Tamrac Expedition 8 - Experiences? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Tamrac Expedition 8 - Experiences?

woodasptim
02-22-2008, 15:16
I finally pulled the trigger on a new camera case. It was starting to feel like I was having to stuff everything into my old Canon 1EG and I wanted something that had a place for my tripod. So I just ordered a Tamrac Expedition 8. So, did I screw up? Anyone have any experience with the Expedition series bags?

nipperwolf
02-22-2008, 17:28
I've had a Expedition 5 for the last few years that has served me well.

MrsKitty
02-23-2008, 15:13
I haven't used anything from the Expedition line but I do have a *red* Tamrac backpack for my AE-1. I don't have a single complaint about it.

My XT is in a LowePro backpack so I wanted something I could tell the difference between at a glance. (I have another LowePro shoulder bag and a monster backpack that holds my laptop and kit. My father has a LowePro bag that is really old, maybe 15+ years and it is in great shape.)

I don't think you could really go bad with either LowePro, Tamrac or Crumpler. I think I forgot somebody...

hwyhobo
02-24-2008, 06:49
If anything, Tamrac bags are overbuilt, so no need to worry about protecting your gear well. As for whether you will be comfortable carrying a given bag, only you can tell when you try it. It also depends on your style of carrying and shooting. That's why it's nice to test one at a brick & mortar before ordering.

woodasptim
02-24-2008, 19:47
I would have loved to have been able to check one out in a Brick & Mortar store, but that's not really possible in my area. I have to rely on good return policies. :crying:

woodasptim
02-27-2008, 22:39
It's a good thing that Amazon has a good return policy. While this thing is built like a tank and holds everything perfectly, it's like carrying one of those rolling suitcases on your back. It's HUGE!!! Oh well, I'll probably send it back tomorrow and order a Pelican hardcase to carry everything in and one of the Tamrac Velocity packs for walking around for roughly the same total price. Thanks for all the input so far.

hwyhobo
02-27-2008, 23:58
Check this article (http://www.bythom.com/bags.htm), too.

woodasptim
03-01-2008, 22:42
I finally ended up deciding on a Pelican 1500 to store everything in and a Tamrac Velocity 9 for a "walking around" case. So far, I'm really loving the combo. I walked all over the local university scouting locations for a group photo and the sling pack was really handy. :wavey: