Buying a used bike from a private party. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Buying a used bike from a private party.

jim123
03-03-2008, 19:53
I'm going to look at a used bike. The person says the title is not in his name but has been signed by the previous owner. Said its an "open title".
Is there any risks in buying a bike this way? I'm used to seeing the title in the sellers name and they sign it over to me when I take the vehicle. I'd hate to give up the $ and not be able to get plates, etc.

J.R. Bob Dobbs
03-03-2008, 23:02
I don't know what "open title" means. The only reason I can think of, not to have a title, is if it's been financed and not paid-off. OR..... where I live an old vehicle (20+yrs?) often does not have a title, and the motor vehicle department will not issue one.

ddc
03-04-2008, 08:58
An "open title"? That may be ok but my gut reaction is walk away. At least I'd check with your state motor vehicle department.

Personally, I would be very careful about buying from someone who didn't own the bike free and clear and had the title to prove it.

I guess I'd consider buying the right bike from the right person if their bank still owned the bike but I'd have to be getting very positive vibes about the whole deal... and it seems like there would be an extra level of hassle to make the transaction work and still be protected.

jim123
03-04-2008, 13:31
The title is signed by the person who owned the bike before this guy who is selling it. He said he never signed where the new owner would and thats where I would sign the title. I don't know how much time has passed since this guy got the bike.The bike is 25 years old and needs some work but supposedly its in nice condition and I'm hoping to get it real cheap, $500 or so because its old and needs work and nobody likes standard bikes from the early 80's.

aaronrkelly
03-13-2008, 04:05
The title is signed by the person who owned the bike before this guy who is selling it. He said he never signed where the new owner would and thats where I would sign the title. I don't know how much time has passed since this guy got the bike.The bike is 25 years old and needs some work but supposedly its in nice condition and I'm hoping to get it real cheap, $500 or so because its old and needs work and nobody likes standard bikes from the early 80's.

I DO!!!

In Iowa the situation you describe is fairly common. The guy just never got around to going to the courthouse....not a biggie. Your state MAY be different but a quick call to the correct dept would get you answers.

Love Jap standard bikes.....this one was my first bike and is till on of my favorites, rode it a little today. Set all winter and fired right up.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v67/aaronrkelly/Vehicles/kzfirstgot.jpg

1980 Kawasaki KZ1000 - paid $900 for this in good running condition. Added tires and some small maintenance repairs.

G19Tony
03-13-2008, 18:48
I got beat on a 1972 CB350F. Guy got me by $10.00. That would have been a cool bike to have. I'm still looking for the older bikes.

jim123
03-13-2008, 20:51
Thanks for the help. I got the bike the other day for $500. 1982 Maxim 650 with 5800 miles, new battery, black, no rust or pitts on the chrome anywhere. Needs carbs cleaned but runs with the choke on. Looks nearly new after I dusted it off.

jim123
03-18-2008, 18:12
http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k230/jimz123/?action=view&current=picsfromcd384.flv

Here it is a few hours after I got it home. It would only sputter and pop on the starter when I bought it.

jim123
03-18-2008, 18:13
http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k230/jimz123/?action=view&current=picsfromcd384.flv

The rack/sissybar came off the next day.

jim123
03-21-2008, 22:06
I bet that bike sounds great and is a blast to ride. I remember those from when I was a kid.:wavey:I DO!!!

In Iowa the situation you describe is fairly common. The guy just never got around to going to the courthouse....not a biggie. Your state MAY be different but a quick call to the correct dept would get you answers.

Love Jap standard bikes.....this one was my first bike and is till on of my favorites, rode it a little today. Set all winter and fired right up.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v67/aaronrkelly/Vehicles/kzfirstgot.jpg

1980 Kawasaki KZ1000 - paid $900 for this in good running condition. Added tires and some small maintenance repairs.

aaronrkelly
03-22-2008, 09:12
I bet that bike sounds great and is a blast to ride. I remember those from when I was a kid.:wavey:

It is a blast to ride....it was my first bike and since then I have bought others but I still cant bring myself to get rid of it.

Its a little on the loud side but since its not my daily rider I dont mind. Its got a Kerker 4 into 1 and someone (not me) took the baffles out of it. Sounds good but not when Im coming home at 6AM in the morning.

Bullwinkle J Moose
04-01-2008, 20:31
Watching your vid made me want to ride. My second bike was an 82 XS650SJ Heritage Special.

windplex
04-01-2008, 21:01

How will you know that the prior owner signed the title?

How can you tell if it was forged after a theft?

So this seller;s name will not appear anywhere on the sales transaction -- that would concern me.

Skip it.

jim123
04-09-2008, 19:21
Got the title in the mail today. So far so good.

fnfalman
04-10-2008, 07:57
It is a blast to ride....it was my first bike and since then I have bought others but I still cant bring myself to get rid of it.

Its a little on the loud side but since its not my daily rider I dont mind. Its got a Kerker 4 into 1 and someone (not me) took the baffles out of it. Sounds good but not when Im coming home at 6AM in the morning.

Not only someone took the baffle out but also drilled the holes around the can too. No wonder it's loud. But the hell with it, I'd bet it's sweet anyway.

The red looks just right with that bike. If it were mine, I'd slap on a bikini fairing, clip-ons and rear set to make it into a cafe racer.