Very Rude/Bad Experience at local Gun Shop yesterday! SW Missouri [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Very Rude/Bad Experience at local Gun Shop yesterday! SW Missouri

bbeach
02-17-2008, 11:36
First off let me quick say my main firearm is a G22, but this day I was hunting down Walther P22 accessories... This was my experience at EDI Plus Gun Shop in Nixa, MO.

I know that I'm new here but I'm certainly not new to shooting sports growing up with a 26 year veteran of the Olathe, KS police dept as a Father. Yesterday was far and away the worst experience of my life at a gun shop and I'm not one to bad mouth people or a business, but something must be said about EDI Plus Gun shop in Nixa, MO (Kinder Street).

My neighbor and I went in there just to check out his selection of firearms, reloading equipment and ammo prices yesterday after I called to see if he had any P22 Magazines.

First off we were kindly asked upon entry if they help us find anything, to which we replied "No thanks just looking around!"

Later I asked a man behind the counter about the P22 price they had in the case and he kindly told me he didn't work there and yelled over to a group of guys and said "Steve this guy has a question". Someone from the group of doughnut eating bystanders replied with "What do you want?"... Not knowing which one of them spoke (none of them were looking at me) I said "Which one is Steve I didn't see which of you spoke?".

Steve then stepped from out of the group to once again in a rude tone say "The one that just asked you what YOU want!". I quickly apologized and said I didn't see which one spoke. I then proceeded to ask about the P22. Steve gave me the prices but seemed bothered by my question. I thanked him and returned to looking around the store.

While browsing the store I picked up three manufacturer brochures; a S&W, Ruger and lastly a Kimber. I carried them all through the store while continuing to look. Steve then came from behind to counter and said in a loud tone of voice so all his buddies could hear "You called earlier about P22 Mags right!? FUNNY how I figured that out huh?" Steve then returned to the counter after smugly smiling at me and his buddies. At that time I had had enough of his rudeness, thanked him and proceeded to the door, when Steve in an even louder tone of voice yelled from across the shop "Are you taking those magazine from my store?" (meaning the free brochures)

I responded with "Is that okay? They are free bruchures right?".

Steve - "If you think so - thanks for coming in" (again a very rude tone of voice)

My neighbor who had accompanied me turns and says "Are they magazines or brochures?" (they are in fact manufacturer brochures)

Steve then replies in an even louder tone of voice "LOOK I just want people to be nice to me in my store and ASK before they take things - thanks for coming in now GO"

I then again asked "Are they not free? Is this okay"

Steve again replied "Thanks for coming in" (again rude tone of voice).

WE LEFT despite wanting to get into a confrontation with Steve.

Now I understand I was in there asking about a relatively cheap, low caliber firearm but that doesn't give this gun shop owner the right to treat ANYONE like this. Customer, potential customer or NO. VERY Unacceptable and while I very well could have eventually spent a considerable amount of $$$ in this store I will never go back nor will I let any friends ever go there.

The worst part about this for Steve and EDI Plus Gun Shop is that my neighbor that accompanied me, his wife works for a competing gun shop across town and she now knows the way in which we were treated. Do you think she'll ever recommend someone go to his shop? The kicker is that I work for one of the two largest outdoor retailers in the Country (I'm sure if you shop at either of them and you put two and two together with the location you can figure out which one!) and unfortunately for Steve and EDI I come into contact with more than my fare share of hunters, shooters and outdoor enthusiasts and therefore will have the opportunity to tell this story to many a potential customer.

Again I just wanted to share this experience because no one should be treated this way, and if you have the opportunity to shop at a local gun shop in the SW Missouri area I STRONGLY suggest you steer clear of Steve and EDI Plus in Nixa.

Maybe Steve would have been more respectful had I questioned him regarding Glock Accessories or something of a higher caliber, but simply put this was a terrible experience.

Anyone else ever have an experience like this?

jg420
02-17-2008, 11:55
No but there is no reason to act like that towards a potential customer. My family owns a couple of liquor stores and I run them because they are nurses at the hospital. This proves the one thing that I always say as a business manager and that is you only have 1 chance to make a good first impression to a potential customer and get their business. You have to treat people the way you want to be treated, its the golden rule. Oh well I am sure that they have ran off more than a few customers with that attitude, and sorry if I got off on some other rant.

Meman5150
02-17-2008, 11:56
I believe that all of us have had bad experiences. Although I have had an experience like that, last I heard the guy that wasn't so nice to me was fired. Hopefully you get the same thing to happen for you.

hatred
02-17-2008, 12:03
First off let me quick say my main firearm is a G22, but this day I was hunting down Walther P22 accessories... This was my experience at EDI Plus Gun Shop in Nixa, MO.

I know that I'm new here but I'm certainly not new to shooting sports growing up with a 26 year veteran of the Olathe, KS police dept as a Father. Yesterday was far and away the worst experience of my life at a gun shop and I'm not one to bad mouth people or a business, but something must be said about EDI Plus Gun shop in Nixa, MO (Kinder Street).

My neighbor and I went in there just to check out his selection of firearms, reloading equipment and ammo prices yesterday after I called to see if he had any P22 Magazines.

First off we were kindly asked upon entry if they help us find anything, to which we replied "No thanks just looking around!"

Later I asked a man behind the counter about the P22 price they had in the case and he kindly told me he didn't work there and yelled over to a group of guys and said "Steve this guy has a question". Someone from the group of doughnut eating bystanders replied with "What do you want?"... Not knowing which one of them spoke (none of them were looking at me) I said "Which one is Steve I didn't see which of you spoke?".

Steve then stepped from out of the group to once again in a rude tone say "The one that just asked you what YOU want!". I quickly apologized and said I didn't see which one spoke. I then proceeded to ask about the P22. Steve gave me the prices but seemed bothered by my question. I thanked him and returned to looking around the store.

While browsing the store I picked up three manufacturer brochures; a S&W, Ruger and lastly a Kimber. I carried them all through the store while continuing to look. Steve then came from behind to counter and said in a loud tone of voice so all his buddies could hear "You called earlier about P22 Mags right!? FUNNY how I figured that out huh?" Steve then returned to the counter after smugly smiling at me and his buddies. At that time I had had enough of his rudeness, thanked him and proceeded to the door, when Steve in an even louder tone of voice yelled from across the shop "Are you taking those magazine from my store?" (meaning the free brochures)

Steve - "If you think so - thanks for coming in" (again a very rude tone of voice)

My neighbor who had accompanied me turns and says "Are they magazines or brochures?" (they are in fact manufacturer brochures)

Steve then replies in an even louder tone of voice "LOOK I just want people to be nice to me in my store and ASK before they take things - thanks for coming in now GO"

Now I understand I was in there asking about a relatively cheap, low caliber firearm but that doesn't give this gun shop owner the right to treat ANYONE like this. Customer, potential customer or NO. VERY Unacceptable and while I very well could have eventually spent a considerable amount of $$$ in this store I will never go back nor will I let any friends ever go there.

The worst part about this for Steve and EDI Plus Gun Shop is that my neighbor that accompanied me, his wife works for a competing gun shop across town and she now knows the way in which we were treated. Do you think she'll ever recommend someone go to his shop? The kicker is that I work for one of the two largest outdoor retailers in the Country (I'm sure if you shop at either of them and you put two and two together with the location you can figure out which one!) and unfortunately for Steve and EDI I come into contact with more than my fare share of hunters, shooters and outdoor enthusiasts and therefore will have the opportunity to tell this story to many a potential customer.

Again I just wanted to share this experience because no one should be treated this way, and if you have the opportunity to shop at a local gun shop in the SW Missouri area I STRONGLY suggest you steer clear of Steve and EDI Plus in Nixa.

Maybe Steve would have been more respectful had I questioned him regarding Glock Accessories or something of a higher caliber, but simply put this was a terrible experience.

Going towards Springfield from Branson West, Is this the gunshop on the left hand side of the road in Nexa next to the gas station. Kind of a pawn shop also?

elderboy02
02-17-2008, 12:04
Wow, that guy is a jerk. :steamed: I hope they go out of business with an attitude like that.

BOGE
02-17-2008, 12:04
No offense, but these matters are impossible to judge with only one side of the story.

Blitzer
02-17-2008, 12:22
No offense, but these matters are impossible to judge with only one side of the story.

Maybe a group of us should drop in and sing a few rounds of kumbiah and ask Steve how he feels about P22s and giving away free literature!

:upeyes:

troy96
02-17-2008, 12:27

True, lets assume that a GTer is lying and that a gun shop guy was polite friendly and professional. Thats realistic. :whistling:

Northalius
02-17-2008, 12:30
Maybe a group of us should drop in and sing a few rounds of kumbiah and ask Steve how he feels about P22s and giving away free literature!

:rofl:

mitchshrader
02-17-2008, 12:31
can't comment on the guy, the incident, but the TREATMENT part, yeah, i know the words and chorus to THAT song.

A very nice gunshop moved out not too long ago, clean, nice guns, fancy cabinets, and a his n' hers atmosphere..

that sucked for friendly. Rudest people that ever ran me out of their store with a pocket full of money TWICE.

First time I was tire kicking with my daughter, and i got irate. one of those slow burns where it TOOK a while but i got peeved. finally walked out after about 15 minutes of cold shoulder.

aight, maybe they had a bad day for some reason. i got over it and went back, 2nd chance, to buy said daughter a gurl gun.

Dear lord, you'ld have thought i was wearing pink shoes and had elton john glasses on, cause i asked for a ladysmith.

a guy HAS THE MONEY and wants to BUY THE GUN in a gunshop, and he's 50 years old and wearing cowboy clothes, ya take his darn money and say what else can i do for ya? ..

ya don't act like he's light footed and might ought to go elsewhere.

or he will. so anyway they went broke enough to move.

jerks. I wound up buying her a 19-3 4", mint. The redhawk .44 mag was too much gun. :)

BOGE
02-17-2008, 12:35
True, lets assume that a GTer is lying and that a gun shop guy was polite friendly and professional. Thats realistic.

So a complete stranger tells you that your wife is cheating on you. Do you....

A. Pimp slap the stranger

B. Shoot your wife

C. Gather more info

:upeyes::wavey:

teflon-tim
02-17-2008, 12:54
i had a bum laught at me in a local shop b/c i wanted to rent a glock 27. then he told me how GAP and 10mm ammo is just stupid. should have asked him what he 'suggested' and returned laughter :rofl:

troy96
02-17-2008, 13:01

B. Shoot your wife

C. Gather more info

Im sorry I didnt realize Steve was you BF. :tongueout:

17L1
02-17-2008, 13:25

B. Shoot your wife

C. Gather more info

Pimp slap the stranger then go home and pimp slap the cheating ***** :cool:

mickdundie
02-17-2008, 13:28
My son lives in Boliver, and if you are interested, he has had nothing but very positive things to say about the guy and employees that work in the gun store in Boliver. If you want me to I will ask him where it is located exactly, and the name of it. They will treat you with the 'customer is always right' respect you deserve.
Sometimes guys in gun shops can be jackasses but it sounds like those morons went out of there way to treat you with disrespect. A lot of that going around everywhere and in the end...he will close from lack of business.
Give your business to folks who deserve it...even if the price is a little high sometimes I buy from our local shop anyways cause they are a good bunch and from time to time they do things for me that they don't have to. Thats what it's all about.

Mick:thumbsup:

bbeach
02-17-2008, 13:29
Hatred -

No this gun shop cannot be seen frmo 160/13 highway its off of Tracker Road in Nixa, right on Tracker Road (coming from B West) and then right again on Kinder...

I understand this is just my side of the story but I really have no reason to come on here and make stuff up I've got plenty better to do. Personally I'd like to hear reviews about places before I spend money there thats all. Take from it what you will.

wsteps
02-17-2008, 13:51
In reply to those writing about hearing both sides of the story, and not being there to judge the events for themselves:

It doesn't matter one bit! Any business person should be going out of the way to make customers, even potential customers, happy with the experience of being in their place of business.

This should be true in any business, not just gun shops. My wife called me at the office one day in tears. She was fairly hysterical. She had been at the bank where we have all our personal accounts and my firms business accounts. I only heard her side of the story (granted, after 26 years of marriage, I know her fairly well), but the point was she thought she had been treated like dirt. It doesn't matter what happened at the bank. Anyone there could have seen that she was upset and that should have given someone a clue that at least she felt like she wasn't treated right.

Within the week, I transferred all our accounts, investments, and loans to another bank. We did the same at my firm which ran millions of dollars a year through that bank.

The bottom line: just the fact that this gentleman felt he was being treated badly is a sure sign that the business is not being run right.

That's my two cents.

Warren in Annapolis

mitchshrader
02-17-2008, 14:02
i've noticed it particularly in young businesses, (run by people with not much experience).. that they develop a 'clubhouse' atmosphere sometimes. it's not PARTICULARLY gunshops, it's just that gun folks tend to get peeved quicker and holler louder.

the same kinds of folks in the restaurant business go broke too.

westcoastcop
02-17-2008, 14:21
Not worth getting into a battle of minds with a nitwit! Hope his buddies can rob a few more liquor stores and buy more guns from Steve, cause he will at some point lose his real ****omers!

hank2
02-17-2008, 14:48
we all meet someone like that in the gunstore with the people that work there
mine was with a friend that is a phx police officer when we were looking at glock pistol for his girlfriend to carry for her ccw course that she was going to take
the guy behind the counter kept asking us if we need help and we told in a minute we would like to see the m-19-pistol that was in the case we were talking about if the pistol would be the right size for her
the guy came up and ask us where we going to shop or just look around and not buy anything
when saw the badge on the my friend belt i got real helpfull qiuckly and said that they had a lot of just lookers that day instead poeple that wanted to by
we turned around and walk out of the store with out saying a word
he took me to a another gunshop in the area and it was night and day diffence the guy said hi when we came in and said if need anything just yell and he would be there in a minute also said there coffee on the table to help oursleves to it if we wanted any
we talk to the guy behind the counter and we told him what we wanted and he said that was good idea and and give my friend a great deal with pistol and four mags and 200.rds of ammo for certian amount of cash when he found out my friend was a phx officer gave anthor discount on the ammo with throwing in another 100.rds of ammo for personal defense
i say that my friend has a better idea where to get the best serivce around
the gunshop is off the west 27th ave in glendale az iam not sure right where it is my friend was driveing that day when we were out and about have a guys days out when our girlfriends where doing the shoping trip deal
i have to say that there is gunshops and there gunshops that know how to take care of poeple
plus i will not go the shooter world anymore after the way that they treat a friend of mine
i left az in 2004 to take a job with my company in another state
i go back home every now then for the sar show and my friend and his wife now show me the diff in places where we used to go shoot and hunt in the area have grow over with houses

Solesurvivor
02-17-2008, 14:48
Gun shop owners are like every one else. Some are decent, knowledgable people, and willing to work out a fair deal. Others are not decent, know less about guns than my daughter, and out to rip off people as much as they can. I've been to guns shops around the country. I always found the smaller shops located away from major cities to be the best. They may not have the selection, but the do have decency and stand behind their product. The bigger guys try to oversell you on your needs, and are more likely to be ***** wipes because they are only intersted in making an easy score. IE... selling a fully loaded Noveske with Beta mags, and enough accessories to choke the local SWAT team. Owners CAN be the worst of the lot. I have had one here PHX try to upsell me from a Stag AR he had on sale for $725 (only one in stock, and probably advertised to bring in customers) to a loaded LMT with a fully loaded rail,optics, lazers, etc.. for darn near $3500. When I insisted on the Stag, he told me that it actually was sold but they had not taken it off display. The rest of my visits there for my other needs, I was basically ignored. It's better to find a good reliable FFL and order your products from the net, in my opinion. I get most of my stuff on line any more, just to avoid those types of situations.

