Question about moving and housing [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Question about moving and housing

pixel218
03-16-2008, 20:08
Hi everyone. I am posting this on behalf of my fiance (RF7126) who is at work right now. We have a few questions. I am finishing school right now, and I am set to graduate Dec. 09. RF7126 is planning on enlisting and leaving in the next 8 months or so. (He has not signed up yet, so the departure date is guesswork.) I will be staying here until I graduate, and then I plan to join him at his first base in Jan. 2010, with the wedding set for the summer of 2010. He was in ROTC for 2 years and was on contract. As such, he technically had a rank of E-3. He was told that it would not be a problem for him to leave ROTC as long as he paid back the tuition. He received a DD214 stating that he was discharged as an E-3. He was also a Cadet Captain in CAP and has a 4 year bachelors degree. He will be 23 when he enlists. We are guessing that he will go in as an E-3 or possibly on the accelerated track for E-4. Here are the questions:

Since I will not be married to him yet, I am assuming he will not be eligible for family base housing. Is this correct?
Keeping in mind the information above, will he be allowed to live off-base at his first duty station by the first 6 months or so, so that I can join him once I graduate? What other options might be available under these circumstances?
If we were to get married before he joins, when would he be able to apply for family on-base housing, knowing that I will be joining him in Jan. 2010?

All of this is assuming that he will finish tech school roughly 8 months before I join him at his first base. Also, would it be more feasible to get married before he leaves, or wait? We really want to wait, partially because our families would be very unhappy if we got married before I graduate, and also because we want some time together before we get married to make sure we both still want it, since we will be separated over a year before I graduate. We would prefer base housing once we are married, but we will make due with what we can get.

He will answer any other questions when he gets off work.

MrMurphy
03-16-2008, 20:11
He'll be in dorms till you arrive. Whether he's married or not.

I married in tech school, we were engaged when I came in. I came to my base and was in the dorms 3 months till Pilotkitten arrived and then moved off.

Even married in basic training, he's not authorized dependents till his first base as he is not permanent party. You'd be getting seperation pay and BAH etc to cover you, but he'd still be in the dorms.

Also......not knowing what his AFSC "may" be (whatever he does, DO NOT GO IN OPEN GENERAL!) he can get sent anywhere, regardless of his dreamsheet. What if he gets assigned to Greenland as his first base? 1 year remote tour (no dependents) or something like that?

pixel218
03-16-2008, 20:17
Mr. Murphy,
He is planning on going for Security Forces. Why will he not be allowed to live off base before I get there? Also, how soon would he need to start filing paperwork for moving to off-base housing, or trying to get base family housing once we are married?

If he gets a remote as his first tour, or is deployed before I graduate, I will stay here, since I have family nearby.

MrMurphy
03-17-2008, 03:26
I've been in Security Forces coming up on 3 years. Have him PM me. It's NOT what he thinks and unless (and even if) the recruiter was a cop (HIGHLY unlikely) he probably has some misconceptions about the job.

Depending on the base, even after marriage you may live on base (if there's enough on base housing). Basically if you're under a staff sergeant you don't exist. As a 1 or 2 striper you have no life and no rights. As a single one, you pretty much HAVE to live on base as a cop because they need instant recall capability (if the base is attacked, etc). At our base the dorms and the armory are across the street. There's a reason for that.
Until he gets married AND you arrive, he's considered "single". Once you arrive he can put in (or if you're about a week out) for on base married housing, or offbase housing depending on the base. My base has no married on base housing (too small) so anyone married, or Senior Airmen with 36 months in and above, are off base.

If he wants to go to Europe, as I did, I recommend putting all European bases on his dream sheet in basic. The only US bases I put were ones I wanted but was unlikely to get (Eglin, NORAD, etc). No guarantee he'll get any of them, but it's more likely.

xxKylexx
03-17-2008, 13:09
Hi fellow Hoosier

1. No base housing. So your correct there.

2. Maybe, but probably not. Depends on how cool his first Sgt. is; and availabilty of dorm rooms. If their crowded for rooms, then he might have a chance.

3. Yes. I know he can apply the first day at his first duty station. Maybe he can in the last week of tech school but I'm not sure.

If you have questions that you want real answers to, Pm me, My best friend is an AF recruiter, and I was active duty AF also. If I could give you guys one piece of advice. Don't be a SP. Go into health care.

BTW SP's don't hate my statement. I was a jet engine mechanic, so this is an unbiased comment.

MrMurphy
03-17-2008, 15:58
We haven't been SPs since 1997.

meeko
03-17-2008, 17:43
We haven't been SPs since 1997.

As a 21 year SP/SF veteren I'm pretty sure of it when I say the base populace will always call us SP's!

AF-Odin
03-17-2008, 20:40
And some of us are even old enough to remember when y'all were APs. Regardless, I agree with Meeko, everybody I know that is in an AFSC other than SF still calls them SPs.

MrMurphy
03-18-2008, 01:39
Yeah, I know. (With the exception of one drunk guy we handled on St. Paddy's day, who was still sober enough to happily yell "Hey, SECURITY FORCES!!!!!!!!!!!" and try and give us a drink. Yeah, that didn't go down too well. CE guy.

Sam White
03-18-2008, 16:58
At my base, we have a lot of 25-30 year folks, who've been in the ANG for most of their time. Most of them refer to Security Forces as Security Police or use both terms in the same sentence. The ones who've come in during the last few years call them Security Forces. There are some places where there are still signs on base or phone directories with SP on them. Time marches slowly around here.

coondog22554
03-19-2008, 11:04
:arg:

Josh Aston
03-21-2008, 11:18
Why is he enlisting? He has a degree, get a commission. 0-1 is better than E-3 any day of the week. More money, better treatment, I'd strongly advise against enlisting. I'd also recommend against going Security Forces. It really isn't what he thinks it is.

MrMurphy
03-21-2008, 11:28
Being SF myself, and having PM'd him, actually, yes, he has a very good idea what he's getting into.

liberty911
03-23-2008, 05:11
quote from MrMurphy:
"Until he gets married AND you arrive, he's considered "single". Once you arrive he can put in (or if you're about a week out) for on base married housing, or offbase housing depending on the base."

Not married=Dorms

Married=Wherever he wants to live.

In tech school, once he has orders, he can contact the housing office at his projected base and be put on the waiting list. You may have to sign paper work in person for military family housing. Otherwise, he may seek off base housing on his own.

Whether you are physically with him or not, he will be authorized to live off base. Many Airmen have spouses who attend school at different locations and are not forced to live in the dorms.

On a side note, most bases are privatizing housing, so living on base may or may not be the right option for you.

No matter what you guys decide, good luck! The Air Force will be good to you if you are good to it.

MrMurphy
03-26-2008, 10:31
It all depends where you are. I'm out of Aviano was definitely married, but until wife was 1 week out, I was not authorized to even sign a contract on an offbase apartment (and all marrieds live off base). I was an A1C at the time (SrA with 36 months in and above all get offbase anyways) which had something to do with it.

liberty911
03-28-2008, 05:47
Overseas is definately the exception.

LilCop2002
04-03-2008, 08:48
Mr. Murphy, is he really sure of what he's getting into? We all know that this AFSC isn't for everyone and 90% of the SF that I know are getting burned out on it.:yawn:

MrMurphy
04-03-2008, 22:22
Sent a couple pages worth of no-BS info on the job, and REALLY how it is (in my experience and that of others). He won't be going in uneducated (I knew what I was getting into as well, similar info from a now-out SSgt).

RF7126
04-03-2008, 23:09
Sent a couple pages worth of no-BS info on the job, and REALLY how it is (in my experience and that of others). He won't be going in uneducated (I knew what I was getting into as well, similar info from a now-out SSgt).

MrMurphy's been a fantastic resource for me. He's given me so much no-nonsense info that I have to read it more than once to absorb it.

I'm happy to get info from anyone who feels like PMing/emailing me. I've heard lots of bad from various people, but I just can't imagine doing anything else.

MrMurphy
04-04-2008, 00:00
While the job does suck in most people's opinions, it is what you make of it. There's days when I've had a ball (ambushing Army guys as OPFOR, being part of a 40-man exercise, as the man in command, as an E-3 because the area supervisor decided to see if you could hack it in what's usually a situation commanded by a E-7), doing room entries during training, etc. But I've also been rained on, snowed on, nearly puked on, roasted, frozen, and pissed off more times than I can count. There's good days and bad days, if you come prepared for either, with all your gear, and don't let crap get to you, it's not so bad. Especially in your case where you're not likely to go career. There is an end in sight.