Corvette convertible from 1961 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Corvette convertible from 1961

Charly
02-11-2008, 07:53
I have been looking at this Corvette convertible from 1961.

Could somebody give me a reasonable price idea for it ?
It is in perfect condition. Could run in contests.

BManoftheyear
02-15-2008, 23:14
$100,000

JadeRaven
02-16-2008, 01:48
You really need more info on the car. Just a couple different options on a car like this can change the price by ten grand, easy.

Go check out corvetteforum.com, or perhaps NCRS.org. Also go to some of your local car shows, corvette club meets, and the like if there is anything nearby. Most all of the people are very friendly and would love to give a guy some pointers when looking for a car. Just try to find the guy with the nicest car for advice ;)

There are many folks out there that think because one 1957 283 cubic inch 283 horsepower fuelie sold for $110,000 that theirs ought to be worth at least 90, when in fact it's only worth no more than about 55k. It sounds silly but it's true. So it's best to really do your homework before you go buying a car.

But when you finally get one you'll love it :)

Clem Eastwood
02-16-2008, 18:54
See what theyve been going for at Barrett Jackson then figure you can get it for about 1/2 that.

Javelin
02-16-2008, 19:03
Its all about the numbers on those vintage vettes. If they match its like hitting tripple 7s on a slot machine. If they don't, well... its not worth even 1/2 what it would if they did.

That is the last year of quad fixed headlights. A beutiful vehicle.

:)

bac1023
02-16-2008, 23:28
That does look great.

Gary G23
02-17-2008, 08:21
Its all about the numbers on those vintage vettes. If they match its like hitting tripple 7s on a slot machine. If they don't, well... its not worth even 1/2 what it would if they did.

That is the last year of quad fixed headlights. A beutiful vehicle.

:)
Actually 1962 is the last year of quad fixed headlights.

Washington,D.C.
02-25-2008, 01:14
There are copies of Corvettes those years. I for get where the VIN number is located but I remember a guy selling Corvette parts sold old frames and bodies without any paperwork. There are also exact copies available. I've been to some American car shows in Antwerp and the cars would have a mix of parts. The 1961 Corvette was a good year though. I like that model.

Tri-five
03-10-2008, 20:52
I have been looking at this Corvette convertible from 1961.

Could somebody give me a reasonable price idea for it ?
It is in perfect condition. Could run in contests.
:fred: I may be getting senile, but that grill looks like a '60.
Regardless of the year, you are gonna need a lot of ink in your check writin' pen. That is a fine lookin' car

Lone Wolff
03-10-2008, 21:28

+1

Here's what a '61 vette grill should be if original:

http://www.motorera.com/corvette/1960/1961/61red2.jpg

Charly
03-11-2008, 02:44
asking price is 59.000 € (~ 90.000 $ on today's rate ) which seems a lot overpriced to me.

vetteman
04-03-2008, 21:32
Any of the early corvettes in mint condition are desirable, you can't go wrong with 1953-1972 in my opinion. Find out what it has for options and how original everything is. Find out if it has been fully restored from the frame up in the original colors. Find out who did the restoration work and contact them to see if they can tell you anything about the car. To have the most value it should be in equal to or better condition than when it came off the production line and the numbers need to match. NCRS certification would be a plus for a car like this, find out if it is certified. Check the below links for some info on the year and some asking prices for 61 and 62 vettes at Pro Team Corvette who sells a lot of nice vintage vettes. You see that values range from $50,000 to $200,000+ depending on what it is.

http://corvetteactioncenter.com/specs/c1/1961/61prod.html

http://proteamcorvette.com/1962.html

vetteman
04-03-2008, 21:50
Regardless of the year, you are gonna need a lot of ink in your check writin' pen. That is a fine lookin' car

agree: That looks like a 1960 front bumper.

Washington,D.C.
04-04-2008, 11:01

Charly is in Belgium. Many older American cars in Europe have mixed year parts. Another thing is the way model year is registered in some countries doesn't always match the original model year in America. I know people in America sell Corvette bodies and frames from older models separately. I forget when they started putting VIN numbers on those parts but not all older American cars have VIN numbers on those parts. Really old cars only have the VIN number on the engine and later started adding VIN numbers to either the frame ofr the body but not always both. Shipping cars to Europe a lot of those VIN number plates get switched. But I bet 1961 is the registered model year of the car even if it is a 1960 model. I have seen it more common the other way. If the car arrived in Europe before 1st Jan it's registered as the previous year. It might just be a late production 1960 that got registered as a 1961 or it may have some shady history.

Charly
04-07-2008, 01:21
60 or 61, for the moment the owner is not replying to my calls so I am sort of letting it go.

I was realy thrilled by the looks of this car, too bad !