Cambo
02-17-2008, 16:41
True, lets assume that a GTer is lying and that a gun shop guy was polite friendly and professional. Thats realistic. :whistling:

Big +1 on that! Most gun shops I have dealt with in New Jersey are incredibly rude and work hard to turn away customers. I will believe the customer almost every time over the gun shop "worker". The gun industry needs improved customer service, no question about it.

carbofan21
02-17-2008, 17:09
this is why i buy mostly over the internet, and have them transferred to a local pawn broker, who appreciates the $20 fee

there's only 1 place in vegas that i will occasionally do business with, because the owners are nice and their prices aren't too bad. but i'll only buy from the owner of the store directly, and not the 3 idiot salespeople they employ

1851coltnavy
02-17-2008, 17:14
Having done business with him for the last 19 years, I can only relate my personal experience with Steve, owns EDI Plus: he sells his wares at a fair price, gives good value for trades, and has gone out of his way to accomodate me when he did not have to do so.

Rarely have I been in his store when he did not have a bunch of customers, with more streaming in the door behind me. I wait my turn, get what I need, and leave satisfied. Steve may seem brutally straightforward to some, but I know him as sincere, honest, and hard-working.

wayne
02-17-2008, 17:14
bbeach,
I'm also from Nixa. I have never been to this gun shop(didn't know it was there) but this guy sounds like the same guy who owned Steve's gun shop that used to be located on 160 right before you get into Springfield. A gun shop called 417 is in the same little shopping center that Steve's used to be. It supposedly has a good rep. If this Steve is the same person, he has a reputation in this area of being a real A-hole. He is famous for always having a bunch of cronies hanging out in his store, doing nothing except bs'ing

I bought my last Glock at a place called Leven Gun Works. Its located north of SPG off of hwy 13 near Fantastic Caverns. He is a SPG cop. Its good to see someone else from Nixa on here. Take care.

Wayne

Sovietsky Soyuz
02-17-2008, 17:33
I don't know what it is about gun shops like this, but it seems that I have been in several where the people behind the counters act like you are BOTHERING them, and they are total jerks, and without exception there always seems to be a group of their "cronies" hanging around shooting the bull........but they don't seem too interested in selling anything. It is a wonder how some of them manage to stay in business....Granted, I have worked many gun shows myself, and the "tirekickers" do at times get to be quite annoying, BUT.....you never know which one of those people is walking around with a wad of money burning a hole in his/her pocket, just waiting to buy something. Sometimes you'd be surprised......therefore I think it prudent to treat all of them the way you'd want to be treated. Sometimes the "tirekicker" doesn't buy anything, but lo and behold he comes back with one of his buddies to your table and sure enough, that buddy buys something from you because you were nice enough to answer all the "dumb" questions that were asked of you by the "tirekicker". Grin and bear it, sometimes it pays off, LOL......besides, there is no such thing as a dumb question when it comes to guns, especially from a novice. Sometimes you find a neophyte who is a "fence sitter" and you never know, you might just get a convert who will jump over to our side. I've seen it happen. I try to be as helpful as I can because of this. I want people to have a good impression of gunowners, Lord knows we need all the help we can get!

Sorry I got off on a tangent here, LOL......It just seems like rude treatment seems to be the norm rather than the exception nowadays when it comes to guns shops and gun show vendors...........:upeyes:

James Cox
02-17-2008, 17:49
Gun shop owners are like every one else. Some are decent, knowledgable people, and willing to work out a fair deal. Others are not decent, know less about guns than my daughter, and out to rip off people as much as they can. I've been to guns shops around the country. I always found the smaller shops located away from major cities to be the best. They may not have the selection, but the do have decency and stand behind their product. The bigger guys try to oversell you on your needs, and are more likely to be ***** wipes because they are only intersted in making an easy score. IE... selling a fully loaded Noveske with Beta mags, and enough accessories to choke the local SWAT team. Owners CAN be the worst of the lot. I have had one here PHX try to upsell me from a Stag AR he had on sale for $725 (only one in stock, and probably advertised to bring in customers) to a loaded LMT with a fully loaded rail,optics, lazers, etc.. for darn near $3500. When I insisted on the Stag, he told me that it actually was sold but they had not taken it off display. The rest of my visits there for my other needs, I was basically ignored. It's better to find a good reliable FFL and order your products from the net, in my opinion. I get most of my stuff on line any more, just to avoid those types of situations.

Which shop were you at if you don't mind me asking?

blownhemi
02-17-2008, 17:59

I've gotta ask. You say your buddy's wife works for a gunshop? Why didn't you just go there? Surely you'd get a better deal and better service in a shop where you know the people that work there.

Then you mention you work for a large outdoors retailer. Do you sell guns there? if so why would you go to another shop?

Poor treatment in gun stores is not unheard of but your story needs a little more explaining I think.

aaronrkelly
02-17-2008, 18:16
I suspect Steve MAY have knew your neighbors wife worked at the other gun store and you were casing his place.

Not condoning his behavior, just shedding some light on a possible reason.

Bren
02-17-2008, 18:25

B. Shoot your wife

C. Gather more info

All of the above???

Zodiac
02-17-2008, 18:29
Listen, give up the grief!!!! If the gun shop owner was a salesman, he would be selling cars, where he would be making a hell of a lot more money! He probably is "in charge" because his dad is out for lunch! So instead of getting pi__ed off, work him. Learn what makes him be your friend (this could be your hang up) work him to be your friend and get that gun at a great deal! Take your emotions out of the purchase and you will have the upper hand to get what you want!

OR

Maybe he just sized you up right and you were there to just jerk him off!!!

What do you think???????:rofl::rofl:

moccw
02-17-2008, 19:26
what a prick, you shouldnt be treated like that, especially if you are a customer looking to purchase somthing. I live in MO but up farther north, right by Columbia. I hope you can find a better gun shop, I wouldnt ever go back to that one!!!!!

1slo10
02-17-2008, 19:44
I would but go early when they first open maby his friends want be there and deal with him one on one then I would buy a new handgun a p22 mag and then say well if you would have not acted like that the other day I would have bought it then or maby more later on but I will never shop here again if I'm going to be treated like Sh**. with poor customer service.

Glk2021
02-17-2008, 19:59
I thought the only jerks were in the Bullet Stop in Wichita. That place is just as bad or worst. I used to go there for years but after the current owner bought it, it has gone down hill. The people that work there are rude at best. I spent 20 minutes in there looking at guns in the cases and reloading supplies and the "help" saw me but never asked to help or even cared I was there. I've spent alot of money in that place but never again. The last time I bought a gun from them, they could have cared less. When I finally got someone to wait on me and told them I wanted to buy a gun the reply was," let's see if you can pass a background check", then after it went through he says, "how many more can we sell you". I paid my money and left, never to return. They are not good for the gun industry and salesman there not. I know several people that justed to be long time customers that will never return as well. Good thing Gander Mountian came to town.

ArodJohns
02-17-2008, 20:14

B. Shoot your wife

C. Gather more info

Been there, done that. I even have the T-shirt.

I gathered more info, and then promptly vacated the side of the state to avoid any violent out bursts. :supergrin:

4095fanatic
02-17-2008, 20:27
I posted on my Missouri board, I'll see if I can get some answers.

gladiator
02-17-2008, 20:35
I bet you never see the Anti-Gun people like the Brady Bunch act like this STEVE fellow , this is an example why us gunowners are losing an the anti-Gun people are winning because they stick together and there are no steve's around the Brady Bunch.

Rally Vincent
02-17-2008, 20:38
Rude slobs in a gunshop? No kiddin....

bbeach
02-17-2008, 20:41
hey blownhemi

My buddys wife's shop isn't open on Saturdays and he didn't have any Walther stuff. I wasn't in the gun shop to buy a Walther - as I had just bought a P22 Friday evening. I was merely looking for extra magazines but knew from the phone call that Steve didn't have them in stock. Really we just wanted to check out his store and see what he had since it was close to our homes and we could shop there when we needed things - ammo -etc.

Yes I work for a large outdoor retailer (Well I work for their corporate office) but in this particular case they were overpriced on the P22 and they didn't have any accessories or extra magazines either.

Hope that explains my situation better.

And AaronKelly there's really no way Steve could have known my neighbor or put him together with his wife from the competing gun store. And even if he did we weren't in there being threatening. I was honestly in there seeing what he had for future purchases.

This evening I spoke with a coworker who's lived in the Springfield area all his life and he knew Steve right off the bat and has also had similar dealings with him and his rudeness.

sparky241
02-17-2008, 20:43

B. Shoot your wife

C. Gather more info

D all of the above:supergrin: J/k

Bert.40
02-17-2008, 20:55
Was that shop in the Ozarks? Did you hear Dueling Banjos in the background; or a pig squealing?

Stay away from that store!!

Trust No One:ufo::ufo:

bbeach
02-17-2008, 21:00
Nixa... no dueling banjos just aholes...

jonusmcg
02-17-2008, 21:06
Personally, I hate dealing with 90% of the gun shops. The guys that work there are stuck up and think that they are better than you and know everything. little do they know that I have 8 years in the Marine Corps and MUCH shooting experience, probably MORE than them! Like when they tell me that Glocks are crap, and I ask them "oh yeah? and thats based off of what knowledge that you have of what tactical response situations?" Oh thats right, YOU'RE A FR**CKIN' CIVILIAN! Don't worry about those guys. They think they can talk down to everyone because they are allowed to carry guns in the store. My advice, pay no mind to the idiots behind the counter.:whistling:

Jeff82
02-17-2008, 21:36
Couple quick bad stories:

Jims' Pawn & Gun in Fayet-nam: Had absolutely horrible help behind the counter in the '80's and when I tried them again in the '90's. They were running mouth know-it-all's and you'd be lucky to even get a word out. Before you could finish a question they'd tell you what you really needed or wanted. Haven't been back since.

Went into a well-known gun shop just the other day here in Tidewater, VA. The sales dude immediately started bad mouthing the gun and manufacturer I asked about but without anything to back it up. After handling the gun I left. Went to the gun show Saturday (in the same town) and bought that gun from a dealer who was interested in selling one. At a significantly lower price I might add!

Good story: Want to deal with someone who is great? Ed's Gun Shop in Vass NC. I've known him since I drove a Pepsi truck (early 1990's) when his store was still in Southern Pines. He's always been one to listen to you then help you out. Good prices too.

Solesurvivor
02-17-2008, 21:36
Which shop were you at if you don't mind me asking?

Shooter's Vault on Greenway. I've always heard good things about them, but I've not had a great experience with them. Won't be coming back to them.

blownhemi
02-18-2008, 00:00
hey blownhemi

My buddys wife's shop isn't open on Saturdays and he didn't have any Walther stuff. I wasn't in the gun shop to buy a Walther - as I had just bought a P22 Friday evening. I was merely looking for extra magazines but knew from the phone call that Steve didn't have them in stock. Really we just wanted to check out his store and see what he had since it was close to our homes and we could shop there when we needed things - ammo -etc.

Yes I work for a large outdoor retailer (Well I work for their corporate office) but in this particular case they were overpriced on the P22 and they didn't have any accessories or extra magazines either.

And AaronKelly there's really no way Steve could have known my neighbor or put him together with his wife from the competing gun store. And even if he did we weren't in there being threatening. I was honestly in there seeing what he had for future purchases.

This evening I spoke with a coworker who's lived in the Springfield area all his life and he knew Steve right off the bat and has also had similar dealings with him and his rudeness.

Fair enough - sounds likes the guy is a real ******. It just sounded strage to be shopping elsewhere.

AWDTerror
02-18-2008, 00:01
This is nothing new, steve has always been like this.

He is a genius who know's it with a ego bigger than his shop, I haven't gone in there in years due to the fact that he never changes his stock, and his attitude, but i always stop by DG's gunsmithing next door.

H&K .45 AUTO
02-18-2008, 00:29
I dunno if they are still there... But, last time I was in Springfield (around 2005?) I went in a shop near BassPro called "Gunslinger's"... Good folks, decent prices, I'd go back.

Also, if ya' come to Kansas City there are lots of good folks to deal with. My favorite is Denny's Guns in North Kansas City. I also like going to Bob's Gun Rack on 3rd Street in Lee's Summit MO. Good folks at both shops who actually care about what their customers think and treat you accordingly. Also... American Firearms in Grandview on Blue Ridge Blvd. is another good one.

I'm an LEO in the KC metro area and have many friends at the Olathe Police Dept. How long ago did your dad retire? ... Or, is he still with them?

At any rate... I wouldn't go back to that shop either.

James Cox
02-18-2008, 00:58
Shooter's Vault on Greenway. I've always heard good things about them, but I've not had a great experience with them. Won't be coming back to them.

That's interesting, I started working there about a month ago. Do you remember the guys' name? I'm not the typical gunstore guy, I'm a southern guy. Swing back by some time and chat with me, I can promise you I won't try to pull a umteenthousand percent upsell or ignore you altogether. Money says it was Joe...

4095fanatic
02-18-2008, 01:01
Most people I know who went there say it was Steve. To quote:

This person got Steved.

I visited Steve's Guns (now EDI) once, years ago when he was still in Springfield. I immediately vowed I would never return, and I never have.

And I never will. If someone wants to pay me $300 to walk into that shop and spend a few minutes there, I'll do it. But for any amount less, you can have it.

How Steve stays in business, I have no idea. Nor do I care. Obviously he makes enough of a living for his tastes. He obviously doesn't want my business. Which is fine by me, because he'll never get it.

--------------------------------------------------------
We all know the "Soup Nazi" from Seinfeld... Well, Steve is usually called (behind his back) the "Gun Nazi"
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is nothing new, steve has always been like this.

He is a genius who know's it with a ego bigger than his shop, I haven't gone in there in years due to the fact that he never changes his stock, and his attitude, but i always stop by DG's gunsmithing next door.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

If you want anything firearms-related in Springfield, go by 417 Guns. In my (admittedly brief) experience, 417 Guns is run by real and decent human beings, and they'll treat you right.

linh811
02-18-2008, 01:47
I've never bought from a gunshop Most purchases are from private citizens, otherwise ordered and shipped to my FFL.

Travelin' Jack
02-18-2008, 04:19
I dunno if they are still there... But, last time I was in Springfield (around 2005?) I went in a shop near BassPro called "Gunslinger's"... Good folks, decent prices, I'd go back.

If you want anything firearms-related in Springfield, go by 417 Guns. In my (admittedly brief) experience, 417 Guns is run by real and decent human beings, and they'll treat you right.

These are the only two shops in Springfield I go to anymore. I've spent plenty of money in both and highly recommend them.

bbeach
02-18-2008, 05:40
My Dad has been retired lets see 6-7 years now. He was a Sargent... If your friends know him his last name is Beach.

Be safe in KC Metro and thank you for your service!

Radjxf
02-18-2008, 07:45
I actually bought an HK USP from this a**hole a few years back. At the time, he was the only guy that had any in stock for 150 miles. Got a small taste of his rudeness on the phone. Got to his shop after a 3 hr drive, just about had to snap my fingers in front of his face to get him to acknowledge my presence. He was busy with a bunch of inbred cronies at the time:upeyes:
I spoke clearly and concisely with patience. Said "yes sir and no sir". He still treated me like some annoyance. Guess he kinda dented my ego as I clearly could have his behind for breakfast if necessary:steamed:
Why are 75+% of gunshop owners such you-know-whats?
Avoid this tool.
Check out 417 guns, Bass Pro, heck anywhere but EDI/Steves!!

bassdeer
02-18-2008, 07:51
I would of droped the brochures on the floor.

