KY CCW question [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : KY CCW question

TCKDRVR20
02-16-2008, 16:07
Hey guys, i'm a Kentucky resident considering aquiring a CCW permit, in fact i'm going to take the handgun safety class (6hour + range) thats required prior to applying for the permit as soon as my new holster arrives. Question I have is after the trainging course will I have to take another course to get the permit?

Berretta9
02-16-2008, 17:11
Nope, you take and pass the CCW class. In two weeks or so you get a certificate that says you took and passed ( you'd have to be really lame not to pass ) the class. You take that certificate with some more money to the sheriff of you county and in 30 or so days you get a notice that you can pick it up. Are you near Louisville ?

TCKDRVR20
02-16-2008, 23:07
Great. Nah I'm close to Pikeville but the wife & I frequent Louisville.

Hamrhed
02-23-2008, 01:32
Our class was a work group of about 10 folks who took about a 3-4 hour class (instruction/videos/written test), and then some live fire practice before the target test (must hit 13 of 20 shots from about 7 yards)... Our instructor was excellent, and several of our group qualified w/ Highpoint 9mms- I used a G23 :whistling:

Captain38
02-28-2008, 22:46
ACTUALLY, passing is hitting the silhouette a minimum of ELEVEN (11) times out of twenty (20)! Also, you needn't wait for that new holster as all shooting is done with you beginning at a low ready stand-by position with your handgun already in your hand(s).

TCKDRVR20
03-01-2008, 23:23
I just took my class today and did great, I think I missed one question on the written exam and kept all rounds on target despite using crap ammo (umc 230gr ball). I should have my certificate in 10-14 days. A couple people in the class used hi-points and did fine with them, the others used Glocks and I used my Sig P220.

crabpainter
03-02-2008, 14:18
As I understand it your certificate is good for life. One of my prior posts concerned the wait after submitting paperwork/fee/photo to sheriff's office. Received my card last week. It was a test of patience for me.

Congrats

KYMike
03-02-2008, 23:56
Congrats!

I think I actually waited longer for the certificate than the card, not to say the card was exactly a speed demon either. Hurry up and wait...hurry up and wait.... IME, any timeframe you're given in this process is an overly optimistic best case guess.

Or, as it was put to me, "Just because we say something should take between X and Y weeks, doesn't mean we have ever, or will ever, get it done in that amount of time. You'll get it when you get it...and not a day sooner."

Berretta9
03-03-2008, 08:02
I think the volume of people taking the classes are up. I know I have more students a month than I did 6 months ago. A lot of people are saying that it's something they want to do before the elections. The state still has the same number of people processing the paperwork. Takes a little longer than it used to.

TCKDRVR20
03-03-2008, 23:56
Yeah we had quite a few attend the class, one side of the room was an entire family including a little old granny who shot the hell out of her .38 :) It was a positive experience and everyone had a good time. A gentleman who sat next to me moved here from Texas and couldn't believe how much more lenient Kentucky was in acquiring a CCDW permit. Apparently in Texas if you take your class using a revolver, you can only carry a revolver and vice versa.

Berretta9
03-04-2008, 06:57
thats probably not a bad idea. The shooting component is probably a little too easy. At 7 yards the shots should all be in a small group. They allow anywhere on the target and only 11 out of 20 have to do that.

crabpainter
03-04-2008, 16:57
Hey TCKDRVR20, did you have to demonstrate the ability to disassemble/clean your firearm?

TCKDRVR20
03-06-2008, 00:07
Hey TCKDRVR20, did you have to demonstrate the ability to disassemble/clean your firearm?

Of course, all firearms were inspected prior to the live fire exercise. I too admit that the firing course should be a little more challenging, students should be instructed to use available cover and perhaps move while firing.

KYMike
03-06-2008, 08:47
thats probably not a bad idea. The shooting component is probably a little too easy. At 7 yards the shots should all be in a small group. They allow anywhere on the target and only 11 out of 20 have to do that.

I would tend to agree. I'm all for carry for those that choose to do so, but if people are going to carry in public I don't think it's unreasonable to expect that a shooter could keep all the rounds on a man-sized target at that distance. If that gun clears leather on a crowded street, my question is....where the heck are those other 9 rounds going? Why not expect that a shooter keep all 20 on that huge target? Or 11/20 on a paper-plate sized target? Or 11/20 on the paper plate and the rest can't leave the man-sized target around it?

I may be opening myself up here, but I'd even be in favor of yearly qualifying. For most of us here, it's not an issue....we USE our guns. But how about the folks who get a gun in response to a threat, shoot less than a box of ammo to learn how it works, get a permit, throw the gun a purse, pocket, or briefcase, and never fire it again? You've all been at a public range and seen the people I'm talking about... In most cases I'm not in favor of more strict gun legislation, but I think it's fair to expect people carrying a weapon to maintain some level of proficiency with it.

