Blizzard of 93 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Blizzard of 93

KG4IDA
03-13-2008, 21:05
Who was here during the blizzard in 1993?

I was working the 3-11 shift in Oak Ridge on Friday when it started and I barely made it home. If I had been on a 4-12 shift I believe I would not have. Our power never went out and it was beautiful.

I had a friend who was up in the Cherokee National Forest that day but got home before it really started. Others had to be rescued by national guard helicopters.

The people who reported to work that night as I left were stuck for several days. They got paid for it though.

Akita
03-14-2008, 07:18
/////

KG4IDA
03-16-2008, 19:17
On the Monday morning following the snow, I was trying to get to work on Hwy 95. There were trees down on both sides of the road laying in the road.
There was a lane cleared but it weaved from side to side around the fallen trees. At one point, I was driving on the left hand shoulder of the road. I was lucky that I didn't meet any traffic coming the other way.

Blondie
03-16-2008, 21:21
Yes, remember it well.
I was working in north Knoxville that Fri. night but live 20 miles away in the next county south. It started snowing about 7 or 8 PM that night but just melted on our parking lot. Then looked out about 11 PM and our lot and the surrounding streets had turned white.
Was suppose to get off at 9 AM Sat. but got stranded of course. Didn't make it home till about Noon on Sun. Damn what a mess!!

RonaldBeal
03-28-2008, 07:35
2 friends and I had gone skiing and ice climbing in North Carolina. We drove back from East TN in my buddies old bronco with snow chains. We were 1 of only 2 dozen cars we saw traveling on I-40 between Knoxville and Nashville. We lost count of how many jack-knifed semis we saw on the way back.

rrog
04-02-2008, 15:28
I was here too. I was in college and worked for Philips at the time. They let our shift go home early and I went up to some friends' house in Morristown. My (now) ex-girlfriend's mother lived about four doors down. I spent most of three days at her house, with a wood working shop in the basement. The power never went off and I worked on wood-working projects all weekend. (The girlfriend was in Knoxville). As you recall, even the colleges were canceled so it was a good week for me.

Rick

jwilson51
04-08-2008, 16:15
I remember. It was my brother's birthday. First time and only time in Oak Ridge that we were able to ride 4wheeler's down the Turnpike.

Speaking of the turnpike, I noticed that it is getting expanded. Is it really necessary?

Tennessee Slim
04-08-2008, 18:04
I was iced out of my car for three days.

Akita
04-08-2008, 19:17
[/////

26Glocker
05-04-2008, 20:37
Down at this end of the state, was a complete ice storm. Limbs of trees breaking & falling woke me up!
...seems like jus' duther day...
:whistling: