Discharge Ban Proposed for Oldham County Kentucky [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Discharge Ban Proposed for Oldham County Kentucky

domzilla9
02-28-2008, 06:10
NRA-ILA_Alert:
Kentucky: Discharge Ban Proposed in Oldham County Kentucky!
Please Attend the Tuesday, March 4 Hearing or Contact Your Local Magistrate!

A public hearing for a proposed firearm discharge ordinance in Oldham County is scheduled to be considered on Tuesday, March 4 at 2:00 p.m. in the Fiscal Courtroom located on the second floor of the Fiscal Court Building at 100 West Jefferson Street in LaGrange.

Simply put, KOC 08-330-770 would prohibit a person from discharging a firearm in Oldham County within 300 feet of an occupied building or one that is suitable for occupation, even where it is perfectly safe to do so.

Please make plans to attend this important hearing. If you are unable to attend, please contact Judge-Executive Duane Murner and your local Magistrate today and respectfully urge him or her to not place arbitrary boundaries on our Second Amendment freedoms.

Duane Murner (Judge-Executive)
502-222-9357
dmurner@oldhamcounty.net

Steve Church (District 1)
502-228-8178
stevecocd1@yahoo.com

David Voegele (District 2)
502-243-4044
davidvoegele@aol.com

Robert Leslie (District 3)
502-225-4441
rleslie@oldhamcounty.net

Steve Greenwell Sr. (District 4)
502-222-7912
springhillsteve@bellsouth.net

Iva Davis (District 5)
502-241-9309
ivadavis@bellsouth.net

Scott Davis (District 6)
502-742-0700
mail@scottmdavis.net

Rick Rash (District 7)
502-241-5611
rickrash@netscape.net

Robert Deibel Jr. (District 8)
502-241-4992
eibelghses@bellsouth.net

Blitzer
02-28-2008, 06:37
Ain't progress and civilized ways a hoot!

Berretta9
02-28-2008, 06:56
I'm thinking we already have the same thing here in Jefferson County already.

domzilla9
02-28-2008, 07:25

Jefferson County?

You're a bit behind the times.

Berretta9
02-28-2008, 12:46
I'm saying thats already a law here. How is that behind the times ??

Bren
02-29-2008, 05:27

Probably. A lot of people with money who work in Louisville live in Oldham county and want to make it more "civilized" and minivan accessible.

Berretta9
02-29-2008, 06:15
I'm sure that is the case. Oldham county also has some of the highest growth in population.

ciwsguy
02-29-2008, 19:45
I'm sure that is the case. Oldham county also has some of the highest growth in population.

Anybody know which Magistrate is responsible for the Crestwood area (near Centerfield)? I see three 241 prefixes, but not sure which one go call and gripe to. I did send an email to Judge-Exec. The way this proposal is written, I couldn't shoot a rabbit in my back yard garden because both my neighbors are about 100 FT away from it, though behind my back yard is clear for several hundred yards. This may be intended for Downtown LaGrange, but its definitely not good for the rest of us in the semi-rural areas of the county.

ciwsguy
03-07-2008, 19:30
:supergrin:

45gunner
03-08-2008, 07:07
:supergrin:

Whew! I so glad that the ban against discharging a firearm within 300 ft of my neighbors house in Oldham County got defeated. I was staying up grieving late at night about this one.

I think I will run right on out to Oldham country and start shooting now. Yep my second amendment right have been saved once again:rofl:

Is shooting a firearm within 300ft of a house somthing people normally do in Oldham country.
I must be a city slicker. I'm not sure what the big deal is.

ciwsguy
03-08-2008, 07:21
According to the Era, the root cause of the proposal introduction was complaints from former city slickers who moved into OC rural areas and were exasperated by nearby gunfire. :shocked: My solution: If they don't like it, they should move back to the city.:supergrin:

45gunner
03-08-2008, 14:08
According to the Era, the root cause of the proposal introduction was complaints from former city slickers who moved into OC rural areas and were exasperated by nearby gunfire. :shocked: My solution: If they don't like it, they should move back to the city.:supergrin:

Im not for or against the ban I just curious why do people in Oldham country care if there was a ban against shooting close to my neighbors house.

TCKDRVR20
03-08-2008, 23:01

Hell where I grew up raised the sound of gunshots were as common as birds singing...

GLW
03-09-2008, 10:20
Im not for or against the ban I just curious why do people in Oldham country care if there was a ban against shooting close to my neighbors house.

