Is joining the military a "calling"? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Is joining the military a "calling"?

tacticaldawg
02-14-2008, 13:45
Talked to my buddy who went to Navy, said he felt "the calling", and signed up. On the other hand, I had an Army buddy said it's just something to do after high school, so he joined. So is it really a calling or not?

MrMurphy
02-14-2008, 14:19
For some people it is, for others, it's a job. You can usually tell the difference.

ArodJohns
02-14-2008, 14:44
I'm not a soldier (I got refused when I tried to enlist.....in all of the branches), but for me it is. Every day I wake up and think something to the effect of "I wish I was over there" or "I wish I were putting on a uniform today".

I can't even really explain why, it's just something that's at the very center of who I am.

Thank You. To all of the veterans, past and present. Thank you all.

USMC1369
02-14-2008, 15:33
Not in my opinion. It's a Commitment.

:usmc:

Marine8541
02-14-2008, 17:21
It wasn't a calling for me either. I went in because my family had a history of service and unlike my older brothers I simply wasn't cut out for college. I did find however that the Marines was a good fit for me. I liked the people, the way of life and the culture. I gave the USMC 20+ and they gave me basck exactly what I earned. There are two very different types in the service. Those who have seen combat and those who haven't. If you really want to know what Vets are all about drop by your local VFW in the morning to have a few cups of coffee and shoot the bull about what ever comes up. We'd love to have you and you'd be surprised how many of us don't fit the sterotype.

I like what 1369 said. For me it was more of a committment than calling.

kry226
02-15-2008, 12:19
I think its a calling that comes in many different forms. Commitment, nothing else to do, etc. For me, it was a pure, unadulterated Calling from God. I was in college and suddenly couldn't sleep at night because I was thinking about joining the Army so much. After about a month of two hours of sleep per night, I got the hint. I went saw the recruiter and quit school at the end of that semester. 13 years and eight ranks later, I still love what I do and cannot imagine doing anything else...except maybe retiring, buying a ranch, building a wall around it, stockpiling guns and ammo, and waiting for the Revolution.

xxiv
02-23-2008, 18:16
My Dad was in the British Parachute Regiment, as a pathfinder/recce Para.

I felt the need to follow in his footsteps and become a Paratrooper, so I did.

AF-Odin
02-24-2008, 12:43
You will find all sorts of reasons that people join. Some can't find anything better to do or are looking to learn a trade/skill or earn money for college. Some are there for the bonus money--you dangle $20+k bonus money in front of a kid working at McDonalds with no health insurance and a wife and baby! Some feel the need to serve for whatever period of time. It boils down to what is it to YOU personally. For me it was a calling. I put on a uniform at 18 years old and served on active duty till I was 51. I am still working in direct support of soldiers and will continue to do so as long as I am not totally retired and even then, will still feel a dedication to the military and consider myself a military professional until I am laid to rest in the local Veterans Cemetary with my comrades who all served honorably for whatever reason. I once equated a true military professional with the priesthood, it can be a life-long calling. This is not to denigrate those good soldiers who did their 2, 3, 4 years or even 20 or 30, but still believe it to be a job. They were good soldiers too, they just had a different attitude about service to the country.

kickstand
02-24-2008, 19:31
I've been set on law enforcement for a while, so one of the reasons I joined up was to get training/experience for a career in LE, or if I decide to, I can stay in for a full career in the Army. Or a transfer to federal LE would keep me earning points in the federal system.

I've always wanted to do something that gave me a sense of making a difference. I was initially biology/pre-med in college, but realized I wasn't that excited about that kind of science, and went the criminal justice/LE route.

The bonus and college money wasn't a big reason I joined, but it's such a perk! I went to talk to a recruiter having no idea I would get compensated like that right off the bat. Even in the Reserves I got a $20,000 bonus, and I get plenty to pay the bills and more just for staying in school like I planned on anyway. But now I get the experience and pride of being in the military.

I'm only signed at this point, I don't leave for basic/AIT until the middle of May. I'm really excited about it.

Glolt20-91
03-18-2008, 04:12
I enlisted in the Navy to serve our country, never was a fleet sailor and wore fatigues most of the enlistment. In true swabby fashion, we set an adjacent hill on fire at Camp Pendleton during a night fire practice. :supergrin:

I don't have the words to describe the feelings of pride, honor and humility to have served with a great group of guys in Vietnam. Every night was like watching intense lightening in a thunderstorm; sometimes Coast Guard cutters would do some effective I&I fire with their five inch guns.

