Anyone familiar with MOLLE II packs/frames? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Anyone familiar with MOLLE II packs/frames?

deadday
03-16-2008, 18:34
I need to teach a platoon of new ossifers how to use 'em, and true to the Army, I've never touched one :wow:

Got one coming to me this week, so I'll have some time to play with it, but can't find any training materials on it..:holysheep:

drew

arodgers
03-17-2008, 16:56
I was issued the full MOLLE II rifleman's set including the ruck with frame. It has a decent instruction booklet inside, but if you have any specific questions I can probably answer them.

deadday
03-17-2008, 17:05
I was issued the full MOLLE II rifleman's set including the ruck with frame. It has a decent instruction booklet inside, but if you have any specific questions I can probably answer them.

I appreciate it! Haven't gotten the pack in yet, but if I run into any trouble, I'll shoot you a PM....What was your overall impression of the pack? Is the plastic frame durable? Hold up to cold weather? I'd appreciate any input on the pack that you would share..

drew

MrMurphy
03-17-2008, 17:15
According to some guys who took them to Iraq, Afghanistan and various other places, the early frames cracked under heavy use (less than it would take to wipe out an ALICE frame), though this may have been fixed. Bad plastic. Apparently bad landings during jumping, or tossing them out of a moving vehicle among other incidents I remember them bringing up would be under "bad idea". This was from some years back, so i'm fairly sure the frame problem has been fixed........ but you might have gotten some old packs. Stuff hangs around forever...... friend of mine went to Baghdad with a Korean War era canteen cover!

Biscuitsjam
03-17-2008, 21:25
I've heard lots of stories of the plastic frame breaking when the rucks are tied to the back of tank bustle racks. It also happens occasionally to folks that carry them, though not too often. The plastic buckles for the kidney belt seem to break a lot more often, but the pack is still mostly functional even when that happens.

The MOLLE packs are a lot more comfortable to carry than the old ALICE packs, but durability and weight could be improved. It holds a fair bit of stuff, but you can't fit certain items (like the full sleeping bag) inside, and the straps it comes with aren't long enough to tie them to the outside.

It's not my favorite piece of gear, but it isn't awful.

oifvet71
03-23-2008, 14:41
They suck and are worthlesws because the frames aren't jumpable. This is what happens when they test army equipment from a bunch of LEG marines.

deadday
03-23-2008, 15:44
They suck and are worthlesws because the frames aren't jumpable. This is what happens when they test army equipment from a bunch of LEG marines.

<----likes his feet firmly planted on the ground :tongueout:

Still haven't received my pack yet, but thanks for the posts guys...

Biscuit, they packs we are getting have an added 'sleep system carrier' that hangs underneath the main pack...

drew

deadday
03-24-2008, 19:34
Got them today, damn, this ****er has straps everywhere! What is the preferred method of cleaning that mess up? Electrical tape (like the on the ALICE?), elastic bands, velcro bands, rubber bands? What did you guys use?

drew