I live in Oldham County. One of the reasons that I moved here was to escape the left wing politics of Jefferson County.
I opposed this ordinance just as I oppose every other infringment on my liberties imposed by the liberal left. I attempt to be a good neighbor and steward to the conservation of our environment but I will oppose every attempt to limit our rights as law abiding gun owners. Blanket regulations like this are knee jerk reactions to pressure exerted by a radical few and represent an indiscriminate erosion of those rights.
Oldham county is predominately rural. I agree that there are high density population areas where the discharge of firearms could present an issue if not conducted responsibly but what's wrong with neighbors working out differences among themselves without big brother's interference? I respectfully suggest that like minded gun owners should not be idle observers to these battles simply because it doesn't affect them personally. We should speak with one voice.
Dom posted this alert in response to my email to a few people in the local area. I appreciate his help very much. This is more than I've written on this web site in a long time. I will no doubt be criticized by some and I do not have any interest in engaging in a debate of this issue but for those who agreed with me and helped to discourage our community leaders from adopting this restriction, I thank you.

ciwsguy
03-09-2008, 13:30

Gunner,
I've never met you, but I don't understand your thinking. How could a law abiding gun owner not take a position on an issue like this? If you do, prepare to be steam-rolled by the lefties.

What is "close"? My property backs up to a wildlife refuge and I have setup a plinking range in my backyard. The way the proposal was written, I wouldn't have been able to use my plinking range because my neighbors residences were within 300 yards, though their residences were 165 degrees out of the line of fire. I shoot .22's into a bullet trap, so my setup is safe. I wouldn't have been able to use it had the proposal been adopted.

If you don't want to get steam-rolled by the Brady-bunch, you'd best take a hard-line stand, else you'll likely lose your 2nd amendment rights. Look at what has happened in Australia.

Berretta9
03-09-2008, 15:51
I would think it's more of a noise issue. I think they should be enforcing the laws on booming car stereos because I don't want to hear that either. That doesn't make me anti car stereo

Ghost Tracker
03-09-2008, 15:59
Prospect is rapidly becoming the "Seattle of the Bluegrass". Oldham County is getting so crowded that finding a spot anywhere with more than 300 feet between buildings is getting harder & harder. Just remind all the progressive, (transplanted, carpet-bagging) new residents that; when seconds matter...the Prospect PD is only minutes away.

domzilla9
03-09-2008, 16:22
Whew! I so glad that the ban against discharging a firearm within 300 ft of my neighbors house in Oldham County got defeated. I was staying up grieving late at night about this one.

I think I will run right on out to Oldham country and start shooting now. Yep my second amendment right have been saved once again:rofl:

Is shooting a firearm within 300ft of a house somthing people normally do in Oldham country.
I must be a city slicker. I'm not sure what the big deal is.

The ban didn't mention anything about your neighbor's house. It specified a distance of 300 feet of an occupied (or one "suitable" for occupation) building. Whether that building is your own or someone else's doesn't matter.

It's hard for me to imagine a why a gun owner and sportsman would deride other gun owners for opposing this ordinance. If you don't believe that your personal freedoms are threatened by any attempt to create spurious laws that serve no real purpose other than to castigate law abiding gun owners then I doubt if anything said here in opposition to the proposed ordinance will make an impression on you.

It's already illegal to damage your neighbor's property and to wantonly endanger others. We already have laws that protect people from negligent use of firearms. Lets enforce those instead of spending our time, money and intellectual capital creating unnecessary laws.

domzilla9
03-09-2008, 16:25
And fyi folks, for those who don't know my very good friend 45 gunner, he is a semi-professional pot stirrer. :supergrin:

ciwsguy
03-09-2008, 16:34
he is a semi-professional pot stirrer. :supergrin:

Didn't know that, but that explains alot. He likes to throw kerosene on a smoldering fire, does he? Dangerous that is.

45gunner
03-09-2008, 20:01
Gunner,
I've never met you, but I don't understand your thinking. How could a law abiding gun owner not take a position on an issue like this? If you do, prepare to be steam-rolled by the lefties.

What is "close"? My property backs up to a wildlife refuge and I have setup a plinking range in my backyard. The way the proposal was written, I wouldn't have been able to use my plinking range because my neighbors residences were within 300 yards, though their residences were 165 degrees out of the line of fire. I shoot .22's into a bullet trap, so my setup is safe. I wouldn't have been able to use it had the proposal been adopted.

If you don't want to get steam-rolled by the Brady-bunch, you'd best take a hard-line stand, else you'll likely lose your 2nd amendment rights. Look at what has happened in Australia.

Everyone,
I don't wish to enrage anyone on this subject especially the persons on GT and I am really laughing at the situation as I just renewed my NRA membership for three years and sent them another donation. Im all for personnel freedom as long as they don't come at the expense of others.

