Back From Daytona... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Back From Daytona...

Rikki
03-10-2008, 09:34
Man I had a good time.
Stayed up at Exit 278-Holiday Travel Park- nice place to pitch a tent to sleep in...20 bucks a nite...this is 1 exit N of Destination, Fl...
BIG BIG BIG venue @Destination...HD dealer, JP cycles, big crowd and messy traffic.
Rode A1A alot, just cruised up and back...went as far South as JB's Fishcamp in South New Smnyra Bch. (JB's was good- get there about 8:30-9 pm to miss the crowd- but it wasn't the best place I ate)
I rode about 150 mi on Fri, same on Sat and Sun-as far N as St Aug. Farthest S was JB's...
Left Daytona on Mon, took a Loop Ride-the Big Loop- to Panama City Bch- then back via the Gulf Coast- 738mi rt...
Then rode alot around Daytona area again.
I spent a day or so at the Speedway- big nice venue.
Test drove a 3 wheel Stallion and a Can Am Spyder just for the heck of it.
Bought a boatload of T-shirts- wait till late in the week- they get down to 4/20$
Martin's up on Ormand Bch was the BEST meal- Jeezus H. Christ they got the biggest prime Rib I ever saw- I got the regular cut -end cut well done- I could NOT finish it and it was very flavorful and just perfect! My buddy got the KING CUT RARE- I asked the girl how much that thing weighed and she said it was honestly 5 pounds...GAWD!!! He ate it all...I never seen so much raw meat on a plate in my life!
Gas was about 3.25-35-45
I didn't see any drunks or any nudity, but then I didn't go to places where maybe it went on.
The venues/Daytona did a super job putting the event on- very clean, lots of trash containers and porta pots.
Main St. was cool.
All in all a good trip...My 750 Shadow never missed a beat all trip long...maybe wished I took a bigger bike because of the long run to PCB, but the middleweight was a dream to ride in town and on the beach...
Think I'll do it again in the Fall.
YMMV

tehan2
03-10-2008, 10:10
I got back on Thursday. Left wednesday just as the rain started to come down. Usually I'm not a fan of trailering my bike and the goal was to leave the trailer in VA and ride in. Well we left Mass it was 9 degrees and a snow storm, and it stayed cold (real cold) through VA so we decided to keep the bikes on the trailer for the 1400 miles and ride in FLA.

we stayed just off Main street at the Hilton. we got up every morning at 5:30 and rode. I put just short of 1100 miles on the bike (it ran perfect), my buddy's didn't have the same luck. One guys Vulcan wouldnt start and spend 2 days at the dealer. another buddy had his ultra blow a tire- 1/2 day wait at the dealer to change a tire.

We made a day trip to South beach, and were going to head down the keys, but time wasn't on our side. We were back most nights from riding and hung out on Main street. We did see plenty of boobies ( mostly at froggys and the place across the street -I forget the name).

we made it to the speedway for a while, I wanted to ride the new buell 1125, bt there was a 4 day wait. I rode the spyder this year, and last year at Laconia. It was "ok"

Best Actual MEAL I had was at a local place called Billy's. It's a local hang out, great service, and great food. (almost) Every morning we headed up the coast to a little breakfast place right on the water (I think it's called Manny's) GREAT breakfast, and great view.

When it was time to leave, I was actually glad we trailered, Tornado warnings and some of the heaviest rain I have ever seen for the 1400 miles home. It's only the second time my bike has been trailered anywhere.

I'll skip Biketoberfest, and do Myrtle Beach and Sturgis next year. Laconia is only about 150 miles away, so we make that every year.

norton
03-11-2008, 17:34
Man I had a good time.
Stayed up at Exit 278-Holiday Travel Park- nice place to pitch a tent to sleep in...20 bucks a nite...this is 1 exit N of Destination, Fl...
BIG BIG BIG venue @Destination...HD dealer, JP cycles, big crowd and messy traffic.
Rode A1A alot, just cruised up and back...went as far South as JB's Fishcamp in South New Smnyra Bch. (JB's was good- get there about 8:30-9 pm to miss the crowd- but it wasn't the best place I ate)
I rode about 150 mi on Fri, same on Sat and Sun-as far N as St Aug. Farthest S was JB's...
Left Daytona on Mon, took a Loop Ride-the Big Loop- to Panama City Bch- then back via the Gulf Coast- 738mi rt...
Then rode alot around Daytona area again.
I spent a day or so at the Speedway- big nice venue.
Test drove a 3 wheel Stallion and a Can Am Spyder just for the heck of it.
Bought a boatload of T-shirts- wait till late in the week- they get down to 4/20$
Martin's up on Ormand Bch was the BEST meal- Jeezus H. Christ they got the biggest prime Rib I ever saw- I got the regular cut -end cut well done- I could NOT finish it and it was very flavorful and just perfect! My buddy got the KING CUT RARE- I asked the girl how much that thing weighed and she said it was honestly 5 pounds...GAWD!!! He ate it all...I never seen so much raw meat on a plate in my life!
Gas was about 3.25-35-45
I didn't see any drunks or any nudity, but then I didn't go to places where maybe it went on.
The venues/Daytona did a super job putting the event on- very clean, lots of trash containers and porta pots.
Main St. was cool.
All in all a good trip...My 750 Shadow never missed a beat all trip long...maybe wished I took a bigger bike because of the long run to PCB, but the middleweight was a dream to ride in town and on the beach...
Think I'll do it again in the Fall.
YMMV

sounds like you had a great time. In the 1/2 dozen or so years I went down, I stayed with the BMW space coast members campground, then when I had a few dollars, we stayed at a little motel on the A1A in Flagler. I hear the nice little old lady that owned the motel finally sold it and moved out of state.
Daytona is the place to go if you love motorcycles, and everything motorcycling.

Rikki
03-14-2008, 08:08
Just did the figures and I rode a total of 1272 mi in Fl.
My best mi was 59.4 and worst was 47.1.
There was a
"Camp BMW" in the campground I was staying in- they had a coffee tent and nice welcome center.
I took a pic(sorry, not digital) of a VERY clean old BMW, with one of it's DeLorto(sp) carbs dripping and sent it to my brother-he really got a kick outa that;as he fought those drippers for years.
Did the Tomoka loop several times-and was thinkin' about maybe staying there next time- but I read in the Daytona News that they've spotted a cougar roaming the area...and rabid foxes, and maybe a snake or two lol...just call me at the "holiday inn"...
Had lunch the first day at a resturant right beside the pier @ Flagler...cheep and good!
Since we're home gas $ has just jumped and jumped...maybe I'm going to ride down in the fall, but I sure did like trailering them down-we left about 6pm and thru the nite one of us would drive while the other slept in the back on a air matress.
I guess in the Fall I won't be so anxious (to go) since I'll have had a Summer of riding in up here...but figure I'll need new T-shirts by then LOL