Now...where's my foil hat?? :scared:

Berretta9
03-06-2008, 09:07
I agree. I seem to remember that both you and your wife got all of your rounds on the paper and in a respectable group.

KYMike
03-06-2008, 10:09
I agree. I seem to remember that both you and your wife got all of your rounds on the paper and in a respectable group.

I think you're right, and that actually proves my point. At the time we took the class, she had only been to a gun range 6 or 8 times (over a couple of years) and some of those she only fired a mag or two. To top it all off, she was extremely nervous about the range portion. Neither of us are expert shots, we don't shoot competitively, and we don't get to the range nearly often enough. If we could both keep all of them on paper, I don't think it's an unreasonable standard.

And for all her worries about not passing it, after we left she said, "Shouldn't that have been harder?" :rofl: That's my girl!

Famas1
04-08-2008, 19:51
I am having a hard time finding a CCW class here in Pike County.
I am ready to travel to any other county in Kentucky to pass my CCW.
Does anyone of you know of classes locations and maybe schedules in KY?
Thanx

Berretta9
04-08-2008, 20:00
I sent you a P/M. If you want to drive to Louisville it's no problem.

Famas1
04-08-2008, 20:35
I sent you a P/M. If you want to drive to Louisville it's no problem.

Thanks, I will be calling you.

crabpainter
04-09-2008, 04:53
Buds here in Paris usually offers CCW classes on Sundays. It's a one day course and Bud's son does (or did) the training.

B+Shooter
04-09-2008, 08:52
I may be opening myself up here, but I'd even be in favor of yearly qualifying. For most of us here, it's not an issue....we USE our guns. But how about the folks who get a gun in response to a threat, shoot less than a box of ammo to learn how it works, get a permit, throw the gun a purse, pocket, or briefcase, and never fire it again? You've all been at a public range and seen the people I'm talking about... In most cases I'm not in favor of more strict gun legislation, but I think it's fair to expect people carrying a weapon to maintain some level of proficiency with it.

Now...where's my foil hat?? :scared:

I used to work for an armored car company that was supposed to qualify annually. Many employees had never fired their weapons before, even to be hired. Scary.
The logistics would be horrible, but I wouldn't mind at least demonstrating proficiency every time renewing the permit, or more frequently. You could just have certified instructors or range managers be able to add you to some sort of monthly roster that you shot a target in front of them for proficiency.
I believe that the costs to upkeep the CCDW program would skyrocket if that happened.

KYGlock23
04-09-2008, 10:29
You will wait on getting your stuff back from the state - I took my class on 3/15/08 and still have not yet received my certification back. My instructor stated that he talked to the person that handles them for the state and that there is only 1 person handling them right now and that she receives 30-60 packets a day!

EKUJustice
04-09-2008, 11:47
While the shooting part of the course is on the easy side,I don't see the need to really increase the dificulty of it. In KY no permit, skills test, knowledge of the law is required to carry a gun in public and use that gun in public, only to conceal the gun. Anyone can go to the gun store buy a gun, holster and a box of ammo and load up in the parking lot and walk around with the gun in the open and have never fired a shot, or have a clue about the law and be perfectly legal in carrying it as long as it isn't concealed.

The class is basicaly designed for someone who has never used a gun before. It covers more of the safety and legalities than it does actual shooting. Is it a good idea to practice more, seek more instruction if need be etc, yes but should it be required no. If they started doing requalifications every 6 months or a year it would create a nightmare trying to get everyone recertified.

spork
04-09-2008, 12:03
As opposed to adding even more requirements, our concealed carry law should be more like Vermont or Alaska's concealed carry laws (no permit required).

EKUJustice
04-09-2008, 18:09
I would reather have the requirements and actually have a permit as opposed to vermont style with no permit. If you only stay in the state its fine but if you ever travel you have no permit so no reporprocity

spork
04-09-2008, 19:50
I would reather have the requirements and actually have a permit as opposed to vermont style with no permit. If you only stay in the state its fine but if you ever travel you have no permit so no reporprocity

Very, very good point.

Leigh
04-10-2008, 12:56
Our class was a work group of about 10 folks who took about a 3-4 hour class (instruction/videos/written test), and then some live fire practice before the target test (must hit 13 of 20 shots from about 7 yards)... Our instructor was excellent, and several of our group qualified w/ Highpoint 9mms- I used a G23 :whistling:

A 3-4 hour class?
You are joking, I hope.

If true and happened in Kentucky, your KYCDWL could become null & void and you could be charged with a misdemeanor for failure to report insufficent training. Your instructor is a complete moron and can (and SHOULD) be charged with a felony for teaching 3-4 hours of a state mandated 6-hour (classroom portion) course.

