PDA

View Full Version : Open Carry Stories and Experiences, Vol. I

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4

DOA33
11-24-2008, 10:57
:crying:your lucky we can't even oc into a place that serves.:steamed:

mnglocker
11-24-2008, 11:40
Hey, everyone. Love hearing about all the good OC stories, I read all the pages at work, I couldn't even concentrate my work.

I've had my MN carry permit for over a year.

My first OC was at a bar with a friend for lunch a short time after I received my permit. I could be considered a regular there, but the bartender/waitress that knew me well wasn't there that day and I had on my new Taurus 1911 in a Galco shoulder holster while I was dressed for office work. It wasn't busy, but got a few looks from patrons, but nobody ran out screaming. I didn't know the waitress, but she didn't blink an eye, got great service. It was funny, we were going to go to McDonalds, but it was entirely too busy, not to mention every LEO was having lunch there.

The second time was recently, I had a pre-order at a GameStop in Minneapolis and just didn't want to throw on my jacket. Same gun, same rig. They have two tills there and their was one employee helping only one customer. So I came to the counter with my slip in hand, as to prove I was going to give them money. A employee (I have a feeling he was the manager for that store) came out right away and helped me promptly, very nice, and didn't blink an eye. Everyone who pre-orders Mirrors Edge gets a shoulder bag modeled like the one in the game, so he ran back and picked up right away. Then I glanced at the other customer (on my magazine side) and he was looking me up and down. I gave him a half-smile, then he became un-interested.

No fuss either times. Another good thing was that shoulder bag became a perfect range bag, it had alot of pockets on the front, perfect for safety glasses and clips and was the perfect size to hole all my 11x17 printed targets.

Funny how that works isn't it? :wavey:

One of these days I'll carry my M4 to the effen gopher bar. :supergrin:

Jai9100
11-24-2008, 17:45
Funny how that works isn't it? :wavey:

One of these days I'll carry my M4 to the effen gopher bar. :supergrin:

:wavey:

you'd, more than likely, get 10% off your meal:rofl:

JohnHoliday
11-24-2008, 20:19
:crying:your lucky we can't even oc into a place that serves.:steamed:

Same here.

It makes carrying a lot more difficult, I hate leaving my carry in the car.

edit: On that note, I've continued to open carry, with no problems at all.

firemt04
11-25-2008, 15:02
In Arkansas we can't OC at all. I really wish that we could though.

Warp
11-27-2008, 12:29
Openly carried to a new location th other day: Police Station.

Nobody said anything.

Jai9100
11-27-2008, 12:47
I don't know about atlanta, but you had better enjoy citations if you carry in a police station in MN

mnglocker
11-27-2008, 15:13
I don't know about atlanta, but you had better enjoy citations if you carry in a police station in MN

You better read the MN Statutes again, because it's perfectly LEGAL. Jails are not, and most often the area containing the holding cell(s) at the police station is all that counts.

Jai9100
11-27-2008, 15:37
You better read the MN Statutes again, because it's perfectly LEGAL. Jails are not, and most often the area containing the holding cell(s) at the police station is all that counts.

Ah, thank you for the correction. I thought I remembered at least one of those were off limits when I last read up.

JohnHoliday
11-27-2008, 15:38

Nobody said anything.

haha, nice. Its not legal to carry in any goverment building in NC I think.

Warp
11-27-2008, 18:47

Same in Georgia.

But I wasn't in Georgia.

TheEggman
11-28-2008, 08:59
More pride in VA every day.

The VCDL (www.vcdl.org) holds its regular meetings at a Gov't. Center which is also a police substation.

bloodysunday
11-28-2008, 17:18
Well, today was very interesting at Wal-Mart! :wow:

Went to to set up an account at the pharmacy. Opened carried G22 in a Sidearmor IWB, spare mag, Surefire, cell phone. Wore khakis and a polo shirt.

Now that's out of the way, store was busy, but no one said anything about anything - people did notice, but when I smiled, they all smiled back.

I walked around shopping, then headed to sporting goods for .40 WWB and a quick check out.

There was a young man behind the counter. He wore a ball cap turned backwards with the Marine Globe & Anchor stitched on the back.

He looked down at my pistol, "Is that a Glock 23?"

"No, it's a 22," I said. He asked what I needed and I told him.

"Sir, is this for a pistol? If so, you are going to be surprised by what I'm going to tell you, but I cannot sell you pistol ammo."

He asked for a moment to call for a manager. Now, for a split second, I thought it was the open carry. Then he started to explain while on the phone.

"Recently, Wal-Mart changed its policy on the sale of handgun ammo by associates under the age of 21. I am a Marine Reservist. I am old enough to bear arms for my Country and die doing it, yet I cannot be trusted to sell handgun ammunition. I own and open carry my own pistol because Virginia says it is my Right. Wal-Mart, on the other side, says I can't sell ammo to fellow citizens."

I reached out my hand, shook his, "Thank you for serving Marine."

At that moment the manager and an older sporting goods sales associate came up. The Marine explained to the manager I wanted ammo for my Glock, pointing to my belt. She looked there, nodded to me and said, "Sorry for the delay sir, but new policy doesn't allow some of our finest young associates to sell handgun ammo. They can wear they Uniform of a Marine, they can die for our Country, but they can't sell ammo. It is a disgrace to their good character."

"Ma'am, I agree." That's all I could say. I shook each one's hand and left.

As I walked away, the manager said, "You stay safe, sir."

"Yes ma'am, I shall do that."

Talk about walkin' tall and feeling proud!! I'd been in the company of real Americans.

:patriot:

that seriously got me all misty-eyed

Resqu2
11-28-2008, 18:07
OC'ed everywhere we went today, Mall, Lowe's and a few other places. No one noticed or if they did they didn't call the police or freak out on me.

My poor ol wife didn't even notice till we were at our last stop which was a sit down restaurant that I HAVE to OC at due to state law.

Took my Kimber out today and keep it on my right hand side and kept the ol lady on the left hand side, guess that is why she didn't notice. If she had noticed earlier all I would of heard the whole trip would of been "Cover that THING up"

bloodysunday
11-28-2008, 20:43
OC'ed everywhere we went today, Mall, Lowe's and a few other places. No one noticed or if they did they didn't call the police or freak out on me.

My poor ol wife didn't even notice till we were at our last stop which was a sit down restaurant that I HAVE to OC at due to state law.

Took my Kimber out today and keep it on my right hand side and kept the ol lady on the left hand side, guess that is why she didn't notice. If she had noticed earlier all I would of heard the whole trip would of been "Cover that THING up"
haha :D

MedicOni
11-29-2008, 11:15
Finally OC'd for the first time out of my apt. G19 in a Glock factory sport holster on my left side, one spare mag on the right side in a glock factory holder. Went to Sportsman's Warehouse and REI while carrying. Only got one lady who was upset at REI. She had a little one and told me that I should not carry a gun in public.
I politely told her that it was legal in this state to carry openly or concealed. SHe walked off in a huff.

Only place I couldn't OC today was the gas station. NM law prohibits OC anywhere Alcohol is sold. CCW can carry at a package store, but no one can carry at a resturant where alcohol is served.

all in all a good day to try it. First time out of my apt complex!

SBD
11-29-2008, 12:55
Only got one lady who was upset at REI. She had a little one and told me that I should not carry a gun in public.
I politely told her that it was legal in this state to carry openly or concealed. SHe walked off in a huff.

Thanks for the story. I'm curious about this though--what did she say to you? And did her child have something to do with it (i.e. did she say, "You scared my tot")?

MedicOni
11-29-2008, 13:49
Thanks for the story. I'm curious about this though--what did she say to you? And did her child have something to do with it (i.e. did she say, "You scared my tot")?
I was just looking at backpacks for a new duty bag when she walked up to me and told me that I shouldn't carry. I doubt her child had anything to do, as it looked no older than 8 months or so. I'm not sure about her reasoning as she didn't feel very inclined to share

Beeman
12-07-2008, 22:35
I open carry a lot, and the only negative reaction I've ever had occured on my own property (local cop didn't like that I was carrying a gun). I carried at Wal-Mart and the gas station today with no problems except for Wal-Mart being crowded. There were two local cops in the Wal-Mart too, and I know one of them noticed my Sig 226 Elite at 3:00. Neither of them uttered a word about it.

rsagona1
12-07-2008, 22:45
I was just looking at backpacks for a new duty bag when she walked up to me and told me that I shouldn't carry. I doubt her child had anything to do, as it looked no older than 8 months or so. I'm not sure about her reasoning as she didn't feel very inclined to share
Should have asked her if she felt police should leave their guns in their cruisers, too.

loglat
12-08-2008, 06:32
Before I get started, I just want to say that Resqu2's multiple stories about him and his wife, and her telling him to "cover that 'thing' up!" get me every time.

I haven't done much open carrying outside of my home or my friends homes. Everyone around here seems pretty touchy about it. Even my friends who like/own/carry guns get uneasy about it. When I'm at my parents house, they always have a talk with me about my friends OC'ing in the house, or 'isn't that illegal?!'. I try to reeducate them, because while they're both gun owners, and my dad has his CCW, its been a while since either of them have carried. My dad only carries on long car trips... I don't really get it.

He does have a story though that he tells whenever the subject comes up. Apparently when he was much younger, living in Texas, he owned a Ruger Blackhawk in .30 carbine. It had a pretty long barrel on it, and he couldn't seem to find a holster, so he took it into a local sporting goods/gun store. Before he left the house, he called ahead to ask if he could bring his gun into the store, and of course they responded 'sure! no problem!' etc. Well he gets to the store, and since he doesn't have a holster, he opens the door carrying his revolver by the barrel, when he felt a strange vibe. He looks up and two or three of the sales associates have their guns trained on him. Feeling pretty disturbed, he pretty much mirrored my avatar, and never came back.

Granted, this was probably 25 or 30 years ago, but I can't imagine this happening in todays world. I guess it may have something to do with why he seems conflicted about carrying a gun sometimes. I'll keep workin' on him, but it's hard being his son and having experienced so much less than me. If nothing else, I can be a good example to him by emailing him good carry stories and carrying on a regular basis.

MaximaDrvr
12-08-2008, 12:57
My GF came to visit me this weekend, and I opened the door with my 23 on my hip. She asked me if I just went to one of those OC things. I told her that no, I had just got home from dinner and this is how I usually carry. She looks me dead in the eye and tells me, never carry that when I'm with you. I decided it would be best to leave it alone for the moment. SHE has a CCW permit, but does not own a gun.
Later I asked why she didn't want me to carry when I was with her. Her response: "It doesn't matter what I think because you are going to do it anyway." Her reason is that it doesn't make us safer and she thinks that I should only have it out at night, so if someone tries to break in then it will be available. Not sure what to think at this moment, but I will continue to OC (like normal) and CC when she is around.

IAmMcLovin
12-09-2008, 19:04
I OC 95% of the time. I've never been hassled. I've had lots of great discussions and chances to educate folks, though. I usually OC a shiny stainless government 1911 too, so it's not because of lack of visibility that I don't get hassled. It's just that OC doesn't cause the mass hysteria and panic that some people think it does.

abbradsh
12-16-2008, 09:24
Earlier this past week I noticed that there was a group from opencarry.org trying to organize a meet up for Saturday night. It was decided that this would be the set date (second Saturday of each month) for an open carry dinner here in the triangle. I made sure that my schedule was open and committed to going.

It was my first open carry meet up and one of the few times that I have open carried due to the fact that I have my cch permit. Saturday night rolled around and I met the group at CiCi's (the decided spot) for some high quality pizza. We ended up having seven people open carrying and one not for a total of 8 folks. I met a great group of folks with one guy driving all the way from Havelock, NC (3hr drive). It was a Saturday night so the place was busy with a large number of families present. The staff there was very courteous and didn't seem to mind that a large group of customers were open carrying. As expected there were no issues with the general public or law enforcement.

If you haven't been to an open carry meet up in your area I recommend that you attend one. Exercise your rights, if you don't they are too easy to take away. I had a great time and I am already looking forward to next months event.

HMayes
12-16-2008, 09:56
*wishing I could open carry*

-Mayes

FrogWithAGlock
12-16-2008, 12:48
Went to the local courthouse the other day, to transfer title to my vehicle. Noted a sign outside (on the actual courthouse), saying "No Open Carry of Weapons in this building". No mention of "please don't bring a gun into the courthouse", just no open carry. Apparently, the city (I live outside the city, in a nice, but rural area) had ordinances against open carry, but no "ban on guns in govt buildings", like some places. I have yet to discover what my local (rural) rules are, since I don't carry at all yet (but plan to when I am better trained).

Jagermiester
12-16-2008, 17:03
The only time I have ever OC'd,I was in a Subway and a cop behind me actually asked me if I was aware I was wearing a firearm. I just kinda gave hem a blank stare and he rephrased his question to do you have a permit for that. After I showed him my permit everything was fine, but due to the intellectual level of the city police officers in my area,I think I will stick with my IWB.

Lior
12-17-2008, 11:24
Different locales, different customs. My open carry experiences here in the Third World have mostly been favorable, i.e. the gun ignored by all members of the public.

Warp
12-17-2008, 11:42

Please read the first post of this thread.

RussP
12-17-2008, 14:38
Please read the first post of this thread.It says...****************************************
Lets try this as an Open Carry sticky.

Just post about your open carry experiences, any problems you had, and positive encounters with others. If you want, describe your carry rig, how you dressed, time of day, frequency of carry in that location...any details that will help others decide whether open carry is for them.

Remember, Open Carry is NOT for everyone.

Laws restrict open carrying in certain jurisdictions.

If you disagree with open carry, that's fine, but this thread is NOT for arguing pro/con open carry. Any posts in that vein will be deleted.

If you want to debate Open Carry, express your negative views, please, we encourage you to start a new thread.

RussP
Moderator <!-- / message --><!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: ad_showthread_firstpost_sig --><!-- END TEMPLATE: ad_showthread_firstpost_sig --><!-- edit note -->Sometimes, after reading 500+ posts, the message in the first one gets lost.

Seriously, if you want to discuss open carry, its merits and faults, do so in the general Carry Issues forum.

This thread really is for telling about your experiences while open carrying.

Thanks

Gimp
12-22-2008, 18:47
More tales of Open Carrying

The other day, I was in town (in my normal CC garb for the time of year) and there was a drastic turn in the weather. The jacket just got too warm to bear, so I left it in the car through my last four stops on my round of errands.

...and nothing happened at all.

(I love Arizona.)

Roofuss
12-25-2008, 11:48
I seldom open carry anymore even though it is legal here . The times i have done so, have been uneventful , but I have a Arizona ccp, and prefer to do so to avoid any potential issues . That's why its America...freedom of choice :thumbsup:

Warp
12-25-2008, 14:28
I open carried all over the MAJOR malls and retailers while doing Christmans shopping, including last minute shopping in major crowds. No issues, no negative reactions I was aware of.

JohnHoliday
12-28-2008, 13:31
I open carried all over the MAJOR malls and retailers while doing Christmas shopping, including last minute shopping in major crowds. No issues, no negative reactions I was aware of.

Good for you! I had planned on it, but once I saw how crowded they where, I decided it would be better to conceal carry, and flipped my jacket over the holster. I don't like open carrying when I have to brush by people often.

I did open carry at Best Buy a couple time over the past weeks, nothing strange happened at all, and I open carried at a Gun Show yesterday. A lot of people did notice at the Gun show, since I had quite a few people ask if I was selling. :P

This doesn't really deal with open carrying, but I wanted to post this and didn't think it deserved its own thread. I was pulled over last night, while CC at around 1:00 in the morning. I was in the passenger seat, and he said we where hugging the yellow line, and they had received a call earlier that someone was swerving all over the road.

As soon as he asked how we where doing, I informed him I had a permit, and was carrying. He asked where and I said my right hip. He shined his light there, couldn't see anything, and then asked what I was carrying. I told him a G23, and handed him my Permit and driver license. He went to his car for a minute, then came back and said have a great night, sorry for the inconvenience.

I think he might have been a little nervous when he saw the 400 rounds of empty ammo boxes in the back seat, but he was very nice, and it was a good encounter.

:embarassed:

Have a good new years everyone!

jimmeadows
12-28-2008, 16:21
I do not practice OC, but CCW instead. Nevertheless, I wanted to share my story of an observation I made-------I was at a Kansas City, Missouri, McDonalds about 8 a.m. just a few months ago grabbing some breakfast on the run. I noticed the man in front of me waiting to place his order was OC. (He did not have any sort of badge or uniform to indicate that he was with law enforcement or security but he definitely had a nice Glock at his belt holster.) The restaurant was moderately crowded. Throughout the entire experience, it was as if the gun was invisible. I did not see or detect any undue concern from anyone anywhere during the entire episode.

Harley Rider 1955
12-29-2008, 01:00
I live in Rhode Island and have an Attorney General's CCW, with this permit as opposed to the town chief permit I AM allowed to open carry. In RI I am sure if I ever open carried I would have a visit from the local LEO's very quickly. People around here wet their pants just from talking about guns, if they ever saw one I am sure a heart attack would follow.
It's legal to open carry long guns in my state. If you want to see nervous people, walk into a bank (think city-NOT small town) carrying a shotgun.

TheEggman
12-29-2008, 08:23
It's legal to open carry long guns in my state. If you want to see nervous people, walk into a bank (think city-NOT small town) carrying a shotgun.

