Suzuki Grand vitara [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Suzuki Grand vitara

joedoc
03-11-2008, 21:02
Has anyone owned this little SUV?
I have been looking at these small SUVs, like the Toyota RAV4, and the suzuki has some nice prices, particulary for one with a few miles on it.
I need something to haul my junk, and also get around in snow or dirt--would want 4 wheel drive.
I would want a trailer hitch for light stuff---bikes and such.
Any first hand experience out there?

Javelin
03-11-2008, 21:49
Dont buy any Suzuki new. I would not buy a car *new* from that manufacturer because of how fast they depreciate. There was a good article in Yahoo! today about the worst depreciating vehicles and Suzuki's line was in there a couple of times. Though as far as used is concerned you could find one hell of a deal!

Hope this helps!

mikeflys1
03-11-2008, 23:58
I have a '01 Tracker, which is just the chevy clone, and its not a bad car. Mine is a 4cyl and a bit underpowered but Its great in the snow, gets high 20's for gas mileage and has been very reliable other than a small problem with the heat.

Like Javelin said, dont buy them new...I got mine with 20k miles for $8k.

joedoc
03-12-2008, 20:53
thank you, yes I only buy used cars myself any more.
if the suzuki depreciates in price faster, then i agree that a used vehicle is the way to go
the late model ones all have v-6 engines by the way, though the quoted gas mileage is not nearly as good as you are seeing in the 4.

HollowHead
03-13-2008, 00:20
Have you looked at the Hyundai Tucson V6 4wd? We love ours, although the fuel economy could be better (26 hwy). HH

Clyde in CO
03-15-2008, 16:51
I drive a suzuki sidekick, the precursor to the vitara.

It's a great little car. The new vitaras are awesome. I'm waiting to find one used.

audiophil2
03-19-2008, 20:38
I had a 99 2dr 4wd 5sp 1.6L and a 99 4dr 4wd 5sp 2.0L. Both were great cars that I miss, especially the 2dr. I only had to do basic maintenance for the 98,000 miles I owned it. The original tires still had 10k miles of tread and the front brakes were changed once. You can pull 1500lbs with the 2dr and 2500lbs with the 4dr. I sold the 4dr because we moved cross country. I sold the 2dr years later due to family addition.
As the others stated, buy a clean used one as they are dirt cheap. The V6 engines are supposedly not as reliable.