A law abiding and responsible person takes the side not of the majority but what is for the benefit and safety of them self and others. It would probably help your GT discussions in the future for your discussion to be along those lines.

When I say I am not for or against it all I'm saying is that unless I hear both sides of the story that I am neither for or against the ban. I was busy and didn't really want to travel to attend the hearing but I heard it went well and the ban was defeated.

I hope as Oldham County becomes more populated that everyone that shoots there is as responsible as all of us in this discussion otherwise the officials in Old ham country will be forced to enact a ban otherwise they have no means of enforcing unsafe gun handling that may endanger local residents.

ciwsguy
03-10-2008, 15:22
Everyone,
I don't wish to enrage anyone on this subject especially the persons on GT and I am really laughing at the situation as I just renewed my NRA membership for three years and sent them another donation

Me thinks I smell smoke. Somebody's (i.e., Gunner's) britches are on fire!:supergrin:
You'd better stay out of Oldham County, dude. Wouldn't want you to get scared from all the gun play going on out here or the bullets flying all over the place. :supergrin:

45gunner
03-10-2008, 17:16
Me thinks I smell smoke. Somebody's (i.e., Gunner's) britches are on fire!:supergrin:
You'd better stay out of Oldham County, dude. Wouldn't want you to get scared from all the gun play going on out here or the bullets flying all over the place. :supergrin:

Whew. This Oldham County guys are serious about their guns rights! :supergrin:

Now come on over to Bluegrass Indoor range on tuesday night and shot us how good you are.:tongueout:

ciwsguy
03-10-2008, 17:24
No need to. Got a better range here - much closer too! No offense intended, BGIR.

Berretta9
03-10-2008, 19:57
Oh really ?? Where would that be ?? Open Range ??

ciwsguy
03-10-2008, 20:04
Oh really ?? Where would that be ?? Open Range ??

Yup. Well VENTILATED, but kinda pricey.

Berretta9
03-10-2008, 20:23
Can't disagree. It is quite the haul for me though. Have you ever shot at BGIR ? The ventilation is better than it was. Shooting ranges are like bars.. sometimes the smokey ones are the best.

ciwsguy
03-10-2008, 20:30
Have you ever shot at BGIR ? The ventilation is better than it was. Shooting ranges are like bars.. sometimes the smokey ones are the best.

Yes I have shot at BGIR. Every time I did, I came out with the most gawd-awful SPLITTING headaches I have ever experienced. I could only conclude it was from inhaling the gunsmoke & evaporated lead. Never have experienced that problem at Open Range. It has excellent ventilation.

Smokey bars - sorry. I won't go to a place that impairs the senses either with inhaled vapors or the liquid variety. And yes, I am quite conservative.

45gunner
03-10-2008, 20:35
Yes I have shot at BGIR. Every time I did, I came out with the most gawd-awful SPLITTING headaches I have ever experienced. I could only conclude it was from inhaling the gunsmoke & evaporated lead. Never have experienced that problem at Open Range. It has excellent ventilation.

Smokey bars - sorry. I won't go to a place that impairs the senses either with inhaled vapors or the liquid variety. And yes, I am quite conservative.

Can wait till the weather warms up and I can shoot outside again.
I love OpenRange myself. But can't afford to shoot there.

Need to move to Oldham county and setup a range in my back yard.

ciwsguy
03-10-2008, 20:43
Can wait till the weather warms up and I can shoot outside again.
I love OpenRange myself. But can't afford to shoot there.

Need to move to Oldham county and setup a range in my back yard.

I have a hard time affording the range time plus the ammo, but compared to the ammo prices these days, $21/hr is relatively inexpensive compared to the cost of 200+ rounds of ammo expended.

If you move to OC, prepare for higher taxes than you pay in Jefferson CO. But at least out here you don't have to pay the Louisville & Jefferson County Stinking Fund Occupational Tax. :steamed:

Berretta9
03-10-2008, 20:44

Inhaled Vapors ?? Is that what Clinton did not do ?? Never heard it put that way. I'm pretty damn conservative myself but I do enjoy the liquid variety.
Gunner you can't move to Oldham Co. I can just see you hitting the roof when your neighbor opens up from his back porch. I think it would be great to shoot in your yard but I can see where it COULD become a problem.

ciwsguy
03-10-2008, 20:51
I doubt Bill Clinton ever laid hands on a firearm, so he likely hasn't inhaled gunsmoke. Just keep him away from those CEE-GARs, right Monica? :supergrin:

Clinton is a pure politician which means his pants really are on-fire. Maybe that's the smoke he didn't inhale.:supergrin:

deleted -