Even better, try it with one of the UBGs (Ugly Black Guns)

happyguy
12-29-2008, 15:41
I open carried when I went to lunch today at the Red Lobster on Thompson Rd. between Hwy 31 and Madison Avenue in Beech Grove.

Still have my carry license, no one called the cops, no hysterics, no drama at all, just a quiet lunch with my wife and step daughter.

That's all, there's nothing more to see here... move along please.

Regards,
Happyguy :)

_JR_
12-30-2008, 22:49
Anyone OC carried in GA and had any problems?

Stories would be great thanks in advance. :wavey:

SBD
12-30-2008, 22:50

Yup--I believe Warp is in GA and OC quite a bit.

RussP
12-31-2008, 06:58

Stories would be great thanks in advance. :wavey:They are sprinkled all through this thread. Most all are boringly uneventful, which is good.

Warp
12-31-2008, 13:45
Yup--I believe Warp is in GA and OC quite a bit.

Correct you are, sir.

I do, multiple times a week on average.

No problems.

RussP
12-31-2008, 15:44

Stories would be great thanks in advance. :wavey:Correct you are, sir.

I do, multiple times a week on average.

No problems._JR_, Warp's a good guy for the most part (:supergrin:), if you have specific questions about carrying, contact him by PM.

Warp, if what y'all discuss warrants it, start a thread.

:cool:

AZson
01-01-2009, 18:33
With a CCW permit in AZ I know its illegal to expose your gun, so I'm leary about open carrying, not to mention you can not carry in a resturant that servers alcohal,
My OD G38 is sure a purty gun though.

Warp
01-01-2009, 19:14
With a CCW permit in AZ I know its illegal to expose your gun, so I'm leary about open carrying, not to mention you can not carry in a resturant that servers alcohal,
My OD G38 is sure a purty gun though.

Open carry is legal in Arizona. Without a license. Starting at the age of 18. The possession of a "CCW permit" does not change that, either.

jimmeadows
01-02-2009, 18:37
Quote:
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by jimmeadows http://glocktalk.com/forums/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=11938880#post11938880)
I do not practice OC, but CCW instead. Nevertheless, I wanted to share my story of an observation I made-------I was at a Kansas City, Missouri, McDonalds about 8 a.m. just a few months ago grabbing some breakfast on the run. I noticed the man in front of me waiting to place his order was OC. (He did not have any sort of badge or uniform to indicate that he was with law enforcement or security but he definitely had a nice Glock at his belt holster.) The restaurant was moderately crowded. Throughout the entire experience, it was as if the gun was invisible. I did not see or detect any undue concern from anyone anywhere during the entire episode.
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<!-- END TEMPLATE: bbcode_quote --><!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
Pretty cool huh? :cool: :wavey:
Yeah! Sometimes it's amazing what people DON'T notice.

Razoreye
01-03-2009, 18:22
There's a fat dude that walks around Walmart with a rolled up cowboy hat and a 1911 in some POS OWB fabric holster. But hey, if it works for him, I guess go for it. He looks like a slob and he shouldn't complain because everyone is judgmental. I guess he fits in with the crowd though, so it's whatever.

Warp
01-07-2009, 14:47
Hey hey, what do you know, I finally have something worth reporting.

I visited a Bass Pro Shop today. I have openly carried to this particular store at least four times previous, probably more like six times previous, and have even interacted with multiple employees before.

This is a first, for me: When I entered:

Employee: Do you have a license for that? [motions at gun on hip]

Me: Yes.

Employee: Can I see it?

Me: I prefer not to show anything to anybody othe than law enforcement.

Employee: To paraphrase: Our policy requires us to see the license if you want to carry it openly. I decided it was reasonable and quickly showed him the license, he looked at the expiration date very quickly, said thank you, and on I went, with a smile.

I noticed he then got on the phone for an extended conversation.

A short time later I was approached by a regular looking guy in jeans and a T-shirt who identified himself as loss prevention and asked if I had a badge for that. I said no. He said that a Georgia concealed weapons permit, which is what it sounded like I had, allowed concealed.....I broke in and explained the whole "it's not a concealed...it's a GFL..open or concealed is legal....in GA open carry is legal..." to which he responded with the store policy angle. I could cover the weapon or they could put a trigger lock on it. Those were the options I was given. I said "Then I will just leave." And turned around and started to walk to the front of the store. There was another customer, a man in his 50's maybe, who approached both of us, asked if it was what he thought it was (more or less) and said that he thought it was crap, and he talked to XYZ person about it, and that it wasn't a concealed license he had one he knew the laws I was perfectly legal so it would have to be a store policy, etc...

I stoppd at customer service on the way out and they called the manager down. I asked him what the policy was (and I asked about the loss prevention guy as he never showed ID and I never asked, he verified he worked there and was within his power), he says the policy is what I was told.....cover it up or put a trigger lock on. I told him how many other times I had openly carried there and the manager stated that he was shocked beause they were not doing their job all those times everybody ignored the gun. He apologized for the inconvenience but that was their policy and as a private business they had that right. I agreed, they certainly did, and now that I knew I would be leaving and not returning (they are usually over priced anyway).

My dad and brother are visiting from Indiana, they never seem to be able to believe that I openly carry everywhere, all the time, adn nobody ever says anything. I told them they are bad luck, this is the first and thus far only time any employee (or LEO) has ever asked or said anything. Go figure.

So no more Bass Pro Shops for me. :upeyes:

Edit: I talked at length to the other customer and hopefully he will join GCO. :cool:

Suuko
01-10-2009, 01:05
Not really anything exciting but since the majority (if not all) of the CCW classes in Arizona are full until May, I've been open carrying around for quite a while.

Anywhere it's legal, I'm OC'ing. Glock 19 and Serpa Holster...

Few looks here and there... biggest look was a security guard/rent a cop with a Beretta seeing me walk into the gas station. The look on his face when he had come in behind me looked as though "it was his duty to protect this gas station". I tried being nice to him and asked "How's it going?" and got no response.

I look like an off duty cop/military... fit, shaved head, jeans and a plain T-shirt, so I'm assuming most people think I'm a cop.

MaximaDrvr
01-10-2009, 11:55
So two nights ago I decided it was time to go grocery shopping. No one cared for the thirty minutes that I was going isle to isle.
Normally I use the self check out stations, as they are faster, but that night they had a line and one of the manned stations had a very short line.

SOP here, groceries getting scanned (person 1) and slid to the bagger. There is an older gentleman who was the bagger (person 2), and not fast enough to keep up with my large amount of groceries so another person came over to help him put stuff in the cart. This girl was probably 18-20 years old (person 3).

Person 3: *sees firearm on my hip and makes a gesture to person 1*
Person 1: Is that a firearm on your hip?
Me: *Slightly rotate so she can see my gun better as well as the two baggers* Yep.
Person 2: *smiles*
Person 1: Is it real?
Me: Yeah, it would be silly to carry a fake one.
Person 1: Well, you could just try and use it to scare people.
Person 3: Is it real?
Me: Yeah, its real.
Person 1: Are you an undercover? *Quieter* Are you an undercover?
Me: Nope, just an ordinary person.
Person 3: *to person 2* Do you see that gun on his hip? He has a gun.
Person 1: Why are you carrying that thing?
Me: I like to be prepared to protect myself from anything.
Person 1: So your not an undercover?
*I finish signing the credit card receipt and help load the rest of the bags*
Me: All of you have a great night.
Person 1: you have a good night too sir.

There was a bit more, but I don't remember all of it exactly. That was the gist of it though. Took about 4 minutes. It was one of the few time I don't have my DVR on my otherwise I would have transcribed it.
So, overall, not a bad experience at all. It was kind of funny their reactions to the gun. I never thought a person would refer to it as a firearm, and then ask if it was real. I think they were just more excited and interested than anything. The old guy bagging couldn't have cared less, as I know he noticed it before anyone had said anything. It was the first time for me that a conversation started.

You know what I was most amazed about? I spent $145 on groceries and I am a single person who lives by myself. This better last me at least a few weeks.

WCrawford
01-12-2009, 06:41
I posted this on Thursday the 8th of January at Opencarry.org and thought I'd post it here as well.

I went to early voting today for a Nashville special election. I took my mother along and she was still reading the sample ballot posted on the wall when I was finished voting. Having placed my "I Voted" sticker on my holster, I decided to have a seat in a chair near the entrance to the Election Commission building and I had this brief conversation with a poll worker (gentleman in his early 60's I'd presume).

Poll Worker: "What are you doing there?"

Me: "Just waiting for my mother to vote."

PW: "Ah, I thought you might be planning to shoot all the dead people who may be coming in to vote. They do that, you know, in Memphis"

Me with a big smile: "You Know a Zombie Squad at polling places would not be a bad idea."

PW laughing: "Yep, keep them zombies outa Nashville. Have a nice day."

In the several months that I have been open carrying, this is the most attention I have gotten.

RussP
01-14-2009, 10:23
Please, this purpose of this thread is to relate first person experiences while open carrying.

If you have a comment on a post such as, "Yes, that is what I experienced,", or "That same thing happened in [name of your state]", fine post that.

If you have questions or comments other than that, start a new thread in the main Carry Isseus forum. Please do not start threads within this thread.

Warp's story of his experience with BPS is a prime example. That is a thread in itself.

Lets keep posts here limited to first hand experiences.

Thanks

And, yes, posts that are deemed not appropriate are deleted.

rvrctyrngr
01-18-2009, 18:59
Did you not read the Moderator's post just above yours?
Added by RussP:

If this post makes no sense, let me explain.

Several GT members have posted comments here that to be very blunt, smell of trolling. Those posts were deleted, but not before other members posted warnings to the posters, like the one above, that this is a place to post first hand accounts of experiences/stories of and about open carrying.

As stated in the first post of this thread, if you want to discuss open carry, then start a thread in the main forum.
If you want to comment about a post in this thread, and that comment solicites responses, quote the post to which you're responding, copy it, and start a new thread in the main forum, pasting the quoted post in your response.

This thread has over 550 posts and over 41,500 views indicating the topic is of interest to more than a few people.

If you have a question about the rules for this thread, send me a PM.

If you choose to ignore the requests in the first post, the 552nd post, and this one, well, just understand the trolling is against GT Rules.

But, hey, everyone knows that and no one here is a troll.

Thanks for your cooperation.

RussP

mikebandw186
01-19-2009, 00:50
Had my first experience with open carry Saturday night. Met up with a group of OCers at a small family owned pizzeria. There were 7 of us, and we had the full approval of the management to be there, as long as we didn't take up too much space during the dinner rush. We got together and swapped stories about guns and whatnot, and also made some first plans for a spring barbecue get together.

I can't really say that nobody noticed, but due to our seating position I suspect very few customers knew we were carrying. The looks we got as all of us filed out at the end, all carrying, and 6 on the right hip, were somewhat astonished, somewhat surprised. But nobody gasped, called the police, fainted, pointed, or did anything out of the normal. Unfortunately, the "freaked out" looks we got from people driving by the front of the establishment had me a little worried. So after we had taken a picture to commemorate the event, I made my way quickly to my car and headed home.

So, for the most part, very uneventful. Just what I had expected.

Turbodog
01-22-2009, 18:27
Hello all. New to the group and thought I'd share my one (and only) time of OC'ing a handgun. This happened a couple of years ago in a Jefferson Parish suburb of New Orleans

My wife and I were out and about shopping in Jefferson parish one day, and she decided she wanted to shop for a few bargains at a thrift store. I have a CC permit and normally carry that way, but this time I didn't have a shirt covering my firearm. Louisiana is an Open Carry state so I didn't think anything of it. The firearm was in a IWB holster but it could be easily seen.

We wander around the store for a good half hour, find some stuff, get in line to pay. Finally get to register, pay for the goods and head out the door.

This is when it got interesting.

As I walk out a Jefferson Parish Sheriffs Office deputy walks in. I remember thinking, "ok, this could be about you" and before the door even closes behind me, I hear someone say "that's him!"

Then I hear "Excuse me, sir!"

The deputy came out and asked me if I was carrying and I said yes (though he could clearly see it). He also asked if I had a CC permit and I said yes to that too.

He asked that I put my hands on the wall and told me he was going to remove my firearm. He was surprizingly polite about it. I did as directed and he took the gun and my wallet after I told him my ID and permit were in it.

Next thing I know the parking lot is full of JPSO cruisers and a big sargent runs up with a shotgun, looking like he would love to use it. This guy was the complete opposite of the initial responding officer. Questioning me in a loud voice "Who are you!", " Why are you carrying a gun!", etc.. He claimed they had gotten a report the place was being robbed but I don't see that as an excuse for his confrontational and unprofessional attitude.

The officers went in and spoke to the staff and other patrons, who told them I had just walked around the store like anyone else, stood in line quietly and paid for my purchases. Never bothered anyone. I stayed polite with the officers and answered all questions. But damn, that sargent sure wanted someone shot or in jail! http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/images/emoticons/shock.gif

Eventually, (after loud discussion on his part) the other officers convinced him I hadn't done anything wrong and they all left except the initial officer, who slipped my unloaded firearm back in it's holster with orders not to reload till he had left the scene. I don't know that officers name, but he was calm and polite through the whole thing. While I wouldn't say this was a pleasant experience, this guy obviously must have known OC is legal and handled the whole episode in a very professional manner. It would have gone much quicker and smoother without the presence of that sargent.

Haven't attempted open carry since. http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/images/emoticons/big_grin.gif

I'll also add that I'm a heavily tattooed biker with long hair (in a tail that day) so in no way could I be mistaken for a member of Law Enforcement, which I'm beginning to believe, is how most folks seem to get away with open carry. Observers believe that the neatly dressed, well groomed fellow must be a cop or why would he be carrying a gun around? Don't we just all feel safer? Whereas, should I walk about with a firearm on my hip, the populace goes into a panic over the psychopathic biker whom you can obviously see will shortly pull leather and begin his murderous rampage!

ah well....

racer125
01-23-2009, 00:08
I'm sure the biker image had a lot to do with it, I would add that since you were using an IWB, rather than some type of OWB, may have had something to do with it, as well. (may have been partially concealed, ie; tucked in)

As mentioned ealier, OC or CC, make it obvious. just my 2 cents. Here in St. Louis city, OC is prohibited

_JR_
01-23-2009, 00:55

Nobody said anything.

WOW Police Station I thought its government owned?

Warp
01-23-2009, 09:33

So?

(I was not in GA ;) )

mnglocker
01-23-2009, 10:33
So?

(I was not in GA ;) )

Here in MN, State/municipal agencies can NOT post. :supergrin:

pullnshoot25
01-23-2009, 11:57
I do a lot of UOC (unloaded open carry) out here in California since that is pretty much the only legal way I can open carry, short of being in the boonies or on my own property. Here is my blog.

http://caopencarry.blogspot.com

CARRY ON!

-N8

WCrawford
01-23-2009, 22:43

Laws on where it is and is not legal to carry will vary greatly from state to state.

In VA, you can carry openly or concealed even in the state capitol. Here in TN, I have openly carried when early voting at the county election commision's building, but I could not do such at my local polling place (it is an elementary school). Then there are states like Illinois where a federal official carrying a gun will get a commuter train stopped by multiple police departments armed with M16s (according to the news report I saw).

TennesseeG23
01-25-2009, 17:07
Well, I have lived here with my wife and 5 kids for a little over 3 years now. We love the area and Tennessee is a great state.

I have open carried since we moved here, at least in the summer months when it is warm.

So far, I have had no problems, no bad comments, no awkward looks or anything that could be considered a bad experience in any way.

I have had a few comments but all good. One was an off duty LEO who commented on my holster, a Blackhawk SERPA, he stated that he also carries in one. One was an on duty Shelby County Sheriffs Deputy who asked if I was an off duty LEo and when I told him no, he just winked and smiled and told me it was good to see folks carrying to protect themselves.

A few other things but pretty much all like that. Open carry is not uncommon here in Shelby County. No one freaks out about it and the police are all aware of the fact that it is 100% legal so they don't get uptight either.

Ghosty
01-25-2009, 17:24
This happened back in the summer of 2008.

I went shopping with my wife and kids at the local Krogers. I was wearing a black t-shirt, a pair of coyote brown 5.11 pants, and a pair of coyote brown Blackhawk boots.

I was open carrying an all-black XD .45 in a coyote brown Safariland drop-thigh holster.

We walked around the store, did our shopping, and loaded the bags into the trunk. Nobody said anything, but just a few odd looks. Good OC experience.

As I was pulling out of the Kroger's parking lot, I said to my wife "I only got a few odd glances while shopping". She replies "What do you mean?"

I said "for opening carry my weapon in this drop-thigh holster". She looks at my leg and her mouth drops open.

She says "Oh...hell, I didn't even notice it the whole time". :wow:

wsvjr
01-27-2009, 22:41
As I was pulling out of the Kroger's parking lot, I said to my wife "I only got a few odd glances while shopping". She replies "What do you mean?"

I said "for opening carry my weapon in this drop-thigh holster". She looks at my leg and her mouth drops open.

She says "Oh...hell, I didn't even notice it the whole time". :wow:
WOW lol

Resqu2
02-03-2009, 10:26
So I'm in line minding my on business and 3 State Troopers got in line behind me, I had my G27 in a retention holster as I always do and after a few minutes the Senior Trooper leaned toward me and ask me how I liked my Glock.

