Wildland fire fighters a tool ?? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Wildland fire fighters a tool ??

mtncat
02-26-2008, 11:39
Has anyone used this particular tool? If so can you give me some feedback please. Looking at making a purchase but have a concern over the safety issue of using any of the additions and still having the ax head on.
Thanks
http://www.forestry-suppliers.com/product_pages/View_Catalog_Page.asp?mi=1568
MAX Multi-Purpose Axe

Incorporates seven basic hand tools into one compact, versatile unit: A Hudson Bay style axe head permanently attached to a 36" Fiberglass handle, with six quick-attach tools: shovel, mattock, pick, broad pick, fire rake and hoe. Each component slips into a specially designed socket on the axe head and is secured by either a hitch pin or thumbscrew tightener. All components are drop-forged from high quality tool steel and fit into a compact olive drab canvas case that can be carried on a belt or strapped to a pack. Weighs only 12-1/2 lbs. Comes complete with all tool attachments, thumbscrew tightener, six safety hitch pins, leather axe sheath, canvas bag and heavy-duty cardboard storage box. Note: Replacement parts available. Call for details.

Sucka
02-26-2008, 17:38
Why would you need to purchase it yourself?

If you/r department takes care of their wildland tools, i would just stick with single purpose tools. Can't imagine why you would need a multi tool anyways, on the line you/your crew should each have a tool and a job, but that's just how i was trained in So-Cal.

But no, i haven't seen/tried it.

mtncat
02-26-2008, 17:48
Why would you need to purchase it yourself?

If you/r department takes care of their wildland tools, i would just stick with single purpose tools. Can't imagine why you would need a multi tool anyways, on the line you/your crew should each have a tool and a job, but that's just how i was trained in So-Cal.

But no, i haven't seen/tried it.

Would be dept. purchase. We have used single purpose tools obviously with good luck over the years.
Quite frequently we are finding ourselves hiking into an area and pretty much have no clue as to what we are facing until we get there.
The last one was a 2 mile hike in, a two man team. Trying to make a decision on what 2 hand tools to carry took a minute or two to figure out. Known areas with known fuel will sometimes dictate your tool but in this case the fuel could have been anything from tall grass to pinon/juniper.

FireCop-G19
02-27-2008, 09:27
It looks like it would definitely add more tool options to, lets say a Type 6 engine, where space might be limited.

Stinkyrat
02-27-2008, 20:49
I hear ya on the tool choice,

I do summers with the DNR helitack and for size and ranges of uses we will just go to both the p and the combi's. Digging line you will usually want atleast one p on the line anyways, but the combi is a very verstile tool, light weight for carrying and load capacity on the rotor. That tool set you are looking at is a good idea, just remember that in the end you will still have to sit there and think about what head you want to attach anyways before you go hiking into the fire....unless you feel like draging the whole set along with you.

Atleast thats what we do, when you get dumped out in to the middle of nowhere and the rotor takes off you make do with whats in the bag, and the combi always did what we need.

Stinkyrat

mtncat
02-28-2008, 17:09
Well I signed off on a P.O for 2 of them today.
Going to evaluate these and see how they function. If they are as good as I've been told then we will probably do at least another 4 to 6
I'll keep ya'll updated with pics when we get the chance to play with them.

BP44
03-01-2008, 12:31
they are not built for diggin, just for a little lite mop and scrape stuff

mtncat
03-01-2008, 12:46
they are not built for diggin, just for a little lite mop and scrape stuff

Appreciate the info. Should have a couple in hand in a couple of weeks.