Blitzer
02-18-2008, 08:44
we all meet someone like that in the gunstore with the people that work there
mine was with a friend that is a phx police officer when we were looking at glock pistol for his girlfriend to carry for her ccw course that she was going to take
the guy behind the counter kept asking us if we need help and we told in a minute we would like to see the m-19-pistol that was in the case we were talking about if the pistol would be the right size for her
the guy came up and ask us where we going to shop or just look around and not buy anything
when saw the badge on the my friend belt i got real helpfull qiuckly and said that they had a lot of just lookers that day instead poeple that wanted to by
we turned around and walk out of the store with out saying a word
he took me to a another gunshop in the area and it was night and day diffence the guy said hi when we came in and said if need anything just yell and he would be there in a minute also said there coffee on the table to help oursleves to it if we wanted any
we talk to the guy behind the counter and we told him what we wanted and he said that was good idea and and give my friend a great deal with pistol and four mags and 200.rds of ammo for certian amount of cash when he found out my friend was a phx officer gave anthor discount on the ammo with throwing in another 100.rds of ammo for personal defense
i say that my friend has a better idea where to get the best serivce around
the gunshop is off the west 27th ave in glendale az iam not sure right where it is my friend was driveing that day when we were out and about have a guys days out when our girlfriends where doing the shoping trip deal
i have to say that there is gunshops and there gunshops that know how to take care of poeple
plus i will not go the shooter world anymore after the way that they treat a friend of mine
i left az in 2004 to take a job with my company in another state
i go back home every now then for the sar show and my friend and his wife now show me the diff in places where we used to go shoot and hunt in the area have grow over with houses

Capitalzation and puctuation would help if you really want us to read your posts. ;)

bbeach
02-18-2008, 08:54
This is becoming humorous the sheer number of people that I've talked to since Saturday about this "incident" and how many of them have said something to the effect of either "Yeah I know Steve and he's a pr*ck of colossal proportions" or "I've had a similiar experience at that place."

At any rate its nice to hear there are better places in the SW Missouri area!

It's too bad we can't calculate the profits lost for EDI due to his attitude and treatment of customers...

Deadduck
02-18-2008, 09:04

Exactly what I was thinking.

I've had a few rude experiences over the years, and not just at gun shops. The most recent one was at a ATV/Motorcycle dealership when I went to the parts counter to get an oil filter for my 4-wheeler. The parts guy was busy BS'ing with a friend of his, and even though he saw me standing at the counter, never said hi, asked what I needed or anything. I finally had to interupt their conversation to tell him what I needed. He made some sarcastic remark, got me the filter, told me how much, but never really stopped his converstation with his friend. Never said thanks, go to hell, or really even made eye contact with me. If I wouldn't have really needed the filter and not wanted to drive 20 miles to the next dealership, I'd have left it sitting on the counter.

A few years ago I went into a gun shop with the full intention of buying a Ruger Blackhawk .44 magnum revolver. I was probably 29-30 at the time. The guys behind the counter were busy talking to one another, and a "customer" who wasn't looking at guns, just talking. When I asked to look at the revolver, one of them told me to wait a minute. He finally waddled over and asked, "what do you want?" in a very unfriendly tone. I told them I wanted to look at a Blackhawk. He pulled it out and handed it to me, then proceeded to ask what I wanted with something like that. I replied paper punching and possibly hunting. He then took the pistol from me with the guise of showing me something and asked to see my ID. I asked him what for, and he said he wanted to see if I was 21. I showed him my DL, just to prove I was way over 21, then walked out, telling him I wouldn't buy from him if he gave me the gun. Life's too long to have to deal with ***holes all the time.

who_dat
02-18-2008, 09:35
Capitalzation and puctuation would help if you really want us to read your posts. ;)

...or at least a period so we'd know where to stop!:tongueout:

QNman
02-18-2008, 09:39
That sucks, bbeach. I have had similar experience in a certain motorcycle shop in Washington, MO. I drive the other way now for parts, filters, etc. and have even made a special trip to Columbia to avoid these a-holes. (Hey, the motorcycle is meant to RIDE, right?)

Anyway, good to know. I get that way once in a while and have a "bad" habit of stopping in little gun shops when I'm traveling, especially in Missouri. And, yes, sometimes I walk out with a new toy! ;)

paul1973
02-18-2008, 09:46

B. Shoot your wife

C. Gather more info

:upeyes::wavey:This must be Steve from the gun store:rofl:

ArmaGlock
02-18-2008, 10:49
How about throwing the magazines across the store and telling him what you think of him, maybe embarrass him in front of his buddies a little.

Sounds like somebody needs to put this guy in his place.

Typical gun store behavior. In order to keep myself out of trouble I stay out of places with customer service representatives that act like that. My mouth will not stay shut, treat me like crap, and I'll treat you the same.

DaveA
02-18-2008, 12:04
I had the same experience at a place near me as well. I've bought 3 guns there and each time you buy one you get a years membership on the range.

I bought an AR for $800 something and the guy I usually deal with wasn't there. Instead there was this guy who's always there ignoring people and surfing the web on the computer they use to check prices.

After being ignored several times, I go "Can I get a renew on my membership card for the range? I just picked up my AR" He doesn't even look up and goes "That's only if you buy a new gun." I said "Yeah...I just picked up my Bushmaster that I ordered. It's new". And he goes "How much was it?" with this annoyed tone. I go "$800 (something)" and he goes "Oh you need to spend $1000 to get the free range time" Which I knew to be complete bull****.

Then he goes "I'd better not catch you SNEAKING that in here, we're not rifle rated" I looked at him and said "I shoot here all the time, I'm aware of the range rules but thanks for the reminder. I think Top Gun is rifle rated. Maybe I'll just go there from now on and not bother you since you're obviously so busy."

I've never been back and although Top Gun is a lil more pricey, they're polite and a real sharp operation. I go there for all my handguns and rifle needs.

I suppose I could have called the first place (Wolverine Shooting) and complained but I figured, "Hey you want to be a jerk? See ya." I've never been back.

kgain673
02-18-2008, 12:13
I'd hate to say this but most ( not all ) gun stores are very rude, and come off like snobs ( similar to art snobs in art galleries), but less "classey". This is just my opinion so dont flame me guys. Many of the gun retailers that my brother and I enter treat us like we have no business buying a firearm. My brother is in the army and knows how to handle a rifle better then most of the fat mall ninjas, and they refuse to think anyone knows more then they do. The truth is they are retail, they know only what they have to sell. I'm sorry guys but I've have very few good gun store visits. My point is that any high end retail store you enter should treat customers with respect, when they are trying to seel you a tool for 300-900 dollars.

Jeff82
02-18-2008, 12:16
I'm beginning to see a reason why the shooting sports don't attract many new shooters...

This needs to be corrected for our own long-term benefit.

Now how....

We do pretty well f2f with folks but how do we get (all) gun shops to show a positive face?

BustedFlush
02-18-2008, 12:33
An extra press on "Return" key does wonders as well.

See, I just did it.

Sounds like a gun shop I would enter at most once.

BF :wavey:

aaronrkelly
02-18-2008, 15:53
I actually bought an HK USP from this a**hole a few years back. At the time, he was the only guy that had any in stock for 150 miles. Got a small taste of his rudeness on the phone. Got to his shop after a 3 hr drive, just about had to snap my fingers in front of his face to get him to acknowledge my presence. He was busy with a bunch of inbred cronies at the time:upeyes:
I spoke clearly and concisely with patience. Said "yes sir and no sir". He still treated me like some annoyance. Guess he kinda dented my ego as I clearly could have his behind for breakfast if necessary:steamed:
Why are 75+% of gunshop owners such you-know-whats?
Avoid this tool.
Check out 417 guns, Bass Pro, heck anywhere but EDI/Steves!!

Well, apparently he can treat customers like this and they STILL BUY from him.....like you did. Maybe hes doing it right.

Hes got YOUR money in his pocket and you put up with it.

Radjxf
02-18-2008, 16:05
Well, apparently he can treat customers like this and they STILL BUY from him.....like you did. Maybe hes doing it right.

Hes got YOUR money in his pocket and you put up with it.

Touche!
You are correct, however when somebody drives 3 hrs one way, spends $75 in gas, I decided to take the good with the bad and move on.
Maybe you guys would get along fine?

PRECISION4808
02-18-2008, 16:21

I was thinking the exact same thing!

aaronrkelly
02-18-2008, 16:22
Touche!
You are correct, however when somebody drives 3 hrs one way, spends $75 in gas, I decided to take the good with the bad and move on.
Maybe you guys would get along fine?

Probably not, I have principles and treat people with respect until they prove otherwise.

He would have proved otherwise on the phone and would have saved me the trip. If not, I could care less at what cost or time, I would not have walked out of that store with a gun and I would have told him why.

I wouldnt have bought water from him if I was dying of thirst.

I have been known to go out of my way to prove a point, even at my own expense.

People that continue to buy from stores like that, for whatever reason, are why that guy thinks he can treat people like he does.

Because he can, and they still buy.

.....just doesnt make since.

Thank god you didnt have a problem with that gun and have to interact with him again.....that would have really sucked.

T. R. Graham
02-18-2008, 18:21
I make my living by manufacturing firearms and doing firearms customization.

The CUSTOMER is the entire reason why we are in business. They are not there to waste our time.

Some folks forget this.

TR Graham
The Glocksmith
Riflesmith, Elk River Tool & Die

Doug Fresh
02-18-2008, 18:54
I was in a gun shop in N.H. I brought a friend there to look at a rifle. The owner handed my friend a brand new browning bolt action in 300 wsm. Then my buddy passed it to me to look at. Upon handing it back to the store owner he gave me a dirty look and then turned to his wife and said " clean this one up real good they got their prints all over it". What a rude thing to say to two potential customers. I won't go back. I feel your frustration.

Zodiac
02-18-2008, 19:31

The CUSTOMER is the entire reason why we are in business. They are not there to waste our time.

Some folks forget this.

TR Graham
The Glocksmith

Amen!!!! Ain't that the truth!

QNman
02-18-2008, 19:45

Some folks forget this.

TR Graham
The Glocksmith

This is true, regardless of you chosen profession.

James Cox
02-18-2008, 20:00

Some folks forget this.

TR Graham
The Glocksmith

THANK YOU!
Not all of us are inconsiderate rude jerks. We're out there, just gotta know where to look ;)

Upshot
02-19-2008, 08:21
I've never posted here but lurk around and read occasionally, but this story was enough for me to register so I can comment. I can tell you for a fact as I live and work in Springfield MO, that Steve/EDI Plus is absolutely the worst you will find. This guy is a top-of-the-line *******. I've bought two guns from him in the past, and both were miserable experiences. A handful of my friends have tried to buy guns from him and only one ended up actually getting one.

As pure dipchits go, Steve is first class. He sells guns 15 bucks cheaper than everybody else, but I sure as hell have no idea how that helps him when the moment you walk into his gun shop you are going to be belittled and condescended.

I don’t know anybody that wouldn’t pay an extra $20 to have good customer service.

I’ll never go back, my friends will never go back, and most people that have ever shopped there have similar stories and will never go back.

Blitzer
02-24-2008, 07:27
Any more I tell them when they are Richard Craniums and walk out. Over priced guins and extreamly low IQs make me want to throw up!

bbeach
02-24-2008, 17:13
Well today was a welcomed change! First time visiting Pistols Plus in Lake Ozark, MO (right off HWY 54)... FANTASTIC Customer Service! Very knowledgeable salesman, we talked guns for a bit, talked about some different ammo! He didn't have the magazines I was looking for in stock but offered to order them in and either ship them to me or call me when they came in. Super Nice guy and very very nice gun shop! One of the nicest shops I've ever been in. Huge selection of pistols too all on a big glass wall box. A lot of Glock stuff too - shirts, polos, range bags, etc. Anyway just thought I'd comment on a good shop to go with the bad one!

I knew there were good ones out there!

QNman
02-24-2008, 17:26
Well today was a welcomed change! First time visiting Pistols Plus in Lake Ozark, MO (right off HWY 54)... FANTASTIC Customer Service! Very knowledgeable salesman, we talked guns for a bit, talked about some different ammo! He didn't have the magazines I was looking for in stock but offered to order them in and either ship them to me or call me when they came in. Super Nice guy and very very nice gun shop! One of the nicest shops I've ever been in. Huge selection of pistols too all on a big glass wall box. A lot of Glock stuff too - shirts, polos, range bags, etc. Anyway just thought I'd comment on a good shop to go with the bad one!

I knew there were good ones out there!

That's good to know... I get through that area from time to time on business. I may have to stop in and buy something!

bbeach
02-24-2008, 19:03
It doesn't look like a very large gun shop from the road, but wow inside was really nice! And they have two rooms of Assault Weapons for display that was really neat to look at too!

QNman
02-24-2008, 19:12
It doesn't look like a very large gun shop from the road, but wow inside was really nice! And they have two rooms of Assault Weapons for display that was really neat to look at too!

Wow! They sell full auto weapons there? (Sorry, I couldn't resist - the anti's even have US calling them "assault weapons" :tongueout:)

Seriously though, I look forward to getting that way!

4095fanatic
02-24-2008, 19:58
I hate to say it, but I usually just buy online... even with shipping and FFL fees it's usually cheaper. Only exception I make is for GLOCKs, due to local shops pretty much all offering the same discounted price within $25.

Abull
02-26-2008, 19:45
Wish I had seen this sooner. Steve, what a guy! I live about 70 miles away in his home town, I have bought a couple of guns from him. I first heard of him from a guy working at Wilson Combat, told me what he was like and what to expect. First time in it was like pulling teeth to get waited on. After I bought the first gun it got easier and went from there. Of course, finding out I knew his Brother and Dad gave us something to talk about which helped. But I have seen people walk in, stand around and never get waited on! Heck of a way to run a business. Always seems to be selling to LEO when I was there, which was before he moved south to Nixa. Still the cheapest I can find on most guns and I wouldn't rule out buying another from him. My wife says we get along because I'm an a##hole just like him! Not a very nice thing to say!

Abull

Lynxkcg
02-27-2008, 01:17
As a retail salesman since the day I turned 16, it sickens me to hear these stories. Unfortunatly, around Memphis it's like this. There are 2 big ranges in Memphis, one has about 12 lanes and is about 40" long with a dirt berm indoors, they don't have a lot of stuff to rent, but they are the nicest people and have always treated me great.
The range on the north side of town has nicer facilities, but I've only had a good trip maybe 30% of the time. Just because I'm only 21 doesn't meen I don't know safety. I prefer earplugs to headphones and it never fails that someone working there grabs me when I walk to the range entrance to tell me that I need hearing protection. Thier consistency is a little off also. I took my girlfriend to shoot 3 times while she was 19 and 20 with no problem. The 4th time we had been shooting for almost half an hour before we were stopped and told she had to leave because she was under 21. We explained that we had done this before and all we were told was "Well he(previous employees) ****ed up, ya'll need to get on outta here." He then refused to give me a refund on the rental and lane fees(we paid 15$ for a lane for an hour, sholdn't I get 7.50$ + half the rental fee back?). We eventually got our refund from another worker after he picked up a gunrag and quit acknowledging us.

