How Long Have You Been Writing For? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : How Long Have You Been Writing For?

Scarecrow28
02-22-2008, 14:50
I started sometime around five or six years ago. At first, I was inspired by some of the more mainstream fantasy novels, primarily the Harry Potter series, The Hobbit, and the Lord Of The Rings trilogy. I'll be the first to admit these stories were terrible and could easily have been matched by the works of a 2nd or 3rd grader in the process of learning to read. My motivation was low and most of the stories carried on for six pages before my creative drive died out. At the time I had no comprehension of editing, planning, or any other elements that aid in the creation of writing of any genre.

As time progressed, I became hooked on some of the more "classic" adventure films, mainly Indiana Jones and such. This contributed heavily to both my style and my genre of preference. So my characters and style changed, but my ability and the quality (still terrible) of my writing remained the same.

Scarecrow28
02-22-2008, 15:20
Sorry to post again, but I'm having difficulty editing it. Anyway, my experience and creativity has grown over the years as I began to understand the art of writing action/adventure novels. I am, as of now, partially done with my first ever (serious) attempt at writing a novel and expect it to be completed by or during this summer.

Jack23
02-23-2008, 14:33
I have been writing seriously since I retired in January, '01. I always believed I could but as I posted in another thread I never got the time to give it a good effort. Too much "life" happening. And you know what, looking back from the point in my life that I now find myself, I don't believe I was ready. Now I'm older and know more "stuff" but more importantly I UNDERSTAND things better. I'm more calm and thoughtful. Those inner feelings and impressions of feelings that I've always had were there back then but I'd never have been able to express them as well as I can now.

I didn't go to college until I had served 4 1/2 years in the military. I think it helped me because my priorities were right. I had a lot of encouragement from the professor I had for a writing course. But I just wasn't ready. I know that now.

I know that most professional writers begin in their eary adulthood. Well, I also know that I'm not professional but I don't think that everyone that has writing skills had them from an early age. I think that some, myself for sure, don't "ripen" until later in life.

Scarecrow28
02-23-2008, 20:33
I know that most professional writers begin in their eary adulthood. Well, I also know that I'm not professional but I don't think that everyone that has writing skills had them from an early age. I think that some, myself for sure, don't "ripen" until later in life.

I was writing very early on in life, but my attepts rarely progressed very far or were any good. My "talent" didn't develop until after several years of practice.

Robalero
02-24-2008, 16:40
Six years for me now, enjoy it tremendously.

Scarecrow28
02-24-2008, 16:43
Six years for me now, enjoy it tremendously.
Its a great way to spend your time. It's funny, but now that I look at it, my life is composed almost entirely of writing,exercising, and music.

Sgt. Rambo
02-25-2008, 13:47
I never had an inkling that I wanted to write until I came back from N'orleans after Hurricane Katrina. I wanted to write about my time down there but was never able to formulate it. I'm going on 2.5 years writing now. Started in late '05

Scarecrow28
02-25-2008, 20:27
So your writing started out as a nonfiction account of your time in New Orleans post-Katrina and turned into a hobby that eventually resulted in Crossing the Line?

Sgt. Rambo
02-26-2008, 08:23
So your writing started out as a nonfiction account of your time in New Orleans post-Katrina and turned into a hobby that eventually resulted in Crossing the Line?

I had started another manuscript (which I can't wait to work on again) about domestic terrorism but it's taken a back seat for about 2 years. I work on it a little now and then but it's tough.
But to answer your question that is exaclty how it went.

Scarecrow28
02-26-2008, 16:08
I had started another manuscript (which I can't wait to work on again) about domestic terrorism but it's taken a back seat for about 2 years. I work on it a little now and then but it's tough.
But to answer your question that is exaclty how it went.
Cool. The novel that you're currently working on is a sequel to CROSSING THE LINE, right?