I panicked and thought about all the threads about not talking to the police and thought this is a trap and I'm going to jail, NO not really, I told him how it was the best pistol that I have ever owned and how it would eat anything I put in it. He said he hadn't really handled one much but he really liked the Sig's that they carry, he talked about how reliable they were.

We went on to discuss the 1911's and I finally got my order and we exchanged be careful l's (coming a big snow here) and I went on my way.

Very positive open carry experience, none of the 3 Troopers seemed to mind a citizen carrying a pistol on their side.

Jaustin
02-07-2009, 19:11
Resqy2 that was a great encounter!

I open carried for the first time today. I had my Glock 19 in a Blackhawk Serpa on my belt at my 4 Oclock. I was on my way to the range with my wife and our married couple friends when we decided to stop for something to eat. We chose McDonalds and decided to go in and order. I was nervous for about 2 minutes but it just came natural after that. My friend Tom was also open carring his G23 in the same manner as me. We went up and ordered, nobody noticed behind the counter but the biker group that came in behind us noticed.

We got our tray and drinks and sat down and ate and exchanged a few words with a senior gentleman sitting to my right. When we got up to dump our trays and refill our drinks a few more people noticed including the senior that we had sat next too. He smiled and said you guys take care.

It was a good experiance and I must say I like it. I am also a one in the pipe kind of guy so my Glock is ready to go.

And on a side note i love the blackhawk serpa holster. The finger brake is sweet and it's very natural. It helps you keep good trigger controll too when you unholster your gun. You finger is in a natural forward position so when the gun comes out your finger is off the trigger.

It's reading the stories on this sight that made it easier for me to CC or OC. I will be CCing most of the time but if i'm out to the range i'm going to be OC'ing.

Nothing exciting but it was my first time.

Jason

Jai9100
02-07-2009, 19:24
It's reading the stories on this sight that made it easier for me to CC or OC. I will be CCing most of the time but if i'm out to the range i'm going to be OC'ing.

Congrats. I bet the older guy was glad to think some people still remember the "old" ways/days. :supergrin:

Know your range preferences before OCing there. The one I go to is kinda small but is my favorite, I can OC as long as I have a carry permit. The other one not only is more expensive, but also more up their own posteriors.

MaximaDrvr
02-07-2009, 22:12
We had our monthly OC dinner in Raleigh/Cary NC tonight.
Once again we had zero negative encounters, but lots of good discussion over dinner at Crazy Fire Mongolian Grill.

I had one gentleman behind me in line ask if I was LEO, then if I had a permit, then if it was legal, then what the laws were to carry.
Then he asked me if he had a criminal record from his younger days if he could get a gun or carry. I told him he would have to check on his own about that.

Resqu2
02-08-2009, 07:52
Resqy2 that was a great encounter!

I open carried for the first time today. I had my Glock 19 in a Blackhawk Serpa on my belt at my 4 Oclock. I was on my way to the range with my wife and our married couple friends when we decided to stop for something to eat. We chose McDonalds and decided to go in and order. I was nervous for about 2 minutes but it just came natural after that. My friend Tom was also open carring his G23 in the same manner as me. We went up and ordered, nobody noticed behind the counter but the biker group that came in behind us noticed.

We got our tray and drinks and sat down and ate and exchanged a few words with a senior gentleman sitting to my right. When we got up to dump our trays and refill our drinks a few more people noticed including the senior that we had sat next too. He smiled and said you guys take care.

It was a good experiance and I must say I like it. I am also a one in the pipe kind of guy so my Glock is ready to go.

And on a side note i love the blackhawk serpa holster. The finger brake is sweet and it's very natural. It helps you keep good trigger controll too when you unholster your gun. You finger is in a natural forward position so when the gun comes out your finger is off the trigger.

Nothing exciting but it was my first time.

Jason

Welcome to Carry Issues Jason, glad your first time went the way it did, "nothing exciting" is what we like to hear. The more you do it the easier it will be and soon you will realize no one notices what is going on around them. Just dress and act normal and you shouldn't ever have a problem.

Jaustin
02-08-2009, 08:09
Welcome to Carry Issues Jason, glad your first time went the way it did, "nothing exciting" is what we like to hear. The more you do it the easier it will be and soon you will realize no one notices what is going on around them. Just dress and act normal and you shouldn't ever have a problem.

More than likley I'll be mistake for a LEO because of my short hair cut. I'm active duty Military. Once again thank you all for posting your stories, i love to read them and learn from them.

Jason

WCrawford
02-09-2009, 15:11
Saturday, February 7th.

A few of the posters from OCDO and I went to a local Shoneys restaurant and had our first Nashville face to face meet up (hopefully not our last either). There were 8 person present (4 males openly carrying, 3 wives/girlfriends/SO not carrying, and 1 six week old baby). We had a plesant dinner and talked. Basically had a good time.

Only one customer eyed us nervously. Otherwise totally uneventful, except for slow coffee refills. :)

TheEggman
02-09-2009, 16:39
Saturday, February 7th.
... (4 males openly carrying, 3 wives/girlfriends/SO not carrying, and 1 six week old baby). We had a plesant dinner and talked. Basically had a good time.

Only one customer eyed us nervously. Otherwise totally uneventful, except for slow coffee refills. :)

Can you blame them for staring ... a six-week old baby with 4 armed body guards? That must be one important baby! :)

RussP
02-09-2009, 19:18
Can you blame them for staring ... a six-week old baby with 4 armed body guards? That must be one important baby! :) :animlol: Mrs. RussP is LHAO.:animlol: That is excellent, TheEggman!!! :rofl:

flintg
02-09-2009, 21:52
Oklahoma has CC but no OC. Bummer!

DOA33
02-14-2009, 16:53
Had a run in with a assistant manager today. I went to go get some meat for dinner tonight and was walking towards the meat dept going past the cashiers. I heard a woman yelling "sir ....sir. ....YOU IN THE YELLOW SHIRT". I stop and turn around to face a little woman named Benita I said "yes". "Sir you can't carry that in here!!!" With a puzzled look I asked "what can't I carry?" "You’re gun there; it’s against store policy to carry CC/OC only the police are allowed." I said "what is your corp policy?" she answered with the same statement. I asked if I could disarm and if she could watch my cart. I go out and disarm and come back in looking for her & my cart. Found my cart but not her. I walked around till I found another lady and asked where she went and the name of the store manager. I was pointed towards to guys saying that those two are store manager & district manager; I go over to them & asked them the same question. One stated that since they have a D-6 permit to sell beer they don’t allow guns. I explained to him the law regarding this he was open minded & said he will call corp about it. We all 3 of us go to the service desk I waited while one was on the phone and the other on the computer. It took them 7 minutes before giving an answer. They told me that OC/CC was fine & that he was sorry for the confusion & stated that a sheep got scared & must have told the assistant manager about me. I said “I understood” & thanked him for his time to look into this. By the way the manager name that helped me is Scott. I’m going to give corp a call tomorrow about this, to give praise to Scott & see if they could train Benita better on their policy.

Warp
02-14-2009, 19:06
Sweet. :thumbsup:

Resqu2
02-22-2009, 18:14
On Saturday we stopped at a small sub shop to eat and I have my G27 on my side as I always carry it. My wife noticed 3 VA trooper cars in the parking lot and ask me to leave my gun in the car since they had guns we should be OK.

I told her that I didn't want the troopers using their guns to defend the sub shop because someone broke into my car and stole my gun and decided to rob the place with it. She shut up but she was really afraid that they would give me trouble for OC'ing with them around.

Got our order and sit just across from them and not one paid us any mind, guess it was good for the wife to see that they didn't care that I had a gun on me.

Warp
02-22-2009, 19:13
Plenty more open carrying with nothing to report.

I open carried at my old job last week. One of my co-workers (worked in my department, saw this person regularly) started a conversation about it and couldn't believe, when I told them, that I had carried concealed to work each and every day while I was there. They liked the idea, though.

Romeo
03-01-2009, 11:28
Congrats. I bet the older guy was glad to think some people still remember the "old" ways/days. :supergrin:

Know your range preferences before OCing there. The one I go to is kinda small but is my favorite, I can OC as long as I have a carry permit. The other one not only is more expensive, but also more up their own posteriors.

My father was a WWII veteran, but when he had found out I had an interest in firearms, he protested it. He hated that I owned firearms and probably wanted to strangle me after seeing I bought a rifle. This was years ago though. He had suffered from shell shock, and after returning from the war, he gave away all of the weapons he owned.

Romeo
03-01-2009, 11:32
There was a bit more, but I don't remember all of it exactly. That was the gist of it though. Took about 4 minutes. It was one of the few time I don't have my DVR on my otherwise I would have transcribed it.
So, overall, not a bad experience at all. It was kind of funny their reactions to the gun. I never thought a person would refer to it as a firearm, and then ask if it was real. I think they were just more excited and interested than anything. The old guy bagging couldn't have cared less, as I know he noticed it before anyone had said anything. It was the first time for me that a conversation started.

You know what I was most amazed about? I spent $145 on groceries and I am a single person who lives by myself. This better last me at least a few weeks.

About two years ago I was grocery shopping, and upon waiting in a lane to checkout, a man looked over at me and saw me OC'ing. He then asked "is that thing loaded", and I replied "why wouldn't it be?". I checked out, and left. No incidents.

Beware Owner
03-01-2009, 20:48
Last time somebody asked me what I was scared of. My response? "Nothing." Then, why are you carrying? "I'm ready."

WCrawford
03-03-2009, 03:28
I went into my bank yesterday afternoon (there is no security guard visible at this branch, armed or otherwise) while OCing. Walked up to the counter to fill out a deposit slip. Waited in line for one of the two tellers (at 3pm). Conversed about the economy with others in line as it was the topic being covered on CNN (specifically the stock market's closing at under 6800). Approached the teller and handed her my deposit and debit card.

The time inside the bank was close to 20 minutes. Not a single scream of terror. I highly doubt that anyone noticed.

Norman
03-03-2009, 13:30
Met up with a group of OCers at a small family owned pizzeria. There were 7 of us, and we had the full approval of the management to be there, as long as we didn't take up too much space during the dinner rush.

Did you guys not order food? Because if you did, why would you all be an inconvenience? You'd be paying customers, too.

mikebandw186
03-03-2009, 22:38
Did you guys not order food? Because if you did, why would you all be an inconvenience? You'd be paying customers, too.

Maybe I didn't say what they meant. We were paying customers, but we were planning on being there for a few hours, discussing possible get togethers in the future, They typically plan on customers being there for 30 minutes or less on Friday and Saturday nights. We felt it was wise not to overstay our welcome, or look like we were taking unfair advantage of the free refills.

Mingus Jim
03-16-2009, 20:38
I carried openly when we drove down to visit friends in Sun City West, AZ, a couple of weeks ago. We went to a store that sells motorcycles, etc. in Surprise. I had planned on only looking, but couldn't pass up the deal on a 2007, never-been-titled, Piaggio BV 500 motor scooter; it was marked down making it cheaper than a 2009 BV 250. Twice the engine size for less money; not hard to figure out if that was a good deal...

Anyway, when I was buying my helmet and gloves from the parts guy, my Glock 19 on my hip started an interesting conversation about guns and Glocks. He told me about his handguns and said his whole family is sold on Glocks.

I can't imagine that ever happening back in IL, whence I came. :cool::cool:

jimmeadows
03-16-2009, 23:43
I carried openly when we drove down to visit friends in Sun City West, AZ, a couple of weeks ago. We went to a store that sells motorcycles, etc. in Surprise. I had planned on only looking, but couldn't pass up the deal on a 2007, never-been-titled, Piaggio BV 500 motor scooter; it was marked down making it cheaper than a 2009 BV 250. Twice the engine size for less money; not hard to figure out if that was a good deal...

Anyway, when I was buying my helmet and gloves from the parts guy, my Glock 19 on my hip started an interesting conversation about guns and Glocks. He told me about his handguns and said his whole family is sold on Glocks.

I can't imagine that ever happening back in IL, whence I came. :cool::cool:
What a difference between Arizona and Illinois, huh?

:sadangel:

Norman
03-17-2009, 06:02
Maybe I didn't say what they meant. We were paying customers, but we were planning on being there for a few hours, discussing possible get togethers in the future, They typically plan on customers being there for 30 minutes or less on Friday and Saturday nights. We felt it was wise not to overstay our welcome, or look like we were taking unfair advantage of the free refills.

Understood. Yes, good show of common courtesy.

Jake Starr
03-21-2009, 15:11
I haven't had a probelm with OC so far and I am trying to promote it more in our area. If you wouldn't mind you can help me pass the word...

In Celebration of July 4 and our rights as Americans, New Bethel Church will be hosting an OPEN CARRY Celebration Service for all who support 1st and
2nd Amendment rights. It will be held on Saturday June 27th, the weekend before July 4th. It will begin at 5PM and picnic food will be served. We are asking responsible handgun owners to attend this service openly wearing their sidearm which is legal in KY. This will be a Cold Range Carry meaning handguns must be unloaded and in a secure holster.

Area gun store/firing range owners will be invited to attend and tell about their services. There will be patriotic music and short presentation concerning responsible gun ownership and 2nd Amendment rights.

There will also be a raffle to win a handgun. All that is asked is that you bring a sidearm, a friend who has a sidearm and a canned good for local food bank. For Info call: New Bethel Church 502-935-3257 or visit us @ http://www.newbethelchurchky.org/

Razoreye
03-21-2009, 15:40
Sounds great, Mr. Starr but unloaded? How do you mean?

Dang, you're on the other side of Louisville. That'd be a loooong drive. Hmmmm. Good luck! :thumbsup:

garebel
03-21-2009, 17:59
I haven't had a probelm with OC so far and I am trying to promote it more in our area. If you wouldn't mind you can help me pass the word...

In Celebration of July 4 and our rights as Americans, New Bethel Church will be hosting an OPEN CARRY Celebration Service for all who support 1st and
2nd Amendment rights. It will be held on Saturday June 27th, the weekend before July 4th. It will begin at 5PM and picnic food will be served. We are asking responsible handgun owners to attend this service openly wearing their sidearm which is legal in KY. This will be a Cold Range Carry meaning handguns must be unloaded and in a secure holster.

Area gun store/firing range owners will be invited to attend and tell about their services. There will be patriotic music and short presentation concerning responsible gun ownership and 2nd Amendment rights.

There will also be a raffle to win a handgun. All that is asked is that you bring a sidearm, a friend who has a sidearm and a canned good for local food bank. For Info call: New Bethel Church 502-935-3257 or visit us @ http://www.newbethelchurchky.org/

What a great idea.

The Church has been the cradle for some wonderful movements in the past...Rev. Martin Luther King's non-violent change in America for instance.

Why not let safe and responsible carry of firearms by law-abiding citizens be another one?

And if someone is a bit timid in making a decision for Christ, you can use a little leverage.......JUST KIDDING!:supergrin:

I live in Georgia (GO DAWGS!!!:supergrin:) so it wouldn't be possible for me to attend. I will be praying for the success of the service though.

Jake Starr
03-22-2009, 13:20
Sounds great, Mr. Starr but unloaded? How do you mean?

Reason is simply for insurance purposes and safety concerns. No different than what is required during events such as National gun day here in town or when shooting SASS or USPSA events. Gun unloaded and in a secure holster. I personally don't have an issue with loaded firearms and there will most likely be CCDW carriers present too and local LEOs. But legal issues can easily arise when one openly promotes such an event...at least that is what I was advised when talking with our insurance agent. As the pastor and a CCDW instructor I have come to find out that not everyone who is a legal gun owner is necessarily a responsible or safe gun owner. So this will just help to insure safety for all involved.

MaximaDrvr
03-22-2009, 13:43
OCed today, like most days.
Went to walmart because the GF needed products and for some reason couldn't manage to go without me.
Then went to McDonalds for some lunch.
Then went to the fun store so the GF could handle some weapons and pick out her first. I think we settled on a Sig 250 9mm for her. We will probably pick one up/ order one next week.

Again, no problems, no funny looks.

Warp
03-22-2009, 14:52
I open carried several times in the weeks since my last post. Nothing to report, not even strange looks. Sweeet. :cool:

Lone_Wolfe
03-22-2009, 15:02
Oh wait, I'm in the middle of a war!

:supergrin:

I'm glad to see this thread continue. Keep up the good work.

mnglocker
03-23-2009, 00:30
<--- still too freak'n cold here.

WCrawford
03-23-2009, 11:08
I went to the Walmart Neighborhood (Walmart's grocery store only chain) yesterday while OCing. The cashier noticed my G30 and started to ask me questions about how to get her permit to carry, since "There are a lot of crazies around here!"

skelator73
03-25-2009, 09:59
<--- still too freak'n cold here.

Which part of the great state of MN might you be from bud??? And I agree its "spring" now and there was snow on the ground when I went to work this morning :faint:

mnglocker
03-25-2009, 11:39
Which part of the great state of MN might you be from bud??? And I agree its "spring" now and there was snow on the ground when I went to work this morning :faint:

Just west of the mess in Wright County, it takes me 30 minutes down 394 to get to Down Town MPLS.

DOA33
03-27-2009, 14:30
OCed to the movie rental. Rented wall-e, strangers, & quorintine. All good movies but strangers was alittle dumb.

happyguy
03-28-2009, 10:40
I did not open carry today.

