Yamaha Raider [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha Raider

pesticidal
02-10-2008, 08:56
Yeah, there's a few things I don't like about the looks, but I sat on one last weekend, and would really like to move up to one of these from my V-Star.

http://www.starmotorcycles.com/assets/content/images/600/08RaiderS_blue_3_55a91817.jpg

Awesome power, and from the reports I've seen, handles very well for a big bike.

Halojumper
02-11-2008, 17:37
I sat on one at the dealer. It seemed comfortable, but the pipes look stupid. It has gotten good reports from the mags, so far. They rate it higher than the Harleys (like that's a surprise).

pesticidal
02-11-2008, 17:40
I've got a butt without a lot of padding, I thought the seat was pretty hard.

I didn't like the pipes at first, but the more I look at them, the better they get somehow.

I'm 6' and have fairly long arms, so the handlebars fit pretty well, but I think a short driver might have a tough time on long trips with the standard setup.

codivecop
02-12-2008, 16:51
I'm 6' and have fairly long arms, so the handlebars fit pretty well, but I think a short driver might have a tough time on long trips with the standard setup.

And just how long are these rides you speak of?????:whistling:

:wavey:

:harley: :supergrin:

pesticidal
02-12-2008, 17:27
And just how long are these rides you speak of?????:whistling:

:wavey:

:harley: :supergrin:

Nothing like what you do, hard-ass...

:supergrin:

codivecop
02-12-2008, 17:55
Nothing like what you do, hard-ass...

:supergrin:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y41/codivecop/BK1/DSCN0045.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y41/codivecop/Smileys/smiley.gif

fnfalman
02-15-2008, 16:36
Firm seats are good for long ride. You don't want sagging foam for seat cushions.

Halojumper
02-15-2008, 16:39
Firm seats are good for long ride. You don't want sagging foam for seat cushions.

It still has to be a balance. A board is nice and firm, but you wouldn't want to ride on that very long.

White Buffalo
02-18-2008, 23:24
They ever get the valve problem taken care of in those motors?

White Buffalo
02-18-2008, 23:29
They rate it higher than the Harleys (like that's a surprise).Cool, so in 7 years, when you need to do a top end rebuild on it, it shouldn't be a problem finding parts to do it.... oh wait, that's right, they'll have already moved on to the next "greatest thing", making that bike and most parts for it obsolete. Eh, I'll pass.

pesticidal
02-19-2008, 06:01
Looks like someone has an erection problem with Yamaha.

I've had a Harley. Still trying to get rid of the oil stain in my garage. Harley's also had some issues with cams, and have also moved on to the latest and greatest engine design.

Halojumper
02-19-2008, 07:55
Cool, so in 7 years, when you need to do a top end rebuild on it, it shouldn't be a problem finding parts to do it.... oh wait, that's right, they'll have already moved on to the next "greatest thing", making that bike and most parts for it obsolete. Eh, I'll pass.

What you say might be true, but if you're going to be so afraid of that that you stay with outdated technology that you know will never be updated, then I suppose that's your choice. BTW, my more then ten year old Valkyrie is past that magical 7 year rebuild point and there is no sign of it needing anything other than regular scheduled maintenance. I prefer to buy a bike, based on function, not fear. YMMV

White Buffalo
02-19-2008, 13:38
Looks like someone has an erection problem with Yamaha.

I've had a Harley. Still trying to get rid of the oil stain in my garage. Harley's also had some issues with cams, and have also moved on to the latest and greatest engine design. I got no problem with yamaha, except the horror stories I hear from my buddy that works at the maintenance dept. of American motorsports here in nashville. Hondas, great.... yamaha, not so much...
And just to show I'm not biased, I'll post pics of my xs650 chopper when I get home from work... The japs did an alright job copying the design from the brits, they just cheaped out in several depts of that motor, mainly electrical. And that's a trend they aven't seemed to stop.

Not a harley or nothing kind of guy, I like R1's just fine... love riding my buddys. Their star bikes are disposable though. If that fits your bill, have at it, me, I like the fact that I'm gonna be able to rebuild my motor anytime it may need it. How many 50 year old metrics (other than the brits) you see rolling around just fine, putting real miles on them? Me, not many. There's a reason for that.

White Buffalo
02-19-2008, 13:40
What you say might be true, but if you're going to be so afraid of that that you stay with outdated technology that you know will never be updated, then I suppose that's your choice. BTW, my more then ten year old Valkyrie is past that magical 7 year rebuild point and there is no sign of it needing anything other than regular scheduled maintenance. I prefer to buy a bike, based on function, not fear. YMMV
My motor is quite updated than what they had many years ago, small improvements is all it needs. If your happy with your Val, great (actually, best bike hondas built IMHO), but how many miles are on that odometer?

Halojumper
02-19-2008, 13:51
How many 50 year old metrics (other than the brits) you see rolling around just fine, putting real miles on them? Me, not many. There's a reason for that.

You don't see too many 50 year old ones because they didn't make any real road bikes back then. But if you look at when they started making more road worthy bikes, and really look at it closely, I don't think you are going to find that the Harleys are the ones with the longevity and miles. Of course, everybody knows that one Harley guy with a million miles, but he is, by far, the exception, not the rule.

