How do you cook your CARP? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : How do you cook your CARP?

PACKIN' PLASTIC
05-30-2002, 14:37
I have only pickled them, but I have some in the freezer to try other methods:)

PP

method
05-30-2002, 17:40
I've never done it, but I've heard of them smoked whole and sliced like a loaf of bread. Same guy also talked of charcoal grilling, letting the fat drip through.

Blasko
05-30-2002, 22:10
Someone actually blew up a carp in the lab microwave here at work. The innards hanging from the top surface was pretty bad but the smell was truly awful. The oven was retired....

sooner pete
05-30-2002, 23:21
I dont eat them,but alot of people pressure cook them.

scoop
05-31-2002, 00:48
only folks i know that would eat carp are poor folks!

flyboy5432H
05-31-2002, 02:03
take one carp, whole but gutted

season to taste with salt and pepper

place on a pine board for cooking

place in oven at 400 degrees for a half hour

remove carp and board

discard carp

eat pine board

;f ;a ;f

in all honesty, i've had carp, and it's not bad when it comes from a clean waterway, cook it like you would any other stronger tasting fish...

RSAglocker
05-31-2002, 03:02
;i

I'd rather starve than eat a carp!

mhambi
05-31-2002, 03:49
Originally posted by flyboy5432H
i've had carp, and it's not bad when it comes from a clean waterway, cook it like you would any other stronger tasting fish...

That's the kicker. Dip in egg then a mixture of fine cornmeal, s&p, basil, and pan fry. Carp from around here aren't very good.

mpol777
05-31-2002, 04:03
when i was a kid my old man and i used to snag carp at a place called "hot waters" in the winter. the factory nearby released it's cooling water into the lake so it wouldn't freeze. there was a guy there who would buy the carp and shad off us for $.50 a piece. he made soup out of them by putting them through a meat grinder into a 5 gallon bucket. he said it was really good, but i don't usually take the word of a man with one tooth.

we cut one of the shad open once and the contents of it's stomach was this black tar-like substance.

so i guess you could try the soup ;f

PACKIN' PLASTIC
05-31-2002, 04:42
For you carp-bashers,

I have tried common carp and grass carp, grass carp are a bit better. Both are very good when pickled, pike or walleye wouldn't be any better.

My only problem is they are a PITA to clean.

I guess I'll try method's methods;f

PP

ewert
05-31-2002, 05:05
I personally have not cooked carp, but when I was younger we used to fish the Mississippi river for them. We could sell the 5 - 10 pounders for up to $5 to the Hmongs that were fishing there with us. It was pretty much a good time had by all. They are fun to catch, but I wouldn't eat one...at least out of the Mississippi.

badbilly429
05-31-2002, 08:52
pp

you ever tried smoking carp ?

its pretty damn good!

PACKIN' PLASTIC
05-31-2002, 09:00
No, I've only pickled it.

I've never even smoked salmon:(

I gotta get a smoker:cool:

PP

mhambi
05-31-2002, 09:03
I remember the episode on Beverly Hillbillies when Jethros hippie friends were trying to smoke some crawdads...

Smoked salmon is delicious.

sooner pete
05-31-2002, 23:12
P.P.if you think carp and walleye are the same on the taste meter,then you have ate way to much pickled carp.

TJC
05-31-2002, 23:33
Even us NJ people wouldn't eat a Carp. We cut them into little pieces and use them for bait for the catfish.

Can't think of anything else to do with them. ;e

cannoncocker
06-01-2002, 02:55
Ive steamed them raked the meat off the bone with a fork alot of bones!Deep fried the meat and made a spicy thai salad with it.Its Called padook(catfish) foo but we used carp instead of catfish excellent.
;c whith this ofcourse:cool:

bustedknee
06-01-2002, 06:11
My Granddad's farm was on the New River in Virginia. When someone caught a large carp they would put it in the spring creek which flowed under the footbridge then into Pine Run. The outlet of the spring creek was blocked with large rocks which let the water through but not the carp.
Every day my Uncle would drop a handful of corn into the clear water of spring creek for the fish.
A week or two of that and the meat was a clean as any I've ever seen.
Grandma then boned and cooked the carp.
MMmmmm Mmmmmmm. Love those fishcakes.;9

Dadburn
06-01-2002, 14:04
If You want to eat Carp go right ahead.I don't know hqw to cook them cause I don't eat them.We don't eat gars,jacks,racoon perch and any other trash fish.