But I went to Walmart in Greenwood, IN and observed a young man with a cute daughter (about 14 yoa) open carrying a S&W M&P. There was no ruckus or commotion, not a bit of drama. No one payed any attention to him at all. I would have said hi, but I was in a big hurry.

He needs to get a nicer holster though. Something classy like an Alessi or something.

Regards,

WCrawford
04-03-2009, 11:20
My mother was taken to the emergency room at a local hospital, today. I was open carrying the whole time I was there without any person saying a word. Nurses, techs, EMTs, even a couple LEOs all saw me in the hallway (why is there never any doctor in the ER?).

I was very disappointed to see that the only security guard I saw was too busy with his nose in a newspaper to see who was coming in to the ER waiting room (and he was totally unarmed), but that is another matter.

Bill Lumberg
04-03-2009, 11:44
Pretty normal for security guards. Most hospitals can't afford off duty police, so I guess security guards are better than nothing. Hope your mom is alright.

Facejackets
04-09-2009, 10:17
I open carried two days ago. I went shooting in the desert a dozen miles out of town or so. On the way home I decided to OC. My girlfriend and her friend wanted some Dunkin Donuts, so we stopped in there.

I was very confident, and was very nice to the clerk, but I made him very nervous, you could tell. He even took my money, and brought it to the drive thru register, instead of the one right in front of us.

I got a lot of weird looks from some tourists, and my girlfriend said they kept on pointing at my right side, and they wouldn't get to close to me.

Thats ok though. I don't expect everyone to be "ok" when they see a gun. I got my food, and left, and no one called the cops so all in all, it went fine.

BTW, I was carrying my Glock 17, in a Triple K OWB holster

Warp
04-09-2009, 10:50
I open carried two days ago. I went shooting in the desert a dozen miles out of town or so. On the way home I decided to OC. My girlfriend and her friend wanted some Dunkin Donuts, so we stopped in there.

I was very confident, and was very nice to the clerk, but I made him very nervous, you could tell. He even took my money, and brought it to the drive thru register, instead of the one right in front of us.
I got a lot of weird looks from some tourists, and my girlfriend said they kept on pointing at my right side, and they wouldn't get to close to me.

Thats ok though. I don't expect everyone to be "ok" when they see a gun. I got my food, and left, and no one called the cops so all in all, it went fine.

BTW, I was carrying my Glock 17, in a Triple K OWB holster

That's pretty funny right there!

As a former fast food employee I do feel the need to tell you that it is possible he had to do that anyway. Things can get touchy when money is involved, sometimes person A's money drawer will be in the register up front but they are currently on break/occupied/etc and cannot assist the dining room customer. This may mean that another person handles the tansaction using the drive through register because it is their register or the register of a person who gives them persmission to use their drawer.

All that said, he was probably scared. There must not be many gun owners/carriers/open carriers in your area.

MaximaDrvr
04-09-2009, 15:07
I'll be OCing when I'm in Vegas in June.

RussP
04-09-2009, 19:19
Met my friend Monday to give him some PMAGs we bought. We were going to meet at a shopping center in his patrol area (he's a local County Police officer).

He called me while I'm on the way changing the meeting place to the police station. OK, I've been there often and all I'm doing is handing him some mags and I'm gone.

Welllllll, we meet and I find out we're meeting there because his computer modem is not working, so his GPS isn't working. He asks me how to fix it. We try a few things and nothing works...Oh, and I am open carrying my G22/Serpa/spare mag/Surefire 6P-D. Hey, I wasn't planning on being there more than a few minutes.

Well, as we're in and out of his car, other officers come out, I'm introduced to them. 40-minutes later, six new officers I now know, I have to leave.

Gosh, you know what, not a single one of them commented on my carrying. Can you believe that? We talked about my friend's lack of computer knowledge, their kids, the shootings in Pittsburgh, local bad-guys, but nothing about the old guy's carrying the Glock.

Yeah, those open carry hating cops, they must be out there somewhere...maybe one day I'll meet one.

RussP
04-09-2009, 19:34
Yesterday we took the daughter and her three kids to lunch for her birthday. We went to a buffet restaurant which happens to be a half block from Virginia State Police Headquarters.

I'm wearing a light jacket over my G21. The restaurant is cool, so I decide to leave it on since this restaurant doesn't serve alcohol.

We're eating and a woman nearby complains it is too cold for her. The waitress goes over, changes the thermostat, and within a couple of minutes it starts getting warm.

About this time in walks two State Troopers, both SGTs, with their wives. They head out to get their food.

I am getting warm in my coat, so I take it off.

The Troopers return. They are sitting on my strong side one table behind me. My Glock is in clear sight.

A little while later they get up for seconds, and as they return, both look at me, smile, nod and say, "Hi, how are you?"

My wife doesn't see that, and about 5 minutes later says, "They haven't even noticed."

"Noticed what?", I asked.

"You know..."

I told her, "Oh, I think they have, we ack..." She interrupted me and told me they were paying absolutely no attention to me. Now, that I agreed with.

We finished before they did. As I got up I turned to them and said, "Y'all stay safe." They told me to do the same.

Yep, there they had a MWAG right there in front of them, and they let me get away.

:yawn:

Maybe I need to go back to Wal-Mart and let my Glock set off the security scanners. :rofl:

xray678
04-10-2009, 18:40
I did not open carry today.

Me either. But while waiting on the wife, I went into Dicks Sporting Goods in Newnan, GA (south side of ATL). Saw a guy open carrying while shopping in the store. Out of curiosity, I watched closely for about ten minutes to see what kind of reaction he got. No one even seemed to notice.

chris in va
04-11-2009, 01:12
I've open carried a few times, most with neutral exclaimations ("wow, look at that GUN") and one positive pat on the back.

But one experience wasn't so lovely. I had just finished with a defensive class in Front Royal VA, stopped in to a gas station for a soda. I was OC my Sig 220/SERPA.

Lady next to me in line gets this big grin on her face, saying "excuse me, are you a police officer?"

No ma'am, I'm not.

Her grin gets bigger.

"Are you allowed to carry a gun like that?"

Yes I am. Perfectly legal to do so. (Probably shouldn't have added that, but oh well).

"Well, I've lived here my whole life and NEVER seen anybody carry a gun like that."

I'm sorry ma'am, not sure what to tell you.

At this point the clerks are asking each other, "what? What's going on?" The woman's grin got so big I could've sworn she was the Cheshire Cat. It was really surreal, kinda creeped me out actually.

I paid for my soda and left. No cops came thankfully.

SBD
04-11-2009, 12:57
But one experience wasn't so lovely...

I hate to laugh, but your description of that lady was hilarious. :cool:

Check out this thread, others on GT, and stories on other forums (i.e. OCDO) and you'll see that your experience wasn't that bad. It's all relative, of course--it's your own experiences that you care about.

For what it's worth, I think you handled yourself fine. You owed that woman nothing, but you managed to be courteous.

IMO, part of the stigma surrounding OC is that a good amount of people don't know that it's legal. I'd say you did something to help one more person realize that it indeed is (in VA anyway, where your story took place).

RussP
04-11-2009, 13:17
..."Well, I've lived here my whole life and NEVER seen anybody carry a gun like that."

I'm sorry ma'am, not sure what to tell you.

At this point the clerks are asking each other, "what? What's going on?" The woman's grin got so big I could've sworn she was the Cheshire Cat. It was really surreal, kinda creeped me out actually.

I paid for my soda and left. No cops came thankfully.She was probably carrying as well, just giving you a hard time. :supergrin:

Tarowah
04-12-2009, 07:54
I open carried here in Greensboro yesterday and the only problem I had was being put to work while in my local gun shop lol.

I didnt have any issies at all, I didnt go very far from the house and no one really noticed I guess, I did answer a few questions for people but only after one of the owners looked to me and asked for my input, I keep my mouth shut otherwise because I dont want to effect this guys buisness in a bad way, the questions were strickly Glock related and they know I am a huge Glock kool-aid drinker, I did however suggest a revolver over a Glock to one person and he bought the revolver.

All in all it was great.

garebel
04-12-2009, 09:06
I open carried here in Greensboro yesterday and the only problem I had was being put to work while in my local gun shop lol.

I didnt have any issies at all, I didnt go very far from the house and no one really noticed I guess, I did answer a few questions for people but only after one of the owners looked to me and asked for my input, I keep my mouth shut otherwise because I dont want to effect this guys buisness in a bad way, the questions were strickly Glock related and they know I am a huge Glock kool-aid drinker, I did however suggest a revolver over a Glock to one person and he bought the revolver.
All in all it was great.

Well, just say 22 Hail Marys(for my G22) and another 27(you can guess for what) to Gaston Glock, and it will be ok.:tongueout: :supergrin:

DOA33
04-12-2009, 13:16
OCed in Bob Evans to pick up rolls for easter dinner. Man they were packed.

Bigsxy
04-13-2009, 08:10
I live in PA were open carry is allowed with proper license. My sister works at lowes and they escorted and man out of the store for open carrying. I dont think they can legally do that.

HandyMan Hugh
04-13-2009, 08:46
I live in PA were open carry is allowed with proper license. My sister works at lowes and they escorted and man out of the store for open carrying. I dont think they can legally do that.

Actually (though I don't like it) they still can. It deals with property rights. The property owner or his designee can ask you to leave, and you MUST do so or be charged with trespass. I would like to see a "Place of Public Accomdation" law that would prevent a store or business owner from doing that. IMO, if the business invites the public in to do business, they should NOT be allowed to infringe on your civil rights. For right now, take your business to a gun friendly competitor, and let the first idiot know that he has lost your patronage 'till they change their policy. Then CC your letter to the corporate HQ of that company and let them know why they have lost your business.

BTW, OC in PA only requires an LCTF in the city of Filthadelphia. In all other places you can OC on foot. Use good judgement, however in liberal areas lest you end up having a discussion with officer Un-Friendly. SOME police haven't gotten the message from the AG that OC is legal and that trying to charge one with disorderly conduct for merely OCing won't cut it.

Be safe, HM H :supergrin:

Warp
04-13-2009, 08:49

They sure the heck can. And they SHOULD be able to.

And as covered in the above post except in Philly you do not need a license of any kind to openly carry a handgun in PA.

garebel
04-13-2009, 19:03
Actually (though I don't like it) they still can. It deals with property rights. The property owner or his designee can ask you to leave, and you MUST do so or be charged with trespass. I would like to see a "Place of Public Accomdation" law that would prevent a store or business owner from doing that. IMO, if the business invites the public in to do business, they should NOT be allowed to infringe on your civil rights. For right now, take your business to a gun friendly competitor, and let the first idiot know that he has lost your patronage 'till they change their policy. Then CC your letter to the corporate HQ of that company and let them know why they have lost your business.

BTW, OC in PA only requires an LCTF in the city of Filthadelphia. In all other places you can OC on foot. Use good judgement, however in liberal areas lest you end up having a discussion with officer Un-Friendly. SOME police haven't gotten the message from the AG that OC is legal and that trying to charge one with disorderly conduct for merely OCing won't cut it.

Be safe, HM H :supergrin:

Well said.

Did the Lowes store have any signs posted prohibiting carry of firearms?
If not, I would be curious as to who made the decision to so act.
I would absolutely make sure that the store manager, as well as district and regional managers get a copy of the letter that you send to corporate HQ.

Heck, those individuals might be surprised to hear that law-abiding customers are being treated in such a way....

Warp. didn't you have a kinda similar experience at Bass Pro Shop that turned out okay when the head of loss prevention for the company got wind of the situation?

Warp
04-13-2009, 19:06
Well said.

Did the Lowes store have any signs posted prohibiting carry of firearms?
If not, I would be curious as to who made the decision to so act.
I would absolutely make sure that the store manager, as well as district and regional managers get a copy of the letter that you send to corporate HQ.

Heck, those individuals might be surprised to hear that law-abiding customers are being treated in such a way....

Warp. didn't you have a kinda similar experience at Bass Pro Shop that turned out okay when the head of loss prevention for the company got wind of the situation?

Yes. Long story short they said I had to conceal it or leave, so I left. But I talked to a manager on the way out then I contacted the head of loss prevention. It has been corrected and the individuals who work at the store are not to supercede policy which states that if open carry is legal here and I have/show a permit they cannot tell me I have to cover it.

Well, they can, but their bosses would probably not be happy afterwards.

happyguy
04-16-2009, 13:48
There must be something in the air.

I got off work today and stopped at the bank on the way home to take care of some business and get some cash to pay my self-storage bill. I was OC and there was no drama.

Then I stopped by Taco Bell to grab some lunch. Again, there was no drama.

I then went to the self-storage place and as I was entering the office the old woman that manages the place started screaming that I couldn't go in there with my gun. I opened the door and hollered at the guy at the counter that I wanted to pay my bill but the old woman said I couldn't go inside and I asked him if he could come to the door and get my money. He did and the bill was payed. He was grinning and shaking his head the whole time.

I asked the woman if it was a written policy of the company that no guns were allowed and she said no. Then she told me that she didn't allow guns in there for her safety and for my safety and that she didn't even allow her customers who were police officers on the premises with their guns.

I told her that was fine and she would be losing a customer.

When I got home I contacted customer service and told them what happened. About 10 minutes later I got a call from the old woman and she was falling all over herself trying to apologize.

It was obvious when I was at the office that she was terrified of guns to the point of being hysterical. I didn't argue with her other than to point out that it was pretty silly for me to be conducting business across the threshold of the door.

Apology accepted and I am still a customer.

Edited to add: This occurred in Greenwood, IN.

Regards,

Jai9100
04-16-2009, 18:48
Hey everyone great posts. I'll add on to my previous post. I open carried today, it was the first 70 degree weather day here in minnesota (71 for the high!) and I decided that the G17+SOB holster needs some fresh air too!:supergrin::supergrin:

Went to the fillerup and pumped my tires back to summer psi. Some people around, I bet I recieved some looks from the coming and going, but no problems except for one guy waiting for a ride. He got a little close while I was pumping, but of course, I had an eye on him the whole time. I think he was curoius for the most part. His ride picked him up shortly. Kinda wish I had talked to him, or at least said "Hey".

Picked up some drinks from the station also, I've carried there before and had a carry conversation in the past with the manager and he was looking for information on the Minnesota Carry Permit so it was all good. :cool:

Grabbed some liquor from a store I haven't been to before. I know the till women saw me carrying, she seems a little disconnected until I greeted her nicely. She seemed to "pop" back to reality, a reality where I was just a good ol' american exercising my 2nd amendment, and my Minnesota Carry Permit (which allows any kind of carry, concealed or open, with no discrimination against liquors sales what-so-ever) No problems, no police interceptors meeting me in the parking lot.

Overall a fun, open kind of day. For the record, I'm a concealed-carry kind of guy. If I had to average how many time I openly carry in a year, it would be about 3-4 times. The main one being the 4th of July activities with my buds!

Warp
04-16-2009, 18:51
More open carry, more nobody seemingn to give a crap.

Jai9100
04-16-2009, 19:56
More open carry, more nobody seemingn to give a crap.

Isn't that the beauty of this thread? :supergrin:

SBD
04-16-2009, 20:33
Good story. But I will never understand this:

It was obvious when I was at the office that she was terrified of guns to the point of being hysterical.

I guess it's not for us to understand. :dunno:

Tiger3100
04-17-2009, 13:13

All in all it was great.

Nice to see someone else from Greensboro on GT. Normally when I open carry in Greensboro there are not too many issues, it all just depends on who is around I guess

garebel
04-18-2009, 07:40
About halfway through washing my van at a self-serve carwash yesterday, I noticed a car enter the back of the wash bay area, entering through the exit lane, and park next to my bay. I was not completely blocked in, but would have been a tight squeeze to get by when exiting, to say the least. That car and my van were the only two vehicles on the premises at that point. Not sure what the hell the two individuals had in mind as they stayed inside the vehicle with the sub woofers thumping.....you get the picture.
I had my little kel tec p32 in my pocket as usual, but decided to slap on the paddle holster with my G22 in it to finish off rinsing my van. I usually pull out of the wash bay to dry my vehicle, but since there was no one else around, I went ahead and toweled it off right there, making sure these guys got a look at the Glock.

They left as I finished up, before I had to try to squeeze by them to exit.
I wasn't looking for a confrontation, but I was ready for one if it came to that.

I've carried concealed for years, but also open carry occasionally at certain times, and underneath a jacket on occasion as well. I usually have my Glock in my van with me in any event.

Do I think having my firearm displayed openly gave these guys reason to reconsider what they had originally intended to do? Yeah, I really do. At least a very strong maybe anyway.
They obviously weren't there to wash their car....

Warp
04-18-2009, 10:17
About halfway through washing my van at a self-serve carwash yesterday, I noticed a car enter the back of the wash bay area, entering through the exit lane, and park next to my bay. I was not completely blocked in, but would have been a tight squeeze to get by when exiting, to say the least. That car and my van were the only two vehicles on the premises at that point. Not sure what the hell the two individuals had in mind as they stayed inside the vehicle with the sub woofers thumping.....you get the picture.
I had my little kel tec p32 in my pocket as usual, but decided to slap on the paddle holster with my G22 in it to finish off rinsing my van. I usually pull out of the wash bay to dry my vehicle, but since there was no one else around, I went ahead and toweled it off right there, making sure these guys got a look at the Glock.

They left as I finished up, before I had to try to squeeze by them to exit.
I wasn't looking for a confrontation, but I was ready for one if it came to that.

