HB 715: K. Stein introduces "ammunition encoding" bill [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : HB 715: K. Stein introduces "ammunition encoding" bill

spork
03-04-2008, 13:19
I got this alert from www.kentuckyvotes.org

"2008 House Bill 715 (Require serial numbers on every bullet)
Introduced by Rep. Kathy W Stein on March 3, 2008, to require serial numbers on every bullet sold on or after January 1, 2009."

Here is the complete text of the bill from http://www.lrc.ky.gov/RECORD/08RS/HB715.htm

"AN ACT relating to the encoding of ammunition, taxing the sale of encoded ammunition, and making an appropriation.
Establish KRS Chapter 237A relating to encoded ammunition; create a new section of KRS Chapter 237A to define encoded ammunition, encoded ammunition database tax, regulated firearm as including all handguns and listed assault rifles; require that on and after January 1, 2009, all ammunition for handguns and listed assault rifles shall be encoded and sold in accordance with chapter; create a new section of KRS Chapter 237A to require all ammunition for handguns and listed assault rifles to have a serial number on the base of the bullet and on the inside of the cartridge case, each box of encoded ammunition shall have a separate serial number; create a new section of KRS Chapter 237A to require owners of unencoded ammunition for handguns and listed assault rifles to dispose of the ammunition by January 1, 2011, $250 maximum fine; create a new section of KRS Chapter 237A to require the commissioner of the Department of Kentucky State Police to maintain a database of all encoded ammunition sold in the state, require dealers in encoded ammunition to provide the name, date of birth, and other information regarding each purchaser of encoded ammunition to the KSP database; create a new section of KRS Chapter 237A to require sellers of encoded ammunition to keep records of encoded ammunition sales for 3 years; create a new section of KRS Chapter 237A to fund the encoded ammunition database through an encoded ammunition database tax; create a new section of KRS Chapter 237A to provide penalties for persons who sell unencoded ammunition or damage the encoding on ammunition as a Class A misdemeanor, provide fines for ammunition manufacturers violating the chapter; create a new section of KRS Chapter 237A to set up trust and agency account which does not lapse to fund the encoded ammunition database; create a new section of KRS Chapter 237A to impose an encoded ammunition sales and use tax beginning January 1, 2009; create a new section of KRS Chapter 237A specifying that police forces and government agencies do not have to pay the encoded ammunition tax and establish burden of proof for sales; create a new section of KRS Chapter 237A to require the Department of Revenue to promulgate and administer administrative regulations relating to the encoded ammunition database tax; create a new section of KRS Chapter 237A to establish the establish the encoded ammunition database tax at 5 cents per round of ammunition sold or subject to use tax; create a new section of KRS Chapter 237A to apply all provisions of offenses and penalties relating to the sales and use tax in KRS Chapter 139 to violations of the encoded ammunition database tax."

spork
03-04-2008, 13:23
Here is Stein's email address: Kathy.Stein@lrc.ky.gov :cool:

I strongly urge each of you to let this lady know how you feel about this bill.

Berretta9
03-04-2008, 15:30
what area does she represent ???

Rhandhali
03-04-2008, 15:51
Fayette County, specifically House district 75, http://www.lrc.ky.gov/legislator/H075.htm

I voted for her, I feel kind of bad now.

crabpainter
03-04-2008, 16:10
:shocked: I just passed the link to Kruser of WVLK AM. Hopefully it will get some radio play in her backyard.

domzilla9
03-04-2008, 16:35
In the immortal words of Pery Garris: "Morons. I've got morons on my team."

Rhandhali
03-04-2008, 21:11
I don't know if I should be pissed because she's so lazy and just copy/pasted the bill and had an intern fill in the blanks without doing any research or because she might actually believe in it.

TreehugginGlock
03-06-2008, 08:06
It appears HB 715 has been withdrawn as of 3-5-08.

http://www.kentuckyvotes.org/2008-HB-715

KYMike
03-06-2008, 08:33
I figured it would die, but not that fast. Glad someone had some sense. As if ammo wasn't expensive enough already, let's make it more cost-prohibitive for law-abiding citizens to protect themselves and enjoy sport shooting. Oh, and we can't afford to fund our schools or public service properly, but we'll dump money into an ineffective database project.

Now, take the money saved by not implementing this ridiculous bill and use it to fund serious efforts by KSP and local LE to take drugs, gangs, and black-market weapons off our streets and you'll be on to something.

ciwsguy
03-06-2008, 14:23
This is an effort on the national level. Believe it started in Kommie-fornia - I think it's known as some form of microstamping, is it not? Any way, we should expect this kind of Crap-ola to be more prevalent now and in the future.

eprn
03-08-2008, 07:55
A bill almost identical to this was introduced in Indiana a few weeks ago. It died a thankfully quick death in committee.

I wonder exactly which group is shopping this around?

ciwsguy
03-08-2008, 09:09
A bill almost identical to this was introduced in Indiana a few weeks ago. It died a thankfully quick death in committee.

I wonder exactly which group is shopping this around?

My guess is the Brady campaign. You must admit, they are well organized and are starting to become effective, at least on the left coast - and they are creeping eastward and southward.

crabpainter
03-08-2008, 09:26
I talked to folks at Bud's about this bill and they had some interesting thoughts. In a nut shell it's shaping up to be a hard couple of years for gun owners, dealers & enthusiasts. This was a test to probe resistance.
For the little good it will do, I renewed my NRA membership (associate membership this time) and signed up my daughter as well. My thinking is, there's strength in numbers. I'm also going to spend my economy boosting rebate on shooting sports equipment.

Rhandhali
03-09-2008, 10:13
Well that didn't take long. The bill was withdrawn last week.

http://www.kentuckyvotes.org/2008-HB-715

Captain38
03-11-2008, 07:36
If Bob Damron says it's dead (and he has), IT'S DEAD!