View Full Version : Gunsmith in South St L County

Reb 56
02-15-2008, 19:18
Anyone know of good gunsmith in South St Louis or Jefferson county,Mo

Thanks Reb

srothman
07-08-2008, 17:52
Sorry just saw this. Two I can suggest:
1. RedBrick - Paul, I have never had him do any work for me, but I know several who have and are very happy with his work.
2. OttoComp - Otto is very old school. Probably one of the best all around gunsmiths I have ever met. He gets guns in from all over the country to work on. His turn around time is usually a little longer.

GlockRik
07-08-2008, 18:27
Otto is probably one of the top gunsmiths in the country. I have used him several times. PM me if you want his phone. I used redbrick once.

Rik

sonofsarge
09-21-2008, 12:31
+1 on Otto. You won't find a better smith in this part of the country. Drop off your gun at OnTarget on Hwy 141 in Valley Park.

Hi Ball
07-18-2009, 07:19
Reb-56,.......It all is according to what kind of work your are wanting done!

There is a group down in the Festus area who used to work for Browning a few years back and formed their own company. However, they mostly do shotgun work.

45 Carry
07-20-2009, 12:19
Otto does great work. Had new sights, grip safety and hammer put on a 1911 took a month but the pistol looks better that when I bought it. Broke a barrel link and he repaired it free while I waited.

Red Brick is also gtreat. They used to be on Gravois in Sappington years back. They were a premier gun smith.

mister happy
10-15-2009, 13:25
Otto will not do what you don't need. He will do what you need to be a better shooter. Just don't call him "Sir" - he hates that.

MoCop
11-02-2009, 10:09
:rofl:
Ain't that the truth!! I called him sir when I dropped off my commander at his shop. He didn't appreciate it to much:embarassed:

Anyway, Otto is a great gunsmith and a hoot to talk to. He put on a grip safety, dovetailed better sights, rounded the edges and parkerized the entire pistol for a great price. His turnaround was 2 1/2 months. I thought it would be a lot longer wait because when I was there, he had four or five 1911 slides on his bench and other customers waiting to drop their guns off to be worked on (one had a bolt action rifle, the other was dropping off a kimber of some sort).

You won't be sorry dropping off your gun to Otto. He's out in the Affton area.

Mattog22
08-01-2010, 08:41
I may need some work done and have already dealt with nightmares about dealers who say they can do gunsmith work but can't take the buffer spring out of an AR without taking the buttstock off, don't get my started. Anyway, I have heard good things about Otto Comp but I can't seem to find a website or even a phone number anywhere online. Can someone point me in the right direction? It will be nice to have a good gunsmith to go to.

Thanks,

Matt

45 Carry
08-01-2010, 09:19
Otto Matyska
9401 Lavern Place
Afton, MO 63123
314-638-3327

Mattog22
08-01-2010, 09:25
Otto Matyska
9401 Lavern Place
Afton, MO 63123
314-638-3327

Thanks for the quick response. Do you know his hours? If not no biggie, I can call tomorrow.

blackbmw
08-22-2010, 21:31
I had 2 guns done by otto, First wwas a 1911 that needed a new trigger, toook under a month...Second was a rifle that i wanted new sights installed on That took a year. YEP, a honest to god whole year to silver solder a set of sights on a rifle. They are perfect of course, as otto wont allow anything else out of his shop, but come on man, a fricken year to do what could have been done in 2 weeks? None the less, i am very happy about the quality of work done by the czech wonder, i wouldnt hesitate to bring my most beloved gun to him.

ptmccain
03-22-2011, 14:53
I'm looking for a good gunsmith to do some work on my new Springfield Armory 1911 Loaded, and I found this topic.

Just wondering a couple things:

How do you pronounce Otto's last name? I don't feel comfortable calling and saying, simply, "Hey Otto" unless he wants that. I was raised to use Mr. and ... well, how do you pronounce his name?

Also, does he work on Glocks, or only 1911s? Will he throw me out of his ship if I ask him to do some work on my Glock?

Thanks.

45 Carry
03-22-2011, 15:11
I'm not sure of the correct pronociation of Matyska. I know he doesn't like being called SIR.

pnutcar
03-22-2011, 15:33
Interesting... Might have to give him a call to see if he can clean and fix up my dad's 50 yr old mossberg .22 rifle.