502_Eagles
02-27-2008, 03:45
Two of my favorite places to go. Guys are good honest people, good prices and good service. First time I walked into Horizon I told the guy I was just checking it out because of the limited selection in Flag. He told me if I needed any help just ask, and that he could order me parts if they didn't have them in store. Bear Arms has some of the best prices I've found and the guys are nice and answer questions instead of laughing. Got my Glock 21 with factory night sights and a surefire for $500. Went to another store to by something a month later and they asked how much I paid for the light, couldn't believe that it pretty much came with the gun.

wayne
02-27-2008, 16:45
I must have caught Steve on a good day because the only time I went to his store(before he moved to Nixa), He waited on me immediately and went in the back and got out the guns I was interested in looking at. He didn't say anything out of line or act like an a**hole. I know a lot of people who he treated like crap.

Wayne

Jwhargrove
07-15-2008, 09:48

EDI Plus 1250 Kinder
Nixa, MO 65714 417-724-0181 (P)
417-724-1002 (F) ediplus@gmail.com

Civitas
07-15-2008, 16:09
Reminds me of Julia Roberts in "Pretty Woman". The shop keeper is rude so she goes elsewhere to make huge purchases. On her way home she walks into the rude shop, lets them take a look at her new clothes and boxes of stuff she is carrying.... and says:
"Big mistake... BIG MISTAKE!"

Jwhargrove
07-15-2008, 17:23
Reminds me of a spoiled little brat that never had to work hard for anything. You have to appreciate your customers, and most of all, your good name.

JohnKSa
07-15-2008, 22:08

Some folks forget this.

TR Graham
The Glocksmith
Riflesmith, Elk River Tool & DieYears ago, Mr. Graham used to live in my area and frequently had a table at the local gun shows. I always tried to go to his table and watch him work for awhile if he was at a show I attended--I've still never seen anyone who could detail strip a glock as fast as he did.

Not only is he obviously very good at what he does, he was always willing to answer questions politely and with a smile on his face, even when the person was clearly not going to buy anything and even when the question was one he'd clearly heard a million times since that morning.

It has to have been around 15 years since the last time I saw him at a gunshow, but that kind of attitude makes a lasting impression.

hollywood_5150
07-15-2008, 22:12
I was reading all of this and wanted to laugh. I have been dealing with Steve for over 10 years, and frankly this is the only shop I go to. His prices are the best, and if you are kind enough to wait until he is finished with his other customers, I find Steve to be quite friendly. The one thing you have to remember, when I am in his shop it is usually full of customers, and only one Steve to wait on them. If I am busy at work and someone says "I'm just looking" I will go to the next person. If you would have said "I called about the P-22 mags" he would have known who you were. I was in his store on a Saturday 2 weeks ago for about 45 mins., and he sold 9 guns while I was there so I think he stays fairly busy. So, complain all you want. He may be blunt and to the point, but it's his business. And all the cronies you mentioned, I'm guessing most of the time they are Springfield, Nixa, Ozark or Greene County officers, and very good customers.

If you don't like it, shop somewhere else. He's been in business a long time, so he must be doing something right. Or better yet, open your own shop so we can talk about you.

Jwhargrove
07-16-2008, 08:18

As you misspell capitalization? :rofl:

Jwhargrove
07-16-2008, 08:27
I was reading all of this and wanted to laugh. I have been dealing with Steve for over 10 years, and frankly this is the only shop I go to. His prices are the best, and if you are kind enough to wait until he is finished with his other customers, I find Steve to be quite friendly. The one thing you have to remember, when I am in his shop it is usually full of customers, and only one Steve to wait on them. If I am busy at work and someone says "I'm just looking" I will go to the next person. If you would have said "I called about the P-22 mags" he would have known who you were. I was in his store on a Saturday 2 weeks ago for about 45 mins., and he sold 9 guns while I was there so I think he stays fairly busy. So, complain all you want. He may be blunt and to the point, but it's his business. And all the cronies you mentioned, I'm guessing most of the time they are Springfield, Nixa, Ozark or Greene County officers, and very good customers.

If you don't like it, shop somewhere else. He's been in business a long time, so he must be doing something right. Or better yet, open your own shop so we can talk about you.

The original post said that some guy standing behind the counter who said "he didnt work there" yelled to Steve from behind the counter. How could you know that if you never have been there before if "Steve" was with a customer? And most people don’t like attitudes from store keepers especially if they intend to spend some money.

I find that loud mouth people with attitudes have a following of people that want to kiss their ***** and be "in" with them. I have one in my neighborhood that laughs at the other guys that try to buddy with him behind their backs. He too will be a jerk to people, talks about his fighting days, loud, belligerent and these guys just hover around him. I don't do that and visits me and is always cool with me.

Yep, guys like Steve always have a following of ***** kissers. It's not his "great" prices that keep you there Hollywood. But if his business is lucky to be successful despite his attitude, think how well he would be if he just treated people with common courtesy. I bet he gets bent out of shape if somebody talks to him like that.

I will "find" a better price if I have to before I give that guy my money. Gun elitist is what he sounds like. Wish his store were in Texas, I would visit him today.

Cody Jarrett
07-16-2008, 08:32
Throw the brochures on the floor and walk out.

Jwhargrove
07-17-2008, 07:25
Look at him in the eyes, throw them on the floor. Exactly right. Then turn and walk out the door.
This guy would have to chase you out the door to uphold his rep with his buddies.
Thats when you have your phone ready to dial 911.

AR-Jim
07-17-2008, 09:38

Hi Steve. :)

Civitas
07-17-2008, 10:00
THANK YOU!
Not all of us are inconsiderate rude jerks. We're out there, just gotta know where to look ;)
Maybe this is a regional thing? I've been to gun shows and gun stores all over the South, and I've never been treated discourteously. I've gotten bad info and been asked to pay ridiculously high prices, but nobody has ever been rude to me.

And I am amazed at how many people from Missouri are on this forum. You guys must be armed to the teeth out there. :supergrin:

RichardB
07-17-2008, 10:35
Is there a basis for a law suit by the parties discussed this way in a public forum. Nothing is private on the internet.

Civitas
07-17-2008, 13:08
Is there a basis for a law suit by the parties discussed this way in a public forum. Nothing is private on the internet.
America is the land of litigation and just about anyone can sue anyone else over just about anything. But in cases of libel or slander, truth is an absolute defense. Just don't say anything that is false and you are ok.

Jwhargrove
07-17-2008, 15:22

Do you read any false libel in here? One person expressed their experience with Steve the owner of the establishment and based on that and now other input, we have a forum.

Just like the word of mouth passes around if you give good service, it works the other way too. It's called consequences!

Jeff82
07-17-2008, 15:42
Maybe this is a regional thing? I've been to gun shows and gun stores all over the South, and I've never been treated discourteously. I've gotten bad info and been asked to pay ridiculously high prices, but nobody has ever been rude to me.

You've never been to Jim's Guns on Yadkin Extension, Fayetteville, North Carolina!!

:)

Civitas
07-17-2008, 21:13
You've never been to Jim's Guns on Yadkin Extension, Fayetteville, North Carolina!!

:)
I've been to the Special Ops Museum in Fayetteville but I missed Jim's. I'll check it out the next time I'm over that way. :supergrin:

Jeff82
07-17-2008, 21:30
I've been to the Special Ops Museum in Fayetteville but I missed Jim's. I'll check it out the next time I'm over that way. :supergrin:

It's been years for me but every so often I'll stop by just to see if anything has changed and if their staff is still rude know-it-alls (at least the ones I've been in contact with) who won't let you get a word in edgewise telling you what you SHOULD like or not.

I'll stand back and listen in on other sales-customer conversations. Only takes a minute to confirm...

RichardB
07-18-2008, 15:49
I've been a customer at Jim's for several years. They have the best gun selection in town. There is always someone there to wait on you if you have a question. The staff appears to be retired soldiers which fits in well with a major customer base here.

I've always been treated with courtesy and personally never heard any wild recommendations, although I've walked away when the questions seemed too elementary from one who intended to purchase something as serious as a firearm. :whistling:

Jwhargrove
07-18-2008, 23:21
:rofl:

I just saw that. You mean, hi Steve's mom!

hollywood_5150
07-18-2008, 23:51
Sorry, I'm not Steve. I was in his shop this week, bought several things. Once again, his shop was full of people with several buying guns. He must be doing something right.

Blitzer
07-18-2008, 23:59

Please elaborate, your law degree is from where? :dunno:

RichardB
07-19-2008, 05:25
I asked a straight question. Don't need legal training to ask. Thought one or more of the knowledgable folks here might have an answer or even some experience.

smitty81
07-21-2008, 03:31
I once bought a Beretta 90-two from scheels in lincoln nebraska...........Man i the customer service in that place bad.

First off let me tell you something, I am 22 years old and an avid hunter. I might look a little younger then 22, therefore not a one single salesman will ask me if I need help. 9 times out of ten, no one will ever ask me. Then i go in with my dad, and about 5 guys ask him if he needs help within the half an hour we were there.........talk about being mad.

So I have this bad itch to get a new handgun and I am looking around for about 10 min before I HAVE to go ask for help. I finally decided upon the 90-two. I spent about 700 some odd dollars that day there.

I finally get around to shooting the gun and its accuracy has the worst I have ever seen in a handgun. 6 low and another 6 to the left. Got the same results after 2 mags.

I had jut purchased a handgun that cost me about $800 and it idnt shoot worth a crap. I ended up taking it back to Scheels to tell the salesman (a different guy then who sold it to me) that it needed to be sent back to beretta and something needs to be fixed on it.

He asked me why and i told him that i had just got it, Its Brand New and explained to him what had happened. He kind of laughed at me and told me that all semi auto handguns or "DEFENCE" handguns to be exact are not accurate. Im thinking to myself that he just thinks im some dumb city kid that wants a gun. Remember, I was raised around guns. I live in rural nebraska, this is what we do for fun.

So I said to him.........hmmmmm thats funy, so you mean to tell me that even though the state patrol and other law enforcement trust their lives to these, they are never accurate?

The salesman said that they shoot it so much they just remember where it hits everytime..................YEA..........I CALL BS!!!

Then I got mad (I HAVE A REALLY BAD TEMPER) I said im not just some dumb kid that came in off the street an decied it would be cool to have a gun. I have been shooting guns since I was a little boy. My dad has over a hundred firearms and none shoot this bad sir.

He then laughed at me and i told him to just give me my money back......

I was so mad that i made myself promise to never go back.

I would drive the 60 some miles just to go to cabelas then to go back to scheels.

They are rude and dont know their head from their feet. As a matter of fact, I seen a guy there that was selling shoes one day selling guns the next.

I called the manager and he told me that all his employees have an extensive training in their field otherwise he would not hire them......I CALL BS AGAIN!!!

I could go on forever about my horrible expierences there.......DONT SHOP AT SCHEELS!!!! GIVE THE LOCAL GUN SHOP A TRY BEFORE YOU GO TO A CORPERATION!!!

aaronrkelly
07-21-2008, 03:38
I prefer Scheels....that 30 day money back, no questions asked return policy on new and used guns is handy.....and they arent BSing either.....I returned a few and never got hassled once.

QNman
07-21-2008, 08:07
... I am amazed at how many people from Missouri are on this forum. You guys must be armed to the teeth out there. :supergrin:

:supergrin:

Jwhargrove
07-21-2008, 11:25
Its funny, you have to wonder if people aren't just playing the devils advocate in here.

You could say some guy in their home town sucks and is likely a terrorist. Then somebody in here would say that they know that terrorist personally and he is actually a very good guy!

"You know...I heard say that fried poop on a stick stinks and taste real bad!"

Retort: "Actually, last year at the Arkansas state fair I had fried poop on a stick, and it was actually pretty tastey!":rofl:

QNman
07-21-2008, 11:52

Anyone know how to clean diet soda off a computer screen? :rofl:

larry starling
07-21-2008, 14:46
I've been a customer at Jim's for several years. They have the best gun selection in town. There is always someone there to wait on you if you have a question. The staff appears to be retired soldiers which fits in well with a major customer base here.

I've always been treated with courtesy and personally never heard any wild recommendations, although I've walked away when the questions seemed too elementary from one who intended to purchase something as serious as a firearm. :whistling:

Only problem I have ever had a jims was their high prices.....Carolina Firearms on Bragg Blvd will get you anything you want and at great prices....:rofl:

Jeff82
07-21-2008, 22:06
I found Ed's Gun Shop in Southern Pines in the early '90's. He's since moved to Vass but he's always been fair and decent. Real standup guy and store. There's no sense in supporting over-priced and over-bearing gun shops when there are really decent ones out there!

http://www.edsgunshop.com/

He's expanding. Site shows he's opened another store in Newport, NC.

bearwitme
07-22-2008, 08:07
You seem to be defending your statement when you should not have to..Customer service is customer service. does not matter whether it is in a gun shop or a toy store. These days most are all rude and one should not have to put up with it. I have been know to ask to speak to the manager when this happens and report them. Sometime it gets resolved sometimes it does not. And I also do not have to shop there. There are other places to shop at that will treat you well. Don't know why all the questions as to why you did or didn't do this or that. Point is customer service sucked and you were letting others know..

Ok off my soap box now..

hey blownhemi

nedrgr21
07-29-2008, 13:54
Yup, Steve definitely has a reputation among non-LEO folks down there; but he does know his stuff when it comes to guns and has parts most don't carry. Leven's Guns is kinda out in the sticks. My uncle bought a G21 from him and the owner let him test fire it before purchase.

Bert.40
07-29-2008, 19:56
I guess we are a little lucky in Pennsylvania. I deal with 5 gun shops and have always been treated like a customer should. But when a stranger walks in and just starts looking around, the clerks do change character, at least until the new guy starts bs'n about guns or reloading etc. Every gun shop that i've been in; the man behind the counter is packing on his hip. You never saw that 20 some years ago.

plainsman
07-31-2008, 00:51
Typical of any poor sales person who ignores a client. Had a bugspray guy who make hundreds off me, tell a friend I referred, that he was too busy, after not showing up one day at all. He won't be getting any more of my money either, and this is in a small town where I see this AH out eating breakfast every day, cant be too busy not to hang out and eat!

I have a saying about the thousands of dollars inept sales people cost businesses. No reason not to be polite, unless you are a millionaire, and you are sure you will never have to run into that person again for anything!

briansp82593
07-31-2008, 01:50
Sorry, I'm not Steve. I was in his shop this week, bought several things. Once again, his shop was full of people with several buying guns. He must be doing something right.

Yeah sure Steve, we have all heard this one before :upeyes:
exactly why you have two posts here, and they are in this thread.

Dirty Dealer
07-31-2008, 01:51
I think most gun shops have rude people working in them, maybe that's why I buy my guns online.

AR-Jim
07-31-2008, 08:38

Thread started in Feb 2008.

Your profile was made in Jun 2008.

Only 2 posts ever - both in this thread.

Jwhargrove
07-31-2008, 13:44
Ha ha,
I dont think its Steve. If he doesnt care enough about his reputation to speak to people the way he does, then behind the safety of the internet, he surely wouldnt be any different.
He has his little followers, he has all the parts that nobody has, he knows his guns so he doesn't need GT.

Maybe it's his mom or sister or most likely, one of is toadies. The guy behind the counter that doesnt actually work there?

Are ya gonna take those magazines.........boy?

redrooster
07-31-2008, 17:11
Change of heart...

Steve lacks people skills...

If I had the money and knew what I wanted...I'd buy from him...Otherwise I can't say enough good things about 417 guns.

bbeach
09-03-2008, 15:51
wow I haven't seen this thread in a long time... It actually came up when I was searching for gun shops in the Springfield Area on google.

