Anyone been to Fleet Week? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Anyone been to Fleet Week?

USMC Medic
03-07-2008, 18:19
Going in May and wanted to get a heads up on what to expect. Of course, I'm going up there for "corpsman" support, but not really working.

drc767
03-07-2008, 20:47
I went twice back in the 90's and it was a great time with a whole lot of partying. A couple of my aircrew buddies and I got picked up by one of George Steinbrenners limos and the driver gave us each $100 and said we had full survice of the limo for the night. It was a pretty crazy night. The second time I went I did not hang out in NYC....I took leave and went into Jersey to visit my mother. You will have a great time if things are still the same. The city treated us very well.

Navy87Guy
03-13-2008, 20:42
We were there in 2006 - it's a great time. Suck up to the guys who set up the events...they can hook you up with some great deals. Lots of Yankees tickets, free food and drinks. I was caught up in some of the VIP stuff so I missed a lot of the "good deals" that the guys were getting. Wearing your uniform around town is definitely a good thing, though! The cops were pretty understanding...you really had to go out of your way (or be really stupid) to have them take you in.

Jim

zipper046
03-14-2008, 07:09
Going in May and wanted to get a heads up on what to expect. Of course, I'm going up there for "corpsman" support, but not really working.

I worked it twice when I was with a Reserve NCIS unit. Yes, wear your uniform...free drinks abound! HOWEVER, be smart since you are in uniform and ALWAYS use the buddy system. Had a sailor lured into a bar by some hotties at the door...lost track of his buddies...he woke up on the subway with torn uniform and bleeding from a particular orifice....not a good night for him. He was downtown in the Village section....believe he was slipped a "mikey". Stuff like this happens folks...SO BE CAREFUL. Remember to stick with you buddies and remember when in uniform YOU REPRESENT THE ARMED FORCES. With that said...have a blast, there is alot to do.

Z-

LCDR - USN

PS: sorry, dont' mean to sound like someone's father, just hate to see a potentially good time ruined by carelessness. Again...have fun!

standerson
03-20-2008, 01:46
I was there a couple of times in the last 1980's. Worked Shore Patrol with NYPD, they took us around to some of their watering holes and introduced us. We went back the next night and got treated very well by the people (and bars) of New York.