Came home, went into law enforcement and later joined a National Guard unit and received some specialized training.

For me every generation of our family has served in the military since the Revolutionary War, so it was natural for me to enlist out of high school. My father was 101st Airborne in WWII and he and some of his buddies gave me a crash course in 'military science'. :)

Kry226, bought a ranch and it's a dream come true, all kinds of wild critters, animals too. :cool:

Bob :cowboy:

md2lgyk
03-19-2008, 10:07
Talked to my buddy who went to Navy, said he felt "the calling", and signed up. On the other hand, I had an Army buddy said it's just something to do after high school, so he joined. So is it really a calling or not?

It was for me, sorta. I had pretty much decided to join the Navy when the draft board "came calling." Ended up retiring with 24 years.

g.c54
04-05-2008, 01:03
A few days into basic training you will be able to easly tell who felt the calling, and who is just there for somthing to do after highschool

NoBody Glock
04-05-2008, 04:55
I felt the "calling" 22 years ago and am still serving. I've moved my family seven times, been deployed 36 times, and have fought in four combat "actions." I wouldn't put my life on-the-line or do this to my family for a "job" or just a paycheck.

You do it because you love our country and want to protect/defend our Constitution. God Bless America.

Marine8541
04-10-2008, 11:05
A few days into basic training you will be able to easly tell who felt the calling, and who is just there for somthing to do after highschool

In 20+ years I saw just as many “true believers” peter out at boot and in the Fleet as anyone else. I had to option out some of the most gung ho guys there were because they simply didn’t have what it takes. Where someone gets their motivation isn’t nearly as important as having motivation.

nexlegio
04-21-2008, 20:25
For me, I believe it is a calling. Since I was young I have felt the calling. with this in mind, next year I will be enrolled in a 4-year ROTC program at UF and after college, I will be an officer in the Army.

the iceman
04-30-2008, 20:19
I really thought it was a calling but after 6 years I felt like the call was gone and it was time to pursue the next step in life.

No regrets though, no regrets!

Beware Owner
04-30-2008, 20:22
Yep, every time a sick killer screams, "Jihad!", he's begging for you to button up, ship out, and bust his kneecaps with a small caliber shotgun. He's calling you from the bottom of his soul for you to come and put him out of his misery.

11P&Y
05-01-2008, 05:17
It is a calling if you answer the phone when the recruiter gives you a call. I joined because it was something i always wanted to do. Not a calling, but just something i could tell my grandkids i did.

Oh and the money is not worth it when your getting shot at or huddled down in a bunker during Iraqi mortar fire practice on your FOB. I have been shot at many times and had the pleasure of firing back. In 2005 a Mortar took out the living trailer two away from mine and it killed a few people, including a kid in a trailer next to mine. I can tell you first hand, my 18,000 dollar signing bonus is not worth the risk but i am here and having fun sometimes doing some stuff that nobody in the States will EVER be able to say they did......legally.

That said, i am not a staunch hater of the Army, but it is not for everyone, you got to have something wrong with you to love this stuff over here. I love it, but miss my family.

11P&Y
05-01-2008, 05:27
HEY ICEMAN... How did you get the NATO Metal??

bluegrassboy
05-01-2008, 14:00
At first for me it was a Job and definitely a commitment...but over time it sure does grow on you, I've got 18 years so far and I'll likely stay longer than 20 before I retire........might say it gets in your blood.......

Now it's easy for me..I'm single with no Children....I don't see how folks with young families do it these days with all the deployments....many of my best friends have been through divorce.....

for the last poster....My NATO Medal came from Bosnia...

AH-1
05-22-2008, 07:42
for me it was a calling.even when I was just a kid I knew I wanted to be in the army.I walked into the recruiters office gave them my green card and joined up to work on cobra's.20+ later retired:supergrin:.I did another 9 years working for a defence contractor until VA retired me.wouldn't change a thing.
pete
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/txpete/15141txpetecobra.jpg

bennwj
06-01-2008, 07:47

My family has had somebody in military service since 1918...except from 1936-1939.

I was bored with college and wanted to be a paratrooper like my Dad was in WWII.

I actually never envisioned staying in for 22 years, but fell in love with the lifestyle and I guess I got addicted to the excitement.

It is a commitment. There is no way to be happy and successful if you treat the military like it's just a job. It is a lifestyle that occupies every aspect of your life and that of your family. Moving, deployments, combat, getting wounded, EDRE's in the middle of the night, picking up Soldiers from the M.P. station at 3AM, your wife visiting wounded Soldiers in the hospital while you are still deployed, families of wounded Soldiers staying at your house. You don't do those things working for IBM or Ford.

I think some good inter-service rivalry is good, but at the end of the day we are all working for the same goal and each of the Services do their job extremely well.

Dean
06-01-2008, 08:06
Sure the service is a calling. To ship out, to test yourself against other men at arms, to learn a military skill set. Absolutely it's a calling. That the military is open to so many Americans is a strength of our democracy.

BADSBSNF81
06-05-2008, 15:39
John 15:13.

I did a little over 27 years. If I hadn't been commissioned, I would have been a LEO.

machinisttx
06-13-2008, 21:55
I believe it is a calling. I started to enlist right after high school, but for the wrong reasons. My parents stopped me then.

I've been hearing it for a little over a year now--thinking I had to be absolutely crazy and it would just go away. I finally admitted to myself a few weeks ago that it wasn't going to go away. The only thing that's holding me up right now is that I'm out of shape(working on fixing that) and my wife is...opposed to the idea. I feel something driving me to it......

If I go, it will be USMC. Hopefully if I do, I'll be able to at least keep up. I'm 26 now FWIW.

MrMurphy
06-13-2008, 22:52
I came in at 27, with a fiancee (now wife) who supported me fully, despite some very trying times. You can do it. Exercise without going crazy about it and diet. Expect everything and anything to go wrong as a daily occurence. Get used to having no choice in your life. :)

Despite wiping out my knees on the job.. i don't regret any of it.

RONSTAR
06-29-2008, 23:11
I believe its the only way to pay your respect to the men who originally fought to make this a free country and for those men that fought without a choice. I believe its every able mans duty to serve his country JMHO

deadday
06-30-2008, 01:00
Growing up, I always told myself that were America to go to war in my lifetime, I would answer the call. So, I guess for me, it was a calling, but conditional..

drew

rangerruck
07-15-2008, 01:32
Yes, there are all types of reasons for joining, even getting out of going to the pokey. Also it is a calling, and I am talking Biblically speaking here. Clearly it states in the Bible, in several places , about military service. I cannot remember the exact chapter and verse, but there are those who are 'called to be watchmen on the wall'. this is a term, when studied in the origional Hebrew, that there will be professional soldiers, who will guard Israel, from not just it's borders, but on the walls of jerusalem itself. Also the watchmen are not jewish, they are from another country. I believe that the American military literally fulfills this prophecy, right now, from the rebirth of their country now 60 years ago.
There is another scripture in the Old Testament, that goes something like,(God talking) " Be sure you do not harm any of my soldiers, who are called by my Name, because they carry with them the sword of the Spirit of Truth." Since the beginning of our country, Our military, and everywhere they have been sent, have been the largest group of evangelists, and messengers of the Gospel, that the world has ever seen, beginning with our own Revolutionary War. South Korea is a massively Christian country now, and Japan, were turned largely into a Christian country by the preaching of one man, a man who was a part of Doolittle's Raiders, and was captured , and held prisoner there for a long time. He at first hated the Japanese for what they did to him. But after he got home, God called him back there , to preach, and he stayed there , until he died, I think just about 5 or 7 years ago.
So yes, for some , the military is definitely a calling, and a holy one at that.

CPT_CRUNCH
07-28-2008, 17:32
to me it was a committment. i never dreamt about being in the military probably b/c my family was against that kinda stuff. i decided in college i was going to be an officer, and joined rotc. soon i saw the military fit my personality totally. however, after 9-11 i was totally committed. i commissioned into the airforce and later deployed w/ the army. the air force downsized its officers so i switched to the army to continue my service. 6 years later and 2 trips to iraq i'm remain committed to this life.
also in my opinion every capable RED BLOODED AMERICAN male SHOULD SERVE at least 2 years. I feel if more people knew the sacrifice we make they'd appreciate their freedoms more and instill that pride in they're children.

akhunter3
07-28-2008, 18:40
It is for me. I've wanted to be in the Military since I was a little kid. Decided my freshman year of high school that I wanted to be an officer. Junior year I decided I wanted to go Marine Corps.

This year I start my freshman year of college....only 4 years left to go and Lord willing I willl be an active duty Marine :supergrin:

Jon