Listen to this crap [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Listen to this crap

Beer_Forever
03-02-2008, 18:45
I went to go sign up for a CCW class today at a local gun store. They offer discounts to law enforcement, Fire, security, military. When I asked about EMS they asked what company and I told them that I was a medic at a private ambulance company they said sorry not fire dept no discount. I told him I do the SAME EXACT, thing as them and my quarters was two blocks away. Every call I go on 10-20 a day are with different fire depts. I have spent hundreds of dollars in there at that is how they are going to be.:steamed::steamed::steamed:

H82Miss
03-02-2008, 22:58
I would take my business elsewhere, and tell all my buddies to do the same. Private ambulance medics do as much or more than FD medics. Way more where I came from! Some people are just ignorant about how the whole system works. He'd be singing a different tune if he knew that someday you might be looking at him down a Mac #4:)

firedog978
03-04-2008, 05:10
I understand your frustration. I think however you may be blaming the wrong party. Usually the merchant is not the one 'eating' the discounted dollars. Most discounts are based at the manufacturer. If you do not qualify, the manufacturer does not discount the item to the merchant for you, whereas it is for those who do qualify.
Your gripe is with the manufacturer, not the merchant.
That said, some items are discounted a smaller amount (ie 10%) by the merchant during certain periods.

D25
03-04-2008, 10:41
He'd be singing a different tune if he knew that someday you might be looking at him down a Mac #4:)

:rofl::supergrin::rofl::supergrin:That's good stuff right there!

4095fanatic
03-04-2008, 12:27
Don't forget to make the tube a size 9 :).

Psychic Bacon
03-04-2008, 17:35
I understand your frustration. I think however you may be blaming the wrong party. Usually the merchant is not the one 'eating' the discounted dollars. Most discounts are based at the manufacturer. If you do not qualify, the manufacturer does not discount the item to the merchant for you, whereas it is for those who do qualify.
Your gripe is with the manufacturer, not the merchant.
That said, some items are discounted a smaller amount (ie 10%) by the merchant during certain periods.

True, but unless I misread, the discount the OP was referring to was for the CCW class, not guns and equipment.

lthrbound
03-08-2008, 11:11
I have yet to find anywhere around where I live that discounts items/services for EMS. Where as they give great deals to Fire/PD. Not that I dislike fire and PD but I know that my coworkers and I, (private ambulance) Do more than any of the 3 FD we run with. I just got used to it as unfortunate as it is.

emtp2rn
03-10-2008, 21:07
My local range will offer the LE/Homeland discount on Glocks, but does not offer anything else to Fire or EMS. PD is offered 50 bucks off an annual membership to the range.

I can't complain on that part. LEO's need to be able to be proficient with shooting so I don't mind them getting that discount. If in the end that 50 bucks saves one of their lives it is well worth it to me.

FiremanMike
03-12-2008, 14:29
I would take my business elsewhere, and tell all my buddies to do the same. Private ambulance medics do as much or more than FD medics. Way more where I came from! Some people are just ignorant about how the whole system works. He'd be singing a different tune if he knew that someday you might be looking at him down a Mac #4:)

Way more spleeb care maybe.

Dump the chip off your shoulder.

indigent
03-14-2008, 21:58
I know that my coworkers and I, (private ambulance) Do more than any of the 3 FD we run with. I just got used to it as unfortunate as it is.

How is it unfortunate that you are busier than the FD? Welcome to 2008 where EMS calls trump Fire calls at about 85%. Thats the nature of the business. The advances in home/commercial fire protection have meant that the number of "fire only" related calls has reduced.

I love it when EMS whines.

rat5545
03-15-2008, 12:51
Easy way to fix your discount problem would be to go to your local fire department and volunteer or find one where you could go and donate a day a month to and receive your official ID that would make you a public servant. This is a discount for the persons that have made it a dedication to serve, and not a paycheck. I agree you seem to have a chip on your shoulder because of your status. I give up time away from my family for training with no compensation for it, give my dinner when there's a need and risk my life freely for others, and do I do this for an occasional discount at the burger place, no. Are you wrong for feeling you should get a discount, probably not, but the opening line of your post may reflect why you are not in public safety, it takes a special person. Just my two cents worth but food for thought. :dunno:

Mickmedic
03-19-2008, 14:26
I don't know anything about Beer_Forever's service, other than he said it was "private," but to say he is not a public servant I think may be stepping over the line.
I work for a "private, not-for-profit, volunteer" service. We have about 15 full-time employees, 20 or so volunteers, and countless part-timers. We get some funding from the county and charge for services just to be able to exist.
The 24 fire depts in the county are for the most part volunteer, but they have a HUGE tax base and are regularly buying new trucks and building new buildings.
Law enforcement are either county or municipal, and are all paid for the work.
We are ALL emergency workers and we are ALL public servants (safety), whether we are paid or not.
To say otherwise is narrow minded.

grfd600
03-21-2008, 09:58
Although I understand the OP's frustration, and I know know they do the "same job" but alot of discounts if you will are via state contract bidding and for tax based / governmental departments only. Our fire department for instance takes advantage of "state pricing" on Motorola radios. A private for profit cant enjoy the same benefits (of which I agree with). Is it right or wrong? I dont want to debate it here. Again, I understand.

Here in AZ all government LEO and FF receive special pricing on Glocks because that have a state contract with them. So all I simply do is walk into one of the selected authorized dealers, plop down my FF ID, CCW, drivers license and fill out 2 minutes of paper work and wala! -A $419 blue labeled, 3 hi-cap mag Glock out the door!

CCW classes are the same. IF an NRA and or AZDPS certified instructor can make up a rostered class and fill them with FD members, it is free of charge. I have had my CCW since 1997 and been to 3 total classes for re-cert, and never paid for one. The only thing we had to buy was the range time (which in one case was waived) and the ammo......$18 maybe? In all cases we did provide the instructor lunch and provided donations for his time. I believe we each chipped in another $10 on top of that to help off set his costs and time.

We still pay the $85 or what ever it is here in AZ for DPS processing and a 5 year card (Cant get around that). But I beleive most CCW classes here for civilians is anywhere between $65-$90 a class.