Panko anyone? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Panko anyone?

AnalogKid
02-21-2008, 12:17
Anyone ever try Panko bread crumbs? I just tried them on frying some chicken fingers and they turned out great! So easy I just sliced chicken breast lengthwise then dipped the pieces in flour, egg, then the Panko crumbs then fried in a cast iron skillet. Turned out just like a picture in a magazine! What are your recipes?

K.C. Dia
02-22-2008, 09:22
Anyone ever try Panko bread crumbs? I just tried them on frying some chicken fingers and they turned out great! So easy I just sliced chicken breast lengthwise then dipped the pieces in flour, egg, then the Panko crumbs then fried in a cast iron skillet. Turned out just like a picture in a magazine! What are your recipes?

I use panko all the time. I even skip the flour and just dip the cutlets in egg and then the panko. I use it on pork cutlets, veal and chicken. The trick is to pound the meat out thin, bread the cutlet and saute immediately in a hot mixture of olive oil and butter. No sauce is necessary. It should also work for shrimp and scallops.

Glockerel
02-22-2008, 09:25
I use them all the time. I'm a chef. I get a 25# bag for like $17! Last time I saw them in the grocery store they were like $2.99 for 10 ounces.
They are great for breading, but I also use them for a binder in meatloaf and meatballs, aa a topping for casseroles; I also toast them in garlic and butter until brown and top fresh pasta with them.

MB-G26
03-11-2008, 01:24
I tried finding Panko bread crumbs a while back, needing them for one of Alton Brown's foodnetwork recipes. Never did find any - even in the 'ethnic' sections (aka Oriental, etc., specific items). Major chains here are Safeway and Albertsons, and Fry's, local chain is Bashas (the older stores are more of a glorified Circle K than anything).

Any online sources for low or reasonable price for these w/decent shipping charges?

The Pontificator
03-14-2008, 08:03
I found a large bag (Roland) at Big! Lots for $2.50

MB-G26
03-30-2008, 04:28
I thought I'd look at amazon.com just for the heck of it. Found a nice looking product, less than $3 per bag but outragous shipping cost by comparison. Phoey.

I wonder how these turn out:
http://www.recipezaar.com/167729

This recipe is from Bellaonline.com. I don't use them, much, but a lot of people do. Here is your chance to contron the ingredients in yours. Any white bread will do for making panko. An Asian chef I once worked with swore that the best homemade panko came from Wonder Bread! The yield will vary according to how large you make your crumbs, so I am guessing.

Posted on: May 11, 2006

Ingredients
1 loaf white bread, or if you don't have white bread, use soda crackers, like Saltines and oyster crackers or melba toast, instead. approx. 23 saltine crackers per cup

Directions:

1. Push chunks of white bread through the shredding disk of a food processor to make coarse crumbs.

2. Spread the crumbs on a baking sheet and bake at 300 F degrees until the crumbs are dry but not toasted, about 6 to 8 minutes. Shake the sheet twice during baking. Be careful not to let the crumbs brown!

3. Immediately remove bread crumbs from oven and allow them to cool.

4. Once cooled, crumbs may be stored in the freezer, in a resealable plastic bag for as long as several months.

How/what to season them with, herb-wise or otherwise?

The Pontificator
04-25-2008, 17:38
Was in a Big! Lots the other day and they had Progresso Italian seasoned panko for not too much.

Black Bart
05-22-2008, 13:24
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM Love panko!