I've carried concealed for years, but also open carry occasionally at certain times, and underneath a jacket on occasion as well. I usually have my Glock in my van with me in any event.

Do I think having my firearm displayed openly gave these guys reason to reconsider what they had originally intended to do? Yeah, I really do. At least a very strong maybe anyway.
They obviously weren't there to wash their car....

Was the stall only open on one end? The places I am familiar with on could drive out either of two directions.

garebel
04-18-2009, 21:35
Yeah, I could have backed out of there I suppose.
To be honest with you, that thought never entered my mind at the time...although I realize it should have.

Warp
04-18-2009, 21:38
To be honest with you, that thought never entered my mind at the time...although I realize it should have.

Definately the best idea. If you can get into your car to get your gun, and feel that doing so is a good idea (especially when you already have a "gun" on you) a MUCH better idea is to leave.

"Walk a mile to avoid a fight, but once one starts don't give an inch".

"The best way to win a gunfight is to avoid it"

garebel
04-18-2009, 22:14
Definately the best idea. If you can get into your car to get your gun, and feel that doing so is a good idea (especially when you already have a "gun" on you) a MUCH better idea is to leave.

"Walk a mile to avoid a fight, but once one starts don't give an inch".

"The best way to win a gunfight is to avoid it"

When that vehicle entered through the exit lane and partially blocked me, I considered myself to be IN a confrontation and I reacted instinctively.

I'm not unhappy with myself as to how I handled the situation, and how it turned out...although it is definitely easy to second guess I suppose.

"(especially when you already have a "gun" on you)"

If I read this the wrong way I apologize, but you have mentioned your disdain for Kel Tec before, and that is how I took the comment above.
Yes, a Kel Tec p32 is indeed a "gun". You had trouble with a Kel Tec, mine has been flawless.
Different strokes.

Tiger3100
04-19-2009, 15:44
Pretty normal for security guards. Most hospitals can't afford off duty police, so I guess security guards are better than nothing. Hope your mom is alright.

hey hey hey, now I almost got affended to that JK. I work security and I know that security can be a pain in the rear. I tend to work with people more than be a pain, but I can also be a complete (insert word of choice) as well. I used to work hospital security ( NC) and where we worked there was no reading papers, or anything like that because we were too busy dealing with psych patients, and gang fights lol. But we did have it clearly posted "NO Firearms". I worked armed security now for a different company, and my wife works at a local hospital. When I go to see her before work I always have my belt on, and Im always duty ready. The hospital has no signs that say no firearms, but I believe it is illegal here anyway. I have talked to LEOs in the hospital on several occasions in full uniform and they dont seem to mind me carrying at all. Glad you didnt have any problems with the security

jimmeadows
04-19-2009, 23:47
To be honest with you, that thought never entered my mind at the time...although I realize it should have.I wouldn't feel too badly about that. We are all human. In those situations, in the moment, it is difficult to know the best action. After all, there are some unknowns in the mix.

I think that we have to aim (pun intended?) for the "walk away" action, but simultaneously be prepared for the worst. That is just using wisdom.

WCrawford
04-20-2009, 21:56
hey hey hey, now I almost got affended to that JK. I work security and I know that security can be a pain in the rear. I tend to work with people more than be a pain, but I can also be a complete (insert word of choice) as well. I used to work hospital security ( NC) and where we worked there was no reading papers, or anything like that because we were too busy dealing with psych patients, and gang fights lol. But we did have it clearly posted "NO Firearms". I worked armed security now for a different company, and my wife works at a local hospital. When I go to see her before work I always have my belt on, and Im always duty ready. The hospital has no signs that say no firearms, but I believe it is illegal here anyway. I have talked to LEOs in the hospital on several occasions in full uniform and they dont seem to mind me carrying at all. Glad you didnt have any problems with the security

I work security as well. I hate that police officers are allowed to work security without a license in Tennessee. I pay plently to the state for my license to practice my chosen profession. I also hate the argument that police aren't paid enough and have to work security. Full time security get paid less than police, and police officers working security lowers the pay for those of us who are not police.

solomansousana
04-21-2009, 12:53
In Virginia, police officers who "moonlight" as security are required to be paid a certain amount by the city meaning, if a business want's to hire a police officer or sheriffs deputy, and have them work in their uniform, they must pay them at the rate the city tells them to. I'm an RN in a local hospital and we have our own in house security, but they are not armed so we often have off duty PD, especially as we are required to take all comers, unlike a hospital that takes no city or state funding. On occasion, our hospital will hire 2 PD officers and have 2 officers from a local security firm to save on costs, and while I feel comfortable with 80% of the security officers that come in to work, the 20% I don't, are a poor excuse for private security and they are what gives private security a bad face. I don't feel just because a person works security he or she is beneath anyone, as I was raised, I was told, if a man or woman works at a job proudly and gives 110%, then your providing a needed service to the community and your just as important as anyone. I'm a male with a Masters in Nursing working in a field predominately held by women and I can say one thing for certain, without nurses, the doctors would be totally lost, however, no one here need tell my wife the MD I said that. And I say that because I've seen many a doctor attempt to give an EKG, or injection, try to draw blood, or many little things and they have loads of trouble doing it.

Society depends on everyone doing their best to move along, from the person in the field picking food to the president.

And yes, there is a GREAT difference in pay between private security and off duty PD moonlighting. If I remember right, around here employers are required to pay off duty PD 18 bucks an hour where's private security are lucky if they make 8 dollars an hour. Another thing I don't think I care much for is the un-armed security officer. Mainly because un-armed in VA have no arrest authority as armed officers do.

Warp
04-21-2009, 12:59
In Virginia, police officers who "moonlight" as security are required to be paid a certain amount by the city meaning, if a business want's to hire a police officer or sheriffs deputy, and have them work in their uniform, they must pay them at the rate the city tells them to. I'm an RN in a local hospital and we have our own in house security, but they are not armed so we often have off duty PD, especially as we are required to take all comers, unlike a hospital that takes no city or state funding. On occasion, our hospital will hire 2 PD officers and have 2 officers from a local security firm to save on costs, and while I feel comfortable with 80% of the security officers that come in to work, the 20% I don't, are a poor excuse for private security and they are what gives private security a bad face. I don't feel just because a person works security he or she is beneath anyone, as I was raised, I was told, if a man or woman works at a job proudly and gives 110%, then your providing a needed service to the community and your just as important as anyone. I'm a male with a Masters in Nursing working in a field predominately held by women and I can say one thing for certain, without nurses, the doctors would be totally lost, however, no one here need tell my wife the MD I said that. And I say that because I've seen many a doctor attempt to give an EKG, or injection, try to draw blood, or many little things and they have loads of trouble doing it.

Society depends on everyone doing their best to move along, from the person in the field picking food to the president.

And yes, there is a GREAT difference in pay between private security and off duty PD moonlighting. If I remember right, around here employers are required to pay off duty PD 18 bucks an hour where's private security are lucky if they make 8 dollars an hour. Another thing I don't think I care much for is the un-armed security officer. Mainly because un-armed in VA have no arrest authority as armed officers do.

Around here part time jobs for police officers run $35-$50 an hour

solomansousana
04-21-2009, 13:47
I'm gonna have to ask one next time I go in. Right now I'm on my 3 day off cycle before I begin the 4 day on 3 off then 3 on and 4 off. That 18 an hour I quoted was from a while back, I haven't talked much with any officers lately mostly because we haven't had any free time, if people around here aren't shooting up each other, their driving drunk or falling off of roofs or ladders. By the time I get off duty, my dogs are barking so loud, they wake up the entire area when I head to my hoopty.

RussP
04-27-2009, 17:43
Lets keep this to first person stories without additional discussion.

If you want to discuss a post, start a thread in the regular forum.

Thanks

RussP

mr smithglock
04-30-2009, 21:58
i hope maybe ill be the first person in WI to report my OC today there has been alot in the news about OC and how it is legal in WI b.c you cant CC anyway i wore my g23 in a uncle mikes duty paddle holster walkd the dog to the gas station, went to subway and ACE Hardware . i got many looks i stuck out like a sore thumb i felt weird this was my first time doing OC i will do it again i hope i get more comfortable doing so.

SBD
04-30-2009, 22:26
i hope maybe ill be the first person in WI to report my OC today there has been alot in the news about OC and how it is legal in WI b.c you cant CC anyway i wore my g23 in a uncle mikes duty paddle holster walkd the dog to the gas station, went to subway and ACE Hardware . i got many looks i stuck out like a sore thumb i felt weird this was my first time doing OC i will do it again i hope i get more comfortable doing so.

Well, cuz, you're obeying the law. Let them stare. :wavey:

I predict you'll become more and more comfortable the more you do it.

Warp
04-30-2009, 22:27

:thumbsup:

You guys will get concealed carry one of these days, even if it means going the route of Ohio.

You'll get used to it if you do it much. If others do as well others will get used to it as well.

JohnHoliday
04-30-2009, 22:35

Congrats on the first time. You will get more used to it as time goes on, and I suggest continuing to do it since CC is illegal. Good luck!

TheEggman
05-01-2009, 06:25

Like most other activities, the more you do it the more comfortable you will feel, and with comfort comes confidence. If you appear confident, and as if you are doing nothing wrong [which you aren't] few people will even notice that you are doing anything 'out of the ordinary.'

Having followed the OC movement for quite a few years now, I have observed that the usual progression goes from 'causing panic' to MWAG calls to a complete non-event, similar to what is reflected on this thread.

Best, and stay safe!

StarfoxHowl
05-01-2009, 07:53
Good morning all:

Yesterday I was out and about with my wife running errands and spending some of my end of contract bonus money. I was open carrying my G21SF in a Itech holster.

I had no problems anywhere we went, except for Costco. There was no sign posted on the outside of the building prohibiting carry, but when I went into the store to get an electric cart for the wife, the checker at the door asked if I was a LEO. When I replied no, but I had a GFCL, I was told that I could not carry in the store.

They were happy to get the store assistant manager out to the door to discuss the issue. There is no corporate written policy on the matter and it was pretty much left up to the store manager. The AM reported that the store had contacted corporate legal department and the response was "it's private property, so you can prohibit carry on the premises." I suggested that they put up signage to that effect but since signage is tightly controlled by corporate, it may be a while before anything happens.

Other than that one store, nothing out of the ordinary.

BobInTX
05-01-2009, 08:09
Good morning all:

Yesterday I was out and about with my wife running errands and spending some of my end of contract bonus money. I was open carrying my G21SF in a Itech holster.

I had no problems anywhere we went, except for Costco. There was no sign posted on the outside of the building prohibiting carry, but when I went into the store to get an electric cart for the wife, the checker at the door asked if I was a LEO. When I replied no, but I had a GFCL, I was told that I could not carry in the store.

They were happy to get the store assistant manager out to the door to discuss the issue. There is no corporate written policy on the matter and it was pretty much left up to the store manager. The AM reported that the store had contacted corporate legal department and the response was "it's private property, so you can prohibit carry on the premises." I suggested that they put up signage to that effect but since signage is tightly controlled by corporate, it may be a while before anything happens.

I took my CHL class last weekend. The instructor said he was going to start passing out cards to places like this:

A gun with a circle/line over it = A dollar sign with a circle/line over it.

NO GUN = NO MONEY

He won't do business with them. It's their right to prohibit guns, and it's his right not to do business with them.

SBD
05-01-2009, 08:18
It's their right to prohibit guns, and it's his right not to do business with them.

Precisely. There's some discussion related to this in Carry Issues.

StarfoxHowl
05-01-2009, 08:37
I took my CHL class last weekend. The instructor said he was going to start passing out cards to places like this:

A gun with a circle/line over it = A dollar sign with a circle/line over it.

NO GUN = NO MONEY

He won't do business with them. It's their right to prohibit guns, and it's his right not to do business with them.

Well, there was an overriding reason for me to be at Costco. I was getting hearing aids for my wife. 3,000 per set at Costco, 8,000 for the same product at an outside dispenser. Insurance doesn't cover them, so where do you think I'm going?

I'll contact the corporate lawyers/corporate office myself and see what they say directly. If they don't have an opinion, I can go to the offices next to this Costco and get something from the regional people.

a_tack
05-01-2009, 08:40
In an area like mine, overlapped by about 8 different police departments, if you open carry in a nice holster, everyone just assumes you are off duty LEO. That and not many people fear the sight of a gun in eastern KY!

jimmeadows
05-01-2009, 11:29
In an area like mine, overlapped by about 8 different police departments, if you open carry in a nice holster, everyone just assumes you are off duty LEO. That and not many people fear the sight of a gun in eastern KY!
Nice! :patriot:

TheEggman
05-01-2009, 15:44

Perhaps you should help them out and make a sign for them.

http://www.the-eggman.com/writings/graphics/crime_zone.gif

Best,

A link to a high-res PDF (with suggested instructions) is at: http://www.the-eggman.com/writings/victim_zone.html

RussP
05-01-2009, 18:04
Other than "Only open carry when and where appropriate," I'd say, "When open carrying, be a responsible citizen and represent the carry community as you'd want us to represent you."

SheepleNoMore
05-01-2009, 21:25
Question for TheEggman; is there a reason the spelling of "merchants" hasn't been corrected since 2005? Merchanst just tripped me up while I figured out what was wrong.

ezliving
05-01-2009, 21:40
I OC'd at an Outback Steakhouse in MN just last night ... was wearing a suit. They burned my wife's steak so they gave her the meal for free, plus they gave us a coupon for a free Bloomin' Onion.

Not sure if anybody noticed my IWB - I was carrying a full size 1911.
I'm confused.

I did not think that an IWB holster qualified for OC... especially when covered by a suit jacket.

SBD
05-01-2009, 21:44
I did not think that an IWB holster qualified for OC.

If unsure, check your local laws. :wavey:

Oramac
05-01-2009, 21:52
I'm confused.

I did not think that an IWB holster qualified for OC... especially when covered by a suit jacket.

in Mo it's OC if the firearm can be seen from two or more directions. doesnt matter how MUCH can be seen, as long as it can. so IWB works for OC if you leave your shirt tucked inside the holster.

the suit coat is another matter though. not sure where that comes into play.

WCrawford
05-01-2009, 22:18
My mother had an angiogram (sp?) today. I openly carried my G30 to the hospital and checked for a sign on the door I entered. Not seeing one I went in and sat in the wiating room. One of the other patients gave me a strange look when she saw my sidearm.

I sat in the waiting room for 3 hours before my mother was called back to prep for the procedure. The nurses, assistants, ect all saw my side arm when I went back to sit with my mother, no one ever said anything.

The more I open carry, the more I love Tennessee. Even the liberal city of Nashville.

TheEggman
05-02-2009, 09:05
Question for TheEggman; is there a reason the spelling of "merchants" hasn't been corrected since 2005? Merchanst just tripped me up while I figured out what was wrong.

Yes, because I failed to follow my own advice about proofreading, and because you are the first 'eagle eye' to point out the error - Thanks, it's fixed!

ON TOPIC:

A few days ago at the Bloom Grocery Store in Fredericksburg, VA I was OC'ing a Chief's Special .357 in OWB Bianci. I've NEVER received a comment while carrying my Glock (probably because it looks more 'official.')

I got some of the usual 'stupid' questions from a gentleman about 50 or so while waiting in line it went similar to ...

"WOW, is that thing real?"

Yes sir, I can't see why anyone would carry a toy gun.

"Is it loaded?"

Yes sir, I can't see any reason to carry it if it isn't?

"Are you a cop?"

No sir, I'm just an ordinary guy, but I don't intend to be a victim.

"Is that legal?

Yes sir, in VA if you can legally own a gun you can legally carry it as long as it's not concealed?

"You mean you don't need a permit or anything?"

No sir, not unless you want to conceal it, and if you can legally own it you can get a permit from the State for fifty bucks and proof of training.

"Do you mean that I could carry a gun if I wanted to?"

As long as you're not a convicted felon or under a restraining order, you certainly can.

I told him about a few of the off-limits places and the 'restaurant ban' and wrote down the URLs of a couple of websites for him on the back of a business card.

We did our goodbyes but he called me yesterday asking for the names of a few good gun stores. He'd done his Internet research, was ex-military, and downloaded the CHP application from the State Police website.

He just moved here from Oak Park IL and is going to be sending me some business from his company.

Chalk up one more for the good guys.

SBD
05-02-2009, 10:34
Good story, TheEggman. I don't know much about Fredricksburg (only ever spent a day there one time). Is it generally a lib town?

TheEggman
05-02-2009, 12:08
Good story, TheEggman. I don't know much about Fredricksburg (only ever spent a day there one time). Is it generally a lib town?

The area media (Freelance Star) is about as far left as you can get without falling off the planet. They are still one of the papers that prints a list of Concealed Carry Permit Applicants, complete with home addresses on a regular basis -- excruciatingly anti-gunowner.

The people in the general area, however, [in my experience] either lean a bit to the right or tend to exhibit other forms of common sense. Outside the city proper is largely rural/semi-rural, though a lot of 'McMansion' communities have been popping up. Also quite a few military and former military in the area. (proximity to Dahlgren, Belvoir and Quantico)

SBD
05-02-2009, 12:57
Thanks for the info. :wavey:

IAmMcLovin
05-06-2009, 17:15
First time I've seen this thread and I'm intrigued. Educate me folks, how many and which states allow OC? Are out of staters also allowed when visiting or traveling through the state? What about while in your vehicle driving.

Appreciate the education :wavey:

www.opencarry.org

Go there and click on "maps". All the OC info you could ever want or need.

IAmMcLovin
05-06-2009, 17:19
I didn't read the whole thread, but I'll chime in.

I OC almost daily. I've never once been hassled. I have answered genuine questions and educated folks regarding the legality of OC and firearms in general. I carry either a G21SF or a Springfield TRP. The TRP rides in a Blackhawk SERPA and the G21SF rides in a Comp-Tac paddle holster.

Pplcknglck
05-06-2009, 22:00
www.opencarry.org (http://www.opencarry.org)

Go there and click on "maps". All the OC info you could ever want or need.

No OC in Texas? Thats surprising.

Warp
05-06-2009, 22:19
No OC in Texas? Thats surprising.

Virtually ever No OC state is in the South.

Go figure.

twoblackbelts
05-07-2009, 05:13
When I first moved to the mountain (after unpacking...and unpacking) my wife and I decided to go for a walk. We have a SchIII silent-trained German Shepherd dog that worked for SWAT in Louisiana before we bought her right after Katrina. I was strapping on my G20 and duty belt with a level 2 retention Bianchi when she sighed and rolled her eyes, "We are taking the dog. Can't you leave that thing here?" "Yes, honey, when pigs fly", so off we went. 500 yards down the hill a lab/shepherd/pitbull mutt comes flying out of the woods after my pricey dog and little wife. Before any toothwork could go down I'd fired 4 rounds into the clay road in front of the dog. It did NOT back off, just stood there and barked. I told my wife to get herself and the dog home, and gept my 10 pointed at Cujo. It tried to do an end-run around me, and I put 5 more in the dirt and it ran home.

I had already researched open carry here, so I called the County Sherrif's office and asked them if I could just shoot the dog. He said, "Yeah, but it's not the best idea. Call animal control". I never saw the dog again.

Every time I leave the house I OC. When I go in city limits I just untuck my shirt and cover it, as it is allowed in county, but OC is illegal in the city.

You cannot carry here in a resturaunt which serves alcohol. So I left my gun in the glovebox and had an empty paddle holster showing. I was eating some catfish strips when I heard, "PUT YOUR FINGERTIPS ON TOP OF YOUR HEAD NOW!!!" I turned around and there were 9 (yes NINE) city cops all over my back. Sitting with my back to the door. Col. Cooper would have slapped me. They bum-rushed me to the front and surrounded me and all started asking me questions at once. Since the oldest one looked about 25 I started laughing. I could not help it. So I'm standing there like a ballerina, VERY nicely dressed, short hair, diamond ring, ridiculously expensive watch (a gift, I'm not into jewelry) and the youngest cockiest one says, "Did you know it's against the law to imitate a police officer?" Well, I started laughing again, and asked, "How long you been a LEO, son?" "NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS!" he snapped. Oh, that long, I thought. Yeah, I looked EXACTLY like them. One of the ones with a brain asked if I had ID, and I told them they could take my wallet. It had my credentials, and they called them in. Fine I thought. I put my hands at my side and 2 of them yelled for me to resume The Ballerina Pose. TopCop hands me my wallet and says, "You've been drinking. You are slurring your words". I said, "I'm from the South, genius, weALL slur our words."

"Where's your gun?"
"Where I keep it"
"Where's your car?"
"Where I parked it."

He looked at me like I was Al Capone.

"Can I call my attorney? Or can I go and eat?"

He excused the 8 other taxpayer's employees back out into the snow, and I wondered how many crimes and calls for help were ignored while I impersonated a Mime.

I knew they were going to pull me over as soon as I left and make me do a sobriety test in the blizzard, so I called a deacon at my church who carries a .44 everywhere. He came and got me, and we went and got my Jeep the next day. I filed a complaint, and it went unresponded. :dunno: So I filed with the FBI.:tongueout: TBC.....

RussP
05-07-2009, 13:37
Folks, read the rules for this thread...

Just post about your open carry experiences, any problems you had, and positive encounters with others. If you want, describe your carry rig, how you dressed, time of day, frequency of carry in that location...any details that will help others decide whether open carry is for them.

If you disagree with open carry, that's fine, but this thread is NOT for arguing pro/con open carry. Any posts in that vein will be deleted.

If you want to debate Open Carry, express your negative views, please, we encourage you to start a new thread.

RussP

I'm going to add another. "If you want to discuss a post, to ask questions, quote the post and start a new thread in the main Carry Issues Forum."

This thread is for tell about your experiences, not starting long discussions.

twoblackbelts
05-10-2009, 17:26
'When I lived in Utah I OC'd every single day. Mostly a Browning CallengerII .22 in a custom holster. People would freak and run to the cashier. They'd invariably say, "It's what we do here. Ya don't like it you don't have to stay".

The local sherrif got a call at least once a week about a guy on an ATV wearing a pistol. "That's Dani. He's our gunsmith, and it's legal".

Even the local judge got a kick out of the Ski Yankees coming through and having a hissyfit.

I had a greyhound and we hunted rabbit daily for his excercise. It's against the law to leave a loaded pistol in an unlocked car, so I just took the ATV everywhere and carried openly in the warmer months.

Oramac
05-10-2009, 19:52
It's against the law to leave a loaded pistol in an unlocked car

lock the car?

MaximaDrvr
05-11-2009, 08:23
We had our monthly OC dinner here in Raleigh, NC on Saturday.
We went to Cici's as it has decent food, all you can eat, and is relatively cheap.
This is our second visit to this location as a group, and many of us frequent there anyway. The staff seems to enjoy us around, or at least, not care at all.
There were a few under the breath comments from other patrons, but no one said anything to us directly.
Overall, it was a great dinner.

boyscout399
05-11-2009, 18:07
Busy day open carrying around Maine. I was stopped by two police departments and released, and I locked my keys in my car and needed to get AAA to open me up...

I decided to go for a walk in Portland. I walked about 1/2 mile before I noticed a police car following me very slowly. He wasn't stopping me so I kept walking. I walked about 2 more blocks with him slowly following me before he decided to stop me.

He pulled into a parking space behind me. I turned to face him and put up my hands. He had me turn around and put my hands on my head. He then disarmed me and asked me why I had a gun.

I told him self defense, the same as him and that I had a concealed firearms permit in my back pocket (even though I was open carrying and didn't need it) Two other police officers arrived and surrounded me while the original officer questioned me.

I asked the officer what crime he suspected me to detain me. He said I was carrying a gun. I politely told him that wasn't a crime and asked if I was free to go. He said he would detain me and any cop in the city would detain me for carrying a gun like that down the street. I told him that it's not against the law to carry like that. He said hundreds of people are going to call about the man with the gun. I said probably, but it's still not against the law and that this really wasn't the forum to debate it in.

He said I could leave but not to load up in front of him. I gathered up my stuff. Holstered unloaded and left. Reloaded it down the street in a little alcove where I wouldn't be seen taking out and loading a pistol on the street...

I finished my walk and went to Walmart in Biddeford. Took off my jacket in the car and got out of the car. Slam went the door, and I realized that my keys were still in the jacket. I covered my firearm with my shirt realizing I'd be there for a while, and called AAA.

About two minutes after I called a Biddeford PD Cruiser pulled into my row and came up on me really slowly. He passed me and then got out of his car. I put my hands on my vehicle and told him I was currently carrying a concealed firearm and that my permit was in my back pocket. He unloaded my weapon and put it on the roof of my car. He took out my permit and verified it. Another female PO showed up. The male PO started commenting on how nice my gun was (Heckler and Kock HK45).

The female asked the male if I was concealed. I said yes, but that I usually carry openly. She did not like this at all. She seemed to be pretty angry at me, but the male officer just said I was fine, gave me back my stuff and told me not to reload it out in the open. I agreed, concealed it, and they left.

There was a woman loading up her car next to mine while the police were questioning me. After they left, she asked me if it was okay that the police could do that to me. This led to a 10 minute discussion with her about carrying. She said she works in Portland and has to go out to a parking garage late at night and often thinks about getting assaulted.

I told her she should get a small, easily concealable firearm because her life is worth defending. I told her about various methods of carry and told her to make sure if she purse carries, to never let that purse out of her grasp and that it's better to carry on your person than off your person. I ended up giving her my card as a contact if she had any more questions about the matter.

I finished my Walmart run (still out of stock on ALL pistol ammo) and went home. One comical thing. Both police officers could not figure out how to release the magazine on my H&K. The Portland PD officer actually took it off safe before unloading it trying to figure out which lever to push. I was like "umm. that's the safety. it's off safe now... hello. it's off safe now..." as he's fiddling with it. I thought he was going to ND right there in the street. I would have been ripped if he did.

MedicOni
05-11-2009, 18:13
Got some very odd looks when I was walking around Santa Fe on a pit stop to head to CO Springs... Kinda fun. Other than that, nothing. People here in CO seem used to it

CapnKlay
05-14-2009, 13:59
Clay in Omaha, Nebraska here

Until recently I thought my concealed permit for NE was my open carry permit. I open carry in my neighborhood all the time. My neighbors are all extremely cool about it (except the crack-house across the street and they have gotten really quiet and respectful lately) [you think I'm joking...]

I did a WHOLE lot of reading online about open carry in Nebraska. I don't want to break any laws and loose my permit and my business license.

In Nebraska you get your permission to buy a pistol from the county, you register your pistol with the city, you get your permit to conceal carry with the State Patrol,... and you get your Open Carry Permit from the Greater Omaha Chapter of the National Safety Council.

wow they all get their cut!

Does anyone open carry in Omaha?

How long did it take to get your Open Carry Permit?

jdavionic
05-15-2009, 15:35
I have a separate thread on fundamentals of OC and posted the news (no news) report there. But long story, short...I finally gave it a try today.

Started the morning walking the dog at 5:30am. No one driving around so nothing to report.

Then I went to QuikTrip to get gas (~6:30am). One person was pretty nervous...to be honest, it was me. There were a lot of vehicles here & there. To my surprise, I didn't see anyone staring and no one called the police on me (that I know of).

Sorry, nothing exciting to report.

boyscout399
05-15-2009, 23:46
Had another encounter with the Portland PD today. They told me they were going to contact the state police to have my concealed permit revoked. I told them that would not change my right to open carry in Maine. They said they'd arrest me for concealed carry if it was the slightest bit concealed.

After my encounter I called the State Police licensing division to ask them if legally open carrying, and police contact due to my open carrying, would affect my eligibility for keeping my concealed permit. The woman that I talked to seemed to think there was no way they could revoke my permit no matter how much Portland PD didn't like me having it.

She also seemed shocked that I was stopped for open carrying in the first place and specifically told me that Maine was an open carry state with or without a permit.

eXistenZ
05-17-2009, 19:32
I usually carry concealed but had my first REAL day of OC'ing yesterday. I had OC'ed a few times when walking the dog through the park and such but yesterday I was actually running around all over town with my girlfriend. Nothing to exciting, as usual most people never even noticed. However when I was in Target I was approached by a manager, nice guy, who asked me if I was comfortable taking it out to my car. He said he carries as well but because of tourist perception he asked me if I was okay with taking it to my car, which of course I was (I had my BUG concealed on my leg anyway).

My girlfriends family didn't know I carried and I never really know to bring it up in conversation which I no longer have to worry about. While we were running around we stopped by her parents and grandparents house so they all saw I was carrying. Only her grandmother said anything which was the normal "Why do you carry a gun?" question followed by the "Do you have a permit?" which I then explained you don't need one for in Alaska, I have one anyway though, and shared with her my firearms training. She just said "oh okay" and that was the end of it. I'm interested in hearing what my girlfriends parents say to her about me carrying a gun, one's a republican and one's a closet democrat so it should be funny at least.

CapnKlay
05-22-2009, 09:06
I got my "City of Omaha Handgun Identification Card" in the mail last night.
$15.00 + 8 business days = Open Carry permit.

http://www.safenebraska.org/safe-working/concealed-carry-handgun-training.php
half way down the page under "Open Carry Permit Class"
If you already have your NE CHP (Concealed Handgun Permit) you show the nice lady at the counter your certificate from the handgun safety class you took, fill out the application, she takes your picture and you get your Open Carry permit 8 days later.

It Was Easy

BB62
05-25-2009, 10:19
I got my "City of Omaha Handgun Identification Card" in the mail last night.
$15.00 + 8 business days = Open Carry permit.

http://www.safenebraska.org/safe-working/concealed-carry-handgun-training.php
half way down the page under "Open Carry Permit Class"
If you already have your NE CHP (Concealed Handgun Permit) you show the nice lady at the counter your certificate from the handgun safety class you took, fill out the application, she takes your picture and you get your Open Carry permit 8 days later.

It Was Easy
Nebraska/Omaha open carry permit???

It sure seems like Omaha is enforcing illegal statutes:

http://opencarry.org/ne.html

jeremy05
05-28-2009, 10:43
I open carry here in AZ, a small town called Sierra Vista. Its about an hour south of Tucson. I have'nt had anyone say anything other than a old lady at the botanical gardens in Tucson. Was just a "Is that a gun?" I just said "yes" and that was that haha.

pullnshoot25
05-29-2009, 15:29
Yesterday we took the daughter and her three kids to lunch for her birthday. We went to a buffet restaurant which happens to be a half block from Virginia State Police Headquarters.

I'm wearing a light jacket over my G21. The restaurant is cool, so I decide to leave it on since this restaurant doesn't serve alcohol.

We're eating and a woman nearby complains it is too cold for her. The waitress goes over, changes the thermostat, and within a couple of minutes it starts getting warm.

About this time in walks two State Troopers, both SGTs, with their wives. They head out to get their food.

I am getting warm in my coat, so I take it off.

The Troopers return. They are sitting on my strong side one table behind me. My Glock is in clear sight.

A little while later they get up for seconds, and as they return, both look at me, smile, nod and say, "Hi, how are you?"

My wife doesn't see that, and about 5 minutes later says, "They haven't even noticed."

"Noticed what?", I asked.

"You know..."

I told her, "Oh, I think they have, we ack..." She interrupted me and told me they were paying absolutely no attention to me. Now, that I agreed with.

We finished before they did. As I got up I turned to them and said, "Y'all stay safe." They told me to do the same.

Yep, there they had a MWAG right there in front of them, and they let me get away.

:yawn:

Maybe I need to go back to Wal-Mart and let my Glock set off the security scanners. :rofl:

Probably wouldn't phase anyone. I got into a bank with a metal detector once while OCing out here in California. Story here (http://caopencarry.blogspot.com/2009/03/metal-detector-ralphs-and-sdccu.html)

Also, I would just like to say that this thread is really encouraging. I have yet to see any responses about how they were targeted by a criminal for openly carrying a firearm, about how the police will just drop you if you are openly carrying a firearm, etc. To read some of the stuff over on my home forum (calguns.net) or to hear people in person (like my local San Diego County Sheriff Candidate, Bruce Ruff (http://caopencarry.blogspot.com/2009/04/ruff-time.html)), one would begin to believe that an open carrier is just a BULLET MAGNET!

Thanks for all you guys out there in Free America for keeping the flame alive :)

CARRY ON!

-N8
Open Carry California!
(http://caopencarry.blogspot.com)

Prometheus77
05-30-2009, 12:37
All over NW Indiana... from Grocery Stores to restaurants to walmarts, Targets, cabelas, best buy, borders.... you name.

Always a positive experience.

8th ID
05-30-2009, 20:53
Nine guys met in Lexington, KY today. We OC'd at a Cracker Barrel for lunch. I showed up early and went in to get my name on the list. I went in and was greeted with a smile. Put my name on the list. Nothing. Went back outside and waited on the others. When all showed up, we all went in and waited for them to get a table ready. We stood inside and milled about. I only saw one lady staring at a firearm:wow: it was like she was a cat looking at a sparkling ball. After we were seated our waitress came-she was calm and very nice. She noticed several of the firearms-she even commented about them. The manager walked by our table a few times-CB was busy- he never even looked at us. Only two other women seemed to notice-I'm sure one of them asked her server about us (they both turned to look at us). Her server said something to her, but I'm not sure what he said. Several of us went to Sportsman's Warehouse after lunch. No incidents at all. All of the guys were polite and courteous and we tipped well. I think we represented the OC community well.

Beware Owner
05-30-2009, 21:28
Nine guys met in Lexington, KY today. We OC'd at a Cracker Barrel for lunch. I showed up early and went in to get my name on the list. I went in and was greeted with a smile. Put my name on the list. Nothing. Went back outside and waited on the others. When all showed up, we all went in and waited for them to get a table ready. We stood inside and milled about. I only saw one lady staring at a firearm:wow: it was like she was a cat looking at a sparkling ball. After we were seated our waitress came-she was calm and very nice. She noticed several of the firearms-she even commented about them. The manager walked by our table a few times-CB was busy- he never even looked at us. Only two other women seemed to notice-I'm sure one of them asked her server about us (they both turned to look at us). Her server said something to her, but I'm not sure what he said. Several of us went to Sportsman's Warehouse after lunch. No incidents at all. All of the guys were polite and courteous and we tipped well. I think we represented the OC community well.

Very good, let that not be the last!

mnglocker
05-30-2009, 22:28
Open carry, at least for me here in Wright County and Western Hennepin County have become so non-evenful that it's hardly worth mentioning my every day activities due to puting the board to sleep.

Bacstar
05-31-2009, 02:13
I've OC'd my 29SF everytime I go mtn biking or hiking on any of the trails here in Alaska. No one's actually said anything when they see it sitting in my chest holster, however, I immediately notice their eyes drawn to it as we pass each other on the trail.

Hexx
05-31-2009, 02:27
I was born and raised in Soldotna...open carry...or guns in general do not bug people there....you have to carry if you go into the woods.
i was more affraid of the wild life than the people

Oramac
05-31-2009, 08:30
Open carry, at least for me here in Wright County and Western Hennepin County have become so non-evenful that it's hardly worth mentioning my every day activities due to puting the board to sleep.

thats a good thing. i mean, wouldnt it really be awesome if we got to a point where this thread was no longer needed?

mnglocker
05-31-2009, 08:42
thats a good thing. i mean, wouldnt it really be awesome if we got to a point where this thread was no longer needed?

That's one of the main reasons I OC. :cool:

RussP
05-31-2009, 09:43
I was born and raised in Soldotna...open carry...or guns in general do not bug people there....you have to carry if you go into the woods.
i was more affraid of the wild life than the peopleClarification: Soldotna is not in Eastern Europe, it is in Alaska. I had to look it up.

:animlol:

chfltft
05-31-2009, 09:56
Here in VA, if you go into an estalishment that serves alcohol (most restaurants), you have to open carry. I've never had a problem with anyone in anyplace I've gone, so far. Most people don't even notice or if they do, don't make a big deal out of it, even LEO that may be there. Maybe this is catching on.

pullnshoot25
05-31-2009, 11:22
I've OC'd my 29SF everytime I go mtn biking or hiking on any of the trails here in Alaska. No one's actually said anything when they see it sitting in my chest holster, however, I immediately notice their eyes drawn to it as we pass each other on the trail.

A Simply Rugged Chesty Puller, I presume?

jimmeadows
06-02-2009, 21:57
Clarification: Soldotna is not in Eastern Europe, it is in Alaska. I had to look it up.

:animlol:

Ah, yes, Alaska.

I read Peter Jenkins' book, Looking For Alaska. Quite a wild country to say the least. He said the standing joke in Alaska was if you go into the brush, always have someone with you who can't run as fast as you can.

:rofl:

dougader
06-02-2009, 23:14
i was more affraid of the wild life than the people

I love Alaska. I've fished up there several times. We even went over by or through Soldotna... is that on the way to the Russian River. I can't remember now. Mostly we fished on the Deshka river, SW past Wasilla.

You're right, though. We carried guns about everywhere, except the big strip bar in Anchorage, lol. The Bush Company??? :rofl:

My friend carried a Desert Eagle 44 mag and I had my 454 SRH.

MedicOni
06-02-2009, 23:14
Moving up to Alaska sounds better and better. Think ya'll need any paramedics?

implexant
06-06-2009, 23:26
Was at the intersection of SR-503 (117th Ave) and 119th in Brush Prairie, Washington State and noticed a guy in a black Dodge truck purchasing strawberries from a guy in a vacant lot. He was open carrying a sidearm in what appeared to be a Galco Miami classic rig. Couldn't make out the gun make or model, but I definitely noticed it. He was a clean cut guy, late 20s, jeans & a t-shirt, with what appeared to be his wife/girl friend.

I thought I was the only one that occasionally jumped out of the car in my area open carrying with a shoulder holster. :cool: I occasionally pump gas and remove my sport coat. I mostly get stares, no one's called the sheriff yet. I don't make a habit of OCing, but definitely a supporter.

Anyway, just wondering if he was a GT member.

-Chris

Beeman
06-16-2009, 02:36
I open carried yesterday around Richmond, Indiana with no issues. I also open carried at the Wal-Mart in Englewood, Ohio early this morning with no issues. I was carrying a Glock 20 with two spare mags.

THEPOPE
06-19-2009, 22:17
Lordy, Lordy, good God, I FINALLY have an open-carry story for this thread.....

Amen, brothers.

I have been sort of watching( more intently ) for some open carry around me for quite a while, and haven't seen any, except for the obvious Law Enforcement or Conservation Officials, I haven't witnessed ANY, until now.

A young feller was openly carrying at a gas/convenient store type place, in my home town, and I tried very hard to observe it rather un-emotionally, and in a way that would be similar to the average citizen might feel, when confronted with a carrying person.

The only issue I could bring to the game was, what type and caliber could he be carrying ? Of course, I could tell by looking a bit closer, that it was indeed a G-17, in 9 m.

No one ran out the door, women didn't scream and shield their children from the evil black pistol, nor was he wrestled to the floor by any ninjas in badges, for the audacity of carrying a defensive firearm....in fact, he was pretty much ignored, and I witnessed the reactions of people around this fella, and noticed absolutely NO adverse jumpiness nor any one moving to disarm him....

Hmmmm, a non-event all around, makes no sense.

"........All aboard...ha-ha-haaaaa......."..........I am out :cool:

CapnKlay
06-20-2009, 08:29
Even before I got my Omaha Open Carry permit from the Greater Omaha Chapter of the National Safety Council I was carrying on my own property.

Every day when I got home from work I would get out of the car, pull my holster w/ pistol out of the IWB in the back of my pants and clip it on my right hip in plain sight.

I've been doing that for about half a year.

Last night we were doing some across-the-fence with our neighbors. (She's a landscaper and he's a public defender) He was sipping from a whiskey highball and having his Friday Cigar. We were talking about our "Thank Goodness I made it to the Weekend Rituals". I mentioned that a lot of times I came home and wanted a good healthy belt, however, I felt (and the State of Nebraska feels) that if you partake of any alcohol whatsoever you don't wear your pistol that day.

He got a confused look when I motioned to my hip. I swiveled so he could see my holster and pistol better.

"Ya know" He says, "I never noticed that you had a gun on your hip"
"Now I'll feel better about things when I'm sitting (on his porch) or hanging out (in his back yard) or walking the girls
(their two dogs) at night. Since I know you are just next door"

Points to this post:
#1) We've been neighbors for years and he never noticed I carried - people see what they want to see.
#2) Now that he knows, he feels safer. Not only when we are outside together, but just because he knows I carry a gun 24/7 and I live next door.

jimmeadows
06-20-2009, 12:22
Even before I got my Omaha Open Carry permit from the Greater Omaha Chapter of the National Safety Council I was carrying on my own property.

Every day when I got home from work I would get out of the car, pull my holster w/ pistol out of the IWB in the back of my pants and clip it on my right hip in plain sight.

I've been doing that for about half a year.

Last night we were doing some across-the-fence with our neighbors. (She's a landscaper and he's a public defender) He was sipping from a whiskey highball and having his Friday Cigar. We were talking about our "Thank Goodness I made it to the Weekend Rituals". I mentioned that a lot of times I came home and wanted a good healthy belt, however, I felt (and the State of Nebraska feels) that if you partake of any alcohol whatsoever you don't wear your pistol that day.

He got a confused look when I motioned to my hip. I swiveled so he could see my holster and pistol better.

"Ya know" He says, "I never noticed that you had a gun on your hip"
"Now I'll feel better about things when I'm sitting (on his porch) or hanging out (in his back yard) or walking the girls
(their two dogs) at night. Since I know you are just next door"

Points to this post:
#1) We've been neighbors for years and he never noticed I carried - people see what they want to see.
#2) Now that he knows, he feels safer. Not only when we are outside together, but just because he knows I carry a gun 24/7 and I live next door.
I've said it before------

Again, it is amazing how much people don't notice.

CapnKlay
06-21-2009, 01:06
I've said it before------

Again, it is amazing how much people don't notice.

I live with my God-Children and their parents. I am their 3rd legal parent. When I got my pistol about a year ago I immediately started wearing it around the house. Even without a CCW I could wear it inside and when I went outside I pulled my T-shirt or shirt tails out over it. (I had no idea I could O.C. on my own property)
After I'd been doing that for a few months I asked my God-Kids how they felt about me carrying around the house all the time.

My 12 & 15 year old God-Daughters had NO IDEA what I was talking about. I had to actually point to the holster and say "See? I am carrying a gun." They both explained in fluent 'teen-ager' how they didn't notice stuff like that or know half the stuff I did. Whatever I was doing it must be okay, since I'm their God-Father. Somewhere in there they both lost interest because the phone rang and it was a boy.

My 16 year old God-Son not only noticed but thought it was extraordinarily cool and very responsible. I asked him how it made him feel and he gave me about a 5 minute lecture on how much safer it made him feel and how proud he was that I was making sure my family was safe and he knew if anything dangerous ever happened I would take care of it in the smartest way possible and he couldn't wait until I got my CCW because he knew then his mom would be safe when I drove her to the grocery store after dark.

Points I am NOT making:
Girls are no less observant than boys, I just wasn't doing anything cool enough for them to notice. (the Jonas Brothers or "Twilight" weren't involved and it wasn't shaped like a cell phone)

Points I am making:
1) People see what they want to see. They don't observe much outside their normal life.
2) Kids (Young Men) like my God-Son give me hope for this generation.

Beeman
06-21-2009, 14:34
No one ran out the door, women didn't scream and shield their children from the evil black pistol, nor was he wrestled to the floor by any ninjas in badges, for the audacity of carrying a defensive firearm....in fact, he was pretty much ignored, and I witnessed the reactions of people around this fella, and noticed absolutely NO adverse jumpiness nor any one moving to disarm him....

Hmmmm, a non-event all around, makes no sense.

That's usually the way it goes for me, which is how I like it. People don't notice what is going on around them--kind of scary really. I was OCing yesterday at a gas station in Indiana when an ISP Trooper pulled in next to me and gave me a quick glance (kinda hard not to notice the G20 in a Galco Fletch holster). Nothing was said other than, "How ya doing". I've only had one negative encounter with a LEO while Open carrying.

happyguy
06-21-2009, 16:41
A friend/subordinate of mine was asked to leave Target on the North side of Indianapolis the other night because he was open carrying.

The manager said it was corporate policy. He made a call to complain and I will update this thread when he gets a reply.

Regards,

RussP
06-21-2009, 20:11
A friend/subordinate of mine was asked to leave Target on the North side of Indianapolis the other night because he was open carrying.

The manager said it was corporate policy. He made a call to complain and I will update this thread when he gets a reply.

Regards,
Happyguy :)Start a new thread, please. This thread is for telling the stories, not discussing them.

Thanks

MaximaDrvr
06-27-2009, 11:28
Had another uneventful day today.
Talked to three separate people about the gun on my hip when they asked about it.

mnglocker
06-27-2009, 11:33
A month or so ago, I was doing my usual 11pm run to the grocery store. One of the night managers came up to me and gave me a funny look then asked "How many guns do you own?" I laughed and told him that "If I kept track of how many guns I own I might be a gun nut or something." he mentioned that he hadn't been shooting in 10 or so years, so I offered up a solution to that. I suggested that he and any of the other staff that would be interested in getting a permit to carry give me a call and I would instruct a class just for his store. I handed him my business card then and paid for my goods. :cool:

Turbodog
06-30-2009, 20:24
Myself and a friend were riding our motorcycles on the interstate near Hammond, La. going to a meeting one afternoon, and we observed a pickup truck coming up behind us quickly.

The truck swerved around us to pass but was trapped beside us as we were just catching up to another pickup that was in the right lane. The first pickup rolled along beside me on the right for a moment then suddenly fell back and stayed a good 50 yards behind us all the rest of the way till we exited the interstate.

Really don't know if it was the fact my bike is an former California Highway Patrol bike or the G17 in the serpa holster or a combination of the two,

but the guy slowed down, drove right and never tried to pass us again. :rofl:

hiperf2007
07-02-2009, 22:24
Some on here just won't believe your story, if you were not arrested or at least thrown out of the store then it probably didn't happen. :wavey:

I think all you anti-open carry guys should visit the following website.

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/

Resqu2
07-03-2009, 09:40
I think all you anti-open carry guys should visit the following website.

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/

Think you took me wrong, I'm very much for OC and do it several times a week and I'm a member of the web site above, good place to hang out and lots of good info about OC.

I used to post alot in this thread but my post became boring to read because nothing ever happens when I OC and that is just what I want. :supergrin:

happyguy
07-03-2009, 15:07
Start a new thread, please. This thread is for telling the stories, not discussing them.

Thanks

Never mind.

Regards,

eXistenZ
07-05-2009, 02:29
Well I knew this day would eventually come, you open carry for long enough and you will be approached by law enforcement. I always make sure to have my tape recorder or digital camera (which takes a few hours of video) with me just in case a sheep decides to go off on me or I run across a LE officer who doesn't appreciate OC'ing, boy did my camera get some use today!

I've been open carrying more and more lately as it's hot and I don't want to wear a jacket or cover shirt, plus I figured today being the 4th was the perfect day to OC, I didn't know how truly interesting it would get.

It all started simple enough, showed up with my girlfriend at the park strip where the parade was going around. We walked around a little bit waiting for things to get kicked off and looking for a spot to stand while the parade passed. It just so happened the only decent spot left without standing behind a few rows of people was right in front of a cops car. I knew I wasn't doing anything wrong but still never having run across LE before while carrying, let alone open carrying, made me slightly apprehensive. I wasn't even sure he noticed me for awhile, we probably stood there for 20 minutes before I noticed him approaching my strong side out of the corner of my eye. That's when things got interesting.

"What model of Glock is that?" he asked, I turned, raised my right arm and said "It's the Glock model 22", and things went from there. He talked about how the department issues Glock 21's but he could never catch on to them so he carries a Colt, with 4 extra mags no less. We talked about the ammo shortages, even for the PD, training and tactics, insane firearm prices, and how we both wanted to own more guns. He asked where I was from, how long I've been here and whether I like it or not. Which of course led into a discussion of Alaska great gun laws, the second amendment, and so forth. Then he dropped the big one on me after asking where I work, "Have you ever considered a career in law enforcement?" I couldn't believe my ears, why yes, as a matter of fact I have been, a LOT. We talked for a little bit more about it, the requirements, time it all takes, and then he gave me his card so when I set up a ride along I can request him. We shook hands, exchanged names, and I must say it was a great experience. And of course my camera got tons of use taking pictures of the old cars, cool floats, and of course Miss Alaska!

I had always been a little apprehensive when OC'ing just because I never knew what reaction people would give, after that experience it cleared all that up. Of course some day I may run across a LE officer who isn't as well grounded as he was but I'm not counting on it, this is Alaska after all. To top it all off I have looked and looked for some type of local group to get involved in when I see coming down the street the Anchorage 2nd Amendment Task Force walking down holding a big banner, I couldn't help but laugh as they walked by as they were all OC'ing also. I turned to my girlfriend and said "there's part of the parade I could've been involved in", and have since then sent them an email inquiring more.

I would like to finish this with a slightly edited quote I posted in another thread:

To everyone who throws a fit about OC'ing, if you don't like OC then don't do it. But please don't chastise or insult someone for exercising their rights that help protect yours, that's just seriously bad taste. What happened to "I don't want to OC but I'll fight for your right to do it"? In my opinion there is no middle ground, you either support our right to bear arms both openly and concealed or you don't. Pick your side. :wavey:

Thank you all for reading, I hope you had a wonderful 4th of July! :patriot: Sorry for the anticlimactic finish after all that build up but I couldn't resist!

Gimp
07-05-2009, 10:11
I normally carry concealed; the other day, helping my mother in law move a washer/ dryer set on a rainy day, I was "induced" to take off my cover shirt to clean the wheels of the dolly. Spent the rest of the day OC.

Nothing happened.

...at all.

I love Arizona.

Warp
07-05-2009, 12:11
Open carried this weekend, just not to any "public gatherings" since they are still illegal in GA.

Nothing happened at all here, either. Same old, same old.

MedicOni
07-08-2009, 20:40
Ate next to a group of police yesterday while open carrying. They just nodded and one came up and asked what the hell kind of gun I was carrying (bikini type holster for the Witness, and a mag clip for the spare mag, which you could see the round on the top of the mag). Of course it might have helped I was there with a few friends all in uniform for work (2 different private service EMS agencies) and I was wearing an old ratty EMT shirt that was covered in paint.

MaximaDrvr
07-11-2009, 20:35
We had our monthly OC dinner here in Raleigh.
We had 15 adults and one child at the dinner. A nice older couple and their grandchildren were eating beside us, and asked me about the firearms we were all carrying. It turned into a 30 minute conversation in which they were actually supportive.
We had a few more questions from different people, but none were really negative.

We raffled off a gift card that the owner's of Gunners Alley, www.gunnersalley.com graciously donated to us to support the cause.

Ironbar
07-13-2009, 21:23
So, here in Oregon the majority of the state is OK for open carry. There are several cities where open carry is banned by their particular municipal code, however, the state law preempts city code in that open carry is legal for CCW permit holders.

Today I'm wearing a tucked dress shirt, and quite frankly I really don't feel like covering up with the Super-Tuck inside because it's a hassle with a dress shirt. So I carry openly. I make it to work, disarm (not allowed at work), and at the end of the day I holster up and run some errands.

I'm nervous as hell inside, but I try to play it off like it's nothing. Go to the gun store and buy some ammo, then to the grocery store to grab some stuff, then finally to Walgreens for some sundries. Walgreens was pretty crowded, and I know for sure that some folks there looked at me funny. The only comment I got was from the clerk as I was attempting to grab my wallet. The holster had shifted and I was having a helluva time with it. She laughed it off. I think she made the assumption that I was a LEO. We exchanged some friendly banter, and then I went home.

