Moving within state (NC) [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Moving within state (NC)

Sapperstang
02-26-2008, 06:03
May be moving within the state of NC. How does that affect my concealed carry permit? I would hate to have to redo everything just to get one in the new county. I tried to find this info but was not able to. Anyone know?

johes
02-26-2008, 07:30
Just don't forget to change your address on your CCW soon after you move,(and your drivers license). I forgot to change my CCW address and got a nasty letter from the county sheriff. I think you have 30 days.

Bosko
02-26-2008, 09:14
DMV gives you 30 days to change the address on your Driver License and the address of all your vehicle registrations (for the county tax office). After you get your updated Driver License, go see your new Sheriff and update your Concealed Carry Permit. The names and address on both have to match. The Sheriff may only give you a written acknowledgment to carry with your permit. The original permits come from Raleigh. I wouldn't wait 30 days.

NC Bullseye
02-26-2008, 12:40
DMV gives you 30 days to change the address on your Driver License and the address of all your vehicle registrations (for the county tax office). After you get your updated Driver License, go see your new Sheriff and update your Concealed Carry Permit. The names and address on both have to match. The Sheriff may only give you a written acknowledgment to carry with your permit. The original permits come from Raleigh. I wouldn't wait 30 days.

Sorry Bosko, but that could cause you some problems that way. You have to notify the sheriff that "issued" the permit within 30 days of moving. Here is the quote from state statue:

": 14‑415.11. Permit to carry concealed handgun; scope of permit.

(a) Any person who has a concealed handgun permit may carry a concealed handgun unless otherwise specifically prohibited by law. The person shall carry the permit together with valid identification whenever the person is carrying a concealed handgun, shall disclose to any law enforcement officer that the person holds a valid permit and is carrying a concealed handgun when approached or addressed by the officer, and shall display both the permit and the proper identification upon the request of a law enforcement officer. In addition to these requirements, a military permittee whose permit has expired during deployment may carry a concealed handgun during the 90 days following the end of deployment and before the permit is renewed provided the permittee also displays proof of deployment to any law enforcement officer.

(b) The sheriff shall issue a permit to carry a concealed handgun to a person who qualifies for a permit under G.S. 14‑415.12. The permit shall be valid throughout the State for a period of five years from the date of issuance.

(c) A permit does not authorize a person to carry a concealed handgun in the areas prohibited by G.S. 14‑269.2, 14‑269.3, 14‑269.4, and 14‑277.2, in an area prohibited by rule adopted under G.S. 120‑32.1, in any area prohibited by 18 U.S.C. 922 or any other federal law, in a law enforcement or correctional facility, in a building housing only State or federal offices, in an office of the State or federal government that is not located in a building exclusively occupied by the State or federal government, a financial institution, or on any other premises, except state‑owned rest areas or state‑owned rest stops along the highways, where notice that carrying a concealed handgun is prohibited by the posting of a conspicuous notice or statement by the person in legal possession or control of the premises. It shall be unlawful for a person, with or without a permit, to carry a concealed handgun while consuming alcohol or at any time while the person has remaining in his body any alcohol or in his blood a controlled substance previously consumed, but a person does not violate this condition if a controlled substance in his blood was lawfully obtained and taken in therapeutically appropriate amounts.

(d) A person who is issued a permit shall notify the sheriff who issued the permit of any change in the person's permanent address within 30 days after the change of address. If a permit is lost or destroyed, the person to whom the permit was issued shall notify the sheriff who issued the permit of the loss or destruction of the permit. A person may obtain a duplicate permit by submitting to the sheriff a notarized statement that the permit was lost or destroyed and paying the required duplicate permit fee. (1995, c. 398, s. 1; c. 507, s. 22.1(c); c. 509, s. 135.3(e); 1997, c. 238, s. 6; 2000‑140, s. 103; 2000‑191, s. 5; 2005‑232, s. 3.)"

I'd notify the sheriff as soon as you knew your new address instead of waiting for your new DL.

Bosko
02-26-2008, 12:47
Boy, I'm glad you caught that. I'm going to have to get my medication adjusted. Before I moved from Wake County, I notified the Sheriff there of my new address in Stokes County. The WCSO sent a message to the Stokes County Sheriff. The WCSO gave me a copy of the message to keep with my permit because my updated Driver License would not match my permit. My renewal notice came from Stokes County. Is my face red.

Sapperstang
02-26-2008, 16:07
So will my current sheriffs office issue me a new one or do I have to go through the new sheriffs office? I guess that is my real question. And do they charge anything to issue a new one with a new address?

Bosko
02-26-2008, 16:34
The Wake County Sheriff sent an NLETS message via the SBI network to the Stokes County Sheriff, advising him that I was moving to a specified address in Stokes County on (date). I was given a copy of the message to keep with my permit. Upon arrival in Stokes County, I went to DMV and received a duplicate Driver License with my Stokes County address on it. I never heard from the Stokes County Sheriff until 90 days before the permit renewal date when I received his renewal advisory letter. Upon renewal I received my permit with my Stokes County address on it from the Stokes County Sheriff. Sorry for the confusion.

Sapperstang
02-27-2008, 03:35
The Wake County Sheriff sent an NLETS message via the SBI network to the Stokes County Sheriff, advising him that I was moving to a specified address in Stokes County on (date). I was given a copy of the message to keep with my permit. Upon arrival in Stokes County, I went to DMV and received a duplicate Driver License with my Stokes County address on it. I never heard from the Stokes County Sheriff until 90 days before the permit renewal date when I received his renewal advisory letter. Upon renewal I received my permit with my Stokes County address on it from the Stokes County Sheriff. Sorry for the confusion.

Thanks for the info! That sounds easy enough and actually makes sense. I figured they would make you redo everything. Thanks again.