Have a story, want to make it a book...Where to begin? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Have a story, want to make it a book...Where to begin?

H&K .45 AUTO
02-19-2008, 14:33
Okay folks, here's the deal. I have always enjoyed reading. And, a few years ago I began writing my own ideas down. Actually, I began typing them as an MS Word document. I don't intend to sign any kind of publishing deal or anything of that nature.

What I would like to do, is to turn my story into a paperback book format. The problem is that I have absolutely no idea how to go about doing it. Are there publishing companies that will print my story into a book for me? Or, do I have to do the work myself at home?

If there are companies that specialize in this sort of project... What do I need to do to help streamline the process? Is there a computer program that can be used to better format my writings for this purpose? Is there a template or something that I might be able to use? And how much money might I expect to spend in order to turn my writings into a paperback?

I know this is a lot of information that I'm requesting. Basically, I'd just like a bit of help with pointing me in the right direction. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Sgt. Rambo
02-19-2008, 18:34
Okay folks, here's the deal. I have always enjoyed reading. And, a few years ago I began writing my own ideas down. Actually, I began typing them as an MS Word document. I don't intend to sign any kind of publishing deal or anything of that nature.

What I would like to do, is to turn my story into a paperback book format. The problem is that I have absolutely no idea how to go about doing it. Are there publishing companies that will print my story into a book for me? Or, do I have to do the work myself at home?

If there are companies that specialize in this sort of project... What do I need to do to help streamline the process? Is there a computer program that can be used to better format my writings for this purpose? Is there a template or something that I might be able to use? And how much money might I expect to spend in order to turn my writings into a paperback?

I know this is a lot of information that I'm requesting. Basically, I'd just like a bit of help with pointing me in the right direction. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Hey .45! Congrats...you've got the writing bug!!! I started out the same way and was published a year later (Not typical). First things first, what are you writing, fiction or non-fiction. Second...get your butt out of this chat room and back onto your project. Write, write, and write some more. Very very important thing... BELIEVE in your work. Don't think it's so-so and maybe you'll get published. Believe in what you're doing. Get at least 2/3rds done before you start shopping for a publisher. You can go two routes, traditional publishing (you'll need an agent these days) or what's called vanity or selfpublishing. Check out my website, shoot me an email and I'll help you with any other questions. www.glennrambo.com (Oh and if you like action/gun/border war fiction...check out the book.....sorry shameless plug)

Scarecrow28
02-20-2008, 08:48
Like Rambo noted, make sure your done with a good part of the story before you even begin to consider publishing. Aspirations of publishing and the royalties may cause problems. I can't even tell you how many times I've written part of a novel before thoughts of money and publishing got ahold of me and I had to stop. Good luck with the novel!

H&K .45 AUTO
02-20-2008, 22:45
Thanks for the responses guys. I'll do some browsing around on this forum for a bit and will likely have lots of questions as I progress. Glad to see that I'm not alone in my madness. Hahaha!

highwayman79
03-17-2008, 20:24
Try this web site:

LuLu Publishing

I listen to Clark Howard on the radio and he mentioned it. I have been to the site and it looks like some books are sold as hardcopy and can also be downloaded. Beyond that I do not know how it works or anything.
I hope this helps.