RedRooster I'd steer clear of EDI... Can't believe he is still in business. I'm considering returning his brochures to him (I'm done with them now)...

SCC
09-03-2008, 20:50
wow I haven't seen this thread in a long time... It actually came up when I was searching for gun shops in the Springfield Area on google.

RedRooster I'd steer clear of EDI... Can't believe he is still in business. I'm considering returning his brochures to him (I'm done with them now)...
wipe you ass with them first :rofl:

Jwhargrove
09-04-2008, 21:54
He would probably just put them back on the counter and never even notice the skid marks.
Right next to the box of parts nobody else has.

I wonder why nobody else has all of these hard to get parts lying around. Maybe they have strangers that come in their stores and buy them up. What are they called again? Customers?

Kohler
09-14-2008, 19:19
Funny I came across this thread here. I am from Springfield and have had dealings with Steve as well. I vowed never to go back to Steve's shop in Nixa because of similar experiences.

It is a great wonder how Steve is still in business. The way he treats customers is appalling, and cost's him alot of business. I know quite a few people that refuse to do business with him.

BTW, when I used to go in there it was never busy. It was always just him and his cronies. Whoever posted that Steve's was such a happening place........ is full of crap.

Alot of people in this area go to places like Cherokee firearms, Gunsmoke, Loftis, 417, or Gunslinger (dont care for gunslinger either). Why would they go there when there are so many other nice gunshops around.

redrooster
09-15-2008, 16:25
+1 on gunslinger. Everytime I've gone in there, the owner has said or done something offensive.

I would highly recommend Doc Holliday's and Loftis across from Bass Pro.

Clyde in CO
09-15-2008, 17:31
this thread makes me want to go to MO and cause a disturbance in his shop.

sappy13
09-15-2008, 22:20
I have had an experience like this before. There is a irish pawn shop near my school that i went into one day while i was waiting for my car to get fixed. As soon as i walked in the person behind the counter asked if there was anything i was looking for and i told him i was just looking. After looking at the knives i moved onto the pistols. I saw a pf-9 in the case for a very good price and asked if i could see it. He immediately asked if i was going to buy today, and i told him if i like it it would probably be sometime next week. He straight up told me no and that he would take it out for me the day i am ready to buy it. Needless to say i have not been back since and dont plan to. He would have had a really easy sale if he would have let me see it because i ended up buying one soon after and have since swayed people away from going their due to his rudeness to me.

Jwhargrove
09-15-2008, 22:24
You can't buy character or the respect of others.

Opy
09-16-2008, 10:25
Why dont you post steves phone number so we can call him and see if he has free magazines. I'm sure he would love 30 calls in one day :-)

RichardB
09-16-2008, 15:43
If he is as bad as stated he would have driven all his customers to the competition. He is still in business despite several unhappy former customers. I would be curious to read his side of these anecdotes.

SW342
09-16-2008, 17:44
Respect has to be earned!

Jwhargrove
09-17-2008, 22:44
This isn't truly directed towards Steve as it is all people who act like this.
He didn't get this reputation from excellent customer service. Everybody has a point of view. Perhaps his is he's tired of all the idiots that come into his store day in and day out to bug him about gun crap!
I know personally people like that. They don't belong in customer service type jobs in my opinion. As for having customers...enough guys like like us love guns and we would go most anywhere to look and even buy them.

I suppose for fun we can sit here and make excuses for him. Heaven forbid he can try to treat people with a little dignity and maybe people, even total strangers wouldnt be writing about him right now.
I will start with my "excuse for Steve".
Maybe he needs to buy some doxidan. You know. Nature gives him a helping hand.

Next..

bdcochran
09-19-2008, 22:49
Why dont you post steves phone number so we can call him and see if he has free magazines.

I would post the number, but it is probably against the rules. I had no problem keying on the name of the business and picking up the number on the first pass. So, OPY, you go and post the number.

watsoncb
09-20-2008, 01:48
Just a Google search away: http://gunshops.blogspot.com/2008/01/missouri-gun-shops.html

Travelin' Jack
09-22-2008, 01:34
+1 on gunslinger. Everytime I've gone in there, the owner has said or done something offensive.

I've been in there a couple dozen times and have had nothing but pleasant experiences. There prices are pretty high though, so I've only bought accessories there. Loftis just down the street is probably my favorite shop in the area, though.

redrooster
09-22-2008, 05:21
I've been in there a couple dozen times and have had nothing but pleasant experiences. There prices are pretty high though, so I've only bought accessories there. Loftis just down the street is probably my favorite shop in the area, though.

It may be that he doesn't take me serious, because I'm a young guy... My dad seems to be well liked in there.

I am a fan of loftis though...when the time comes for me to buy my j-frame, I'm about 98% sure I'll pick it up at loftis.

Dean
09-22-2008, 06:45
If a store treats you bad, take your business elsewhere. That's what I would do.
When he asked about the magazines I would have said "I'm sorry" and sat them on the counter and walked out. Companies'll be happy to send you all that stuff.
When you go by there in the future, just smile to yourself and keep moving on past. Deny them your patronage. It's a pretty good feeling.

Jwhargrove
09-22-2008, 22:55
Vote with your wallet.
I re-read the original post. When he stepped away from the donut eating group and said rudely that he was the one who spoke to you, you shouldnt have quickly apologized. It's too bad that nice people dont expect that kind of behavior so we they are most likely trying to analyze the situation to determine what is happening before we can respond.
Unless you are cocked and ready to be a jerk when you wake up in the morning or know before hand what to possibly expect in there.

I will throw out another excuse. He is trying to buy into a popular donut chain and was meeting with investors and the chain sponsor. They were testing products when this customer demanded his attention.

tlpd242h
09-27-2008, 19:09
It seems that there are two types of store owners, those who enjoy guns and the sport of shooting, and those who get paid by the hour. We have ONE law enforcement glock dealer in the state and it happens to be a 3 hour drive from where I live. I have had the same type of experiences there many times, but have always found the employee very nice when the store manager happens to be in the store. I think the best way to handle that type of issue is to contact the manufacturer and let them know what is going on. I called my regional Glock rep and reported the incident that I had and got a phone call from the store manager telling me that he appreciated my business and that the employee would be dealt with. The price of guns these days is bad enough, without having a#$ hole salesmen make your experience just that much harder. As a firearms dealer, I apologize to you also for your bad experience.

Jwhargrove
09-27-2008, 19:53
Good post TLPD242H.

Ferox_Rex
10-16-2008, 12:34
Man, I can't believe all the negative posts about Steve. Wait... I was in his shop recently and I can TOTALLY believe what is being said here. Reading bbeach's initial post was like reading an account of my own ecperience at EDI Plus. Steve is the most abrasive person I've ever met. He's unprofessional in the extreme and his store is an organization nightmare. I don't like being treated like I'm somehow annoying a storekeeper for entering his shop with money ready to spend. I will never subject myself to entering his store again, and if anyone asks my advice on where to purchase guns and/or accessories, his store will not be one that I recommend. I would pay more for better customer service... period.

Marshhawk
02-16-2009, 21:19
Well I had an interesting discussion in one shop I have bought a couple guns from. Last year before any Ruger LCPs were available I was looking for a Keltec. The store I went to is in Lomira ,Wisconsin.There are two of them there and its the bigger one. Anyway I ask if they have keltecs. I am told by one of the employess who is also an NRA pistol instructor" We don't carry them they are gang banger guns" I said I guess it depends on who is pulling the ********** trigger.I am not a Police Officer but have been a Correctional Officer for 18 years. I had taken a class with this individual several years before when it looked like we may get CCW here in Wisconsin. He then proceeded to tell me what did I tell you in class" relaibility.reliability,reliability. I said well I would rather have the keltec then throw rocks at the bad guy. I guess he thinks since I took a class with him.I must assume he walks on water.

Last Saturday morning I called around to various gun shops looking for a Springfield XD 45 compact. They ended up being 60 dollars cheaper then the next cheapest. I asked them to hold it for me which they did. I go into the shop with my Ruger LCP hat on)that I got from the recall) and I am standing at the counter. GODS gift to shooting starts with another customer about the LCP being a not so hot gun. This discussion started after he saw my hat. No I am not paranoid:) LOL After about a 30 second bs session about the LCP. I basically told him that at least it is very concealable and reliable and when out of state I can carry it with my FLA non resident ccw permit. . He is a 1911 snob and does have some nice weapons but why be an ahole?

So money being what it is I buy the gun. The 13 round mag is supposed to have a black spacer on it to fill in over the mag to make the grip longer. There is no spacer. I figured oh well I will deal with it when I pick it up.

I go in today to pick it up. The store manager was very helpful. He even called the SA rep and was having one sent( spacer)I asked about the mag and he said that so and so( gun snob) said that is the way they are all being shipped. I asked if they had anymore and was told that(gunsnob) said it was the last one.

Well several minutes later I am walking around the counter and lo and behold theres another springfield xd 45 compact box. I said can I look at it. The gun snob says theres no gun in it.I said thats fine.

Well guess what theres a 13 rounder with the spacer. I said thats cool I will take that one and proceed to hand him the 13 rounder without the spacer. I was told I can't do that. I was dumbfounded. I said you told me they all shipped without them but theres one right there.I would like it so I don't have to drive 30 miles one way back here for a piece of plastic. I can't do it? Why not? We don't rob peter to pay paul. I said listen I paid for the gun,its supposed to be a 13 rounder with the spacer. Again I was denied,Well the store manager comes around the counter and I said does this make any sense to you and he proceeds to overrule gun snob and I walk out with what I paid for without having to come back again.

I know some of this may be trivial to some of you but I am a huge believer in customer service.Its just a SH**** ATTITUDE to have towards people who are paying the bills.

If the difference would have not been so much between the other shops I would have told him to stick it up his keester.

60 bucks is 60 bucks and the normal shop I buy from had none and his distributors had none so I was forced to look elsewhere.

I am done with them. The store Manager was very cool and understood customer service. He was the high point of the day.If not for him I would have had a serious piss fit in there.

Now before anyone thinks I am a sh** stirrer I get along well with the vast majority of people I meet.

Bill

faawrenchbndr
02-26-2009, 18:45

Figures that would be your comment.

watsoncb
02-28-2009, 20:35
I guess that just because someone acts like a jerk, talks like a jerk and treats their customers like a jerk, they may not be one. :faint:

Yrdawg
03-03-2009, 18:28

B. Shoot your wife

C. Gather more info

These are the ONLY choices ??? Fo real ???

:dunno:

dixie_normus
05-28-2009, 01:09
Oops.

dixie_normus
05-28-2009, 01:56
Yeah, I had a run-in with this guy about 25 years ago when I was in high school. It seemed to be another boring Friday night, with five teens in a Toyota, with a 1.2 liter motor and two cartons of eggs. So what do you think happened when the first car we saw got pelted with eggs? Well lets just say Steve and his Volvo turned around and was closing fast. We knew him from the convenience store where he worked; yeah, he had the same attitude at that place too. So we tucked our tails between our legs taking side streets to trying lose him, when we all heard POP POP, "OH SHOT! HE'S SHOOTING AT US!" We were speeding, hoping to see one of Springfield's finest, they are never around when you want them. So were going East on Battlefield, jump a curb into Freemont Center. "GO FASTER! HE'S CATCHING UP!" We were doing 40 mph in the parking lot as he pulls up beside us, pointing his firearm at us at the same time. The driver slams on the brakes, grr-rrinds the little Toyota's manual transmission into reverse, but not before Steve got out of his Volvo reaching inside the drivers window. Now we have a rider with one hand on the steering wheel and the other pointing an autoloader at the drivers head. I was in the passenger seat and had a perfect angle for my fist and his nose to meet. Glad I didn't do it, we would have gone to someones funeral in the next couple of days if I had. So now we are traveling in reverse, the driver tries to turn the car around like you see in the movies. The car stalls....were BUSTED! We are all ordered out of the car, :rant: while this loose cannon is pointing his firearm at five teenagers in the parking lot. Luckily my friend knew the guy well enough to diffuse the situation. We were to wash his car and give this guy enough money to buy a new pair of tennis shoes. The asphalt wore a hole in them as he was dragged by the car in reverse. The moral of the story: Do not race a Volvo in a Toyota. P.S. I know our actions could have gotten someone hurt. So could his. I believe him when he said he was shooting at our tires.

faawrenchbndr
05-28-2009, 05:22
So,.... 25 years ago you were a egg tossin punk and you want to whine about him?!
Not sure I would have pulled a gun, dut, I can understand his disgust with you!

Now,.... back to Steve bashing.
Google his shop, call his phone number, he actually seems bother ed to make a answering machine message.

He's on holiday until 2 June?!

dixie_normus
05-28-2009, 22:27
[quote=faawrenchbndr;13050756]So,.... 25 years ago you were a egg tossin punk and you want to whine about him?!
Not sure I would have pulled a gun, dut, I can understand his disgust with you!

Well my title is somewhat misleading. I've spoken to him in person a few times since then; same attitude, no personal 'disgust' towards me. I make myself guilty by association, for being the car and knowing our intentions. Only four persons in the car threw eggs, guess who did not 'toss' an egg at Steve's Volvo? Yeah, ME. My targets were road signs. So faawrenchbndr, take your misdirected animosity elsewhere, like.......
Now,.... back to Steve bashing.
Google his shop, call his phone number, he actually seems bother ed to make a answering machine message.

He's on holiday until 2 June?! ..................................................................Thanks for playing.

as400guy1
05-28-2009, 23:12

Sounds as though "Steve" or one of his cronies might be doing some damage control......

as400guy1
05-28-2009, 23:15

Retort: "Actually, last year at the Arkansas state fair I had fried poop on a stick, and it was actually pretty tastey!":rofl:
Ohhhh! So THAT what it was!

Reignman
05-29-2009, 10:09
Sounds like another Gun store owner that needs an unlimited tampon supply...

nwsalmon
06-06-2009, 08:50
I just read an article in "American Handgunner" last night that is very similar to this situation. I too have encountered rude sales people, and not just in gun stores.

My method of solving that type of episode is to carry my hard earned $ elsewhere.

Anyway, for those interested read this article:

http://fmgpublications.ipaperus.com/FMGPublications/AmericanHandgunner/AHJA09/?page=106

Be sure to click enlarge, it's impossible to read otherwise.

I'm going to employ the methods outlined in the article. Especially in times like this it's a good idea to get as many people as possible involved in the sport I love. The last thing I want to do is alienate someone with the same passion for guns that I have.

Bengel
06-10-2009, 22:10
Steve was a total jerk to me and I made up my mind I would never go back to his store. He puts his brochures by the door so you might pick one up on the way out. Watch out, because then he will announce very loudly that those are for his benefit and not yours. Then when you try to put it back he insists on you taking it after he has embarrased you in front of all the other customers. Instead of walking out like I should have, I told him he shouldn't put the brochures by the door and make them look free if they are not. He started arguing with me and by this time I was really upset and embarrased so I just asked him if he wanted to take it outside. He backed down pretty quick, and I vowed never to go back. It seems like he is just by nature a jerk.

smitty81
06-11-2009, 07:37
Steve was a total jerk to me and I made up my mind I would never go back to his store. He puts his brochures by the door so you might pick one up on the way out. Watch out, because then he will announce very loudly that those are for his benefit and not yours. Then when you try to put it back he insists on you taking it after he has embarrased you in front of all the other customers. Instead of walking out like I should have, I told him he shouldn't put the brochures by the door and make them look free if they are not. He started arguing with me and by this time I was really upset and embarrased so I just asked him if he wanted to take it outside. He backed down pretty quick, and I vowed never to go back. It seems like he is just by nature a jerk.

