deployment length [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : deployment length

jetrecbn1
02-17-2008, 18:14
Just did 15 (actually 16.5; Torch and Trail) with my unit. I ran into some of Uncle Sam's Misguided Children during a class at VBC, and they inquired about how much time I've done in country. I told them 9 and I had 7 more. They just got there and their comment that they would be home already stung. Do you guys believe in a rotation like the USMC 7 & 7 or the Army 15 and 12? I have heard that the NG is looking at 12 total (1 train up, 10 deployed, 1 DEMOB). What's your thoughts.

Biscuitsjam
02-18-2008, 00:31
National Guard was doing 5 1/2 trainup, 12 deployed, .5 demob or thereabouts. When we went to Iraq in '05-'06, we were on lockdown for training. 18 months away from home is pretty damned hard to take. While the goal may be to eventually get to 1 month trainup out of a 12 months total activation, that hasn't happened yet. I think it's currently at 3-4 months trainup but they'll make it shorter each cycle. Most training is supposed to be done in drill/annual training prior to deployment to facilitate shorter mob-station training. The goal is to make trainup/deployment/demob 12 months total though. We'll see how that works out...

I ran into some Air Force guys in Tallil, Iraq in '06. They were just coming off a THIRTY DAY tour repairing motor vehicles of some sort. They said they volunteered for the tour and some guys in their unit had been over 6 or 7 times already.

scoutfsu99
02-18-2008, 19:44
6 or 7 times for 30 days? sign me up please. just spent 14 months in Mosul. Looking at going back for another 12 w/in the year give or take. I wouldnt mind a 7 and 7 but you gotta remember that off 7 you would be training up. I think it works out similar to ours. I think a 12/12 would work better for the dwell time.

xxiv
02-20-2008, 15:34
7 months the first time (Fallujah and Ramadi) and 5 months the second time (Kurdistan AO).

And that was long enough.