Presidents Day Smoke! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Presidents Day Smoke!

California Jack
02-18-2008, 10:47
Got some country ribs yesterday for $1.29. Rubbed 'em lyesterday afternoon with a cummin, chili powder, kosher salt, black pepper rub. Got them going in the smoker at 225 with hickory.

Just went to check the temp, it's holding steady at 222. Smelled terrific!:cheers:

California Jack
02-18-2008, 18:29
Smokes over and the plates are cleaned. I ws a little disappointed. Next time I'll try spare ribs.

biblefreak
02-18-2008, 21:32
Spare ribs are the way to go. Cheaper than baby backs and way more meat!

noway
02-18-2008, 21:43
I personally like country style better than spare ribs, more fat imho and more meat that's easier to get too. ;)

What I use is nothing but old bay, black pepper & onion or sea salt, and I rub the meats in bacon drippings. Marinate the whole mess in th frig for about 8 hours and then off to the smoker.

California Jack
02-19-2008, 17:03
I think my problem with the country style is that they were all different thicknesses resulting in various degrees of 'doneness', some overcooked and dry and the others undercooked.

I've only been smoking since Xmas, I have attempted brisket(2), pulled pork, country ribs, chicken(4) and turkey breast. I have had the most success with the turkey and chicken. Pulled pork was acceptable and the other two itmes need improvement. Next weekend I'm doing another turkey breast.

noway
02-21-2008, 17:36
I think my problem with the country style is that they were all different thicknesses resulting in various degrees of 'doneness', some overcooked and dry and the others undercooked.

I've only been smoking since Xmas, I have attempted brisket(2), pulled pork, country ribs, chicken(4) and turkey breast. I have had the most success with the turkey and chicken. Pulled pork was acceptable and the other two itmes need improvement. Next weekend I'm doing another turkey breast.

You have to control the heat and time better. Cooking spare ribs with the bone is alot different than country ribs imho.

After you cook a few thousands of these, you can eyeball and/or use a thermeter to determine wellness.

Garweh
02-23-2008, 16:35
I have a smoker, but I use my gas grill. Packets of soaked hickory chips on the front flavor bars, pans of water or wine on the back ones. I smoke pork butts (spice rubbed and refrigerated for 12-16 hours before smoking) at 225 degrees for 5 or 6 hours and then remove the butts from the grill, wrap in heavy duty aluminum foil and into a 225 degree oven for 3 hours. Remove from the oven, shred the pork, defat the juices collected in the foil and add back to the pork. Awesome!

I prefer a thin, spicy, vinegary sauce on my pulled pork sandwiches (with slaw, of course). Smoked 120 pounds of butts for a church dinner like this 2 summers ago. We sold out of every last bit of the pork.

California Jack
02-24-2008, 16:20
Yeah, I like a Carolina vinegar sauce on pulled pork too.