Your so-called instructor was far from "excellent" and a prime example of why the Compliance Branch (KYDOCJT) scrutinizes the LEGITIMATE instructors in the state.

EKUJustice
04-11-2008, 11:41
Ya 6 class room hours is the minimum for the class to be taught in per the state. With about 2 hrs of videos, he must have flown through everything else to get it done in that time.

costanza187
04-11-2008, 18:19
I am not entirely sure of the hours on mine, but I know it was an all day thing... quite informative, pretty fun (except for those gosh awful videos). :rofl:

EKUJustice
04-11-2008, 19:56
Did you have the old video with the bow tie guy or the new ones which are just as bad. It would be nice if they allowed a little more flexability in the course without it being basically right out of the book as much. There are some ways to make it fun though like on the holster section get the biggest, most redneck looking guy in the room to show the use of the purse holster for for the group.

Razoreye
04-13-2008, 12:10
I wouldn't. ;)

Razoreye
04-13-2008, 12:10
A 3-4 hour class?
You are joking, I hope.

If true and happened in Kentucky, your KYCDWL could become null & void and you could be charged with a misdemeanor for failure to report insufficent training. Your instructor is a complete moron and can (and SHOULD) be charged with a felony for teaching 3-4 hours of a state mandated 6-hour (classroom portion) course.

Your so-called instructor was far from "excellent" and a prime example of why the Compliance Branch (KYDOCJT) scrutinizes the LEGITIMATE instructors in the state.
Felony? Hmm, idiots abound I guess.

Bren
04-13-2008, 19:33
Of course, all firearms were inspected prior to the live fire exercise. I too admit that the firing course should be a little more challenging, students should be instructed to use available cover and perhaps move while firing.

The course isn't supposed to be tactical training, it is supposed to make sure you are exposed to the law on use of force and can safely fire a gun. Whether you know how to use cover and move, or whether you win or lose a gunfight, is entirely your concern and has nothing to do with issuing a permit.

Bren
04-13-2008, 19:34

I'd rather have no permit required anywhere, but the next best is Alaska style with no permit in state and a permit issued if you want it, just for out of state use.

TCKDRVR20
04-23-2008, 00:34
The course isn't supposed to be tactical training, it is supposed to make sure you are exposed to the law on use of force and can safely fire a gun. Whether you know how to use cover and move, or whether you win or lose a gunfight, is entirely your concern and has nothing to do with issuing a permit.

Thats like saying one should be issued a driver's lisense for correctly pointing out the components of an automobile and taking it for a spin around the parking lot, while having to learn traffic safety on one's own. While I don't disagree with what your saying, I'm merely saying that the course could show you a little more from a defensive standpoint. I've been fortunate enough to grow up on a farm and spend most of my life shooting, many who take the course and are issued permits have not. Like you said practice is up to the individual.

EKUJustice
04-23-2008, 11:29
The difference is we can carry a gun in KY with no permit at all. The permit just allows it to be concealed. You can't legally just drive a car around town with out a license but you can carry a gun legally without a permit as long as it isnt concealed

TCKDRVR20
04-23-2008, 23:36
The difference is we can carry a gun in KY with no permit at all. The permit just allows it to be concealed. You can't legally just drive a car around town with out a license but you can carry a gun legally without a permit as long as it isnt concealed

True. I'm glad to live in a state that allows for open carry of firearms, but I personally would rather not have the attention directed to me of carrying open. EKUJustice, perhaps you can awnser a question of mine... Do the same prohibitions exist carrying openly as carrying concealed? (EG. A hospitial, Post office) Like if a building has a sign prohibiting concealed carry of firearms, could you still carry on your person if it was in plain view? Our training manual didn't discuss that.

Berretta9
04-24-2008, 06:58
Open carry in a place that has a sign that states no concealed weapons will just get you tossed out quicker. Open carry in a place that it's illegal to carry concealed will just get you arrested quicker. Always best to keep it concealed and keep on rollin'

wprebeck
04-27-2008, 15:54
Where did you get the idea that it's illegal to CCW in a hospital or post office? Unless the statute changed when I wasn't looking, neither of those locations is listed as a prohibited place.

wprebeck
04-27-2008, 16:18
Nope....just rechecked the statute (237.110) and it's not changed. If a hospital has a "No CCW" sign posted, then that just means they don't want you carrying. It's not illegal to do so, you just have to leave if asked. In KY, signs aren't legally binding. The worst case is that you get hooked up for Criminal Trespass for not leaving, if asked.

Perhaps your instructor didn't fully explain this? But, refer to KRS 237.110 for more detailed info.