Better Buisness Bearu

Steve in Az
06-16-2009, 16:46
Sounds like he don't need your money. Shop elsewhere. I don't put up with the "cantankurous gunsmith" crap.

DocBlackAdder
07-14-2009, 15:07
I just found this forum when I was searching for the business hours for Steve's shop and felt I should throw in my two cents. (skip this message if you really don't care about my opinion.) (and by the way, I'm not Steve or one of the guys that always hang out in his store either.)

I've been a customer at Steve's for about 5 years now, but in that time I've only gone into his store maybe 15 times. Lately, there's been a gap of a couple of years time between visits because I'm trying to cut down on spending so much on new guns.

Steve IS rude. He's an a**hole. He knows it and admits it, I've heard him say it to me before. That's nothing. I have to work with people like that every day that are worse than he is. Do you remember the Soup Nazi from Seinfeld? That is basically what Steve is, except with guns. But I saw an interview with the chef that the Seinfeld writers based the Soup Nazi character on, and in that interview he said, "I don't have time to waste on people who don't know what they want. Come in, pay, get your soup, and get out so I can help someone else." That's pretty much what Steve is like. Most of the times that I have bought guns from him went something like this: I go in, when he's free I tell him what I want, leave a $100 deposit, a few weeks go by and then he calls me up and tells me to come get my gun. Simple. If you go in there and ask him the difference between a .38 Special and a .380 ACP, unless you are a girl, he'll go help someone else who knows what they want before they walked in the store. Some customers don't like this. I do because getting at least a 10% lower price than any other gun store in town allows me to put up with people like that. (that's $100 less for a $1000 gun!) One gun I bought for about $500 dollars he sold to me for around $75 less than a couple of other places in Springfield wanted for it. Now if I had money to burn or had a bigger ego, I probably wouldn't shop there. He also has told me before (after he couldn't get a gun I was trying to order) that I could order it from the manufacturer and have it shipped to him and he wouldn't charge me any transer fee. I've never had a gun store accept a transfer without getting at least $20 for it.

I wouldn't recommend calling him on the phone. It took me about 3 times to learn that it's a waste of time to try to talk to him on the phone. One time he even just said, "Come on down here and we'll talk about it" when I asked him the price for something. Most of the time I think people just end up getting confused after trying to have a phone conversation with him.

Steve has always seemed to me to be someone who does his business because he enjoys it and it's a tax-deductible hobby. I don't think he needs income from it (I don't know if this is true or not.)
If he gets enough to pay the rent, he really doesn't need any more customers that month, so why work that hard to sell to people? If I didn't need money, I would definitely want to see fewer people at my office also.

As for the other gun stores in the area:
Doc Holliday's in Ozark: excellent, low prices for special orders, but keep in mind that it is primarily a pawn shop. I've got nothing bad to say about them other than it is hard to get in touch with the owner when you need him.
Cherokee Firearms in Springfield : Very friendly, good prices, but the entire store is smaller than most people's bedrooms. Probably wouldn't mind ordering stuff for you, though.
Bass Prop Shops in Springfield: Good service, HUGE selection, HUGE prices (at least it was like that the last time I went in about 2 years ago.)

Over in Joplin there was a place called Steve's Trading Post (different Steve). I bought a safe and a couple of guns from him before and he's got a great store. BIG selection. Prices were a bit higher than a lot of places, but I really did like that store.

mohunter
07-17-2009, 11:01
I'm new here and I'm also from Mo. as you can tell by my user name.
I totally understand the feeling of the scenario you are describing. One of my local shops here in SE Mo. kind of treated me the same way the first time I went in there. Though I wasn't necessarily treated "rude" I got the impression that they thought I was just another "green horn" that they would have to baby sit and answer a bunch of questions for throughout the store. Until I started talking reloading, powders, pet loads, and component availability with a couple of older gentlemen customers, then they were all ears. After shootin the reloading bull with these two gents for about 5 min. I noticed 3 of the guys who worked there at the end of the aisle eavesdropping on our conversation. Before I left the store I had all 3 of them gathered around me asking questions.
Now who's the customer and who's the employee?;)
I guess they decided that I did know a little something about the craft? Never assume that a person is an idiot until proven otherwise. I treat everybody the same unless they show me that they don't deserve my respect, which happens very rarely.
Next time you get treated unfairly, or treated like you don't have a clue, just start speaking their language and use it against them. Dazzle them with brilliance and you would be surprised how quickly they will come around.:supergrin:
As for Steve, I've seen his kind before and I tend to steer clear of those type of people. Mainly because I don't deal well with conflict (if you know what I mean?) and there is absolutely no reason whatsoever to expose yourself to that type of demeaning experience. Just walk away and spend your money with people who appreciate it!

mohunter
07-17-2009, 11:23
to DocBlackAdder:
I just bought a Glock 20 from a gun shop that I had never been to before, and it was just like the Cherokee Firearms you mentioned. Small store about the size of your living room, hardly any guns for sale in the shop, very little inventory, but a super friendly guy and the cheapest that I could find on this pistol. He was a full 65$-$80 cheaper than the next best price! I told him what I wanted, he checked his availability, and said yep I can get it. I paid my money and the Glock 20 was there the next Thursday which is when they deliver. Same Glock as everybody else's, but a whole lot cheaper. He told me that he makes $25 bucks over cost, and I can believe that. I don't mind giving him a plug either.
T&S Outdoors in Potosi, Mo. -573-438-6443 the owner's name is Tony. Super nice guy.

solomansousana
07-17-2009, 12:51
There is one gunshop around here that has employee's similar. I think you should gather a bunch of your friends and picket that dealer, on public property of course, and make it clear to anyone watching, why your picketing this looser. I don't care if he is a gun dealer, he had no right to treat a customer in the manner he treated you and I would make it my new pet project to let all his potential customers know how he treats customers.

I once had a similar experience at McDonalds, I purchased a 10 pc chicken nugget with fries and a coke after finishing a 12 hour long shift at the ER. The nuggets were all stiff as cardboard and all I can say is that the dehydrated pork patty in an MRE would taste better dry than these nuggets did. I went to the counter and asked for the manager and some girl came up with her shirt hanging out of the pants, dirty to boot and said yeah what's the problem? I told her and she said thats all they had take it or throw em away.

I got her name, store number and wrote McDonalds a very long letter explaining what happened and that I would also inform all hospital employee's via the payday newsletter to avoid this McDonalds at all costs, I then proceeded to picket, on public property, this McDonalds, with a nice big sign letting people know that if your food was awefull how they'd treat you when you tried to get decent food.

The store manager came out and informed me he'd called the cops and that he'd charge me with slander, like I was worried lol. PD arrived and after talking to me informed the manager I was on public property, the sidewalk, and that they could do nothing. I was there for 3 days in a row before I got an answer back from corporate saying how sorry they were about my treatment and the lousy food and enclosed were $20 in McCoupons, on the 4th day picketing the manager came out and informed me that the employee, who happened to be the assistant manager had been demoted back to line and offered me more McCoupons to stop picketing.

My entire goal was either her firing or demotion, the McCoupons from Corporate and the store I gave to the kids cafe, an after school place for kids who's parents aren't at home after school due to work.

aglocker1911
07-17-2009, 13:21
If you actually spent four days of your life picketing because of McNuggets, you must not have a life. Restaruant or gunshop, i don't care how they treat me as long as I get what i want from them. And it doesn't matter if they have the best customer service in the world if they dont have the product/price. Get a thicker skin and you'll get along better in today's world.

solomansousana
07-18-2009, 10:40
If you actually spent four days of your life picketing because of McNuggets, you must not have a life. Restaruant or gunshop, i don't care how they treat me as long as I get what i want from them. And it doesn't matter if they have the best customer service in the world if they dont have the product/price. Get a thicker skin and you'll get along better in today's world.

I actually have a great life, I'm an RN married and the wife is an MD, getting ready to move into a house we both custom designed and had built. It's the principle behind it all. You, it seems don't mind if people walk all over you, and that's fine, if it suits you in your life. Working as an ER nurse, I do indeed have a thick skin, having to deal with all sorts coming in for treatment who all think they are dying and need to be treated right away, and when they aren't, well, you get the idea, at least I hope you do anyway.

I for one refuse to go through life letting anyone walk over me.

paul1973
07-18-2009, 10:54
Aww, this year and half old thread brings back memories..

RichardB
07-18-2009, 14:25
"My entire goal was either her firing or demotion"

Very Macho, picking on a minimum wage employee. I have censored the rest of my thoughts.

solomansousana
07-19-2009, 11:24
"My entire goal was either her firing or demotion"

Very Macho, picking on a minimum wage employee. I have censored the rest of my thoughts.

Oh mercy me, you've censored your thoughts................

Minimum wage, or high wage earner, BOTH should take pride in their work, their actions reflect both on them and the company they work for, I don't care if your picking beets at a farm, do it to the best of your ability and don't ***** about it. If you don't like the job, either go back to school or get another job, but you should do the job you have to your utmost.

That's the problem in this country now, no one wants to work hard at their job. I started out in the Navy out of high school then went on to do my compulsory service in my second country, then back here I went back to school and obtained both an Associates degree along with my LPN licensure, and after working as an LPN I went back to school an obtained my Masters of Science Nursing degree. I do remember back when I was 16, I worked Dairy Queen, and I gave it the best I had, always with a smile, never once letting a bad day carry on to the customer.

Blitzer
07-19-2009, 13:28
There is one gunshop around here that has employee's similar. I think you should gather a bunch of your friends and picket that dealer, on public property of course, and make it clear to anyone watching, why your picketing this looser. I don't care if he is a gun dealer, he had no right to treat a customer in the manner he treated you and I would make it my new pet project to let all his potential customers know how he treats customers.

I once had a similar experience at McDonalds, I purchased a 10 pc chicken nugget with fries and a coke after finishing a 12 hour long shift at the ER. The nuggets were all stiff as cardboard and all I can say is that the dehydrated pork patty in an MRE would taste better dry than these nuggets did. I went to the counter and asked for the manager and some girl came up with her shirt hanging out of the pants, dirty to boot and said yeah what's the problem? I told her and she said thats all they had take it or throw em away.

I got her name, store number and wrote McDonalds a very long letter explaining what happened and that I would also inform all hospital employee's via the payday newsletter to avoid this McDonalds at all costs, I then proceeded to picket, on public property, this McDonalds, with a nice big sign letting people know that if your food was awefull how they'd treat you when you tried to get decent food.

The store manager came out and informed me he'd called the cops and that he'd charge me with slander, like I was worried lol. PD arrived and after talking to me informed the manager I was on public property, the sidewalk, and that they could do nothing. I was there for 3 days in a row before I got an answer back from corporate saying how sorry they were about my treatment and the lousy food and enclosed were $20 in McCoupons, on the 4th day picketing the manager came out and informed me that the employee, who happened to be the assistant manager had been demoted back to line and offered me more McCoupons to stop picketing.

My entire goal was either her firing or demotion, the McCoupons from Corporate and the store I gave to the kids cafe, an after school place for kids who's parents aren't at home after school due to work.

Ass hats need put in their place, minimum wage or not. ;)

DocBlackAdder
07-24-2009, 11:12
Ass hats need put in their place, minimum wage or not. ;)

I agree. If you are an employee and you treat the customer unfairly, you should start looking for another job, because you may not last long at your current one. Sometimes it takes someone picketing for the true owners of the company to know what's going on in their store.

Kind of like the growing dissatisfaction with our current "president/saviour" of the United States. Many people don't notice huge financial demands being made of them (deficit spending, higher taxes, higher inflation) unless other people shout loudly enough about it.

Now if the person you had a problem with is the owner of a company, like Steve, all you can really do is shop somewhere else unless you were cheated out of money and can take him to court. Picketing wouldn't really accomplish anything because it only makes a difference if the bystanders who see you picketing are potential customers of the business. The bigger the business, the more people you affect by being out there. Steve's place is out on the edge of town and not very much traffic goes on that dirt road.

DocBlackAdder
07-24-2009, 11:13
Oh mercy me, you've censored your thoughts................

That's the problem in this country now, no one wants to work hard at their job. I started out in the Navy out of high school then went on to do my compulsory service in my second country, then back here I went back to school and obtained both an Associates degree along with my LPN licensure, and after working as an LPN I went back to school an obtained my Masters of Science Nursing degree. I do remember back when I was 16, I worked Dairy Queen, and I gave it the best I had, always with a smile, never once letting a bad day carry on to the customer.

Were you really in the Golani Brigade?

GUN NUT
12-08-2009, 09:19
I will admit to being a Steve Chronie. I will also say that over the last 10 years of doing business with him, he has proven to be a GREAT FRIEND.
Most of what you have heard in these posts is true. Some of the days some of the time. But I can say from years of experience, that your talking about a guy that would do ANYTHING for a friend.
I have seen him go above and beyond for customers just walking in off the street. He doesn't need tire kickers. But if your serious, and can wait for your turn. He will spend more one on one time with you than I've ever seen any dealer do with anyone.
To each his own. I know that there are alot of people out there that don't like the gun Nazi Steve. Over all I would say its their loss. He has been in business for a long time, and this thread will not make or brake him. For the buyers (not lookers) know where to go for the best deals.

Shane Rogers
Greene County Sheriff's Office

Elmer Fudd
12-08-2009, 09:21
I think gun stores, as a group, are the worst retail experience in America, bar none.

jetdefiant
12-08-2009, 09:43
This is the great thing about this country. No one forces us to shop with people who act like A-holes. Could they be a good person? Sure. Could they be the best of friends to people he knows? Sure. But when doing business, being a people person goes a long way.

Treat me with respect and I'll be more likely to give/continue giving you my business. Treat me like an A-hole and I'm perfectly free to let people know of my experiences in your business. Being polite goes a LONG way. Do you have to be polite? No. Thats the other beauty of freedom. You are free to be a jerk while doing business, you just can't complain when word gets out and your business suffers (actually you can complain as this is a free country, itll just fall on deaf ears)

KinderGlocken
12-08-2009, 10:27
Couple quick bad stories:

Jims' Pawn & Gun in Fayet-nam: Had absolutely horrible help behind the counter in the '80's and when I tried them again in the '90's. They were running mouth know-it-all's and you'd be lucky to even get a word out. Before you could finish a question they'd tell you what you really needed or wanted. Haven't been back since.

Went into a well-known gun shop just the other day here in Tidewater, VA. The sales dude immediately started bad mouthing the gun and manufacturer I asked about but without anything to back it up. After handling the gun I left. Went to the gun show Saturday (in the same town) and bought that gun from a dealer who was interested in selling one. At a significantly lower price I might add!

Good story: Want to deal with someone who is great? Ed's Gun Shop in Vass NC. I've known him since I drove a Pepsi truck (early 1990's) when his store was still in Southern Pines. He's always been one to listen to you then help you out. Good prices too.

I live down the road from Ed's, do all my business with him. Good store with great prices! I feel the same about Jim's. Jim tried to lobby against gun shows years ago because he didn't want to compete with them. I was told he is the reason that no reloading stuff is sold at the Fayetteville shows.

Carry16
02-03-2010, 22:35
Just happened onto this thread - and man it's along one ;-)

I too am a customer of Steve's (EDI+). It is easy to get off on the wrong foot with Steve which is a shame. He is a fair and honorable businessman. He has the BEST prices in the area. Post #161 above pretty much sums up my experience with Steve. I can tell you I bought a NIB RRA AR15 from him for $100 less than I could at any other store in the area. Steve tries to deal direct with as many manufacturers as possible and I think that's the reason he has such great prices.