Halojumper
02-19-2008, 13:54
My motor is quite updated than what they had many years ago, small improvements is all it needs. If your happy with your Val, great (actually, best bike hondas built IMHO), but how many miles are on that odometer?

It's mostly used as a commuter bike, so not all that many, really. It's just a tad short of 45k. I do know a number of Valk and Wing riders who are well into six figures, while I can't say I know any HD riders who are. That was true even back when I rode Harleys and wouldn't hang out with metric riders. Plus, around here, you don't see many Harley riders if it is below about 50 degrees. But, hey, they look and sound cool. It's all about the lifestyle... :rofl:

White Buffalo
02-19-2008, 15:44
It's mostly used as a commuter bike, so not all that many, really. It's just a tad short of 45k. I do know a number of Valk and Wing riders who are well into six figures, while I can't say I know any HD riders who are. That was true even back when I rode Harleys and wouldn't hang out with metric riders. Plus, around here, you don't see many Harley riders if it is below about 50 degrees. But, hey, they look and sound cool. It's all about the lifestyle... :rofl:
go take a look around your local 1% bar/clubhouse and take a look at the mileage on some of those bikes. Might change your view a bit.

Halojumper
02-19-2008, 15:52
go take a look around your local 1% bar/clubhouse and take a look at the mileage on some of those bikes. Might change your view a bit.

There's a reason they are called 1%ers. They are a small, and relatively insignificant, segment of the biking population.

White Buffalo
02-19-2008, 16:02
There's a reason they are called 1%ers. They are a small, and relatively insignificant, segment of the biking population.
not gonna get into an internet arguement with a stranger about clubs and their importance, or your viewed lack there of, but they put the miles on their harley's, regardless of weather, that you say people don't... Ride what you like man, really. Safe travels to you and yours.

Halojumper
02-19-2008, 16:11
not gonna get into an internet arguement with a stranger about clubs and their importance, or your viewed lack there of, but they put the miles on their harley's, regardless of weather, that you say people don't... Ride what you like man, really. Safe travels to you and yours.

As I said earlier, I said most don't. When I said insignificant, I meant statistically. I still contend that you can't generalize about any group based on 1% of them. As far as social insignificance, that's a whole other discussion.

White Buffalo
02-19-2008, 16:18
As I said earlier, I said most don't. When I said insignificant, I meant statistically. I still contend that you can't generalize about any group based on 1% of them. As far as social insignificance, that's a whole other discussion.

it's a retaliation term for the ama, not an actual percentage... Can't speak for anyone else, but I own a harley and no other form of transportation. It's how I get to where I'm going..

Halojumper
02-19-2008, 16:59
it's a retaliation term for the ama, not an actual percentage... Can't speak for anyone else, but I own a harley and no other form of transportation. It's how I get to where I'm going..

While the AMA thing is certainly the origin of the term, the actual percentage nowdays is likely even way lower than that. As I said, that is not a significant percentage of the population, especially to be basing a high mileage conclusion. But, like you said, ride what you like and enjoy.

pesticidal
02-20-2008, 11:15
Raider s
$13980
Weight 719
Wheelbase 70.7
Seat Height 27.5
Fuel Mileage 40.1
0-60 3.8
1/4 mile time 12.09
1/4 mile speed 108.14
Horsepower @ 85.9@4500
Torque @ 85.9@2400
Top Speed 125

pesticidal
02-20-2008, 11:20
Nice pipes on the one in the showroom

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b200/pesticidal/family/raider.jpg

codivecop
02-20-2008, 11:45
Brief history: My name is Nick Shaw. I rode for 36 years, on three continents, and just over 700,000 miles. I rode all year (except when it was snowing (except when I was caught in it...)). I owned a Kawasaki, a Suzuki, 2 Hondas, and 3 Yamahas before going to Harley. www.docharley.com

Our motorcycle is a 1994 model Electraglide Classic, 1340cc, manufactured in November 1993 and purchased new in January of 1994...On the 26th day of July 2007 our Harley-Davidson clocked over 500,000 km's in Sri Lanka and was just short of its 14th manufacture birthdate. http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/forwood/index.shtml

Halojumper
02-20-2008, 15:25
Raider s
$13980
Weight 719
Wheelbase 70.7
Seat Height 27.5
Fuel Mileage 40.1
0-60 3.8
1/4 mile time 12.09
1/4 mile speed 108.14
Horsepower @ 85.9@4500
Torque @ 85.9@2400
Top Speed 125

Yeah, that looks better than anything Harley is putting out these days.

Halojumper
02-20-2008, 15:26
Nice pipes on the one in the showroom

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b200/pesticidal/family/raider.jpg

Those pipes look way better than stock. I wonder if they are legal.

pesticidal
02-20-2008, 15:32
Those pipes look way better than stock. I wonder if they are legal.

The sales guy fired it up for me. Nice, nice rumble at idle. He cracked it just a little bit, and it sounded awesome. Not sure how loud it would get at full throttle, though.