Famas1
07-11-2008, 18:52
Where did you get the idea that it's illegal to CCW in a hospital or post office? Unless the statute changed when I wasn't looking, neither of those locations is listed as a prohibited place.

It is my understanding that it is illegal to CCW in a post office. It is a Federal building. Am I wrong?

Ridgeway
07-11-2008, 22:51
As I understand it your certificate is good for life.

Any source for this?

I note neither the statute nor the KSP state any specific reqs in relation to the training cert.

I still have mine from several years ago. I'd love to use it again when I move back to KY in a few years (I'd rather not sit through those tapes again). I haven't found anything that says that a training certificate may only be used once, but who knows (I'd hate to be denied just for using a rather old cert that I used for a permit years ago already)...I'll inquire w/the KSP eventually I suppose.

Berretta9
07-13-2008, 09:54
Good news is the video is now down to 2 parts that total a little under 2 hours. Still really boring but not as long as it used to be.

KYGlock23
07-13-2008, 10:47
Anybody received their license back from the state yet? I am going on 12 weeks on mine. It is starting to get ridiculous with the amount of time for the wait. They cashed my check 9 weeks ago!

SDGlock23
07-13-2008, 14:34
It's been a while for me too. Still waiting...

nighthunter30
07-13-2008, 20:13
It is my understanding that it is illegal to CCW in a post office. It is a Federal building. Am I wrong?

What I read on it more of a gray area. Some will say it legal then other will say it illegal. Just read it for you self. http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=816543&referrerid=54281

KYJoe
07-23-2008, 20:11
Anybody received their license back from the state yet? I am going on 12 weeks on mine. It is starting to get ridiculous with the amount of time for the wait. They cashed my check 9 weeks ago!

We are in the same boat. I am trying to view it as a good sign that more folks are getting their ccdw, but I am growing impatient.

Berretta9
07-24-2008, 07:49
Has it been 12 weeks for you also ?? What county do you live in ??

KYJoe
07-25-2008, 17:16
My post must have brought me some good karma. I picked it up today. It was almost two months to the day from when I dropped of my application.

gruntmedik
07-25-2008, 20:05
Still waiting on mine, too. :sigh:

Berretta9
07-26-2008, 07:47
I think the problem some of you are having is the local sherriff may be taking his sweet time turning them into the state police for your backgroud checks. If I remember Gruntmedik, youy live in Spencer, correct ??

Captain38
07-26-2008, 08:11
Madison County, for example, mails applications to Frankfort ONLY on Wednesdays, so a full week COULD be involved even before an ap gets started to the KSP for processing.

My recent LEOSA license took twenty-five (25) business days from the time I presented my documentation to the Sheriff's Office until I was notified that it was available there and ready to be picked up.

gruntmedik
07-26-2008, 19:17
I think the problem some of you are having is the local sherriff may be taking his sweet time turning them into the state police for your backgroud checks. If I remember Gruntmedik, youy live in Spencer, correct ??

Yep, in Spencer Co. And guess what was in the mail today? :whistling:

Pick it up Monday. :dancingbanana:

KYJoe
07-27-2008, 07:51

I think that is exactly what happened with me. Per law the sheriff has 5 business days to get the app into the state. My check for the sheriff cleared very quickly, but the one for the state didn't clear for about 4 weeks. I think the sheriff was slow to send it in.

Berretta9
07-27-2008, 10:56
I know that happens all the time. Problem is, who holds the sherriff accountable ?

KYJoe
07-27-2008, 19:34
I know that happens all the time. Problem is, who holds the sherriff accountable ?

:dunno:

I actually called six weeks after submitting my app and they asked for my social and called into the state police to get a status. They were informed that my application was in process, but I had four more background checks to go. Seemed pretty odd. Exactly how many background checks are there???

Leigh
07-28-2008, 09:01

According to the KY. Dept. of Criminal Justice Training, the sheriff is to transmit the application and any accompanying materiral to the KSP within 5 working days.

As a certified KYCDWL instructor, I am held accountable and so should any sheriff's department who are somehow unable to follow the established requirements.

I would contact the the Ky. Dept. of Criminal Justice Training (859-622-2299) and ask to speak with someone in the Compliance Branch.

Berretta9
07-28-2008, 12:26
You are right they should be but they will stonewall all they want.

CJStudent
08-07-2008, 07:10
What I read on it more of a gray area. Some will say it legal then other will say it illegal. Just read it for you self. http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=816543&referrerid=54281

Every Post Office I've been in has a No Weapons-Federal Property sign posted.

Captain38
08-12-2008, 21:10
... i'm going to take the handgun safety class ... for the permit as soon as my new holster arrives.

All firing starts with the firearm already in your hand, so you're NOT going to NEED nor be able to use a holster during your CCDW testing.