PACKIN' PLASTIC
06-01-2002, 16:52
Originally posted by sooner pete
P.P.if you think carp and walleye are the same on the taste meter,then you have ate way to much pickled carp.

You have not tried my pickled carp, and have no right to bash it.

Originally posted by Dadburn
If You want to eat Carp go right ahead.I don't know hqw to cook them cause I don't eat them.We don't eat gars,jacks,racoon perch and any other trash fish.

WTF?

Perch a trash fish?

PP

SkippyThe
06-02-2002, 02:17
I don't know about carp but I one of my Dad's friends would make a really good jerkey out of perch. Maybe you could try that. ST

Dadburn
06-02-2002, 08:09
Packin Plastic
The raccon perch I'm talking about ius nothing but a trash fish,I'm not even sure it's really a perch.Most types of perch are good eating so I'm not generalizing all perch.Easy there Cochise.

Sixgun357
06-03-2002, 13:45
I aske my Grandfather how he would cook carp and this is what he told me. You cook it in Horse ****, then you throw the fish away and eat the ****.

Quake Guy
06-03-2002, 15:05
Its a delicacy in Asia, of course they also eat chicken feet too, so you have been warned...

DavidG19
06-05-2002, 14:21
Enough teriyaki sauce would even make a dog turd taste good.

JGO
06-05-2002, 15:18
Originally posted by badbilly429
pp

I think I did once back in the 70's.:)

ubimow
06-05-2002, 15:36
Originally posted by mpol777
when i was a kid my old man and i used to snag carp at a place called "hot waters" in the winter. the factory nearby released it's cooling water into the lake so it wouldn't freeze. there was a guy there who would buy the carp and shad off us for $.50 a piece. he made soup out of them by putting them through a meat grinder into a 5 gallon bucket. he said it was really good, but i don't usually take the word of a man with one tooth.

we cut one of the shad open once and the contents of it's stomach was this black tar-like substance.

The only thing I can say to that is:;g ;g ;g ;g

DWavs
06-11-2002, 13:18
Originally posted by Sixgun357
I aske my Grandfather how he would cook carp and this is what he told me. You cook it in Horse ****, then you throw the fish away and eat the ****.

Your grandfather is a wise man.

mikescooling
06-12-2002, 08:02
Originally posted by badbilly429
pp

its pretty damn good!

How do you get them in the rolling papers?
Are they hard to light?

This is a stand by fish recipe.

get this, flower and water are u wit me mix with a spoon leaving bumps! this should have pan cake batter constancy just thicker than coating a spoon. I like salt and pepper high bulk garlic and other savory spices you choose only season fish not flower or water you're keeping the spices form burning under the batter by only seasoning fish. drop fish in oil make the fish floats so have at least 2 inches of oil. 375 to 400 F
1 mix water flower
2 spice fish common sense ,,not a lot
3 fry floating in oil
I have don over a hundred pounds doing this, everybody went nuts
did I say i was don huh did I!!!
you need white sous witch is= Mao and sweet relish
red saus= ketchup, Tabasco, ginger, horseradish
also beer seems to go well with this.
be good mikeb

Sulaco
07-02-2002, 21:55
I would rather eat dirt than a carp.

rogerdodger
07-06-2002, 09:48
Originally posted by mpol777

DUDE, That sounds like what i put in my CHUMPOT
here on Long Island 99% of the fish u eat is saltwater species like Seabass,Striped Bass, Flounder, Blackfish, Fluke etc. Unless u order trout or salmon in a restaurant.I heard carp was just a giant goldfish, thats nasty. As far as it being as good as Pike or walleye i doubt it. When i was in Wisconsin i went to fish fry that was AWESOME