, 22:29
Thanks for the insight.

dsgrntldPW
02-10-2008, 15:04
I noticed you hit the Glendale gun show. Not a good one to start with, in fact probably one of the worst shows in the Valley (unless it has been seriously upgraded lately). In two weeks there will be a Crossroads show at the State Fairgrounds. It ain't the best of the year, but it is a real gunshow that will give you the full experience. It's tax time and vendors (many from out of state) will be out in force to help you spend your refund.

The best show of the year here is the first weekend of December, the Crossroads/Small Arms Review (SAR) show. Though it has not been as good as in past years lately, a gun enthusiast will still feel like a pig in s#*t.

Another good smaller show is usually the Mesa shows at Centennial Hall.

jaws48
02-11-2008, 18:04
Thanks for the info.