Place to retire? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Place to retire?

APD
03-17-2008, 14:34
Hello ladies and gents.
I am a current LEO and veteran in TX who is looking to possibly settle down in KY when my retirement comes around (not for a decade or so though).

I am looking for places to start looking for land, 5-50 acres in the hills or heavily wooded area somewhat away from polulation.
I will have spent almost 35 years as a cop and soldier so I will be looking for a vacation from people if ya know what I mean.
I am looking at getting land and building a modest house with some acreage and solitude.

Can someone point me in the right direction like which county, etc?

Requirements;
Within 70-80 miles from a reputable hospital and metro area.

Reasonably far from huge population in case things with the economy get VERY worse..not a fan of unwanted guests.

Thanks in advance.

lordjim_2001
03-17-2008, 21:04
Check out the Danville, KY area. An hour to Lexington, there is a good hospital in town. The bad part about it is there there isn't a dedicated gun shop in town. I feel like I'm pimping out my dad but he is a realtor in Danville. PM me if you want his number. There are lots of little farms and acreage in the area for sale.

APD
03-18-2008, 18:51
Thx for the info, keep it coming.

I promise I am a good neighbor.

I do take walks in the woods and like to target shoot.:supergrin:

amr40509
03-19-2008, 06:12
I grew up in a place called Hawesville, in Hancock County Kentucky. It honestly sounds like it is exactly what you are looking for. If you are looking for property there, they have a once a week newspaper called the Hancock Co. Clarion (they have a little web site too) that has all of the property listings in it.

It's a rural community - 30 miles from the mid sized town of Owensboro. 60 miles from Louisville.

Even has a great little gun shop (Ace's Guns, owned by a fine fellow named Monty Quinn). Has a couple of shooting clubs w/in an hour of there too.

My parents still live there and I have been kicking around the idea of buying some more land out there myself to retire on one of these days.

Berretta9
03-19-2008, 07:59
Hawsville. I used to stop there once a week or so. I'd agree , it sounds like your kind of place. Louisville is about 70 or 80 minutes away and Owensboro is about 20 minutes down the road if you need to hit a mall.

amr40509
03-19-2008, 15:04
Hawsville. I used to stop there once a week or so. I'd agree , it sounds like your kind of place. Louisville is about 70 or 80 minutes away and Owensboro is about 20 minutes down the road if you need to hit a mall.

Wow, stopping in Hawesville, about the only place to stop would be Bill's IGA, not much else to stop at unless you were involved w/ one of the factories.

Land is still cheap there too, and you can get great deals on homes and really the population doesn't change too much. Not too much movement in/out so the market doesn't really go up much.

APD
03-19-2008, 19:17
Great starting points guys thanks.
Are any of these areas in hills or heavily wooded areas?
I had my mind set on the Rockies a few years back until I spent a few weeks there and found out I cannot breathe above 6 thousand feet hardly!:wow:

lordjim_2001
03-19-2008, 20:23
South West Boyle Co. is in the knobs region of Kentucky, so it's kinda hilly. Danville is in the north east part though. You can also try Garrad County. It's about 1.5 hrs from Lexington and doesn't have a hospital if I remember right but it's pretty hilly and wooded in most areas. If you can make the time for it take a couple of weeks and come to KY and set up some tours of areas with local realtors. They'll know whats going on and if you give them your requirements they'll hook you up. That's what they do.

SDGlock23
03-20-2008, 09:22
+1 for Danville. It's a good town and you're 40 minutes away from Lexington, and about 80-85 miles from Louisville, so you're not very far from two big towns. There are quite a few nice communities (w/ lots of nice homes) here and you can even live on the lake (Herrington lake). If you like the water, you're about an hour away from Lake Cumberland too. Like lordjim said, there's not a dedicated gun shop here in town, but Buds gun shop in Paris isn't too far, and Gilberts in Frankfort is less than an hour away.

Berretta9
03-20-2008, 20:00
Wow, stopping in Hawesville, about the only place to stop would be Bill's IGA, not much else to stop at unless you were involved w/ one of the factories.

Land is still cheap there too, and you can get great deals on homes and really the population doesn't change too much. Not too much movement in/out so the market doesn't really go up much.

There was a doctors office there I called on

APD
03-20-2008, 22:43
Awesome info thanks to all.:cheers: