Shooting on B.L.M. land [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Shooting on B.L.M. land

banger
02-25-2008, 15:38
I am a born and bred east coast shooter, considering a move to the south west. (Nevada, Utah, New Mexico etc.).

In the north east there is no such thing as B.L.M. land. Most people don't know such things exist.

Is it lawful to shoot on B.L.M. land (assuming usual care, roads, houses,
people, live stock etc.).

I have driven on some of this land north of Las Vegas and seem impossibly remote and don't personally see any problem, BUT I don't live there.

Quiet
02-25-2008, 15:58
You can't shoot on BLM near Las Vegas.
You have to travel in order to find BLM land to shoot.

Here's a map indicating where you can not shoot.
http://www.co.clark.nv.us/parks/ShootingPark/firearms1.jpg
White areas on the map are okay to shoot on.

osiruscyn
02-26-2008, 11:31
i dunno, just how accurate that map is.

If you go by that map, it's showing that you can go shooting right off the Red Rock Loop, which I'm almost certain is not legal considering it's a national recreation area.

Quiet
02-26-2008, 17:38
Map came off the Clark Count parks website. Dunno how old it is. Figured they would have it up to date.

osiruscyn
02-27-2008, 09:56
yeah i saw it came from the count website and the shooting park area. I have a map at home similar to that one. I'll have to check it and see if it's the exact same.

tstrenuous10
04-09-2008, 15:47
I'm going shooting on BLM land to qualify for my CCW in two weeks. They seem to be ok with it as long as you're being safe about it. I'm also a little ways from Vegas, in Reno.

jfrey123
05-05-2008, 19:24
I'm going shooting on BLM land to qualify for my CCW in two weeks. They seem to be ok with it as long as you're being safe about it. I'm also a little ways from Vegas, in Reno.

Awesome bro, welcome to the club. My instructor had to take us out twice: first time was about 4 miles past SSHS, and a wildfire was just getting started over the ridge. We bailed without firing a shot, because the last thing we needed to hear was 'shooters' and 'wildfire' on the evening news. Second time was out near Hidden Valley. 'Bout 12 of us were out there, very organized and professional. A few bikers came up on us from behind, but we were shooting in a safe direction so all was good.

IMHO, most people out in the desert around town are used to seeing and hearing people like us. You folks will be fine, even when you start going by yourself...

tstrenuous10
05-05-2008, 20:16
I did the same thing. Armed and Safe was who I went through. I think we went down lemmon drive and headed out towards the Indian Reservation. It was wicked windy and cold so we kind of rushed it. I don't think anyone had a problem with it. It was during that random weather we had a couple weeks ago where it would warm up then cool WAY down at night. Qualifying at 7:30pm isn't fun.