Novel Update Thread [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Novel Update Thread

Scarecrow28
03-03-2008, 14:09
I've been sneaking some updates into my others posts in this part of the forum, so I figured I might as well just create an "update" thread so the info would all be in one specific section.

I'm maybe 1/4 or so into the novel and have yet to begin any serious editing. Its turned out alright, but I'm expecting it to become both better and quiet longer when I do a fair bit of revising, which will come after completion.

The 1st and 2nd chapter were originally intended as a Christmas gift for a family member, so very little planning was done for this. I've been suffering from a chronic case of writers block, so I've decided to take off a week or so and focus on plotting out the storyline so I won't encounter these types of roadblocks in the future.

If I complete the outline by next Friday, I expect the novel to be completed by May, maybe slightly later. That will leave me the summer to do some revising.

Scarecrow28
03-03-2008, 14:49
I've encountered a signifigant problem within the plot of my story that has, for now, halted production. A large part of the novel is the Inca culture and ancient heiroglyphic messages. Come to find out, the Inca didn't have a system of written communication and relied upon oral storytelling. This tears the entire basis of my story apart. I'm searching for a remedy, which I hope I can find. Things are looking pretty bleak. Besides some writers block, I've had no problems during the course of this project, so I should have anticipated this eventuality.

Scarecrow28
03-06-2008, 15:00
Update: I'm looking for an alternate location with similar geological features to my previous one. In your personal opinion, do you believe that the jungles of Mexico could provide a suitable location for an adventure novel? Thanks!

Sgt. Rambo
03-07-2008, 07:39
Just talked to my Publisher and they are currently reviewing my sequel to "Crossing the Line". It's called..."Holding the Line" very excited and now very motivated to get working again. Was in one of those slumps.

All the best on your newest work Scarecrow.

Scarecrow28
03-07-2008, 20:08
Alright, I've fixed the problem with the plotline. I still have writers block, so I'm going to continue just brainstorming and plotting until it goes away.

jason10mm
03-13-2008, 06:38
Ahh just handwave it by saying the Incans DID have writing, but they were all destroyed in some religous upheaval or takeover. Or they did it on gold sheets and the spanish melted them all down :)

Scarecrow28
03-13-2008, 15:28
Ahh just handwave it by saying the Incans DID have writing, but they were all destroyed in some religous upheaval or takeover. Or they did it on gold sheets and the spanish melted them all down :)

Scarecrow28
04-22-2008, 16:49
UPDATE
Its been a while since I've provided any insight to my progress. As some of you may know, I encountered a massive historical innacuracy that decimated my story and forced me to scrap all of my precious progress in favor of improvement. I began by sketching out the plotline in painstaking detail to insure that no such errors will haunt me on this attempt. I am nearing the end of the plotting process and have a good 20+ pages of details regarding the plot.

I've been waking up earlier to work on it in the morning as well as the night, which has helped signifigantly. I'm hoping to finish the outline within the next week or two and begin the actual writing process.

Once I sort out the copyright details, I may offer an blog covering my progress for anyone interested to read.

Scarecrow28
05-13-2008, 15:22
UPDATE
I just finished the final stages of planning. There may still be a few future changes, but I have the main body of the story set out and ready. I'm starting to begin the actual writing process today. With the story planned out, I suspect that I will complete the rough draft by the end of this summer, though I can't make any promises!

Sgt. Rambo
05-13-2008, 16:04
Good to hear Scarecrow. Keep it up, let us know how we can help. Will be sending you a PM later.

Scarecrow28
05-13-2008, 19:24
Alrights thanks!

Scarecrow28
06-18-2008, 14:45
UPDATE:6/18/08
I finally managed to complete several pages of the initial rough draft after months of severe writers block, an accomplisment I believe stemmed from constant reading and copious amounts of chewing gum :) . I plan to try for anywere between 1,000 and 3,000 words today. I am considering creating a blog chronicling my progress on a seperate, privately-operated url location, but am not sure as of now.

blinddog
06-18-2008, 19:55
I just found this thread tonite, I am interested in helping aspireing writers if I can. I am also a student of Mayan and Incan cultures as well as the Aztec and Toltecs. Your pemis that the Inca had no written language is faulty. They had none that survived the Spanish Conquest of Mexico and the Yucatan peninsula. You have to remember that the Conquistadors were being heavily overseen by Jesuits, the Jesuits were the order that handled the Inquisition. Along with the differant groups of freebooting treasure seekers were always an inquisitor and his minions. They were charged by the inquisitor general in Spain to closely examine any thing taken, for satanic influinces. So many objects were distroyed out of hand including carvings and sculptures, of course if the object happened to be Gold or Silver it was distroyed by melting it down. Nothing of wood remains. Wooden tablets would of course be the media a people wth out paper would choose for every day writing, perhaps wooden tablets covered in Wax? As was used in the time of the Greeks and Romans as well as the Colonial United States. I hope this bit ofinfo helps. I find when I get blocked doing somthing else and getting away from the current project helps. BTW I am three years on my currant work and have just finished the fifth chapter of the rough draft. So stick with it it will get better.

Scarecrow28
06-19-2008, 20:39
Thanks for the info! At this point, though, its a little late to turn back and pick up my previous premise, as I have already altered the plot. I might have use for you knowledge in the future, though.