Plot Alteration [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Plot Alteration

Scarecrow28
03-14-2008, 21:00
As anyone who has recently read the novel update thread, you'll know that my plot hit a major snag that amost entirely derailed the novel. I've come up with a plausible, great alternative plot that will allow me to keep the opening chapters I have already penned and some of the original sequences planned in the novel. My question is: is it worth it to rework the entire storyline to compensate this dramatic change or search for an easier way to change the plot. I feel like this plot is much better than the previous one, but I don't want to strip away the entire story and begin anew. I think I'll be able to preserve most of the pre-planned action sequences though.

Sgt. Rambo
03-15-2008, 10:34
Is there a chance the second plot could turn into a second novel?? To go and rewrite is really tough but to start a new project with the new plot maybe a way to go also.

Are you outlining or writing as you go?

Scarecrow28
03-15-2008, 15:30
I'm not really rewriting the entire novel. I had the majority of the plot outlined for the 1st plot, but then came across many flaws in it that I couldn't fix. The only part of the novel that I had set in concrete was the opening scene, which I can manipulate to fit the new plot. The new plot takes part in the same location and included many of the same characters and such as the previous plot, but a new focus for the protagonist. Basically, I'll be doing a bit of editing on the first chapter and then going on from their. I've been doing some outlining, but I came up with this modified plot only last night while doing research.