Which would you choose? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Which would you choose?

gruntmedik
02-26-2008, 17:14
I'm trying to decide on the Bathys 100 Fathoms, and the Ocean7 LM-2. Both are practically the same price, and have had pretty favorable reviews.

http://www.ocean7watchco.com/watches/images/LM-2-L.jpg

http://bathyswatch.com/images/collection/silverblacksm.jpg

Or, i could go with the Bathys 100 Fathoms Quartz for almost half the price of the auto. I have no problem with quartz.

What do y'all say?

LifterCatcher
02-26-2008, 17:19
Wow the orange is Fun what a hard choice both look great

The Rampage
02-27-2008, 00:47
I'm trying to decide on the Bathys 100 Fathoms, and the Ocean7 LM-2. Both are practically the same price, and have had pretty favorable reviews.

http://www.ocean7watchco.com/watches/images/LM-2-L.jpg

http://bathyswatch.com/images/collection/silverblacksm.jpg

Or, i could go with the Bathys 100 Fathoms Quartz for almost half the price of the auto. I have no problem with quartz.

What do y'all say?

Well, I'm from Hawaii so you can probably guess what my vote would be...

Seriously, though, they're a little too plain for me. I don't care for rubber bands, much. And to be honest, I think the Bathys looks a little cheap and corny and I like the orange model better, BUT...and this is a big BUT...I've read some really good things about them and they're known for not really trying to copy anything or any other model.

It's unique, and from everything I read about them a while ago, they're solid, reliable watches. I'd say go for it, if you just must have one with that look.

Whatever you choose, post some good pics, now!

TR

gruntmedik
02-27-2008, 01:39
Rest assured, whichever I decide on, there will be pics. :supergrin:

I really like the plain, basic look of the Bathys. If I decide on the Bathys, it will prolly be the quartz model. It's $400 cheaper than the auto, more accurate, and has the big date that my eyes can see better :crying:

If I decide to go with the LM-2, I still need to save some more $$$. I really like the no frills look of it, and the inner rotating bezel is a plus.

The downside to both, is they are sold MSRP, unless I can luck into a used one.

The Rampage
02-27-2008, 02:14
You know what, I just did a little research on that Ocean7 since I'd not heard of it before, and the more I look at it the more I like it.

If I were you, I'd go with the titanium bracelet. Now THAT's a solid looking watch.

http://gallery.watchreport.com/photos/wr_ocean7_lm2/

Of course, it's too rich for my blood (for the time being) and I generally like watches that are a little flashier (and I don't like titanium) but that is seriously a nice dive watch. The author of that review on watchreport says the only thing he can compare it to is a Tissot Seastar 1000, but with a WAY better bracelet.

Yep, that's a nice watch. I'm gonna have to give the Rampage Nod to that Ocean7.

Interesting brand, and I'm surprised I'd never heard of it before.

California Jack
02-27-2008, 05:44
I say the O7. I don;t like the fact that Bathys thinksa ETA 2824 is worth $400. Eddie Platts only charges about $75 to upgrade to auto on his PRS-18. I just don't like the business practice.

Big Bird
02-28-2008, 14:39
Both Bathys and the Ocean LM series offer ETA 2824-2 movements. So I don't think there's a nickles diff there.

There are quite a few watch companies that use the ETA movement and put it in their own cases and charge $500-800 or more for their watches. All the Stowa watches I currently own do this. Though they do modify the movements somewhat.

I think Ocean 7 has better styling than Bathys. So that's where I personally would go.

VirginiaLEO83
02-28-2008, 17:09
I like the Ocean 7.

California Jack
02-28-2008, 20:39
There are quite a few watch companies that use the ETA movement and put it in their own cases and charge $500-800 or more for their watches. All the Stowa watches I currently own do this. Though they do modify the movements somewhat.
If this is directed at my previous comment, I think I must not have been clear. I am aware that there are hundreds of companies that case ETA movements in their watches. What I was trying to say is that Bathys sells the same watch with either quartz or with the ETA 2824. They charge $400 more for the auto. No ETA 2824 no matter what grade costs anywhere near that.

Eddie Platts sells a quartz version and a ETA 2824 powered version of his PRS-18. He only asks for around $75 more for the auto version. This seems like a reasonable upcharge.

My point about Bathys is that they are gouging their customers for about $325 for an auto movement. This is ridiculous and I don't appreciate this practice.

We both know that there are plenty of ETA 2824 powered watches (complete watches with bracelets) that cost less than what Bathys wants to exchange a quartz movement for an auto. I really appreciate the design of the Bathys but I will not ever buy from them because I don't want a quartz watch and I refuse to be ripped off for their auto.

Jack

gruntmedik
02-28-2008, 20:57
Jack, do you have one of the Precistas? If so, how do you like it?

California Jack
02-28-2008, 21:03
I have one Eddie Platts watch but it is the orange version of the PRS-11.

It is a good watch for the money. About the only negative I have with it is the lume is mediocre. Of course I may be spoiled in that area by my Monster.

I may flip it as I have decided I do not like PVD.

California Jack
02-28-2008, 21:04
It l;ooks like this one............

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j85/Paxman1965/Broadarrow/IMG_3016a.jpg

gruntmedik
02-28-2008, 21:42
The Monsters have a way of spoiling us in the lume department, don't they. :supergrin:

California Jack
03-01-2008, 10:02
The Monsters have a way of spoiling us in the lume department, don't they. :supergrin:
Yup, they sure do, glow like a full moon. After spending the entire week with my new Alpinist, I returned to my old friend the black Monster for the weekend.

I know Seiko doesn't really give a hoot about me, an individual consumer, but I wish they'd find a way to upgrade the Monster to the new 6r movement and upgrade the crystal to sapphire with a nice interior AR coating. If they did that, it would be my everyday watch for a long time. I'd have a strap and bracelet collection just for it.