The world did not stop turning. However, I am pretty sure that if I ever had the opportunity to run across an actual LEO, I would get stopped and questioned. Mainly because I have NEVER seen anyone but a LEO open carry anywhere.

Omen
08-02-2009, 22:44
Ran out to Home Depot today to pick up a mower and some fertilizer, then swung by a Chinese restaurant to get some dinner to take home. No one commented on the 1911 in the Serpa on my belt.

Just like it should be.

jdavionic
08-12-2009, 20:37
I'm still working to get more comfortable OC'ing. I've continued to walk the dog in the morning while open carrying. This week has been interesting since more cars are on the street due to the start of school. I got a long stare from my neighbor, who's quite a dork. But he didn't say anything and didn't call the police. I bought a new OC holster today for a different gun. The same as my other holster (Blackhawk Serpa with the retention feature)...just bought a second one to go with my G34. My other rig is a springfield XDSC. Not sure there's merit to it, but I thought it would look more suspicious to see a conceal carry style gun being OC'd versus the G34. Dunno. But now I have the equipment to carry either.

SBD
08-12-2009, 21:28
I got a long stare from my neighbor...

This is the part I don't think I'll ever understand. What was he looking at?

...And then he doesn't even open his mouth to talk/scream/shout/etc.

F350
08-13-2009, 21:39
We moved to Columbia Missouri just as the economy was tanking and I was unable to fing a communications job so I took a job at a gun shop/indoor range, as we open carried at work I started open carrying to and from as well. I had several interesting/fun encounters...

*Went to Walgreens to pick up a prescription the day after there had been an attempt to get drugs with a knife, as the pharmacist was ringing up my prescriptions he looked at the gun on my side and said “Man I sure wish you had been in here yesterday.”

•Wife and I were sitting at our favorite weekend breakfast joint (family type restaurant in a truck stop on I-70) when 6 state troopers came in and sat at a big round table (8 chairs and I pointed out to the wife the 2 empty chairs had their backs to the door) just behind me and on my strong side as I always face the door too. As we were leaving one of the troopers leaned towards me and asked “Just what kind of gun is that you’re carrying?” I explained it was a Para-Ordnance P-14; basically a 1911 with a double stack mag. He said “I thought it looked like a 1911 but the magazine was all wrong, 14 shot 1911 45, sweet.”

•I was checking out at Lowes when the manager opened another checkout lane so I stepped over as the other lines were long, as he was ringing me up he says “I like it when you guys come in, it keeps the bad guys guessing.”

•Stopped by a grocery that caters to the lower economic rung of the ladder after closing the store and saw a city cop in the office flirting with the night bookkeeper , I know they use off duty cops for security. About 5 minutes later I see him headed my way and I know I am about to get the LEO “bump”, so I nod, smile and say “Good evening”.

He says “Did you know the hammer on your gun is cocked?”
I say “Yes sir, it is designed to be carried that way, it has a manual safety, a grip safety, and this design utilizes an internal safety, so it is the safest way to carry it”.
He replies ”Well our guns are double action on the first shot so that is our safety so we don’t have to use extra safeties”.

I say “Yes I know the department issues H&K USP 9milimeters, but it takes a lot of practice to get that first shot to group anywhere close to follow up shots. I prefer the smooth consistent single action trigger of the 1911 design.”
He says “OK, have a good evening” and goes back to flirt with the bookkeeper.

•The only place I had a problem was at Waffle House (one place you really want to be armed), after eating there at least 3 times a week while CCing in went in OCing. The manager, who had to recognize as a regular, came over and asked “Would you mind pitting your gun back in your truck, it is against corporate policy to allow people to carry guns here.

I said “I didn’t see any signs all the times I have been in here.”

He says it is on a yellow sign at the end of the building, along with the no loitering etc.

I said “No problem I will just put myself back in the truck as well and take my business somewhere that wants it” and left.

Ironbar
08-13-2009, 22:15
I said “No problem I will just put myself back in the truck as well and take my business somewhere that wants it” and left.

LOL! That was my favorite part of the story! :supergrin:

Thorazine
08-16-2009, 12:30
We moved to Columbia Missouri just as the economy was tanking and I was unable to fing a communications job so I took a job at a gun shop/indoor range, as we open carried at work I started open carrying to and from as well. I had several interesting/fun encounters...

A lot of positive encounters there!

Very nice to read.

Thanks!

Bikenut
09-20-2009, 14:10
Ok... I'll add to the length of this thread.

I open carry almost daily where ever I go where it is legal to do so in a well populated section of Lower Michigan. Most folks don't even notice. Of those that notice a few stare or go elsewhere but many approach and ask questions. Nearly all experiences, including the polite and friendly one with the local Chief of Police, have been positive. Only 2, out of hundreds over the past months, have been negative.

A lady made a "man with a gun" call on her cell phone while I was in a local Wal Mart. No police showed up, no one approached me, and I finished shopping without incident. I am assuming the police informed the lady making the call that open carry is legal requiring no action from them.

The manager of a local Taco Bell asked me to leave. I immediately left but am in the process of discussing this incident with Taco Bell upper management. I plan to pursue this as far as necessary all the way up the corporate ladder.

Aside from those incidents no one much cares about seeing someone with a sidearm.

mnglocker
09-20-2009, 14:14
I had breakfast of the Effen Gopher Bar yesterday.

'Nuff said. :supergrin:

Jai9100
09-20-2009, 16:37
I had breakfast of the Effen Gopher Bar yesterday.

'Nuff said. :supergrin:

WHAT:shocked: I missed it, dang. I was working the mandatory overtime at work. And haven't been checking the TTC board due to working 60 hours a week. :crying:

RussP
09-25-2009, 10:14

Also, if you want to discuss a post, to ask questions, quote the post and start a new thread in the main Carry Issues Forum.

RussP
ModeratorPost deleted.BleedNOrange, what part of the above from Post #1 was unclear?

RussP

Mainsail
09-26-2009, 14:09
Pike Place Market, downtown Seattle, the most libtard city in the entire Pacific Northwest. Wore my G20 all over town and never had a problem, no panics, no cops, no nervous looks.

http://img.geocaching.com/user/56e17073-8db4-4c0e-8ede-442ccd938f62.jpg

Warp
09-26-2009, 19:10
Sweet. :cool:

Jai9100
09-26-2009, 19:21
awesome pic!!

Did you pick up crabs or salmon?

Mainsail
09-26-2009, 19:26
awesome pic!!

Did you pick up crabs or salmon?

Halibut and Sea Scallops, actually

Jai9100
09-26-2009, 19:28
Halibut and Sea Scallops, actually

Never had Scallops before but I bet it was delicious.

WCrawford
09-29-2009, 16:25
I went to a funeral yesterday for a relative that I didn't know very well (my mother's 1st cousin). I had to travel from Nashville, TN into rural Kentucky. I open carried the whole day.

I had one older lady (unsure if she was a relative or just a friend of the family) come up to me smiling and speaking in a slightly joking matter.

"Ooooo, I'm afraid of your gun," she says.

I stated, not really hearing the tone, just her words, "It is not going to magically jump up and start shooting everyone."

She chuckled a bit and said that she was a KY carry permit holder and decided to leaver her carry piece in her car. I relaxed at that and told her told her my reasons for carrying (openly) at the funeral. After I explained, she thanked me.

I also had the opportunity to inform her that KY was an open carry state.

A different woman approached my mother, asking if I was a police officer. My mother informed her that I was just a licensed armed guard in Tennessee. My mother relayed to me that the woman stated that she was glad that there was someone around who could deal with a bad situation if needed.

RyanG23
09-29-2009, 16:28
nice, atleast you didn't have any problems. I'm guessing you don't open carry a lot? and if you do carry your firearm, is it usually conceled?

WCrawford
10-01-2009, 06:28
nice, atleast you didn't have any problems. I'm guessing you don't open carry a lot? and if you do carry your firearm, is it usually conceled?

I carry everyday, in Nashville, openly. I only conceal if it is accidental.

This was my first time openly carrying in this part of KY, but I have OCd in Louisville without problems when I lived there.

MedicOni
10-01-2009, 11:46
Carried almost all day yesterday (had class for an hour and a half, so I couldn't carry there unfortunately) and had absolutely no problems except a weird look from a mgr at a Starbucks when I went to get breakfast and coffee on my way to the range

mnglocker
10-01-2009, 12:04
I'd be out OC'ing today, but currently it's 48*, pooring rain and windy out. Eff that. I'm wearing waders and a rain coat.

KappaAlphaASU
10-04-2009, 17:38
Im from Arkansas which isnt an open carry state, but i deer hunt in Tennessee, which is an open carry state. Tennessee just passed a law about 3 weeks ago that allows permit holders to carry their handguns with them while bow hunting. Friday morning I stopped at the gas station that I always stop at and got my usual Mountain Dew and a sausage and biscuit. I walked in carrying my 1911 openly cocked and locked. I walked right by a police officer and he didnt even bat an eye, got my stuff and left. For lunch that day I walked in a resturant and passed right by 4 police officers and none of them even said a word. Saturday morning, I did the same thing. I walked right by the police officers in the the gas station and they never said a word to me. This morning I went in to the same gas station openly carrying the same 1911 and walked passed 2 police officers. I asked them how they were doing and they said just fine and asked how I was. I was paying for my breakfast and one of the police officers walked right up next to me to get a newspaper and asked me if I was going to kill something today (I was dressed in full camo). I replied that I hoped to and told him about the deer that I had been seeing and he kinda looked down at my gun and told me to have a nice day and walked off. It kinda suprised me that none of the police officers that I saw even asked to see my permit....

dougader
10-04-2009, 20:41
It was the same way when I was deer hunting in SE Oregon. After we got our deer, we drove up to Burns to get some fuel for the trucks and a big sit-down breakfast. The only people that gave a second glance were a couple guys interested to know what caliber my Glock was.

solomansousana
10-05-2009, 08:50
Im from Arkansas which isnt an open carry state, but i deer hunt in Tennessee, which is an open carry state. Tennessee just passed a law about 3 weeks ago that allows permit holders to carry their handguns with them while bow hunting. Friday morning I stopped at the gas station that I always stop at and got my usual Mountain Dew and a sausage and biscuit. I walked in carrying my 1911 openly cocked and locked. I walked right by a police officer and he didnt even bat an eye, got my stuff and left. For lunch that day I walked in a resturant and passed right by 4 police officers and none of them even said a word. Saturday morning, I did the same thing. I walked right by the police officers in the the gas station and they never said a word to me. This morning I went in to the same gas station openly carrying the same 1911 and walked passed 2 police officers. I asked them how they were doing and they said just fine and asked how I was. I was paying for my breakfast and one of the police officers walked right up next to me to get a newspaper and asked me if I was going to kill something today (I was dressed in full camo). I replied that I hoped to and told him about the deer that I had been seeing and he kinda looked down at my gun and told me to have a nice day and walked off. It kinda suprised me that none of the police officers that I saw even asked to see my permit....

Criminals very rarely open carry. :wavey:

KappaAlphaASU
10-05-2009, 19:36
Criminals very rarely open carry. :wavey:

That's kind of what I was thinking as to why they never asked any questions. I guess they figured that if I was open carrying I had a permit and wouldnt do it without one...lol

SCC
10-12-2009, 18:40
I OC'd at an Outback Steakhouse in MN just last night ... was wearing a suit. They burned my wife's steak so they gave her the meal for free, plus they gave us a coupon for a free Bloomin' Onion.

Not sure if anybody noticed my IWB - I was carrying a full size 1911. you said you oc'd but then you say it was IWB that is not open carry

Warp
10-12-2009, 19:11
you said you oc'd but then you say it was IWB that is not open carry

It can be

Jai9100
10-12-2009, 19:25
In camo, with a 1911, Even in MN you'll get the hunter treatment.:supergrin::supergrin:

MedicOni
10-12-2009, 19:40
you said you oc'd but then you say it was IWB that is not open carry
Depends where you are. I could carry something IWB, and if a cover garment is not concealing the grip, then it still is OC

RussP
10-12-2009, 21:39
Folks, please stay with the theme of the thread. Tell about your experiences, don't pick them apart. Your posts will be deleted.

Thorazine
10-13-2009, 01:14

Quite the perfect open carry day!

MaximaDrvr
10-13-2009, 21:18
My story is here:
http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1131788

Rbenton
10-16-2009, 14:06
I've been OC'ing around Wilmington, NC for a while now with almost no problems save the few "are you a cop" questions. Ironically the day after I read this entire thread, I get kicked out of Walmart for OC'ing.

So this morning I took off to run a few errands with my G23 in a blackhawk CQC OWB holster and an extra mag on my weak side. First stop was Advanced Auto Parts to pick up a part for my car. The guy behind the counter asks if I was a cop, I said that i wasn't and then we spent a few minutes talking about how he could get a pistol.

Next stop was Walmart. Went straight to the sporting goods, as I need som .40S&W to take my mom shooting tomorrow( she's anti-gun and never shot before!). Stood around at the counter as it was pretty busy with people buying ammo to go hunting this weekend, everyone saw my glock, no weird looks no one running and screaming. Eventually another woman came to help the guy behind the counter, she helps some guy get a knife then turns to me and this is how the convo went:

Her: How can I help you?

Me: Can I get two boxes of the Federal .40?

Her: I can't sell you any ammo because you have a gun.

Me: What? Why not?

Her: It is against corporate policy.

Me: Please get your store manager.

As she walked away several of the other customers said how ridiculous it was they wouldn't sale to me.

Manager walks up with his name tag turned so you can't see his name: Are you carrying sir?

Me: Yes sir I am

Manager: Sir, you need to leave, it is store policy that you can not have a firearm in the store, you can leave it in your car and come back if you want

Me: I'm not going to leave my gun in the car, also I happen to know it is Walmart's corporate policy to go by the laws of the state, which here in NC say it is legal for my to OC

Him: No it isn't, we've had the police come and escort someone out with a gun before, do I need to call the police?:wow:

Me: No sir, I will leave. But may I have your name? As I will be called your corporate headquarters.

He didn't seem happy about giving his name, but he did, and then followed me out the store. After that I was tempted not to go to books-a-million but did anyways, they saw but didn't even care.

p.s. I've have OC'd at the other walmart in town with no problems, and the one I got kicked out of had no signs posted.

WCrawford
10-17-2009, 22:55
<SNIP> Ironically the day after I read this entire thread, I get kicked out of Walmart for OC'ing.
<SNIP>

Likely this is another case of an uneducated employee not knowing that policies in the employee handbook only apply to employees and not knowing coporate policy, period.

If this was the first time something of this nature had happened, I might chalk it up to an anomoly, but we get stories like this all the time. Retail companies, seemingly, are unable to hire and retain employees that have a modicum of intelligence or work ethic (fast food is much worse, tho).

mnglocker
10-18-2009, 00:58
Likely this is another case of an uneducated employee not knowing that policies in the employee handbook only apply to employees and not knowing coporate policy, period.

If this was the first time something of this nature had happened, I might chalk it up to an anomoly, but we get stories like this all the time. Retail companies, seemingly, are unable to hire and retain employees that have a modicum of intelligence or work ethic (fast food is much worse, tho).

Nahhh, likely a case of first post sock puppet bs.

First off, nobody get's questioned so much while ocing unless they're wearing a neon pink jump-suit and a bozo wig.

Second, nobody is waiting in line at W*M for ammo to go hunting. They don't have any ammo to wait in line for. :tongueout:

sharp
10-18-2009, 01:30
I OC'd today when usually I choose not to in favor of CC. I trailered some horses with a couple of my kids up to the top of a local mountain trail, and after the long ride came back down and stopped at the convenience store for a nice cold Diet Dr Pepper :supergrin:. I had a G19 strong side in a Blade Tech OWB rig. I always open carry when I ride but 99% of the time I never do in public. It was uneventful, but I have to say that I was a little more uncomfortable than normal, like I was drawing attention unto myself, which I did not like. I'm glad it is my right to do so, but I will continue to CC as opposed to OC in the future as much as I can.

Rbenton
10-18-2009, 10:11
Nahhh, likely a case of first post sock puppet bs.

What?

First off, nobody get's questioned so much while ocing unless they're wearing a neon pink jump-suit and a bozo wig.

I guess jeans and a sweatshirt is conspicuous these days.:upeyes:

Second, nobody is waiting in line at W*M for ammo to go hunting. They don't have any ammo to wait in line for. :tongueout:

Mine Has tons of rifle and pistol ammo(except 9mm for some reason), I can go take pics if you don't believe me...:supergrin:

I have still yet to receive any word back from the call I made, or the email I sent. I guess the 3rd biggest corporation in the world doesn't have time for me.

mnglocker
10-18-2009, 10:54
What?

I guess jeans and a sweatshirt is conspicuous these days.:upeyes:

Mine Has tons of rifle and pistol ammo(except 9mm for some reason), I can go take pics if you don't believe me...:supergrin:

I have still yet to receive any word back from the call I made, or the email I sent. I guess the 3rd biggest corporation in the world doesn't have time for me.

Send some up this way. :whistling:

Get the store number and post it, along with the managers name. Post the date and time that this happened. There will more than likely be about 400 P/O'ed emails to W*M by tomorrow morning and you're problem will get fixed ASAP. :devilish: