Are SP berets optional now? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Are SP berets optional now?

Herknav
02-15-2008, 05:37
I ask out of curiosity, as the SPs at Quagmire seem to be about 50/50 organizational ball caps vs berets.

Thanks,
Herk

MrMurphy
02-15-2008, 07:10
Those, if they're wearing SFS ball caps, are presumably augmentees. We still wear berets all the time except deployed or in the field, our augmentees wear the basic BDU cap or a SFS ballcap.

meeko
02-15-2008, 14:58
Years ago (1987) when SAC was the king we wore berets from OCT-APR and ball caps APR-OCT. The Arkansas heat in the summer was way too hot for a beret. They might look all neat but they are very impractical and overrated in the heat or sun!!

MrMurphy
02-15-2008, 15:39
I agree. One of our flight commanders (now a Captain, previously a SSgt) told me about how his old squadron in CA had done the same. I find them too hot in summertime and don't block the sun, and in the winter only keep 1/3 of your head warm. They look good but are a fairly useless form of headgear. :)

Herknav
02-15-2008, 19:47
Thanks for clearing that up. FYI--They are SPS hats. I figured either piece of headgear was equally useless for protection from the elements, though.

MrMurphy
02-16-2008, 05:06
If I had it my way we'd all be wearing patrol caps with subdued SFS flashes. We don't need to be "identified readily"... it's an AF base. If a guy with a rifle and a tac vest is yelling commands at you, 99% likely he's a cop...... and they know that.

packinheavy
02-16-2008, 14:50
If I had it my way we'd all be wearing patrol caps with subdued SFS flashes.

Now that is a good idea. That means it will never happen though.

MrMurphy
02-16-2008, 15:26
The flashes were made, because some got "out" and I bought a pair at the Lackland clothing sales store. The idea stalled at the time, it does need to be brought up again.

packinheavy
02-16-2008, 21:07
I have seen some ball caps with subdued flashes on them. Several people in my squadron bought them a few years ago. I have no idea where they got them though.

sfguard
02-18-2008, 17:47
At Scott they are letting the Augees wear Berets. I myself don't agree with it but I am nobody. Guess that is why they didn't ask me :rofl:

Hey, Packinheavy when the weather breaks give me a yell we can go kill some more paper enemies.

packinheavy
02-18-2008, 20:30
At Scott they are letting the Augees wear Berets. I myself don't agree with it but I am nobody. Guess that is why they didn't ask me :rofl:

Hey, Packinheavy when the weather breaks give me a yell we can go kill some more paper enemies.

Will do! I have a few new toys I have put together that need to be tested.

Sluf01
02-18-2008, 21:44
Back in my old SP days (both in TAC and SAC) it was the Base Commander decision for Beret or Ballcap wear.. Usually for home station it was the ballcap for summerwear, and for winter it was that Blue Russian looking "Hat" with the built in earmuff thing, but if we went TDY, it went back to straight beret, but we packed our ballcaps just in case..

MrMurphy
02-18-2008, 23:23
Whoever let augmentees wear berets should be shot.

meeko
02-19-2008, 07:31
I have no clue why SP's ever started wearing berets. Berets should be done away with for SP/SF's head gear. I say that as a 20 year SP member. Berets are less than useul. They just make the 19 year old kid think he is all that and a bag of chips and then try to tell people at home he is. SP's are not an offensive combat unit by trade. I realize we do augment army units time to time but a two week training course here or there does not make you ready. That is something you need to do full time to be really any good at.

ks farmboy
02-22-2008, 09:40
Whoever let augmentees wear berets should be shot.

whoever thought of the idea of augmentees can join them. we have the worst civilian/augmentees that i have ever seen. they wear the uniform now, they sure dont need to wear the beret.

MrMurphy
02-22-2008, 10:18
Our AF augs aren't bad. Never dealt with the DOD/Fed/Civvy ones, I'm in USAFE.

md2lgyk
02-23-2008, 17:17
whoever thought of the idea of augmentees can join them. we have the worst civilian/augmentees that i have ever seen. they wear the uniform now, they sure dont need to wear the beret.

When I was an ANG augmentee right after 9/11, everyone (including the "real" SPs) wore ball caps. Although my AFSC was in maintenance, I am a former civilian LEO so I think I carried my weight. But we did have our share of folks I wouldn't have trusted with real bullets.

ks farmboy
02-25-2008, 13:13
When I was an ANG augmentee right after 9/11, everyone (including the "real" SPs) wore ball caps. Although my AFSC was in maintenance, I am a former civilian LEO so I think I carried my weight. But we did have our share of folks I wouldn't have trusted with real bullets.

after being on base for 3.5 years, my wife and i and two other couples went to the bowling alley on friday night. after being there awhile, the "SP" civilians moved in next to us. after them having a few pitchers between them, still wearing their BDU's, they got into a yelling match with a drunk. no biggy, but they were yelling that they "are cops" and "you better listen to me." i got a huge problem with someone who is "held" to a higher authority than others that wears their uniform to go drink in. HUGE PROBLEM WITH THAT. anywho, another guy came in, and had a ballcap on. i noticed when he walked out, he had stripes on his shirt. first one that i have seen here. so im guessing that it is optional here.

meeko
02-25-2008, 18:18
after being on base for 3.5 years, my wife and i and two other couples went to the bowling alley on friday night. after being there awhile, the "SP" civilians moved in next to us. after them having a few pitchers between them, still wearing their BDU's, they got into a yelling match with a drunk. no biggy, but they were yelling that they "are cops" and "you better listen to me." i got a huge problem with someone who is "held" to a higher authority than others that wears their uniform to go drink in. HUGE PROBLEM WITH THAT. anywho, another guy came in, and had a ballcap on. i noticed when he walked out, he had stripes on his shirt. first one that i have seen here. so im guessing that it is optional here.

It's amazing how they are all brave when they are in numbers, pack mentality! Just think of the BS stories and exagerations those type of meat heads tell at home.

MrMurphy
02-25-2008, 18:29
Our guys sure as hell don't drink in uniform, even after duty hours. Makes me wonder who they were.

I'm all for the subdued flash on a patrol cap, but that'll probably happen right after the Air Force becomes part of the Marine Corps.

ks farmboy
02-25-2008, 19:05
Our guys sure as hell don't drink in uniform, even after duty hours. Makes me wonder who they were.

im that type of guy who doesnt let **** go. i emailed the base cc today to let him know what was going on. hopefully it wont happen again. it puts a black eye on the decent sp's.

Bevo1
02-25-2008, 19:25
I've been out for 11 years this March, but I distinctly remember the smell of the wool beret after it would get wet from the rain, and remember taking it off after sweating in it all day. Nasty.
I think we got to wear a cap while in the WSA, but could be wrong.
I agree with the above poster about an 19 year old kid thinking he's the **** because of the beret.
I was one:rofl:

Stupify
03-12-2008, 22:13
I haven't seen the baseball caps, but I'm getting sick and tired of seeing many of them around here try and get by with wearing black berets. As a 1C4 that I take offense to that.

Morris
03-14-2008, 04:52
Ah yes, I do remember the occasional blueberry trying to get away with a black one. The ROMADs would find out quick enough and the problem would be solved. At least, wheat I remember from my 1C4 days.