Kosovo Question: with the recent developments, is anyone heading over? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Kosovo Question: with the recent developments, is anyone heading over?

Hal9mm
03-02-2008, 17:15
Has anyone deployed over there? How is it? What kind of missions? any advice?

gahadron
03-03-2008, 23:48
I did a tour in '99. Mostly peacekeeping missions after the war ended. Rebuild the country and presence patrols along the border to deter gun smuggling. Hope this helps. Good luck to you.

bartog17
03-13-2008, 22:39
First off...what is your job assignment going to be? That makes a whole lot of difference in explaining your question. I was over there a couple years ago and actually had a descent job. I was on the command security detail so my squad got to make sure our company commander and first sgt got to and from without getting hurt. Almost everyone in my 11B Infantry company somehow got turned into a military pansy I mean military police. Most of the company got to take turns protecting buildings, churches, etc. Then when they weren't doing that they were just driving around through the towns doing regular patrols. Almost all of the fighting that took place when I was there was between the Albanians and Serbs. They barely ever got us involved. But there was country wide rioting that took place and a few of us got stoned (yes it hurt and I still have the brick that hit me). But other than that it was a pretty quiet country. Now that they have started their independence from Serbia it could be a different story with the Serbs that are making their life in Kosovo. All in all, learn as much as you can from the guys that you replace -- forget all the $hi7 the military taught you or is teaching you in georgia or texas. None of that stuff is worth anything. And a pre-warning to ya, if you are at Bondsteel - just watch out for the Brass - they are all there........

Hal9mm
03-31-2008, 10:56
yes we are infantry. So alot of presense patrols and security? How are the local police?

Snake6
04-10-2008, 11:26
yea bartog17 is right on...I was deployed there back in 2001 with the 3rd ID.
It was a sham deployment, all the pre-deployment training was useless to you once in country. 99% of the time my company had "safe and secure" patrols in SE Kosovo, which means load up a few soldiers and drive around ...rinse repeat for 6 months:yawn:

AK_Stick
04-10-2008, 19:16
I'm headed over in the next year or so.