Steve also has a "fun shoot" the last day of the year at a local private range for all his customers. This is not a cheap event - the food is superb and there's tons of it.

I think the biggest thing with Steve is he isn't much interested in tire kickers or someone who wants to debate the benefit of one caliber over another. He likes to limit his clients to people who have done their homework and come in ready to place an order or buy. He will stand behind the product, give you the best price around and be a good friend once he knows you.

My suggestion is to do all your shopping around before you go to EDI+. If you really are ready to buy and you know what the item costs at the other places you will be happy you went to EDI+.

paul1973
02-04-2010, 10:59

I too am a customer of Steve's (EDI+). It is easy to get off on the wrong foot with Steve which is a shame. He is a fair and honorable businessman. He has the BEST prices in the area. Post #161 above pretty much sums up my experience with Steve. I can tell you I bought a NIB RRA AR15 from him for $100 less than I could at any other store in the area. Steve tries to deal direct with as many manufacturers as possible and I think that's the reason he has such great prices.

Steve also has a "fun shoot" the last day of the year at a local private range for all his customers. This is not a cheap event - the food is superb and there's tons of it.

I think the biggest thing with Steve is he isn't much interested in tire kickers or someone who wants to debate the benefit of one caliber over another. He likes to limit his clients to people who have done their homework and come in ready to place an order or buy. He will stand behind the product, give you the best price around and be a good friend once he knows you.

My suggestion is to do all your shopping around before you go to EDI+. If you really are ready to buy and you know what the item costs at the other places you will be happy you went to EDI+. Tire kickers are part of the buisness, sounds like this guy is a *********!

Pete14
02-04-2010, 11:34
Nixa has an estimated population of 15,000 and it seems like we have heard from approx. 10,000 of them!

TangoFoxtrot
02-09-2010, 19:30

bbeach, You are certainly more of a gentlemen than I would have been . I would have taken those brochures and told him to cram them in his ***! Anyway this seems to be a common attitude with some shop owners "even " in a bad economy. Remember this my friend your money is good anywhere and you need to remind these fools when they cop an attitude. I had something simular to your incident happen to me about 10 years ago. I had 12G cash money to spent on a used car purchase, the salesmen jerked me around so bad I went across the street to their competitor and made my purchase. WOW where they pizzed off! I kinda rubbed their nose in it to boot. I told them your rude and annoying salesman cost you the sale, suck it up and straighten out your staff...oh well!

Glockster84
02-09-2010, 19:40
wata jerk off,proley has a small ***** and drives a iroc camero.

llanero
04-05-2010, 10:25
Ahh, the "gun nazi". If you go into EDI, or "Steve's", and know what you want and give him the money for it, you're GTG. Anything else, especially when he's around his buddies, well...trust me on this one, the OP ain't exaggerating.

ETA, I can't believe I wasted my first post on this. (sigh).

gatorhugger
04-08-2010, 01:32

If it's so easy to get off on the wrong foot with Steve, then Everything you said is a contradiction. It is not a shame. If it's easy to piss steve off, annoy steve, easy for steve to be an Ahole, easy for steve to treat people like garbage, then the only thing that is a shame is that steveo doesn't get run over in his parking lot someday.
I don't know Steve personally, but have met the likes of him all over.
Arrogant, know it all, judgemental, and thinks he is doing YOU a favor by his mere existance.
We all know Steves, and we hate them.

sailor38
04-16-2010, 18:16
Grow some b*lls guys! Steve runs a gunshop, not a day spa!

I've been a customer of Steve's for 10+ years. The whole process is simple when dealing with Steve. Decide what you want, do some research so you're not completely ignorant, tell him what you're looking for and he will get it at the best price. The first couple of years I dealt with him, I checked with other gun dealers but realized he always had the best price so now I don't even bother...plus I don't particularly want to buy a gun from a pawn shop or jewelry store.

I can tell you Steve does take guns and his job seriously...he's an extremely knowledgeable and responsible gun dealer and probably isn't interested in selling a gun to every Joe Blow off the streets. I know I don't want a bunch of yay-who's (who have absolutely no clue) running around with a gun! These are the people who give guns a bad name.

If these are his only dissatisfied customers with the amount of business he does, I would say he must be doing something right.

Bottom line...be informed about what you're looking for...go in and tell him what you want...and you will walk out a satisfied customer.

Kentucky Shooter
04-16-2010, 18:27
After an experience like that I would be more inclined to tell Steve to
kiss :moonie:

However, giving him the benefit of the doubt, maybe he does not mean to come across that way----some people, once you know how to take them, are a little easier to deal with. Hard to figure a guy making it in the business world with that disposition though. His prices would have to be mighty damn good for me to put up with that............

Sheepdog Scout
04-16-2010, 18:30

I've been a customer of Steve's for 10+ years. The whole process is simple when dealing with Steve. Decide what you want, do some research so you're not completely ignorant, tell him what you're looking for and he will get it at the best price. The first couple of years I dealt with him, I checked with other gun dealers but realized he always had the best price so now I don't even bother...plus I don't particularly want to buy a gun from a pawn shop or jewelry store.

I can tell you Steve does take guns and his job seriously...he's an extremely knowledgeable and responsible gun dealer and probably isn't interested in selling a gun to every Joe Blow off the streets. I know I don't want a bunch of yay-who's (who have absolutely no clue) running around with a gun! These are the people who give guns a bad name.

If these are his only dissatisfied customers with the amount of business he does, I would say he must be doing something right.

Bottom line...be informed about what you're looking for...go in and tell him what you want...and you will walk out a satisfied customer.

I live no where near this "awesome" :rofl: gunshop. But let me guess YOU'RE Steve, or wanna be with Steve.:rofl:

brausso
04-16-2010, 18:49

Seriously?? Since when does owning a gun shop give you the right to be an F'n ******** to your customers? I'd rather pay $100 more elsewhere to get good service. I am self employed so I know what it's like to bust my ass off and provide the best service I can for my clients. If I treated people that way, I wouldn't be in business for long.

Growing balls has nothing to do with it. How about grow a brain and learn how to properly run a business.

Kentucky Shooter
04-16-2010, 21:43
.......a responsible gun dealer and probably isn't interested in selling a gun to every Joe Blow off the streets. I know I don't want a bunch of yay-who's (who have absolutely no clue) running around with a gun! These are the people who give guns a bad name...........

So in a matter of minutes he can size up a complete stranger and decide if they are a "yay-who" not fit to own and manage a gun? :rofl:Sorry, but if you are in business to sell guns and the customer is a legal buyer with the money in hand, you better be prepared to sell it to him. Unless a person has lost his basic right to own a gun by being a convicted felon, etc... the second amendment applies to us all.

Elmer Fudd
04-16-2010, 22:57
Gunstores ... a 19th century retail experience in a 21st century world.

rfenster
04-16-2010, 23:20
Ahh, the "gun nazi". If you go into EDI, or "Steve's", and know what you want and give him the money for it, you're GTG. Anything else, especially when he's around his buddies, well...trust me on this one, the OP ain't exaggerating.

ETA, I can't believe I wasted my first post on this. (sigh).

No guns for you! Come back ONE YEAR!

Freelance OUT!

RichardB
04-17-2010, 07:14
The guy stays in business which may indicate he has his act together. From personal experience I know the prospective customer is not always right. He seems to be able to separate the time wasting sightseers from those who actually lay their money down and support the store.

How many times have you wanted to look at something but had to wait while the clerk allows a previous "customer" to hold everything in the gun case, and then walk out without a purchase?

Maybe some of these folks should buy something there and become customers perhaps the attitude will change.

majette
04-17-2010, 08:15
just throwing my 2 cents in about a local to me store, Ron Hess, in norfolk, va. i had not been in there in over ten years because the owner has a reputation for being rude and a jerk. i was next door meeting my daughter and i figured i would see what he had i might be interested in. i walked in and the owner was not there, someone else was behind the counter. he was pleasant and asked what i was looking for. i asked what he had in hk pistols in 9mm. he said i dont have any hk but i have some jiminez 9mm's over in that case. now, most of his customers may not spend a lot of money and may be predisposed to inexpensive firearms but if someone comes in asking about hk i dont think they would look at a jiminez. prices were way too high anyhow, i said thank you and left.

powder86
04-24-2010, 01:00
the glock 27 is .40 cal... so why would he even mention the GAP and 10mm? crazy homeless people.

Grrrr
04-28-2010, 12:59

Maybe it's a gun shop and people want to go in and check out several different models. Research only goes so far. Sometimes you want to put your hands on them. Maybe it's not up to steve to decide who he feels should or shouldn't own a gun. Maybe with his arrogant demeanor he shouldn't have one. Doesn't make much sense does it. Maybe you will get the same experience when you go buy a car....no asking questions, no test drives. Just do research and buy it and hopefully the salesman will do a good job of deciding whether or not you qualify to own it.

HoldHard
04-28-2010, 14:30
Gun Store 1 - Michi-Gun - St. Clair Shores, Michigan

Am looking for Hornady Critical Defense ammunition in .45 ACP. Check the Hornady website and find Michi-Gun is a stocking dealer. Now I've been in this store before and been treated like I had leprosy when I asked if they had anything in the AR15 family of rifles. To be on the safe side, I call them about the ammo and they say they have it in stock. Drive 45 minutes to the store. I ask for 5 boxes (at $26.95 for a 20 round box) and the guy shouts a question to the owner, Bob "This guy wants 5 boxes of Critical Defense. Can I sell it to him?"

"No" comes the response. Bob then launches into a very loud explaination (so all the other customers will completely understand) that he can only sell one box of that ammunition to me. He needs it for his other customers that will be buying guns.

First impression was bad. Thinking that he might have gained some customer relationship skills since that visit, but instead found the second chance was a total waste of time.

While walking to the door, I ask myself "Why, oh why did I ever come back in this place. It'll never change."

Gun Store 2 - Double Action - Madison Heights Michigan

A while back, when watching the show 60 Minutes, they were doing an article on Winchester Black Talon ammunition and how bad these bullets were. I got the impression that any gun that was loaded with them was so deadly that just waiving the muzzle at a bad guy, it would cause them to fall down dead.

Realizing that this was negative advertising for Winchester and what they might do to fight this marketing problem, I jump in the car and head over to Double Action. I ask if I can buy some Black Talon in .45 ACP. The reply: "Sure, how many do you want?" "How many do you have?" I ask. "17 boxes on the shelf. You want them all?" Sure, ring 'em up.

I stopped in there recently and asked if they would put an order in for Hornady Critical Defense ammo in .45 ACP. I'll wait until it arrives.

Where would you do business?

HH

BOGE
04-28-2010, 15:45
..."This guy wants 5 boxes of Critical Defense. Can I sell it to him?"

"No" comes the response. Bob then launches into a very loud explaination (so all the other customers will completely understand) that he can only sell one box of that ammunition to me. He needs it for his other customers that will be buying guns...

..."17 boxes on the shelf. You want them all?" Sure, ring 'em up...

Firstly, there are many people who refuse to buy a new gun if the dealer has no ammo in stock. Sounds stupid but it´s very true. Secondly, unless you´ve been doing missionary work in the Congo for the past two years there is an ammo shortage, hence ¨rationing¨ to stop hoarders such as you. All clear? :wavey:

BlayGlock
04-28-2010, 16:34
Gunstores ... a 19th century retail experience in a 21st century world.

Its funny because its true. If I go into a gun shop and I am not treated with a modicum of civility and respect I do not go in there.

Glock 17L
04-28-2010, 17:40
I think we've all been in gun shops were the people working there are idiots but being they work in a "Gun Store" There Gurus..
If anyone ever acted rude to to me like the OP I would ask them if they wanna step outside..
Remember I'm not going back there again anyway..
I'd also bet if the "Owner" of the shop knew that this "Prick" acted this way to you & that you've posted it on several forums about them it may have cost him plenty..
Besides guys to work in gun stores are a dime a dozen & make maybe $8 an hour..
If I were the owner I'd offer you a free P22 magazine or two & tell you that he fired him & that he won't be drawing unemployment..

Grrrr
04-28-2010, 18:21
Firstly, there are many people who refuse to buy a new gun if the dealer has no ammo in stock. Sounds stupid but it´s very true. Secondly, unless you´ve been doing missionary work in the Congo for the past two years there is an ammo shortage, hence ¨rationing¨ to stop hoarders such as you. All clear? :wavey:

Ammo shortage?......yes. But a 1 box limit is stupid. I live about 2 minutes from a decent sized gun shop. Because of several of the issues mentioned (rude owners or employees, stingy with sales) I drive 30 minutes away to deal with a smaller shop. Anyhow, when buying sd ammo 1 box does me no good. I want to run several through the gun to try it out and then would like to keep a couple on hand. A limit I get but 1 box is ridiculous.

BOGE
04-28-2010, 18:22
I think we've all been in gun shops were the people working there are idiots but being they work in a "Gun Store" There Gurus..
If anyone ever acted rude to to me like the OP I would ask them if they wanna step outside...

That´s real smart. You´d then probably lose your CCW and go to jail if not worse. :upeyes: Trust me, if a gunshop owner calls the cops on a customer who do you think they´re going to believe, him or ¨Billy Badass¨? :upeyes: If you cannot control your temper better than this then perhaps you need to rethink owning a firearm, Scooter.

branden
08-01-2010, 12:04
Steve has always treated me right and saved me a ton of money.

But I also go in there knowing exactly what I want, and have knowledge on all firearms. I'm not a tire kicking retard looking for Lorcin 25s

He's been in business well over 10 years and makes good money. He's doing something right.

HillBilly1006
10-11-2011, 12:24
Wayne, it is the same Steve, same winning disposition, and same attitude.

trex1310
10-11-2011, 19:46

That could be said about almost every post that makes a statement
about any subject. :yawn:

llanero
05-06-2012, 11:15
Yeah sure Steve, we have all heard this one before :upeyes:
exactly why you have two posts here, and they are in this thread.

Well, then. Maybe I'M Steve!:rofl:

rfenster
05-06-2012, 13:10
Well, then. Maybe I'M Steve!:rofl:

Wow Llanero, I thought that I had a low post count.

Two posts in the same thread, just over two years apart...

<I'll go back to lurking now>

clinttho
05-10-2012, 13:46
I thought the only jerks were in the Bullet Stop in Wichita. That place is just as bad or worst. I used to go there for years but after the current owner bought it, it has gone down hill. The people that work there are rude at best. I spent 20 minutes in there looking at guns in the cases and reloading supplies and the "help" saw me but never asked to help or even cared I was there. I've spent alot of money in that place but never again. The last time I bought a gun from them, they could have cared less. When I finally got someone to wait on me and told them I wanted to buy a gun the reply was," let's see if you can pass a background check", then after it went through he says, "how many more can we sell you". I paid my money and left, never to return. They are not good for the gun industry and salesman there not. I know several people that justed to be long time customers that will never return as well. Good thing Gander Mountian came to town.

Bullet Stop is awful. I had the same type of experience you did. Went on a Friday afternoon looking to get a Glock 30 and couldn't get anyone to let me look at any guns. I then went to bullseye gun store and received false info from a store clerk who literally proclaimed to know it all. I went to cabelas and purchased my gun.

I don't get how these places stay in business. Then again, looking at their prices I guess the poor people that do buy guns there pay a premium.

To be fair, Bullseye does offer a good shooting range and gun rental service. I've had good experiences in there- I just seem to remember the negative ones most.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

IrishRifles
05-19-2012, 10:11

Why not write a letter or send the owner an email. Find out the owners name and attention it to him and tell him the story. Also post it on there facebook page if they have one.