Halojumper
02-20-2008, 15:41
The sales guy fired it up for me. Nice, nice rumble at idle. He cracked it just a little bit, and it sounded awesome. Not sure how loud it would get at full throttle, though.

Hopefully, it's not too loud. Several of the cities and towns around here have started cracking down on loud pipes.

DriBak
03-09-2008, 21:00
Yeah, I'm running to the Yamaha dealership to trade in my HD :sarcasm:

Halojumper
03-09-2008, 21:08

They won't give you anything for that junque! :)

pesticidal
03-10-2008, 05:58

Didn't ask you to trade it in. But when a Raider pulls up and away, you'll be wondering why HD can't keep up in the market.

White Buffalo
03-10-2008, 11:01
Didn't ask you to trade it in. But when a Raider pulls up and away, you'll be wondering why HD can't keep up in the market.
RIDE IT OFF THE LOT AND LOSE $3,000, YOU'LL WONDER WHY YAMAHA MAKES BETTER MICROPHONES THAN MOTORCYCLES.

pesticidal
03-10-2008, 11:17
RIDE IT OFF THE LOT AND LOSE $3,000, YOU'LL WONDER WHY YAMAHA MAKES BETTER MICROPHONES THAN MOTORCYCLES.

Hope you got that yelling out of your system. Feel better now?

KYGlock23
03-10-2008, 11:31
As someone very familiar with the Star Motorcycle line - I would like to add my 2 cents. My bike has over 50k on it with not one problem. I have many friends with the Star line of bikes and they all have had the same experience as me.

Mike

White Buffalo
03-10-2008, 12:45
Hope you got that yelling out of your system. Feel better now?

Caps lock mistake, I always forget how touchy yups get at that... I'll watch it better next time for ya!

White Buffalo
03-10-2008, 12:48
As someone very familiar with the Star Motorcycle line - I would like to add my 2 cents. My bike has over 50k on it with not one problem. I have many friends with the Star line of bikes and they all have had the same experience as me.

Mike

Awsome, good to hear that the SVS and tranny recal didn't affect yours, or your many friends, bike like it has affected my buddy who has to work on them for a living... Hope you get many miles of enjoyment out of it.

BTW, is that the silverado model? I test rode one awhile back, came close to getting it. Nice bike.

KYGlock23
03-10-2008, 14:33
Well, I did have the issue with the Tranny recall (although it caused my bike no problems). Tough to blame that one on Yamaha though since it was a part from a manufacturer (circlip). My bike is a regular Roadstar that has been upgraded with bags from a Yamaha Venture and then painted. There have been a few bikes with the SVS problem on the Roadstar forum but not that many considering the number of members on that forum. They really are a nice bike and I would not hesitate to buy another one.....

White Buffalo
03-10-2008, 14:55
Well, I did have the issue with the Tranny recall (although it caused my bike no problems). Tough to blame that one on Yamaha though since it was a part from a manufacturer (circlip). My bike is a regular Roadstar that has been upgraded with bags from a Yamaha Venture and then painted. There have been a few bikes with the SVS problem on the Roadstar forum but not that many considering the number of members on that forum. They really are a nice bike and I would not hesitate to buy another one.....
good deal.... My buddy has about one in his shop about once a week, have no idea how that translates across the masses

KYGlock23
03-10-2008, 15:22
I wonder if those that are having issues are following the new guidelines from Yamaha in regards to oil. Yamaha is recommending no more than 4 qts now. Most of the model years that I have seen affected are the 04 - 05 ones when there is a problem.

Mike

White Buffalo
03-10-2008, 20:39
I wonder if those that are having issues are following the new guidelines from Yamaha in regards to oil. Yamaha is recommending no more than 4 qts now. Most of the model years that I have seen affected are the 04 - 05 ones when there is a problem.

MikeCould be, but he said that is pretty much common knowledge now... he has also said they generally need valve adjustements every 13-17k, not the rule but more like the norm... glad your tranny wasn't effected the way it had been for others... there was a totaled bike in there that had tranny lock at 85... almost killed the rider.

Halojumper
03-10-2008, 20:48
RIDE IT OFF THE LOT AND LOSE $3,000, .

So what. That's the same for all new vehicles, not just bikes, and people buy new vehicles all the time.

White Buffalo
03-10-2008, 22:03
So what. That's the same for all new vehicles, not just bikes, and people buy new vehicles all the time.

I don't. I bought into equity. I always do.

silveraider
06-08-2011, 06:41
Lifter issue was in the early 2009 models. Mine was not affected. Yamaha replaced lifters under warranty on any that issue. 2010 and newer have no such issues. Hard to argue with 1854cc in a twin. and its a single pin crank with pushrods... so i dont know if you want to call it new age tech either. kind of classic set up.

There is no debate the "cool" factor of HD. but power numbers and handling are not matching the metrics for the most part.
I think the resale value of HD reflects the "lifestyle" marketing that bumps msrp on the same bikes. High initial cost usually equals high resale value. not always but usually.

If I were to buy a US made bike it would be a victory. The new kingpin is great.

Mine...

http://www.roadstarraider.com/gallery/1141_04_04_10_8_55_23.jpeg

pesticidal
06-08-2011, 06:50
Lazarus thread!