2-8 Marine
05-19-2012, 10:26
Having done business with him for the last 19 years, I can only relate my personal experience with Steve, owns EDI Plus: he sells his wares at a fair price, gives good value for trades, and has gone out of his way to accomodate me when he did not have to do so.

Rarely have I been in his store when he did not have a bunch of customers, with more streaming in the door behind me. I wait my turn, get what I need, and leave satisfied. Steve may seem brutally straightforward to some, but I know him as sincere, honest, and hard-working.

You weren't one of those donut eaters, were you? :rofl:

2-8 Marine
05-19-2012, 10:41
There was a time when I was dealing with a Gun Shop in Eaton, Township, Ohio but one Moron there made it impossible for me to continue. Everyone else at the shop was friendly and very professional, but because of the attitude, arrogance and down right ignorance of this one employee, I haven't entered that gunshop in three years. The owner of this store has three other shops in various locations near Cleveland and Lorain, Ohio and I've been treated wonderfully by the employees at these shops. I believe this points out how ONE bad apple can spoil a business for you.

Fragman
05-19-2012, 11:06
There was a time when I was dealing with a Gun Shop in Eaton, Township, Ohio but one Moron there made it impossible for me to continue. Everyone else at the shop was friendly and very professional, but because of the attitude, arrogance and down right ignorance of this one employee, I haven't entered that gunshop in three years. The owner of this store has three other shops in various locations near Cleveland and Lorain, Ohio and I've been treated wonderfully by the employees at these shops. I believe this points out how ONE bad apple can spoil a business for you.

Did you let the owner know? Its usually the case that if you had a problem with the guy, you're not alone. Therefore the guy is costing the owner business.

I know I would want to know. Then I can investigate and take any appropriate action.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

F350
05-19-2012, 11:31
The instant I read the title I knew you had met "Steve":rofl:

If he were the only person selling gun within 100 mile; I'd drive the 100 miles just so I wouldn't have to deal with the @!!

P.S. to IrishRifles & Frageman, the @hole IS the owner!

2-8 Marine
05-19-2012, 12:19
Did you let the owner know? Its usually the case that if you had a problem with the guy, you're not alone. Therefore the guy is costing the owner business.

I know I would want to know. Then I can investigate and take any appropriate action.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, I did and as of last week I heard the guy is still there.

csoglock17
05-20-2012, 08:21

Eveyone has a bad day, but to me in sounds like he is just not into the buisness anymore (burned out) Maybe did to many Gun Shows :upeyes:.
I would go back and have a talk with him. If he comes off as a real jerk again, then don't go back.
I ses this at some of the firearms stores here in Indiana.
It like some owners just want to sell to you, but do not ask questions.:dunno:

Peace Officer
05-20-2012, 17:46
You guys think you got it bad as far as guns shops are concerned. Here in this hell hole they call the Antelope Valley, CA., we have a total of three guns shops. If you want horrible service, highway robbery prices and a lousy selection then the AV is the place for you! Can't wait to retire and get the hell out of CA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:steamed:

jarubla
05-20-2012, 18:31
i had a bum laught at me in a local shop b/c i wanted to rent a glock 27. then he told me how GAP and 10mm ammo is just stupid. should have asked him what he 'suggested' and returned laughter :rofl:

I see what you did there :)

Or was the bum really that biffed on his model/caliber match up?

-Jay

Firefightermdc
05-20-2012, 18:38
Funny bc I read this while thread today and noticed it was dated 2008, it's awful that you have service in your area like that. I'm not the type of person to take any rudeness w/o getting confrontational so I commend you on your behavior

georgeaberglass
12-31-2012, 12:16
I also had a very bad experience with Steve from EDI.

I called inquiring about a purchase and he hung up on me twice. Steve was incredibly rude, emotionally abusive, and unprofessional.

Later, I was at another gun shop and I heard many stories about how he treats his customers. One shop owner said that he has had women looking for birthday presents for their husbands come in sobbing due to Steve's extreme harshness.

With so many better alternatives, I don't know why anyone would go to EDI Plus.

Edit: My encounter with Steve was recent (past week) so he shows no sign of changing.

4Rules
12-31-2012, 14:30

In large stores, such a response is appropriate. In small stores, however, etiquette demands that we ask permission to browse, rather than being presumptuous. For example: "No thank you. Is it alright is we just look around?"

While browsing the store I picked up three manufacturer brochures; a S&W, Ruger and lastly a Kimber. I carried them all through the store while continuing to look...I had had enough of his rudeness, thanked him and proceeded to the door, when Steve in an even louder tone of voice yelled from across the shop "Are you taking those magazine from my store?" (meaning the free brochures)

Again, you have to remember that you are not in a Wal-Mart or a Cabelas; you are a guest in this guy's shop. In a small shop, to be polite, one should never assume that anything is free for the taking. Just as we should always ask before we handle any merchandise, we should always ask before walking out with anything, no matter what.Steve again replied "Thanks for coming in" (again rude tone of voice).

You were in a confrontation with Steve.

wayne
12-31-2012, 14:49
People still do business with Steve because sometimes he is the only one that has what people want. About a month and a half ago a couple of my friends from work were looking to buy a Rock River Tactical Elite 2 AR15. Steve's was the only place that had this gun that they could find. It was backordered everywhere else. That was the only reason they did business with him. I live in the town where he currently has his business and he still has a crappy rep. and has for years. I have not been in his shop since he moved to Nixa but dealt with him at his previous location and didn't have a problem with him but know plenty of people who have.

Wayne

SouthpawG26
12-31-2012, 14:53
I use this thread as a calendar marker to make that vital, once a year battery change in all my Aimpoints.

ARP
01-01-2013, 12:15
I guess this has been going on for a long time and I kinda have to believe that for this many negative comments concerning the guy's shop, it must be that bad.

Steve sounds like someone who is drunk on his own "wine", meaning he feels he can do whatever the hell it is from a business/customer relations standpoint because he has no one to answer to except himself. Steve could probably be doing soooo much better for himself moving himself towards an earlier retirement and such, but he does not see the big picture and that is the business damage he does. What re- enforces the attitude is with the current off the charts business in the firearms world, he can do no wrong. Hence "drunk on his own wine."

What comes to mind for me and this story is a small Orvis dealer that is somewhat near me. I was just learning about fly fishing gear, thinking that I might want to give it a try and wondering about how much the initial basic cost would be. So I stopped in to get educated on prices, equipment and such. Turns out the guy's BIL and I worked for the same 2 companies at the same time in the same career field and he stopped in while I was there. What a coincidence.

I'll probably never shop in the store again. What could have happened that has made me say that? The owner flat out tells me, "what ever you do, if you go and buy equipment from one of the big box stores, don't ever come back to here to shop or have it repaired." Guess what I did? I now shop at the big box stores exclusively and I know just who I should talk with when I go there, a knowledgeable salesman who put me in a position to buy the right equipment that got me started.

2-8 Marine
01-01-2013, 12:41
In large stores, such a response is appropriate. In small stores, however, etiquette demands that we ask permission to browse, rather than being presumptuous. For example: "No thank you. Is it alright is we just look around?"

Again, you have to remember that you are not in a Wal-Mart or a Cabelas; you are a guest in this guy's shop. In a small shop, to be polite, one should never assume that anything is free for the taking. Just as we should always ask before we handle any merchandise, we should always ask before walking out with anything, no matter what.

I agree that being polite and courtious is the best policy whenever dealing with ANYONE.
However, etiquette certainly doesen't demand asking PERMISSION and its hardly presumptuous for a customer to simply say they are just browsing. The OP wasn't rude or out of line as was the store owner, and not for the first time I might add. This guy sounds like a PITA who has forgotten, or never learned that he is there to serve his customers who by purchasing his goods, feed him and his family. And, yes I agree you are a guest in his shop. And as such the owner has a responsiblity to treat you, the customer, as a guest as long as the customer is civil. That dosen't include provoking a confrontation simply because he felt his little kingdom had been disturbed by someone just looking. By the way, if I'm not mistaken, the OP asked several times whether or not the phamplets were free for the taking and the owner simply used this as an excuse to act like an ass entertaining his jag-off cronies.

Sensai
01-01-2013, 15:51
I can't stand rudeness in a man. I hope you do share that story with as many as you can. He does not need to be serving the public. Put him out of business.:crazy::shame:

pesticidal
01-01-2013, 16:05

Again, you have to remember that you are not in a Wal-Mart or a Cabelas; you are a guest in this guy's shop. In a small shop, to be polite, one should never assume that anything is free for the taking. Just as we should always ask before we handle any merchandise, we should always ask before walking out with anything, no matter what.

First I've ever hear that you have to ask if it's ok to browse around in any open shop.

Brochures aren't merchandise, never seen a price tag on one.

Sensai
01-01-2013, 16:18
If you do a search for his store and read the Google reviews, you will see that this is par for the course for this guy. Judging from what the others say, this guy is just an a$% hole.:dunno:

RichardB
01-02-2013, 04:05
Just so long as he can stay in business with his current cash paying customers the opinions of outsiders are not important.:tongueout:

mattallamerican
01-02-2013, 04:34
2 words about steve hill billy

2-8 Marine
01-02-2013, 06:10
Just so long as he can stay in business with his current cash paying customers the opinions of outsiders are not important.:tongueout:

Well, enjoy the donuts . . . :whistling:

kdstang
01-02-2013, 10:42

What you describe is correct...If you were entering Steve's home and rummaging through his safe. You are also correct that you are a guest in the shop, and the onus is on the owner to treat the potential customer as a welcome guest. But this only applies in a business that actually wants to stay in business, I avoid "Gun Club" shops, if only because I don't want to hear all the know-it-all drivel. There are plenty these type of shops out there and never grow past selling a couple shotguns and revolvers a week.

I've never "asked" for permission to look around a place of business that had a display area and was open to the public.

F350
01-02-2013, 14:25
Sorry reply to an old post

NCGTer
01-02-2013, 21:24
I guess I'm just "piling on" at this point but I just wanted to say that I went to my local gun shop today where I've purchased no less than three (expensive) firearms in the last 6 months. Man, I was treated like DIRT today. I couldn't believe it. All my old buddies behind the counter were gone and there was like five slow-eyed mouth breathers behind the counter and they made me feel like I was sucking up too much of their air and I should just LEAVE. So I did .... and I'll never go back. This is a major dealer in NC and it rhymes with Buns and Bold. This hurts my feelings because I was also ready to take their CCW class. ... They sure lost a lot on money from my business. Forever.

Right now is the time for Firearms Dealers to rake it in .... why are "they" suddenly hiring the lowest common salesmen?

RichardB
01-03-2013, 09:17
NCGT, Sorry to read that. Despite the drive from Fayettenam it has been one of my favorite Gun Stores and source of glock stuff. It seemed crowded when I last drove by during the holiday season. Just hold your breath a couple of months and some of the staff will change, again.

Casey911
01-05-2013, 10:09
I also live in nixa and have had a similar experience with Steve , unbelievably rude. They should make a reality show about this place as that is the only other place I have seen a bigger bunch of A-Holes

Carry16
01-05-2013, 10:55
Your first post. Did you register just so you could complain about Steve's?

Casey911
01-05-2013, 11:57
Stumbled across the thread online, yes that's what prompted me to join. I do however own 2 glocks...

2-8 Marine
01-05-2013, 12:47
Stumbled across the thread online, yes that's what prompted me to join. I do however own 2 glocks...

Welcome to the forum. :wavey:

LawScholar
01-05-2013, 12:51
I live in a small area. Only 3 gun shops. I go to the polite one.

Except now there are only 2 gun ships. Because the rudest one went out of business.

It comes back to them, eventually.

A rude man is a small man.

AZson
01-05-2013, 14:01

Sorry but the customer is always right, especially if you want to stay in business.

JuneyBooney
01-06-2013, 00:42
Most people expect you to buy something when taking brochures which are not all "free". Some are free but others are sent at a cost to the dealers.

LawScholar
01-06-2013, 07:07
Most people expect you to buy something when taking brochures which are not all "free". Some are free but others are sent at a cost to the dealers.

That's a silly expectation for them to have though. Brochures are used to educate yourself about the purchase you're going to make, so why would you take them after making it?

I've never shopped anyplace where the free manufacturers brochures were tied to a purchase in any way. My LGS always has a display with 10-12 brochures and there's never a stigma.

It's just like providing coffee or snacks for customers. An expense you eat to create a more welcoming atmosphere. It's just unrealistic business to expect everyone who has a cup of coffee to buy something.

2-8 Marine
01-06-2013, 07:27

Excuse me, but I believe brochures free or not, are put there to advertise the products a specific company has available for purchase. People are expected to take them home and browse through them at their leisure possibly buying something from the brochure at a later date. I've never heard of any business requiring me to purchase something before I could take a free brochure. Of course, if the owner had to pay for the brochure I can understand a nominal fee being charged. I've browsed hundreds of establishments without making a purchase and freely taken brochures where available and have never been rudely insulted or intentionaly embarrassed for doing so.

pesticidal
01-06-2013, 07:35
Excuse me, but I believe brochures free or not, are put there to advertise the products a specific company has available for purchase. People are expected to take them home and browse through them at their leisure possibly buying something from the brochure at a later date. I've never heard of any business requiring me to purchase something before I could take a free brochure. Of course, if the owner had to pay for the brochure I can understand a nominal fee being charged. I've browsed hundreds of establishments without making a purchase and freely taken brochures where available and have never been rudely insulted or intentionaly embarrassed for doing so.

Even if the brochures have to be paid for by the dealer, (rarely), if they're out on an unpriced rack, it is assumed that they're there for informational service, and should be considered a cost of doing business.

2-8 Marine
01-06-2013, 08:05
Even if the brochures have to be paid for by the dealer, (rarely), if they're out on an unpriced rack, it is assumed that they're there for informational service, and should be considered a cost of doing business.

I agree completely. Iif they don't have a price on them they are presumed free, but the shop owner in question made a big production about his having paid for the brochures. Of course it was done specifically to embarrass the customer but what can you do in that situation other than offer to pay for the brochure or meekly put it back.

electricmo
05-06-2013, 19:35
I had a similar experience at EDI in Nixa with Steve. I frequented his shot for a couple of months buying ammo and a rifle scope before having him order me a Kimber. He said to keep checking back with him as he had no idea when it might arrive. He had very little selection on the shelf and told me 1911's were very hard to come by at the time. I kept checking back with him off and on for 7 months. I even told him to take my phone # and call me when it came in early on in my wait. He flat told me he didn't want my # just keep checking. It finally came in and I continued buying ammo off and on. The Kimber was a gift to my Dad by the way. After seeing the Kimber I decided to buy a 1911 for myself but not from Steve. Anyway I decided to buy a holster for it and took it in to EDI to see if he had a holster that I liked. I asked the man to help me out with what he had on the wall as it was a mess and he sees the pistol, looked at it and said he deals in that brand and he knew I didn't buy it from him so get the hell out of my shop. I was flabergasted as I did regular business in there. Nontheless I have never returned. By the way I have seen him treat others with the very attitudes spoke of earlier here. He knows his business but is a first rate tool

FireForged
05-07-2013, 15:04
Although I have entered many gun shops that are operated by perfectly normal people who actually have manners, what I find typical are the exact same attitudes you encountered.. the same goes for shops that sell high performance car parts. There is only one gun shop that I currently buy from and its 50 miles from me. They don't treat me special, they simply do their jobs like normal human beings. I probably pass 6 or 7 shops to get there.